Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I tried playing NEO for the first time a ways back. I wandered around in the woods for a while, stuffed some random junk into a plastic bag I found, and eventually found some shoes, a rifle scope, and a crowbar, but then I was immediately beaten to death by some dude with a frying pan. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

tuyop posted:

Anyone else playing Oxygen Not Included? It’s more of a sim but very much about survival. I’m obsessed, it’s very good.

Here's the thread for it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

NEO takes a lot of tries to get the hang of the game. I basically got the early-game down pretty easily once I figured out how simple it is to make wooden spears and basic clothes. But I remember I played for about three hours straight and each playthrough, I'd die within 15 minutes, until things started to click.

I can't remember exactly what my favourite build was, but I think it was the one that let you build your own sled to carry items (made surviving so much simpler), and one that let you survive in the woods so I could make my own weapons out of wood. Then every fight I'd get into, I'd just keep my range and keep stabbing them with a spear until they started bleeding. I'd also keep a spear as backup to throw at range, or if they were running, depending on how tough the enemy was (save it to throw when they run if they're weak, or throw it at the start if they're tough, as damaging them early on could save me in the fight).

The one thing I despised about NEO was the random events. You could have put 2 hours into a character and then end up dead from a conversation with an NPC, and the only way to know how not to die is to have done it before. That was rather bullshit.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Coolguye posted:

i could never get into NEO because finding a loving pair of shoes was so hard that i ended up getting my poo poo kicked in by just humping it around the wilderness

This is me too. I feel NEO is very my type of game if I bothered to get past the vertical learning curve by just playing it but :effort:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I just finally got past the early game of NEO for the first time last night since I'm waiting for the mods for RimWorld to catch up with the new release. I lucked out and scored a shopping cart early on and from there trekked my way across the wasteland to Detroit, only to get turned away at the gates. I ended up striking back out on my own and was promptly beaten to death by some bandit, since all I had at that point was a meat cleaver and whatever clothes I'd picked up along the way. I had some bitchin combat boots and black cargo pants at that point too, I was pretty bummed :sad:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I just wish NEO had like, a combat arena mode, cause the fighting was my favourite part. Really good little descriptions of all the loving up you did and all the being hosed up, all with fun stuff like shards of glass and pots and poo poo.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'd say it's pretty different from NEO as it abstracts a lot of the stuff NEO cares about and visa versa. There is a risk of starving to death but I played it on the hardest difficulty and was able to overcome that pretty quickly. The biggest risk was getting killed by bandits or creatures. It's sort of its own survival game experience and I'd recommend trying it if you want to try something new.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What game are you talking about dylguy90?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh sorry, ICY: Frostbite Edition

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It may be beyond the scope of this thread; anyone tried Universim?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

dylguy90 posted:

Oh sorry, ICY: Frostbite Edition

It's worth mentioning that this is only <$2 at the moment. I'm giving it a go.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing SCUM with some friends lately. It's surprisingly a lot of fun even in the clearly unfinished early access state. Can't wait for them to add more stuff like vehicles in it.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Anyone tried out Dead in Vinland?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s more like a management game where you direct group members to search and work on something. Beside managing basic health and needs, you have to deal with their mental stress and interpersonal relations in the group.

There are some deadline from story elements to push you to focus more on gathering something.

I like it, but you are playing the manager/clan leader role. Raising skill takes a while, and certain choices in explorations mystery need high stats to have better odd of success. Or save scam.

They also have a previous game like this where a modern group trapped in an island and trying to survive with your guidence.

TRY THE DEMO.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sounds a bit like Zafehouse.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Zafehouse is much more opaque and more about making do with what you are given.

In Vinland you can slowly train everyone to be great at specific tasks, you can decide what to gather, what to craft, etc.

I would divide Vinland in to three parts. Half the game is actually a visual novel. Different characters will have different interaction with each other at the end of each day. You also explore the island and get a little story snippet or event.

Then there's the camp management where you assign your people to do stuff and build up your camp. Everything degrades (food, building, tools, etc)...your villagers consume all sorts of resources like crazy.
Then there's combat that's superficially similar to Darkest Dungeon. Injuries carries over to the camp.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dead in Vinland is really cool and I’m planning to really delve into it this weekend. It does feel a bit slow sometimes though, especially the evening phase where you decide what people eat, how much water they get etc.

But the game really trained me out of my hoarding OCD that I’ve had since Baldurs Gate. Most things that can be used for a one off is best used RIGHT NOW.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wish there was a perfect survival city-building game. Stronghold Crusader HD is a game I was incredibly hooked on, I loved everything about it, but it's not perfectly what I'm after this time around (more deforestation, more moulding the land to suit my own needs). I've played Banished, which was great, but felt shallow at times. I've played Life is Feudal: Forest Village, and the terraforming in the game absolutely ruins it for me, and it's extremely janky. I've played Ostriv, and that seemed great at first, but the fact it's a very early alpha, unbalanced as hell, and villagers can only carry tiny amounts at a time made me quit playing it very quick (I got tired of waiting all the time for resources to be moved, even using carts [which men can only push for some reason?] things took way too long). I loved the wage system though, made things interesting and I've not seen that as a game mechanic before.

Before someone recommends Rimworld (someone always recommends Rimworld), I've played it. Same with Kingdoms and Castles (too simplistic for me).

So are there any really nice, chill, fun city-building survival games out there? I love striking out into the wilderness and slowly turning a dense forest into a nicely laid out village.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 22, 2018

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Stonehearth?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Played that too, I couldn't really get into it because of how buggy the building system was. So many houses end up bugged, and construction either never gets completed, or I make a mistake but can't easily delete it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Oxygen Not Included? Although it's not a 'city' per se, it's a base. It's certainly survival, nothing better than putting up the oxygen overlay and seeing your base has no oxygen remaining because you got so involved in base building you forgot to manage oxygen properly.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rise to Ruins is also a pretty good one - it's survival with tower defense elements. It's in early access, but heading towards real release soon.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Qubee posted:

I wish there was a perfect survival city-building game. Stronghold Crusader HD is a game I was incredibly hooked on, I loved everything about it, but it's not perfectly what I'm after this time around (more deforestation, more moulding the land to suit my own needs). I've played Banished, which was great, but felt shallow at times. I've played Life is Feudal: Forest Village, and the terraforming in the game absolutely ruins it for me, and it's extremely janky. I've played Ostriv, and that seemed great at first, but the fact it's a very early alpha, unbalanced as hell, and villagers can only carry tiny amounts at a time made me quit playing it very quick (I got tired of waiting all the time for resources to be moved, even using carts [which men can only push for some reason?] things took way too long). I loved the wage system though, made things interesting and I've not seen that as a game mechanic before.

Before someone recommends Rimworld (someone always recommends Rimworld), I've played it. Same with Kingdoms and Castles (too simplistic for me).

So are there any really nice, chill, fun city-building survival games out there? I love striking out into the wilderness and slowly turning a dense forest into a nicely laid out village.

You could try Foundation. Haven't played it but keep seeing videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MuvsfXM-I&t=1053s

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Qubee posted:

Since you mentioned Banished and Rimworld you can try Planetbase. It's kind of like space colony Banished. Not as difficult as Banished I would say, but it has its own charm to it.

Also they appear to be working on a stone age era city builder so that should be interesting.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Oxygen Not Included?

skeleton warrior posted:

Rise to Ruins is also a pretty good one

Played both but it's been ages since I touched them. These are very good shouts, thank you for reminding me they exist. Gonna get back into them. Oxygen Not Included has updated so much, I played it when it first came out. Rise to Ruins hits the vibe that I love so much, not only is the art beautiful, but the city building is fun and the villagers aren't stupid.

Big Bug Hug posted:

You could try Foundation. Haven't played it but keep seeing videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MuvsfXM-I&t=1053s

Played it just a few days ago. It's a really lovely game, and is exactly what I'm looking for. But it's very early access and crashes a lot. Things can go wrong that are out of your control as well. For example, when I'd trade, it was so counterintuitive and sometimes, despite a city saying they sell certain goods, they wouldn't deliver the goods. Protip for anyone who plays this: turn house authorization off! My first few villages died so quick and had mass exoduses because everyone upgraded at the same time and I couldn't fulfill their needs.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I think it looks really nice, and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Oxygen Not Included is an awesome, addictive game. They have changed it soooo much, I'm sure you'll get another round of fun out of it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm playing Rise to Ruins and it's really good fun, it has changed to the point where there's so many new game mechanics, it's almost unrecognisable. You can let villagers emigrate to other regions, which is super cool.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'd bet you know this already, but just in case — the Colonial Charter mod for Banished adds a whole lot to the game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'd bet you know this already, but just in case — the Colonial Charter mod for Banished adds a whole lot to the game.

I didn't even think of mods for Banished, thanks for basically refreshing the game for me. Can't wait to try it out with that mod.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh, well great then. You probably just discovered another 60 hours of Banished.

E: 1.71 is the latest Colonial Charter on the Steam Workshop, I’ve read 1.75 exists but :effort:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Disclaimer: Colonial Charter doesn't make any of the stuff it adds necessary, so if you're bored because you know how to reliably make a stable village where everyone is healthy and content and not freezing or starving to death, it's not going to fix that. But if you're bored because you're sick of building the same few things over and over, it'll help.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Mayveena posted:

Oxygen Not Included? Although it's not a 'city' per se, it's a base. It's certainly survival, nothing better than putting up the oxygen overlay and seeing your base has no oxygen remaining because you got so involved in base building you forgot to manage oxygen properly.

I got so burnt out playing Don't Starve when it was early access that I wasn't able to get back into it at release to enjoy all the new content, so I'm forcing myself to hold off on Oxygen Not Included until it's released. It's hard though :pray:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Colonial Charter’s description seemed like it added breadth, but not depth. More like stuff to farm rather than any need to farm it. The populace remains as easily satisfied as in the base game, I’m guessing.

There’s some recent game with a viking theme that seemed like more of a survival sim with more unique individual actors to please, don’t have the name ready on this phone at the moment but I think it was reviewed on Three Moves Ahead in the last six months or so.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ditto the replay Oxygen Not Included advice. They added a ton of poo poo, I've been obsessing over it for four days and haven't even dug to the surface yet. Apparently they added modular rockets you can build to travel to other asteroids? I've just managed to get a proper EVA suit excavation system going. I love how there are so many different ways to structure your base. My self-sufficiency strategy is basically constructing a giant central ladder/firepole/transit tube shaft that also drains all liquid into a disgusting poop cistern in the basement that I then purify and electrolicize to suit the bases needs. To keep the water coming I have to keep digging up into the swamp biome and sending a massive deluge of diseased swampwater cascading down my central transit shaft, drenching anybody unlucky enough to get caught.

It's not perfect

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

dylguy90 posted:

It's not perfect
What are you talking about? That sounds magnificent!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I finally installed UnReal World and it's pretty cool so far. I followed an elk for a long time but eventually lost its trail. Luckily I've been reasonably successful at fishing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I finally installed UnReal World and it's pretty cool so far. I followed an elk for a long time but eventually lost its trail. Luckily I've been reasonably successful at fishing.
Is there a good guide, or like, competent LPer that does Unreal World around? I've tried to get into it a few times but oof, it's rough.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Is there a good guide, or like, competent LPer that does Unreal World around? I've tried to get into it a few times but oof, it's rough.

I just started with the self-guided mode where you're given little tasks to do like fell a tree, build a shelter, catch a fish, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ShootaBoy posted:

There is the old (somewhat unfinished, not that URW has an ending) LP I did for the Roguelike LP Megathread. The thread itself has fallen into archives, but thankfully most of the LPs were done using the LP test poster to prevent pages from being massively cluttered.

Welcome to the UnReal World!
Trades and Tutorials
A Fortuitous Fox
Competent Fisherman
Reindeer Games
A Great Voyage
The Lakes and The Locals
A New Best Friend and an Old Enemy
Graduation and Deforestation
There and Back Again
In the mind of the wood selector is making a log building

A few systems have changed since then, including the new rituals and the removal of the survival skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Unreal World is awesome, but man did I end up relying on fishing a tonne. I had a cellar full of dried / smoked fish. I gave hunting a go, but I'd lose the animal's tracks too often, or I'd miss a bunch of shots and not land a killing blow.

I tried making those spike pit traps to herd animals into, but you need to make them so long to be effective and I quickly lost motivation and went back to fishing. It's the one food source that's reliably dependent.