Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
E: got my English philosophers wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

mlmp08 posted:

massive companies running so much of the agriculture business rather than families

I know tons of people believe this because the organic/“natural” food industry pumps out a ton of baseless propaganda but it’s simply not true.

Representation in the US is extremely hosed up though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

my kinda ape posted:

I know tons of people believe this because the organic/“natural” food industry pumps out a ton of baseless propaganda but it’s simply not true.

Compared to 1800 or 1900 it’s absolutely true.

To clarify:
Families may own most farms, but smaller families can operate much larger areas thanks to modern tech. So from the perspective of representative democracy, it’s relevant that farmland can be extremely productive without having very many people actually live there compared to the past when it required far more laborers. This in turn increases urbanization, which makes the senate increasingly an obstacle to truly representative democracy.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 15, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nine of Eight posted:

The social contract is more of a Locke and Rousseau thing, Hobbes was all about how life was "nasty, short and brutish" and therefore it was perfectly ok to have a strongman in charge.

Leviathan was the precursor to all of that.

Leviathan posted:

Sovereign power can be attained in two ways. One is by natural force, as when a man makes his children submit themselves and their children to his government, by being able to destroy them if they refuse, or•subdues his enemies to his will by war, sparing their lives on condition that they submit their wills to his government.

The other is when men agree amongst themselves to submit to someone man or assembly of men, doing this voluntarily in the confidence that this man or assembly will protect them against all others. This latter, may be called a political commonwealth, or commonwealth by institution, and the former a commonwealth by acquisition.

His deal was life in nature sucks because folks don't cooperate, and that's why folk banded together either by force or by choice and gave up some of their rights and in return the sovereign won't abuse them, and in return for that the people won't send for guillotines.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 15, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
leviathan was a perfectly great description of how it was in the english civil war when life was complete poo poo, and how hobbes's life in particular was poo poo

good luck translating it to all time for all mankind

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here’s a story about three dudes, a DA, and some civilian guy who was just found guilty of some bad poo poo.

https://twitter.com/eveewing/status/1040814084382502912?s=21

Also a story about how loving absurd “racially tinged” is. It’s everywhere in the news and is some chickenshit stuff.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

Here’s a story about three dudes, a DA, and some civilian guy who was just found guilty of some bad poo poo.

https://twitter.com/eveewing/status/1040814084382502912?s=21

Also a story about how loving absurd “racially tinged” is. It’s everywhere in the news and is some chickenshit stuff.

we can't discuss this

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

mlmp08 posted:

Families may own most farms, but smaller families can operate much larger areas thanks to modern tech. So from the perspective of representative democracy, it’s relevant that farmland can be extremely productive without having very many people actually live there compared to the past when it required far more laborers. This in turn increases urbanization, which makes the senate increasingly an obstacle to truly representative democracy.

That’s exactly the case but that's not really what you said in the initial post.

Sorry, I get extremely triggered because people are constantly repeating the lie that EVIL MEGACORPS CONTROL THE FOOD SUPPLY!!!1!!!1! but I know that's not what you were getting at.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://mic.com/articles/191339/hurricane-florence-coast-guard-member-removed-from-response-team#.fNuTJQBM0

https://twitter.com/jgobble/status/...m-response-team

https://twitter.com/USCG/status/104...m-response-team

its just coincidence though I'm sure dude just wanted ALL LIVES to be OK

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mods changed my name posted:

we can't discuss this

The institutional racism is the story. A former cop who is now a civilian is incidental to that story.

If we cant discuss this case, we can’t discuss Black Lives Matter, any protest/demonstration where police show up, how legislators pass racially unfair laws that cops have to enforce, how businesses leverage police, whether the police like it or not, and a myriad of other issues.

That’d be really dumb.

I get not wanting a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking of every time a cop hits someone or shoots someone.

But if we cant discuss institutional racism and have to ignore it just because cops are often in some piece of that institutional racism, that’d be a really hosed up way of silencing discussion of a broad range of social and legal issues.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

The institutional racism is the story. A former cop who is now a civilian is incidental to that story.

If we cant discuss this case, we can’t discuss Black Lives Matter, any protest/demonstration where police show up, how legislators pass racially unfair laws that cops have to enforce, how businesses leverage police, whether the police like it or not, and a myriad of other issues.

That’d be really dumb.

I get not wanting a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking of every time a cop hits someone or shoots someone.

But if we cant discuss institutional racism and have to ignore it just because cops are often in some piece of that institutional racism, that’d be a really hosed up way of silencing discussion of a broad range of social and legal issues.

oh yeah I re read the rule and I guess you're fine as long as we don't talk about "bad shoots"

anyhow yeah, I think it was Jose that posted it in the COPS thread and I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that this story is playing out in towns and counties all across the country. It's funny because the dude had to go for "100% of crime solved!"

like yeah not suspicious at all dude, but i guess no one ever accused of anyone in law enforcement of being intelligent or having any other conviction beyond the advancement of their career and white supremacy

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 15, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
it's pretty loving lovely and stupid to make new rules and bury them in a thread instead of leaving in the rules thread that was posted by like 3 mods ago!

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's also just a really bad rule in general! Can't talk about our Heroes In Blue© murdering innocent civilians and then trying to also destroy the victim's reputation!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Mods learned from the police it's easier just to kill something than to do your job

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Have you ever gotten a report about a post and had to read the thread, not knowing what you’d find when you clicked on it? Have you posted in another subforum, worried that another poster might recognize you and flame you just because you’re a mod? Ever had to break up drunken slap fights at 2 am, knowing that you’ll be back there the same night until someone quits posting or buys the other person a big red text avatar?

No? Well, maybe then you’ll Support Our Mods. Their 1* to give is getting fatter handing out six-hour probations while you run your mouth on these forums.

Back the Blue (Star.)

Mods Lives Matter.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

That’s exactly the case but that's not really what you said in the initial post.

Sorry, I get extremely triggered because people are constantly repeating the lie that EVIL MEGACORPS CONTROL THE FOOD SUPPLY!!!1!!!1! but I know that's not what you were getting at.

The consolidation of farms is the problem people are getting at, not the ownership structure. Fewer, larger farms that grow mostly indistinguishable commodity crops and rely on hired (often migrant) labor has definitely been the trend even if most of them remain sole proprietorships. The image of the American farmer as a plucky, struggling yeoman is mostly a lie today - the average farm family is quite a bit richer than the average American family.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

mods changed my name posted:

Mods learned from the police it's easier just to kill something than to do your job

o dang

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The consolidation of farms is the problem people are getting at, not the ownership structure. Fewer, larger farms that grow mostly indistinguishable commodity crops and rely on hired (often migrant) labor has definitely been the trend even if most of them remain sole proprietorships. The image of the American farmer as a plucky, struggling yeoman is mostly a lie today - the average farm family is quite a bit richer than the average American family.

You don’t have to tell me, I grew up on a fairly well off grain farm.

My point is that there's a certain sub industry that profits from creating the false image that huge corporations are producing all of the conventional crops while they, the plucky struggling yeoman, produce the ~real~ healthy food. Mechanization has greatly reduced the amount of labor required for food production which is a good thing! Certain people misrepresenting the results of this change as a marketing ploy is not good IMO.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I am sometimes amused when I see a “family” farm in the sense that one dude and his wife do indeed own the whole farm or ranch, but they span across state lines and employ dozens or hundreds of people.

It’s like calling every privately owned business by one person family a “family business,” even if the family is the one guy who owns the business, employing thousands.

Technically true but misleading.

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/clintsmithiii/status/1040637046367371267?s=21

Lol that some people want them fines/charged for rescue but are dine with the federal flood insurance program subsidizing building beachfront homes and businesses for the wealthy.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Small business owner” is also a loving joke in the political and regulatory arena.

A shipping line I worked with was considered a small business. Sure they had dozens of gigantic cargo ships but they were all mortgaged with offshore banks... And they only had about a hundred employees - the ship’s crews were all subcontractor’s employees.

It was loving hilarious when their two full time lobbyist would go to the barricades tearing out their shirt over the plight of the small business owner.

People hear small business and they think Jim Bob’s Garage and Machine Shop by the river. On the average it’s more like Licorice Valley McDonald’s Franchise Management LLC.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Godholio posted:

Getting a drunk text - oh, no it's actually from the President - will.

It's going to be Roosevelt's fireside chats only on my cell phone, I can't wait

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/clintsmithiii/status/1040637046367371267?s=21

Lol that some people want them fines/charged for rescue but are dine with the federal flood insurance program subsidizing building beachfront homes and businesses for the wealthy.

I'm waiting for some GBS economist to come in and talk about why that's good

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FrozenVent posted:

“Small business owner” is also a loving joke in the political and regulatory arena.

A shipping line I worked with was considered a small business. Sure they had dozens of gigantic cargo ships but they were all mortgaged with offshore banks... And they only had about a hundred employees - the ship’s crews were all subcontractor’s employees.

It was loving hilarious when their two full time lobbyist would go to the barricades tearing out their shirt over the plight of the small business owner.

People hear small business and they think Jim Bob’s Garage and Machine Shop by the river. On the average it’s more like Licorice Valley McDonald’s Franchise Management LLC.

"small business" and "family business" are vague political terms. It's easier to talk about revenue or market cap. If your revenue is over 5 million you're not a small business. If it's over 100 million you're not a medium size business.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1041041760959557632?s=21

:whitewater:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is this far enough removed from cops being fucks to be able to discuss it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ellas no fueron ángeles...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

*Loudly wonders if this guy got hired after Donnie lowered hiring standards.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

*Loudly wonders if this guy got hired after Donnie lowered hiring standards.

Honestly the CBP has a ton of garbage regardless of who's the President

Managers at my firm keep trying to convince me to work on CBP projects and I keep telling them I'm morally opposed. Every time the response is "yea that makes sense"

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 15, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

someone is getting a promotion

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Professor Bling posted:

They're still Border Cops so we'll all get hit. It's like when Harry Potter squints at something hard enough for it to look like a snake so he can talk to it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Oh and they're a 10 yr veteran

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1041064211743432705

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So who's with me in turning our phones off during Donnie's phone alert?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Odds that he stalked and abducted/killed women based on intel he oversaw?

I don't know if that's :tinfoil: or :2018:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arrath posted:

Odds that he stalked and abducted/killed women based on intel he oversaw?

I don't know if that's :tinfoil: or :2018:

Nah, that's just :cop: stuff

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Casimir Radon posted:

So who's with me in turning our phones off during Donnie's phone alert?

Gonna block it. You’d have to pay me money to make me listen to him when I’m not on the clock.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/north-carolina-cops-complain-dollar-store-managers-ask-not-arrest-black-looters-hurricane/

Cops upset that they've been asked to leave people alone that are gathering needed supplies after two days without power

Because the cops want to arrest (possibly at least rough up) these people for the crime of trying not to starve in a hurricane

Or is this poo poo too "bad shoot" adjacent too?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LingcodKilla posted:

Gonna block it. You’d have to pay me money to make me listen to him when I’m not on the clock.

I want to register it as a nuisance call w Verizon and or report it to the FTC as spam

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It’s probably going to come through like the emergency alerts smartphones get that you can’t ignore.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

It’s probably going to come through like the emergency alerts smartphones get that you can’t ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loving Amber alerts. They picked an apocalypse siren to warn me that a Corolla was last seen 400 miles away.

• Locked thread