Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Shindragon posted:

I hated almost all of FF13's characters. Lighting back then was just emo cloud.

Heard she got better in the sequel though.

Not really.

EDIT: Sabers Edge was the only good song in FF13.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i just beat okami and i'm pretty sure it was better than having a slap fight about final fantasy
incredibly wrong

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ya know how Deadly Premonition had Naomi Watts? Remothered: Tormented Fathers has Jodie Foster/Clarice Starling!! I am not far in the game, and it seems to be a good spooker, but this is really distracting.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

James Woods Fan posted:

Ya know how Deadly Premonition had Naomi Watts? Remothered: Tormented Fathers has Jodie Foster/Clarice Starling!! I am not far in the game, and it seems to be a good spooker, but this is really distracting.

Every time I see the name "Remothered: Tormented Fathers" I have to remind myself that it's a real game and not a parody because it sounds so loving stupid

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remothered: Tormented Fathers is just a couple fanciful punctuation marks away from being the title of an anime airdasher.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remothered is loving awful

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I mean I don't like any horror games because being startled is like the worst feeling in the world to me (despite enjoying horror movies just fine) but that name, how could they think it was good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

Actually its that people like towns and dungeons, and it instead has corridors with no variation or gimmicks or interesting things to do ever

Yep. All other criticism of 13 aside, this was the bit that got me the most. I like towns in RPG’s. I know they’re just speech bubbles attached to shallowly written NPC’s but they give a sense of the world you’re in and who you’re fighting for and why it matters. It makes the world feel lived-in. 13 tries to do this with the main cast instead and it just didn’t work as well for me personally.

Like all FF’s, the music was real good though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

I mean I don't like any horror games because being startled is like the worst feeling in the world to me (despite enjoying horror movies just fine) but that name, how could they think it was good

because they wrote a horror game with an incredibly uncomfortable and gross twist wrt trans people

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

because they wrote a horror game with an incredibly uncomfortable and gross twist wrt trans people

please elaborate

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That Vanille voice acting story cracks me up. I had a friend who worked at Cirque du Soleil a long time ago and he said the ringleader was a Frenchman with a thick accent but when it was showtime he put on an even thicker hon hon hon fake French accent

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man now I wanna play a new Dissidia but like, not the new Dissidia they've been making for the past few years. Like a new Dissidia that regresses(?) back to the PSP style of fighting and no three on three poo poo.

Same.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Andrast posted:

please elaborate
The main villain was forced to dress like a girl as a kid and it drove him cuhraaazee. It's just done for cheap shock value like something out of the 80's.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Accordion Man posted:

The main villain was forced to dress like a girl as a kid and it drove him cuhraaazee. It's just done for cheap shock value like something out of the 80's.

What does this have to do with trans people?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Verranicus posted:

What does this have to do with trans people?
It's dipping back into that "people with gender dysphoria are dangerous maniacs" well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I still really wish I didn't have to play Samus Returns with the analog pad, I would gladly give up the free aiming which I kind of hate anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

It's dipping back into that "people with gender dysphoria are dangerous maniacs" well.

I’d broaden this to say any sort of non-heteronormatives

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

James Woods Fan posted:

Remothered: Tormented Fathers

:what:

This is peak revengeance

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All this talk about Final Fantasy has me considering buying FF14, which is on sale at Humble. (Although I might already have bought it in the past and forgot about it)

Also I have 15 which I only got to chapter 3 with, and 12 which I have now purchased twice a decade apart and still have barely gotten a few hours into

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's also the part about someone being force-fed testosterone by their dad and developing multiple personality disorder of a female personality and a male personality

because

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Colonel posted:

there's also the part about someone being force-fed testosterone by their dad and developing multiple personality disorder of a female personality and a male personality

because

loving christ.

Maybe I"m painting a broad stroke, but what the hell is with indie horror games just missing the target by like a 100 yards. And I thought Outlast 2 was bad. Yeesh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All this talk about Final Fantasy has me considering buying FF14, which is on sale at Humble. (Although I might already have bought it in the past and forgot about it)

Also I have 15 which I only got to chapter 3 with, and 12 which I have now purchased twice a decade apart and still have barely gotten a few hours into

I can't recommend ff14 unless you're either willing to play the equivalent of 4 and a half back to back JRPGs, or willing to spend a bunch of extra money skipping to stormblood

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Remothered: Tormented Fathers is just a couple fanciful punctuation marks away from being the title of an anime airdasher.

(REmothered) Tormented:fatherS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't recommend ff14 unless you're either willing to play the equivalent of 4 and a half back to back JRPGs, or willing to spend a bunch of extra money skipping to stormblood

Hmm OK. I'll just play 12 and 15 then

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I fully recommend playing all four and a half jrpgs that comprise ff14

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It turns out I have actually purchased FF14 on two separate occasions, possibly because getting a second account was cheaper than a month's subscription or I had previously forgotten I owned it.

So I can just buy Stormblood (It's $18) and be up to date right?

OH YEAH I forgot the last time I was thinking about FF14 was when people said Triple Triad was in it, that would probably be my number one reason for jumping back in

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i played rogue galaxy, FF12, and xenoblade relatively close to each other, and liked FF12 the most, followed by rogue galaxy (it is a level 5 game after all and peters out near the end), and didn't even finish xenoblade

FF12 and Xenoblade's combat get compared a lot, but it's the RTwP aspect of FF12 that I like. Xenoblade is extremely MMO with its cooldown spamming, whereas FF12 lets you pause and go into traditional FF combat menus

and the gambit system is cool. the complaint of "you don't have to do 90% of the combat" is like.. yeah, that's good actually, if I program my allies well, I don't have to engage in repetitive grinding myself, or I can explore an area for treasure while the allies are keeping enemies away.. and there are plenty of times, especially boss encounters, where you have to get involved

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It turns out I have actually purchased FF14 on two separate occasions, possibly because getting a second account was cheaper than a month's subscription or I had previously forgotten I owned it.

OH YEAH I forgot the last time I was thinking about FF14 was when people said Triple Triad was in it, that would probably be my number one reason for jumping back in

3 of those JRPGs are spent just reaching Stormblood

or you can spend $50 to skip them!

It's not great

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

3 of those JRPGs are spent just reaching Stormblood

or you can spend $50 to skip them!

It's not great

I mean, are they good JRPGS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah, they all rule. ARR and Heavensward are both really good; the only real sour moments are some of the story between ARR and Heavensward, but toward the end of that sequence things pick up really well and the story never loses steam after that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My anti-recommendation is solely from length not from lack of quality. The story can kind of drag and suffer from filler until you reach heavensward though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah i've tried repeatedly to get into FFXIV and while i enjoyed what time i spent with it it's just way too daunting in size

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ARR is fine with some caveats, and they get progressively better from there. their tech and ability to animate cutscenes at this point is totally on par with the single player FFs, and the story is the best out of any of them, if only because releasing it episodically every 3 months for the past 5 years gives them a lot of room for exposition. its a good playing MMO, also

unless you have a slot waiting for you in a bleeding edge savage raid static, there's no reason to "catch up" just enjoy it at your own pace

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please please please don't buy a skip to Stormblood if you haven't played it before. The story from start to finish is fantastic with the usual lulls any RPG would have.

it may interest you to know FFXIV has a fully working version of Triple Triad, music and all, built in as a minigame where you collect cards by playing various parts of the game and dueling NPCs. Regular PVP card tournaments too.

Also don't listen to the people who say you're just working to the current endgame, that may make sense if you're part of some progression raid group but if you just want a Final Fantasy slow down and enjoy all the quests. Stormblood is okay and will still be there if you take your time, plus Heavensward is better anyway.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 15, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you did buy a skip you would have zero loving clue what's happening in the plot anyway, because they'll regularly call back to things that happened years ago. there are even lots of call backs to ff14 1.0, its still canon

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I never understood the mindset in MMO players that all that matters is what's "current content" when it's a game they're brand spanking new to. How does 2.0 being old content matter if you've never done it or anything else in the game before? I see this stupid argument all the time on the terrible XIV official forums and maybe it's just me but again, outside of the dumb dumbs who play MMOs explicitly to bleeding edge raid (in which case why XIV of all games), I just don't get it.

EDIT: It makes more sense in a game like WoW where there's no dungeon level sync and queues for stuff might be super slow, but in XIV where anyone can do any dungeon below their level and still get decent rewards for it so the content is always populated, it makes no sense to want to skip it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It would be cool if when I convinced a friend to play ffxiv it didn't take 200 hours for them to be ready to accompany me on the content I want to do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

It would be cool if when I convinced a friend to play ffxiv it didn't take 200 hours for them to be ready to accompany me on the content I want to do.
you can play with them though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah that's an advantage ffxiv has over its competition. I can play with them, just not doing the content I want to be doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Do the content at their level with them.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah that's an advantage ffxiv has over its competition. I can play with them, just not doing the content I want to be doing

Compromising the experience of a new player you presumably want to stay with the game for your own benefit seems kind of lovely.

• Locked thread