Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Zoids looks like a poor man's Power Rangers.

Power Rangers looks like a poor mans power rangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Fine but downgraded earlier, ok but downgraded mid game and 10 FPS late game

Can a nonsadbrains poster corroborate?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

American McGay posted:

Is this actually confirmed anywhere or are people making baseless speculations? It only has 4 buttons, so it's highly questionable how it would function as a standard controller even if it were allowed.

From the Nintendo AU website

"Please note: Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers can only be used while detached from the Nintendo Switch system, and only to play NES – Nintendo Switch Online games. Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers can be charged by attaching to the Nintendo Switch system."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan_Shore posted:

The only similarity between the two is that Zoids has giant robot dinosaurs, and Power Rangers very occasionally has giant robot dinosaurs

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've started putting together Vehicle LABO and realised that Nintendo gets cardboard better than it gets online.

Voice chat via string phones when?

Reality Pisser posted:

Can a nonsadbrains poster corroborate?
There was a review saying that Paradox pushed it out with performance issues, because they didn't think people would care, and because patching is free.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alan_Shore posted:

Zoids pre-dates Power Rangers by about 10 years

not Sentai shows though

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/reggenator/status/1040375095968055296

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

"Please note: Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers can only be used while detached from the Nintendo Switch system, and only to play NES – Nintendo Switch Online games. Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers can be charged by attaching to the Nintendo Switch system."

So they're both more expensive and less functional than finding an original NES or NES Classic controller and converting it to Bluetooth with one of these kits. Good job Nintendo!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’d personally rather pay more for Nintendo’s online service and get more games. NES is cool, but some SNES games and indies mixed in would be a lot more exciting to me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It will have giant robot dinosaurs, that's the whole concept of Zoids. But the difference is that this is based off Zoids Wild, where people ride on top of the dinosaurs, not in them

Leena with her Gun Sniper, from Zoids New Century

No I'm talking about Zeke! And shadow, the stupidest name for a robot dinosaur. I think there was a blue one too? They were tiny, not much bigger then the humans

Also very glad sniper raptor was real

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

So they're both more expensive and less functional than finding an original NES or NES Classic controller and converting it to Bluetooth with one of these kits. Good job Nintendo!
Actually they're $10 cheaper.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Riding on top of the dinosaurs seems very unsafe

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feenix posted:

Totally forgot I ordered Labo 3. Showed up today. I’m amped to have my kid play it.

I'd love to hear how this goes. I'll probably never get Labo, there's absolutely nowhere to store it in the flat, but the vehicle one looks particularly cool. I want to know how expansive the gameplay actually is.

Looking at this it's pretty cool that many English speakers with close to no knowledge of Spanish can understand the joke if only thanks to the old "Yo quiero Taco Bell" ads from the 90's. Foto sounds enough like Photo that the joke should automatically make sense to most people.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's a new Zoids cartoon running right now, Zoids Wild

Oh, neato.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

I’d still say it’s 50/50 that this is just a COA so people don’t complain when they can’t play BotW with an NES controller, and that in the end they’ll function as a plain 8 button Bluetooth controller. Considering how easy it is to pair JoyCons and the Pro controller to laptops and phones, I doubt Nintendo’s going to develop a new protocol just to keep these exclusive to one game mode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mandatory lesbian posted:

No I'm talking about Zeke! And shadow, the stupidest name for a robot dinosaur. I think there was a blue one too? They were tiny, not much bigger then the humans

Also very glad sniper raptor was real

Oh, that must've been Zoids Chaotic Century. I only wanted Zoids New Century

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh wait I think there was a lady in a sniper raptor, which is a cool as heck sentence I hope it's a real memory

There was also a whole team of ladies in sniper raptors who actually used them as sniper raptors, before the team's gun crazy girl bought one with all the attachments and used it as a dakka platform.

Zoids are basically animal mecha. Some are dinosaurs, some are ligers (lions and/or tigers), some are wolves, some are insects, arthropods or other invertebrates. Also there's whale ones that fly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Zoids pre-dates Power Rangers by about 10 years

not Sentai shows though

Then it doesn't predate Power Rangers! How dare you!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan_Shore posted:

Then it doesn't predate Power Rangers! How dare you!

It predates Zyuranger, the Sentai show that became the first season of Power Rangers and the first Sentai series to feature dinosaur robots, by a decade

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

When I was little I had a Zoids knockoff that was a caterpillar and it owned. Bugs, robots, and guns hell yeah

e: \/ Spider-Man had the giant robot and everything on the Japanese show!

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 15, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spider-Man was the original Sentai show.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zoids was extremely my poo poo when I a young lad

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Spider-Man was the original Sentai show.

This is loving me up, like you watch the Japanese Spiderman intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PePr8hAsc

Then wonder why he has a mech and find out this show predates all the other Sentai shows.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Pretty sure there were a few ur-sentai and ur-giant mecha shows in like the 50s. I'm sure there's some Japanese TV grognard on the forums who can chime in, I just can't recall their username at the moment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spider-Man wasn't the first toku show but it it did popularise them and was the first to have the now ubiquitous sentai piloted giant robot battles

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spider-Mean wasn't the first Tokusatsu show to feature a giant robot, it was the first Toei-produced Tokusatsu show to feature a giant robot. Super Sentai had already been runnig for a couple seasons, but didn't feature a giant robot. After the succes of the giant robot in Spider-Man, Toei introdiced giant robots to Super Sentai.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

It predates Zyuranger, the Sentai show that became the first season of Power Rangers and the first Sentai series to feature dinosaur robots, by a decade

I don't want to hear it, man!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, there were two Sentai shows before, they just didn't have the robots. Then they did the robot for Spidey and thought hey let's do it in Sentai.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably should say, Tokusatsu means live-action movies and TV shows with an emphasis on practical special effects. Basically, guys in rubber suits stomping on buildings, and fights in quarries with lots of pyrotechnics. If Doctor Who was made in Japan, it would be a Tokusatsu show.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why doesn't Peter Parker have a giant robot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

he sucks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

y'all are loving with preconceptions i didn't even know i had

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He's broke af with a freelance gig. Iron Man's most convincing argument for him to team up was "We have money."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffle! posted:

He's broke af with a freelance gig. Iron Man's most convincing argument for him to team up was "We have money."

Why doesn't Tony Stark give Peter Parker a giant robot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why doesn't Tony Stark give Peter Parker a giant robot

he sucks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess the other question is, how did Japanese Spider-Man get a robot...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

quote:

Young motorcycle racer Takuya Yamashiro sees a UFO falling to earth, in fact a space warship named the Marveller. Takuya's father Dr. Hiroshi Yamashiro, a space archaeologist, investigates the case, but is killed upon finding the spaceship. The incident also attracts the attention of Professor Monster and his evil Iron Cross Army (鉄十字団 Tetsu Jūji Dan), an alien group that plans to rule the universe.

Takuya follows his father to the Marveller and discovers Garia, the last surviving warrior of Planet Spider, a world that was destroyed by Professor Monster and the Iron Cross Army. Garia explains that he was hunting Prof. Monster but now needs someone to carry on the fight and he injects Takuya with some of his own blood. The blood of a person from Planet Spider gives Takuya spider-like powers. Garia then gives Takuya a bracelet that can activate his spider protector costume, shoot web-lines, and controls the Marveller ship (which can also transform into a giant battle robot called "Leopardon"). Using his powers, Takuya fights Professor Monster's army and other threats to Earth under the name Spider-Man.

pretty obvious when you think about it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone has robots in Japan, they give you one at immigration if you're visiting.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This means zoids came out in the 80's? That's unreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spidermans robot prop got stolen a partway through filming, forcing them to use stock footage to steamroll everything for the rest of the show.

• Locked thread