Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I have this monitor, and it screen tears so bad. I don't know how to describe it other than I get a line in the middle of my screen that gets shifted all the way to the left of the monitor. It's like a vertical band 5 pixels wide that shifts all the way to the left, so if I put my mouse cursor right over it, I'll see a weird distorted cursor and then a cut segment of it to the left.

Usually to fix it, I have two monitors. If I click on my right monitor then back to the left monitor, the left monitor flashes black and the screen tear disappears. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

That sucks. Do you have a question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

yeah i'm half asleep, my question is: how do I fix this, or figure out why this issue is happening. it's driving me nuts, especially when i'm watching movies.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

yeah i'm half asleep, my question is: how do I fix this, or figure out why this issue is happening. it's driving me nuts, especially when i'm watching movies.

You just need to troubleshoot. Swap OSes, cables, ports, GPUs and/or computers until you isolate the bit that’s hosed up. Replace or repair the hosed up bit.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Are they running on the same video card?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Qubee posted:

I have this monitor, and it screen tears so bad. I don't know how to describe it other than I get a line in the middle of my screen that gets shifted all the way to the left of the monitor. It's like a vertical band 5 pixels wide that shifts all the way to the left, so if I put my mouse cursor right over it, I'll see a weird distorted cursor and then a cut segment of it to the left.

Usually to fix it, I have two monitors. If I click on my right monitor then back to the left monitor, the left monitor flashes black and the screen tear disappears. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

So you say you have two monitors, have you tried switching the ports the monitors are connected to? Cuz if the same artifact appears on the other screen when its hooked up in the reversed way, at least you know the monitor is fine and its your GPU that's messed up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Are they running on the same video card?

Yeah so if changing the cables and ports and drivers and OS doesn’t solve the problem, you swap with a different GPU and see if it’s that. If it’s a laptop you plug a different laptop in. I’m sure there’s a more efficient way to do it but that’s how I’d troubleshoot the problem. :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I make the YouTube website never enable auto-play ever again? It seems like every few days I have to toggle that drat switch back off. I don't even watch a whole lot.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

hooah posted:

How can I make the YouTube website never enable auto-play ever again? It seems like every few days I have to toggle that drat switch back off. I don't even watch a whole lot.

Various browser extensions can handle that. I like Enhancer for Youtube, which also has settings to automatically remove annotations and in-video ads, plus lots of other features.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

Are you logged in? It stays off permanently for me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What are those big kitchen sinks called with the detachable hoses and wide basins? The one shown in this video.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’m looking for a page from a Winnie the Pooh book that I saw posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago. It’s from one of the older books I believe, and it has Pooh sitting there doing nothing. Someone (rabbit?) comes and tells him he needs to go do something and Pooh talks about listening to the trees or some poo poo. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The sink's just an ordinary flush-mounted stainless steel sink; they come in a wide choice of widths here. The fancy faucets are usually advertised as "restaurant style" or "commercial style".

(edit to add: you can get sinks that size and bigger for cheap at Home Depot, which is I guess the equivalent of B&Q or Homebase in the U.K.?)

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 14, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’m looking for a page from a Winnie the Pooh book that I saw posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago. It’s from one of the older books I believe, and it has Pooh sitting there doing nothing. Someone (rabbit?) comes and tells him he needs to go do something and Pooh talks about listening to the trees or some poo poo. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

I got you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whats that long hamburger thing you can get at Mediterranean restaurants called ? The one that looks exactly like a turd but tastes really good.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Sounds like kofta, one of the pinnacles of human achievement.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Kofta Kebab? Maybe a falafel?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that's it. Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

Are you logged in? It stays off permanently for me.

Yes, I'm logged in.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

veni veni veni posted:

Whats that long hamburger thing you can get at Mediterranean restaurants called ? The one that looks exactly like a turd but tastes really good.

Never quit your day job to become a food critic.

Please.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PainterofCrap posted:

Please.

A Pakistani coworker of mine brought me one one day. It is impossible to overstate how much this thing looked like a turd in a bun. But it was delicious.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Answered!

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 20, 2018

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is there someplace online where I can either download for free, or purchase printed a large, high quality topographical map of a given area I select? Continental US. I'm looking to get about a 200x200 square mile map that I can print at about 3.5x3.5 feet, so it needs to be pretty darn high resolution.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 15, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

value-brand cereal posted:

I bought a generic, cheapest option locking doorknob from home depot for my bedroom door. I did so because I'm 90 percent sure one of my room mates was looking through my stuff and moving around my personal items. Other than buying some spy cameras and setting them up in my room, I can't say for sure. And I'd rather not go through the trouble of recording myself. That's weird. Also I'm not able to break the lease, and will have to be here for several months. I don't want to rock the boat and make poo poo worse, or weird. It's a shared kitchen/living room and I do have to see them.

My question is this. Is there any way he could get a copy of the key? It is a generic lock set. Am I being paranoid? I just don't want my undies fiddled with. He's made comments after I installed the lock that makes me think he's somehow gotten a key or is able to break in without leaving evidence of such.

Raking a lock, particularly a cheap lock, is often an easy and quick way to lockpick a door. Nothing like camera evidence - probably your best bet.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

I bought a generic, cheapest option locking doorknob from home depot for my bedroom door. I did so because I'm 90 percent sure one of my room mates was looking through my stuff and moving around my personal items. Other than buying some spy cameras and setting them up in my room, I can't say for sure. And I'd rather not go through the trouble of recording myself. That's weird. Also I'm not able to break the lease, and will have to be here for several months. I don't want to rock the boat and make poo poo worse, or weird. It's a shared kitchen/living room and I do have to see them.

My question is this. Is there any way he could get a copy of the key? It is a generic lock set. Am I being paranoid? I just don't want my undies fiddled with. He's made comments after I installed the lock that makes me think he's somehow gotten a key or is able to break in without leaving evidence of such.

unless he takes the lockset up to a hardware store to get the thing rekeyed to a master key, no, i dont think so. i used to rekey locks at a hardware store about ten years ago, but i dont have an expert level of knowledge, so someone please correct me if im wrong.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

kedo posted:

Is there someplace online where I can either download for free, or purchase printed a large, high quality topographical map of a given area I select? Continental US. I'm looking to get about a 200x200 square mile map that I can print at about 3.5x3.5 feet, so it needs to be pretty darn high resolution.

The USGS has something called the National Map, which is topo and has a print feature. You might have to zoom in to your desired area and print it as a grid and edit it together (or edit the pdfs together into a large image and then print that). There might be another service somewhere on their site I'm not seeing that's easier, too, but give them a shot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Van Dis posted:

The USGS has something called the National Map, which is topo and has a print feature. You might have to zoom in to your desired area and print it as a grid and edit it together (or edit the pdfs together into a large image and then print that). There might be another service somewhere on their site I'm not seeing that's easier, too, but give them a shot.

Nice, that looks like it could be exactly what I'm looking for... now I just need to make it actually export a map at the size I need. :) Thanks!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Someone with basic lock-picking skills and the right tools could open the lock fairly quickly, like thirty seconds quickly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Someone with basic lock-picking skills and the right tools could open the lock fairly quickly, like thirty seconds quickly.

If it is one where the bolt is pushed in, then out, when the door closes, you can open it with a bit of bent metal about as quickly as using the key.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

What makes you think your roommate is doing this?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Put a tiny slip of paper in the door jamb when you close it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Please.

Wasn't planning on it. Mmmmm, turds

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PainterofCrap posted:

Please.

Are you kidding? I’d love to read more reviews like this.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Better yet, put a piece of pencil lead in the door and then put a piece of paper in the jamb somewhere obvious. If the paper is there but the lead broken, you’ve got someone trying to cover their tracks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Be careful with the knowledge you gain from your counter-espionage activities. Do not do anything to reveal what you know, as it will cause your enemy to alter their own methods, and you’ll be back to square one :ninja:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Farrier Theaks posted:

unless he takes the lockset up to a hardware store to get the thing rekeyed to a master key, no, i dont think so. i used to rekey locks at a hardware store about ten years ago, but i dont have an expert level of knowledge, so someone please correct me if im wrong.

Cheap locks frequently have a standard set of keys. They're also stupidly easy to jimmy open without they key as well. Master locks are absolute god damned garbage but they're cheap so they're everywhere.

Even not exactly cheap locks can be standardized. Like at work every cube has locking drawers, a locker, and some other stuff in it. In theory you can lock up your crap and not have to worry about coworkers or cleaning staff taking it. In practice you can look at the number on the lock, order keys for it online, and open it. So if you got a complete set of the keys for that type of locker and drawer you could open literally all of them. It isn't even restricted to the office I'm in; any office that uses that style container with that style lock can be opened by the standard set of keys. Just get the right number.

There's actually one very specific key that locksmiths try first on basically every lock they see as it opens like 25% of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cheap locks frequently have a standard set of keys. They're also stupidly easy to jimmy open without they key as well. Master locks are absolute god damned garbage but they're cheap so they're everywhere.

Even not exactly cheap locks can be standardized. Like at work every cube has locking drawers, a locker, and some other stuff in it. In theory you can lock up your crap and not have to worry about coworkers or cleaning staff taking it. In practice you can look at the number on the lock, order keys for it online, and open it. So if you got a complete set of the keys for that type of locker and drawer you could open literally all of them. It isn't even restricted to the office I'm in; any office that uses that style container with that style lock can be opened by the standard set of keys. Just get the right number.

There's actually one very specific key that locksmiths try first on basically every lock they see as it opens like 25% of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b9IYqsb_U

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Seconded. Deviant Ollam has a lot of great talks but this is a particularly eye-opening one.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Lock talk: we are in the process of buying a new house, and plan on replacing the locks as soon as it’s ours. What should we look for in terms of a secure, not-cheap deadbolt lock? The inspector recommended getting a number code lock since we will be having kids, and teaching kids a number combo is easier than giving them a key and having them potentially lose it. Are number pad locks in any way less secure than a key lock?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
All locks are only as secure as the social contract in your community. Get whatever lock makes you feel good because nothing’s going to stop someone who REALLY wants to get into your house. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

All locks are only as secure as the social contract in your community. Get whatever lock makes you feel good because nothing’s going to stop someone who REALLY wants to get into your house. :shrug:

This is the correct advice.

But if you are looking for GOOD (as in, operates well, good quality) Schlage is where it's at in the mid tier in my opinion. Don't go buying Kwikset hardware from LowesDepot (Kwikset makes good stuff, you just won't find it there).

If you want fancy home automation stuff with a keypad the Schalge Connect series (deadbolt) seems pretty solid. I installed one a week ago and so far so good (did my research first - they seem to be well reviewed). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGK9KJG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They also have mechanical key press lockset (for handles) that work very well.

Ninja edit: FYI, I would never connect a lock in my house to the internets. My home automation is entirely offline.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 16, 2018