Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

huh? that's the whole point of it, its a brawler quantized into a turn based ATB system, you're building combos out of component parts to fit into whatever unit of time you've built up. see also legend of legaia, except legend of legaia has a better battle system than ff13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Resistance did a level in Bristol but it was just a random park and I'm sad cause we've got loads of cool landmarks here that belong in video games :(

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

publishko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9yLGoIxBw

a wonderful jam with serious Beach Boys vibes and a singer who sounds like Japanese Paul McCartney

oh thank god the full album's back on youtube

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What was the first game to popularize the whole “yellow exclamation mark for quest givers” thing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Diablo 1 is the earliest thing I can think of that put icons over the heads of people with stuff to say but it probably wasn't the first.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It wasn't the first but I imagine World of Warcraft popularized it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah my first instinct was WOW but I'm sure some older RPGs must have done that. Infinity Engine games maybe

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah my first instinct was WOW but I'm sure some older RPGs must have done that. Infinity Engine games maybe

I don't remember Planescape doing it, you actually had to talk to everyone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah no they didn't do it, it's definitely a Blizzard/MMO thing that crept into every game with quests.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If you don't like this then gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What was the first game to popularize the whole “yellow exclamation mark for quest givers” thing?

It was definitely warcraft.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I once heard they were initially going to go with question marks marking questgivers wanting to ask you for something, and exclamation marks for marking questgivers that can receive a finished quest. There's some blizzard employee out there that decided to flip that around, and now exclamation marks for new quests is the industry standard. (source: a friend that knows insiders. Who knows if this was for real).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bentacos posted:

If you don't like this then gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

The end of the first season of the New DuckTales ended on a cliffhanger that will probably take them to the moon and I cannot wait for the remix of this

xedo posted:

It was definitely warcraft.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I once heard they were initially going to go with question marks marking questgivers wanting to ask you for something, and exclamation marks for marking questgivers that can receive a finished quest. There's some blizzard employee out there that decided to flip that around, and now exclamation marks for new quests is the industry standard. (source: a friend that knows insiders. Who knows if this was for real).

That makes sense to me.

! = "I have a problem!"
? = "Did you solve my problem?"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 15, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoblade 2 does question marks for new quests and exclamation marks for turning them in/updating and it kept loving me up.

Also I think technically the Rexxar campaign in Frozen Throne introduced the quest marker thing before WoW, at least in blizzard games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ff13 has the worst battle system, the least likeable characters, and the most nonsensical story. Lightning is garbage, the setting is garbage.

At least the sequels we're a slight improvement. The only positives I can say for 13 are a couple of the music tracks and the spectacle/graphics at the time the game first came out, but it's not exactly high praise considering it's supposed to be a game and not a movie. Gotta love those 20 minute cutscenes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only good thing about FF13 is Vanille don't @ me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a very good break down and analysis of why Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game, while Final Fantasy X, despite also being a super linear title, is considered one of the best in the franchise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZMJDFe1kc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is a very good break down and analysis of why Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game, while Final Fantasy X, despite also being a super linear title, is considered one of the best in the franchise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZMJDFe1kc

I hate how linearity has somehow become synonymous with bad.

Linearity isn't bad!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
FFXI is the worst FF game by a significant margin, it's not even close.

Complaints about FFXIII's linearity are generally just people being tricked by overworld maps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

I hate how linearity has somehow become synonymous with bad

Usually that's the case, but it doesn't have to be that way. Final Fantasy X is a great example of how to create a linear game that is fun and engaging. I think Call of Duty ruined linear game design.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

Complaints about FFXIII's linearity are generally just people being tricked by overworld maps.

No, it's really not that all because FFX doesn't have an overworld map either. Watch the Youtube link I posted, it's only 15 minutes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish more games were linear instead of a ton of them shoving boring open worlds everywhere

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think if FF13 had had a comprehensible plot I would have walked away from it with a positive impression overall

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
There's one thing that I liked about XIII, when the party gets split I expected Vanille and Hope to get paired and she would do the usual "you can't give in to your anger" stuff, but instead he went with Lightning who was like "here's a knife, kill people with it" and it was pretty cool, for a while.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like FFX because it's one of the few games in the franchise that I think successfully convey an internally consistent and interesting world rather than a slapdash pastiche of impressive visual moments, as most Final Fantasies tend to do.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

The only good thing about FF13 is Vanille don't @ me

I can't support an opinion that calls Sazh bad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

I hate how linearity has somehow become synonymous with bad.

Linearity isn't bad!

I think that was a 7th gen marketing thing on behalf of OW games and ones with false choice systems like 3D>2D before it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
FFXIII isn't just linear, it is literally walking a corridor until you reach your destination, every time. A lot of jRPGs are linear, but at least they put some work into it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
FF13 would have been poo poo even if it had been open world. Linearity in games is fine. Badness, which is what 13 suffers from, is not.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

I said come in! posted:

No, it's really not that all because FFX doesn't have an overworld map either. Watch the Youtube link I posted, it's only 15 minutes.

I am watching the video (it's good, and I generally agree with what it's said so far) but it kind of addresses a different idea than I am.

Specifically addressing the 'just a corridor' argument, it applies to significant chunks of most every FF, the corridor is just wider in the other games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Actually its that people like towns and dungeons, and it instead has corridors with no variation or gimmicks or interesting things to do ever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

Specifically addressing the 'just a corridor' argument, it applies to significant chunks of most every FF, the corridor is just wider in the other games.
yeah but you're speaking metaphorically, those other games have side paths and labyrinths at least, ff13 map design is literally straight line corridors

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool I don't care

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rpg labyrinths are the worst if theres random fights. No wasted steps please

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool I don't care
Its Bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best part of Vanille was all the people in the thread yelling about how fake her accent is and 'how come they couldn't get a real Australian'.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Okay but is this better or worse than that Wildstar info-graphic about all the various poo poo you have to do before you can do a certain thing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Short linear games own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes but you've already established you have bad taste.

Saint Freak posted:

The best part of Vanille was all the people in the thread yelling about how fake her accent is and 'how come they couldn't get a real Australian'.

That happened? :chloe:

I kinda liked her voice tbh.

• Locked thread