Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

luxury handset posted:

uhh dallas has the largest light rail system in the nation and is still expanding it? seattle's system clocks in just below charlotte, north carolina. if you're going to be costally smug at least be factual about it

and you're missing my point besides. its great to say "lets build sixty story residential towers" on paper but why doesn't that happen in reality? there's a little word, it is externalities :ssh:

value capture is nice and all but without strong central government direction and coordination (which doesn't exist anywhere in america) really all planning and transportation organizations are just playing catch up to demographic trends and the market

Dude, my point was only that we’re actually willing to invest in infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

Dude, my point was only that we’re actually willing to invest in infrastructure.

who is we? coastal cities? like i said, most major cities in america are investing in infrastructure. dallas, texas is wiping the floor with every other city in the us in terms of rail construction and has been for over a decade

if you want gloat about coastal liberal bastions at least do some research first, trading in nonfactual stereotypes is... a bad look

e: ah sorry i get it, you're saying "but we are expanding light rail". sure, but not to the degree that it will support widespread highrises. incremental expansion of the transit network, which is what is economically feasible for most metro areas, isn't enough to support that kind of build out. i'm just trying to piss on the wild idea that there are many areas in america where it is feasible to do large stretches of ultra dense housing or that you can just put down some trains and make it happen - really to get into ultra high tier density you need to rely mostly on pedestrian traffic serviced by underground heavy rail which is in this day and age, expensive as poo poo to build. something like new york with tunnels dug a hundred years ago, and still riding that legacy of mass exploitation. pacific coast cities, as young and geologically hostile as they are, will have a hard time approaching that kind of density. even tokyo only pulled it off because of unamerican levels of government/private coordination and subsidy, as well as the silver lining of the prior development being utterly annihilated in a war making it relatively cheap to rebuild

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 31, 2018

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

KingFisher posted:

Like in my example tallest thing allowed on the mall site is 6 stories.

Nowhere in this loving state to build a residential building over ten stories so everyone gets to pay $1200+/mo for a lovely 1br in a 3 story apartment complex 70+ loving miles from, you know, where the jobs are.

Even Amazon building a loving company town won't help.

:sherman:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

luxury handset posted:

uhh dallas has the largest light rail system in the nation and is still expanding it? seattle's system clocks in just below charlotte, north carolina. if you're going to be costally smug at least be factual about it
Dallas also has a transit mode share of a whopping 2% so if they have the biggest light rail system they must be loving up the implementation big time one way or another, probably zoning & car-oriented transportation policies elsewhere if I had to guess.

Seattle's is at 10% which ain't great, but still five times as high.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

luxury handset posted:

first you were saying we should just massively upzone, now it's only around transit stations - or you're leading up to a large scale expansion of the light rail network. while you're rubbing that genie lamp can i get a winning lotto ticket pls?
Upzoning the whole city to at least missing middle type housing would be a massive upzone by US standards, as sad as it is. This type of upzone was recommended by the HALA committee, and was going to go in before the NIMBY backlash from people terrified of desegregation.

And then you can put high rises on top of/next to the train stations, maybe steal a page from Hong Kong's playbook to generate revenue while you're at it if that's feasible.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

Upzoning the whole city to at least missing middle type housing would be a massive upzone by US standards, as sad as it is. This type of upzone was recommended by the HALA committee, and was going to go in before the NIMBY backlash from people terrified of desegregation.

And then you can put high rises on top of/next to the train stations, maybe steal a page from Hong Kong's playbook to generate revenue while you're at it if that's feasible.

Yep the city should be capturing all of the net new tax revenue from new residental construction and using it for funding a lane separated BRT system to be eventually enhanced with subway/light rail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

Dallas also has a transit mode share of a whopping 2% so if they have the biggest light rail system they must be loving up the implementation big time one way or another, probably zoning & car-oriented transportation policies elsewhere if I had to guess.

Seattle's is at 10% which ain't great, but still five times as high.

this doesn't matter in the context of the dicussion that was had. when it comes to how willing a locality is and was to fund infrastructure growth, you can look at growth of infrastructure directly instead of ridership, or track width, or the quality of the graffiti in the bathrooms etc.

"how much track are they willing to put down? well, let's look at how much track is on the ground and how much is budgeted for right now"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Even if you are talking about track length (which honestly doesn't tell you that much), the Portland Metro area has a larger system per capita. Arguably so does Salt Lake City and Denver as well.

Of course, at least Dallas is putting in an effort.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Even if you are talking about track length (which honestly doesn't tell you that much), the Portland Metro area has a larger system per capita. Arguably so does Salt Lake City and Denver as well.

yeah but the denver, salt lake, and portland metropolitan areas collectively have less population than dallas, the fourth largest metro in the nation, so

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

luxury handset posted:

yeah but the denver, salt lake, and portland metropolitan areas collectively have less population than dallas, the fourth largest metro in the nation, so

More or less my point, that said at least Dallas isn't doing zero. Denver's system especially has gone through a growth spurt, and if anything shows that surge of capital investment can work (I am less sure of their PPPs).

Btw, I think ridership in all of these systems will be depressed until oil prices rise or a recession hits. Car culture is still way too dominant in most American cities.

Portland, for example, arguably may be better served by trying out more BRT. The Division BRT corridor is probably the best you are going to be able to accomplish to serve areas with no ROWs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ardennes posted:

More or less my point, that said at least Dallas isn't doing zero. Denver's system especially has gone through a growth spurt, and if anything shows that surge of capital investment can work (I am less sure of their PPPs).

Btw, I think ridership in all of these systems will be depressed until oil prices rise or a recession hits. Car culture is still way too dominant in most American cities.

Portland, for example, arguably may be better served by trying out more BRT. The Division BRT corridor is probably the best you are going to be able to accomplish to serve areas with no ROWs.

Snohomish County (just north of Seattle) is taking the BRT route. Their first line account for 20% of all ridership.

I believe they have two more lines planned, with the first coming online by the end of the year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fermun posted:

As originally written, SB 827 was nothing but a gentrification engine which immediately upzoned all areas with decent public transit and would have displaced the poor in areas with low property values but decent transit. It also allowed for outlying areas to continue to be NIMBYs by just cutting back on bus line service.

Wiener never claimed that the first draft of it was meant to be final.

quote:

It was later amended to be better and include some amendments to help with displacement and gentrification, but from the start it was written without any consulting with any advocacy groups.

Who gives a gently caress. That's like the carbon tax bill in Washington state that the far left defeated because it wasn't perfect. Well it's years later, and there's still no carbon tax. Policy is either good or bad in a vacuum, and the idea that you have to do endless stakeholdering is both silly and a massive waste of time given that this is usually a trojan horse for groups that will never support you. Why should we care that a bunch of rich NIMBYs are pissed that it'll destroy their property values? Those are precisely the people we should be trying to run roughshod over. The bill was defeated for now, which means that the rich win and the poor and homeless lose.

quote:

YIMBYism as I've seen it expressed, is a fundamentally libertarian capitalist ideology, it starts from a compromised position of doing what the large developers and landlords would like to have changed and doesn't have an answer for what happens when the developers build enough high end that they see a luxury housing demand decline so move on to where it's more profitable to build in another city, another state, another country, or hell, their investors just move on to another non-construction investment.

You're ignoring local YIMBY groups are largely poor and minority, and again display your complete ignorance of the topic. To use the example I'm most familiar with, the YIMBY ideal is Fred Trump pumping out massive housing complexes for the middle class, which is currently illegal in New York due to zoning laws. The zoning code since the 60s forbids tall buildings outside of Midtown and the Upper East Side. Developers build for the super rich when that's the only possible way for them to make a profit. We saw what happened in the 40s and 50s before zoning codes expanded.

The only way to actually stop displacement is to build enough housing in rich neighborhoods that the displacement never happens. No one cared about Mission until everywhere else was filled up, and it just happened to be because of zoning, Mission and SOMA were the only places left where you could build at all.

Spacewolf posted:

Does anyone have anything on planning/housing *outside* of SF/the Bay Area/California....?

(I live in NJ, going to be living in Florida near West Palm Beach...This whole California-focused thing feels like it'd be better in a California-focused tbh? Like, when I see DCCC I don't even know what it's referring to since it's obv not the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee...)

I'm in NJ and posted about metro NY a few pages back.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

the YIMBY ideal is Fred Trump pumping out massive housing complexes for the middle class

lol that you claim a racist landlord as the YIMBY ideal as if it is a good thing.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

lol that you claim a racist landlord as the YIMBY ideal as if it is a good thing.

Massive housing complexes for the middle class would be cool and good.

It would solve 60% of the housing problem and stop the economic displacement of the poor since the middle class would not be forced to kick the poor our and take thier units.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

luxury handset posted:

dallas, texas is wiping the floor with every other city in the us in terms of rail construction and has been for over a decade

if you want gloat about coastal liberal bastions at least do some research first, trading in nonfactual stereotypes is... a bad look

Its good to hear that Dallas is investing in infrastructure, but the fundamental limitation of transit in any city is almost entirely an issue of density. Dallas covers a massive area, but its going to take a century before it achieves higher density than most suburban counties.

It really is only a handful of coastal cities that have the density required for functional trunk lines for transit, largely due to predating car-centric development.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sneakster posted:

Its good to hear that Dallas is investing in infrastructure, but the fundamental limitation of transit in any city is almost entirely an issue of density. Dallas covers a massive area, but its going to take a century before it achieves higher density than most suburban counties.

It really is only a handful of coastal cities that have the density required for functional trunk lines for transit, largely due to predating car-centric development.

what if i told you... transit stimulates denser development :ssh:

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

luxury handset posted:

....what if I told you.... almost nobody would opt to use transit in a city that's nearly 400 miles of car oriented and mostly dependent sprawl that's at least a century out from urbanizing?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sneakster posted:

....what if I told you.... almost nobody would opt to use transit in a city that's nearly 400 miles of car oriented and mostly dependent sprawl that's at least a century out from urbanizing?

you could tell me that i guess but it would be a bad and wrong thing to say

"urbanization" as you seem to be using it here doesn't happen all over all at once. it happens in pockets, such as, along a transit line

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

luxury handset posted:

you could tell me that i guess but it would be a bad and wrong thing to say

"urbanization" as you seem to be using it here doesn't happen all over all at once. it happens in pockets, such as, along a transit line

Its bad, and it sucks, but its true. Dallas is a county, not a city. The infrastructure of the US is appallingly terrible everywhere outside a few dense coastal cities because much of it developed with cars in mind. Transit doesn't create anything, it helps whats already there. Cities develop overtime building on top of themselves, transit is viable because it provides function that loses value with sparsity.

Consider that transit wise, New York City is #1, DC is #2 Baltimore is like #11.

Baltimore and DC have similar sizes, density, ages, area and population. but DC has far better infrastructure than Baltimore. Baltimore, despite being similar to DC, has abysmal public transit that is only used as begrudging last resort since a few miles can take hours due to sparsity and its notoriously unreliable.

Dallas won't catch up to Baltimore's density with even 100 years of constant population growth at higher than current rates. Its delusional to think Dallas, covering 4x the area and having a fraction of the density of a city will have a transit system that isn't a novelty last resort of people who can't afford a car within the century.

Urbanization doesn't happen in pockets, it happens over time.Transit helps development, yeah, but you still need to build transit in a way thats useful, which is a fools errand when your city starts as 400 miles of spread out over sized single family homes feeding into freeways to office parking lots. Its going to be a very long time before Dallas becomes something that isn't a garish parody of sprawl run amok.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

luxury handset posted:

this doesn't matter in the context of the dicussion that was had. when it comes to how willing a locality is and was to fund infrastructure growth, you can look at growth of infrastructure directly instead of ridership, or track width, or the quality of the graffiti in the bathrooms etc.
Well poo poo if you're going by how willing it is to fund infrastructure growth, Seattle beats Dallas by a country mile. For example, Dallas' light rail expansion plan in 2006 cost $2.5 billion, Sound Transit 2 in 2008 cost $17.8 billion, and around 12 billion of that was for light rail. Now obviously Seattle is more expensive partially because it's not as much of a sprawltropolis as Dallas, but nevertheless they appear to be much more willing throw down serious dough on transit. Sound Transit 3, for example, is budgeted as ~$54 billion.

quote:

"how much track are they willing to put down? well, let's look at how much track is on the ground and how much is budgeted for right now"
Looking at miles is an incredibly silly and nonsensical way of looking at seriousness of infrastructure investment. 25 miles of extending existing light rail at-grade to a suburb is way easier and cheaper than 5 miles of building separated-grade light rail in the middle of a major city. This is one of the issues Portland's MAX system has in comparison to Seattle's light rail, MAX isn't buried or elevated downtown and while that made it cheaper to build out, it also limits its effectiveness rather severely. Just looking at total miles by itself is nearly useless outside of a dick-measuring contest.

If you want a simple metric and you're looking at how seriously an area is about funding transit, look at dollars, if you want to see how effective transit actually is, look at ridership. Going "well gee this system is really long" is ridiculous, who gives a poo poo?

Sneakster posted:

Dallas won't catch up to Baltimore's density with even 100 years of constant population growth at higher than current rates. Its delusional to think Dallas, covering 4x the area and having a fraction of the density of a city will have a transit system that isn't a novelty last resort of people who can't afford a car within the century.
Realistically you could probably still have decent transit if you had major upzones around rail stations, creating little transit villages. But in practice most of the time US cities do upzones for this kind of thing, they're incredibly half-assed, you go a few blocks and you hit mandatory single-family homes again unless you're downtown in the principal city.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 4, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

If you want a simple metric and you're looking at how seriously an area is about funding transit, look at dollars, if you want to see how effective transit actually is, look at ridership. Going "well gee this system is really long" is ridiculous, who gives a poo poo?

maybe if you're trying to make your argument by looking at specific points in time and not overall recent behavior, like here

Cicero posted:

Well poo poo if you're going by how willing it is to fund infrastructure growth, Seattle beats Dallas by a country mile. For example, Dallas' light rail expansion plan in 2006 cost $2.5 billion, Sound Transit 2 in 2008 cost $17.8 billion,

why would you cherry pick two specific examples from 2006 and 2008? is this the best way to support your argument? do you have an argument or are you just being stubborn?

meanwhile, if we want to look at who is most willing to fund light rail, well, one thing that is important to this picture is who has built the most light rail, and...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"lets argue stridently for pages over a highly pedantic side argument, except you're not allowed to use any of your metrics - only my metrics are acceptable"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

luxury handset posted:

why would you cherry pick two specific examples from 2006 and 2008? is this the best way to support your argument? do you have an argument or are you just being stubborn?
Because those were the ones I was able to find data on and they were comparable, having been planned around the same time period. Go ahead and try to find an example of Dallas spending more, but we both know you won't find it.

quote:

meanwhile, if we want to look at who is most willing to fund light rail, well, one thing that is important to this picture is who has built the most light rail, and...
No, like I already pointed out, just going by total light rail miles is a stupid dick-measuring contest. If you want to gauge seriousness, look at money (Seattle has spent way the gently caress more and continues to), if you want to gauge effectiveness look at ridership (Seattle has a much higher mode share of transit trips).

You're just desperately clinging to "well Dallas has more physical miles of track laid down" as if that means anything significant. Yeah, they have 4x the number of lines and stations as Seattle, and yet Seattle manages to have ~75% of their ridership with a single line that isn't even close to complete yet, it currently awkwardly terminates just south of UW. Almost like Seattle took the harder, more expensive path that will pay off in the long run because it's higher-quality transit to begin with. And their overall transit program is obviously superior because way more people actually use it.

luxury handset posted:

"lets argue stridently for pages over a highly pedantic side argument, except you're not allowed to use any of your metrics - only my metrics are acceptable"
Your metric is stupid, there are much better ones but they undermine your completely wrong point. You could just admit, "yeah actually those coastal liberal cities HAVE invested more seriously in transit than Dallas or Charlotte" but that would require you to not be unreasonably stubborn.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

No, like I already pointed out, just going by total light rail miles is a stupid dick-measuring contest.

"the existence of thing cannot be used as a proxy for willingness to create thing"

ok guy

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

luxury handset posted:

"the existence of thing cannot be used as a proxy for willingness to create thing"

ok guy
"Look sure the 300 miles of track lead to a single dude's house, but look how long it is!"

Makes total sense, great job, definitely a better metric than money invested or how many people actually use it.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

luxury handset posted:

Here's a better metric: there's no way to make useful transit in a place that spread out. You cannot make a reliable service that covers that much area for that few people, and reliability is one of the most basic and important aspects of transit. Almost any random picture of anything in Dallas looks like the depopulated edge of the city mostly filled with trucking services.

For the most part, transit in Bawlmer is considered a welfare service nobody who can afford a car would use. A transit commute in Baltimore for 10 miles, in a denser place mind you, can take over 3 hours on a good day.

In comparison, in DC, even snooty upper crust people would pay a premium to live near the metro. Hell, the DC property bubble is going to pop for areas that aren't on the metro.

You are vastly under estimating the issue of density. Not just people and population to area, but the physical design of everything in Dallas isn't just sparse, its a sea of over sized land parcels built far apart from each other, its not even just that more things need to be built, its that most of whats there needs to be remade. It will be well over a century before that happens. This is a bad thing and why people complain about Sprawl. Los Angeles is pretty poo poo too, don't feel bad.

Yeah, lets take the bus that only stops 4 miles away through 3 transfers to get to the Advance Auto Parts zone down the street.

As a side note: you can actually see the interplay of transit design through the time of a cities birth and development. The older the city, the denser and more walkable it tends to be. Hence east coast cities are better developed that way. As you go west, Chicago for example came about after transit started developing, so its more spread out, but the city is structured around main trunk lines. Newer cities were designed to be for cars, they're fundamentally at the most basic level intended for cars and are the physical antithesis of the principles important for transit.

I actually have a theory about density/crime/poverty. Philadelphia has less pockets of extreme wealth than Chicago, but also less poverty and crime, and is more walkable. It seems like once areas start spreading out, pockets of the city become abandoned and quality of life is allowed to plummet lower than would be tolerated in a city where you're not so disconnected from the worse off.

Walkable is never going to be a word people associate with Dallas.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sneakster posted:

Here's a better metric: there's no way to make useful transit in a place that spread out.

yeah there is. it takes time but cities change, you can definitely create walkability in areas in a sprawling metro. what an odd thing to claim. you've got a super high level view of this that misses a lot of detail. spreadsheet planning again

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Thanks for ignoring the substance of the point. But overturning zoning laws and building lots of housing would be a great thing.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

KingFisher posted:

Yep the city should be capturing all of the net new tax revenue from new residental construction and using it for funding a lane separated BRT system to be eventually enhanced with subway/light rail.

This is hair splitting, but you tax the increased *land* value and let the construction go free. Kills the land speculators, makes land cheaper to acquire for redevelopment, and more units get built.

Give em the ol Henry George.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Eskaton posted:

This is hair splitting, but you tax the increased *land* value and let the construction go free. Kills the land speculators, makes land cheaper to acquire for redevelopment, and more units get built.

Give em the ol Henry George.

Agree 100% I'm a Purestrain Georgist, land value tax or bust.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh look: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-07/rental-glut-sends-chill-through-the-hottest-u-s-housing-markets

quote:

Seattle-area median rents didn’t budge in July, after a 5 percent annual increase a year earlier and 10 percent the year before, according to Zillow data on apartments, houses and condos. While that’s the biggest decline among the top 50 largest metropolitan areas, it’s part of a national trend. Rents in Nashville and Portland, Oregon, have actually started falling. In the U.S., rents were up just 0.5 percent in July, the smallest gain for any month since 2012.

“This is something that we first started to see two years ago in New York and D.C.,” Aaron Terrazas, a senior economist at Zillow, said in a phone interview. “A year ago, it was San Francisco and most recently, Seattle and Portland. It’s spreading through what once were the fastest growing rental markets.”

Tenants are gaining the upper hand in urban centers across the U.S. as new amenity-rich apartment buildings, constructed in response to big rent gains in previous years, are forced to fight for customers. Rents are softening most on the high end and within city limits, Terrazas said. Landlords also have been losing customers to homeownership as millennials strike out on their own, often moving to more affordable suburbs.
It's almost like adding enough supply to where landlords have less leverage is helpful for rent prices or something.

Of course, things are still pretty horrible overall and we could still use public housing etc.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe
My general proposal is to use upzones etc to pull as much private residential development as possible into a city and capture 10% of that as low income housing.

Then once the banks won't finance any more new multi-family housing developments the city should come in and keep building mixed use / mixed income high rise towers and hand them over to non-profits to manage.

Then have the city just keep building units to drive down rent to whatever your desired value is.

This poo poo isn't really difficult, making rent affordable is a solves problem. Politicians just refuse to stand up to the Rich White NIMBY Liberals who dominate big city politics.

Another example of democracy being a bad thing.

HAIL SINGAPORE!

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 8, 2018

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

luxury handset posted:

The only way that you get people to use transit is by getting employers to move workplaces near transit lines. Population density in your neighborhood is irrelevant if all of your employment options are in far flung suburbs anyway. Look at Boston, Chicago, and Philly for examples. How many people want to live a car-free life in those cities where it should be possible, but can't because they have to drive to their job?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I wrote about affordable housing for my master's thesis, especially in regards to my homestate and the regulations they have to force towns to build affordable housing, happy to see this thread/contribute if people have questions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Oh look: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-07/rental-glut-sends-chill-through-the-hottest-u-s-housing-markets

It's almost like adding enough supply to where landlords have less leverage is helpful for rent prices or something.

Of course, things are still pretty horrible overall and we could still use public housing etc.

There's similar stuff going on here. The only stuff being built is high end apartments asking downright stupid rent for the area. Surprise surprise, most people can't afford to live there so they're desperate to get occupants. They advertise heavily and simultaneously price most people out. Meanwhile businesses either next door or even in litetally the same building advertise jobs that pay less than the rent on those places.

Meanwhile anything that doesn't have a belligerent price tag is packed. Good loving luck getting your hands on an affordable one bedroom anywhere you would actually want to live with less than a few months notice. But hey, we have all these empty $1,500 a month studios here!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's similar stuff going on here. The only stuff being built is high end apartments asking downright stupid rent for the area. Surprise surprise, most people can't afford to live there so they're desperate to get occupants. They advertise heavily and simultaneously price most people out. Meanwhile businesses either next door or even in litetally the same building advertise jobs that pay less than the rent on those places.

Meanwhile anything that doesn't have a belligerent price tag is packed. Good loving luck getting your hands on an affordable one bedroom anywhere you would actually want to live with less than a few months notice. But hey, we have all these empty $1,500 a month studios here!

Sounds like you need an upzoning or three. We need to make it more profitable to build giant complexes then a handful of ultraluxury housing.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

ChipNDip posted:

The only way that you get people to use transit is by getting employers to move workplaces near transit lines. Population density in your neighborhood is irrelevant if all of your employment options are in far flung suburbs anyway. Look at Boston, Chicago, and Philly for examples. How many people want to live a car-free life in those cities where it should be possible, but can't because they have to drive to their job?

It's me. I'm the Philly resident who wants nothing more than to be able to live that life. It is, however, loving not possible here. All of the jobs are *outside* of the city because of Philly's city taxes. And the major artery out of the city to the North is so old they can't expand it because it would violate modern safety regulations. SEPTA isn't great, but it also doesn't matter because my job is in the burbs anyway.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, the data has shown in Portland at least, that falling rents are only for specific categories of apartments (studios/micros/1brs) while 2br and 3br apartments are still rising.

Also, it has a secondary effect, it seems there are less new projects on the horizon because they overbuilt one specific type of housing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the market for that specific apartment crashes as the rest of the current projects are completed. This is what you get when you just let the "market" take its course.

(Also, the new construction is some of the ugliest buildings in the city. They are just terrible.)

If you upzone...the result is going to just be bigger monolithic skyscrapers .... filled with "luxury studios."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ardennes posted:

If you upzone...the result is going to just be bigger monolithic skyscrapers .... filled with "luxury studios."
Demand for luxury studios isn't infinite, this is another example of yeah, the market will take the lowest-hanging, most profitable fruit first.

Plus what's really needed is upzoning the all super low density areas for missing middle type housing, not skyscrapers. Leftists really need to stop defending economic segregation like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

Demand for luxury studios isn't infinite, this is another example of yeah, the market will take the lowest-hanging, most profitable fruit first.

Plus what's really needed is upzoning the all super low density areas for missing middle type housing, not skyscrapers. Leftists really need to stop defending economic segregation like this.

Too true for the 2nd point in this sense, smaller suburbs could build apartment style housing and help alleviate some of these problems.