Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This episode was a great take on toxic masculinity and how "competition" doesn't lead to better outcomes. The gang were all trump and people like him that think there needs to be a "winner" in every negotiation and actual cooperation is emasculating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Baronjutter posted:

This episode was a great take on toxic masculinity and how "competition" doesn't lead to better outcomes. The gang were all trump and people like him that think there needs to be a "winner" in every negotiation and actual cooperation is emasculating.

Art of the Deal, bro. Art of the Deal.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I agree with you, it would have been more interesting to have a new situation instead of basically using props from older episodes as a crutch. Also the retconning of Dennis into an ever more cartoonishly version of himself is just detracting from his character. Things like the Dennis system and the Implication were funny because of how disturbingly realistic they were. Some dumb SAW-lite setup has none of the original character's subtlety, and is just unfunny and lazy. Also Dennis' whole thing was that he knew he tried hard to conceal his psychopathy from his victims, he didn't brag about it on a video tape.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Some dumb SAW-lite setup has none of the original character's subtlety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHvr8v9PQc

"subtle"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Subtle in that it's something some creep might actually do, tuned up for comedic effect. Dennis has almost become a serial killer (when they tried to pin murders on Mac) and has been shown with a car trunk full of BDSM gear (in the class reunion episode), but all that stuff was much more clever and better flowing than what this episode tried to do with him. They could have just omitted the video presentation (which just spelled out the subtext for the slow members of the audience, I guess) and have Dee discover she was locked up more slowly and using more of her knowledge of Dennis' psychosis, and it would have worked perfectly... But I guess with episodes as short as they are, they can't really afford multiple parallel stories. Hell, Dee could have basically used the same dialogue Dennis had in his presentation when she was trying to cooperate with the escape room attendant, and it would have also worked well. Basically, they went with the laziest possible way to set up a scenario, and it sucked.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 16, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How else would Dennis communicate to the girl he got off Craigslist while he's furiously jacking off to whatever CCTV setup he has?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Baronjutter posted:

"competition" doesn't lead to better outcomes.

"better" is pretty subjective here.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Baronjutter posted:

I think it was just the gang being the not too bright narcissists they always are. (Also, competition isn't just something men do.)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Subtle in that it's something some creep might actually do, tuned up for comedic effect. Dennis has almost become a serial killer (when they tried to pin murders on Mac) and has been shown with a car trunk full of BDSM gear (in the class reunion episode), but all that stuff was much more clever and better flowing than what this episode tried to do with him.

I remember when those happened there were people in the threads saying the same thing you're saying now. The Gang has been on a rapid descent into cartoonishness since season 2.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think I'm the perfect level of stoned to really appreciate "Frank's Brother" right now. When he starts scarfing the loving meat while telling the story and he does it in-story too. Jon Polito's hosed-up orgasm face. Frank lying still, gazing off in longing for Shadynasty while getting hosed.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
The only part that got on my nerves with the escape room episode was the repetition of the back-to-back scenes of: cut to Dennis & Mac smashing everything in the room -> talking about how bullshit this is -> find a clue -> agree they can't tell the others about it. And then we go directly to Charlie & Frank smashing everything in the room -> talking about how bullshit this is -> find a clue -> agree they can't tell the others about it. Felt like a waste of 2 minutes that could have been used in a funnier way than just mirroring the same scene over again.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Wark Say posted:

I thought that was what YouTube Analysis videos were for.

It's TVIV. 

Every show is perfect, any and all criticism is wrong and just the viewer not "getting it".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

It's TVIV. 

Every show is perfect, any and all criticism is wrong and just the viewer not "getting it".

Oh, hey! You like Rick and Morty too?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brawnfire posted:

I think I'm the perfect level of stoned to really appreciate "Frank's Brother" right now. When he starts scarfing the loving meat while telling the story and he does it in-story too. Jon Polito's hosed-up orgasm face. Frank lying still, gazing off in longing for Shadynasty while getting hosed.

I really like Frank's Brother and I think it just gets a lot of poo poo because it's basically a shaggy dog joke.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Moacher posted:

The only part that got on my nerves with the escape room episode was the repetition of the back-to-back scenes of: cut to Dennis & Mac smashing everything in the room -> talking about how bullshit this is -> find a clue -> agree they can't tell the others about it. And then we go directly to Charlie & Frank smashing everything in the room -> talking about how bullshit this is -> find a clue -> agree they can't tell the others about it. Felt like a waste of 2 minutes that could have been used in a funnier way than just mirroring the same scene over again.

The duplicated part lasts like 30 second day and then leads into the whole art of the deal/big league chew scene which is amazing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The Gang Sells Out: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia getting a mobile game

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oof that looks really bad

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, no! C'mooooon! :negative:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I never knew I needed this game.

Still don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not like I'm doing anything else on the metro I guess

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Because when I'm not playing the game, people are attacking our tribe, okay, and that's a lot of pressure, that's a lot of stress!

And we could lose everything, we could lose everything that we have worked for... everything!!!!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

so if some poor, addictive schmuck who can't help himself ends up spending 2 grand on upgrades in this game, how much actually goes to anyone who does anything for the show? my guess is nothing and it's all a fox cash grab thing but wtf do i know

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mac at Gym timing/rhythm minigame.
Charlie stalking waitress stealth game.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mac at Gym timing/rhythm minigame.
Charlie stalking waitress stealth game.

Dammit, got a clown-shoe debuff. Aaaand she pepper-sprayed me, poo poo.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

It's made by the same people who made the terrible grindy Trailer Park Boys game. I like those drat idle-type games and I uninstalled it pretty quickly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is going to suck, but that cartoon art style is still pretty cute.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Where's the point in the show's history that Frank in a red polo became his signature look?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When he decided to get really weird with it

*makes beer volcano roll out of mouth*

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Boggs but with the ladies of Sunny
How many "reboot of an old episode" does this make? At least 4 by now right

(Not a complaint, I actually love when they go back to things that they failed once before)

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
The Waiter!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god, ayahuasca tea :lol:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always love it when they revisit a theme. Really going heavy on the issues eps this season too. Solid episode.

E: just read the synopsis of the next episode, looks like no signs of slowing down.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 20, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Any episode that brings back Artemis is one that I can enjoy. So underutilized.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Snail! :salt:

Artemis lookin real good :whatup:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Really happy with anything with Artemis in it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All reservations about this season have been dashed on the rock's of mac's mom's grunts. This is a good time and good commentary on a variety of political issues.

This guy is a soyboy beta cuck

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
So, I'm assuming was aired out of order based on what the waiter said about the Super Bowl in Minneapolis. (Or maybe the Super Bowl episode will be told in flashback, like the World Series one?)

Great episode, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bigE posted:

So, I'm assuming was aired out of order based on what the waiter said about the Super Bowl in Minneapolis. (Or maybe the Super Bowl episode will be told in flashback, like the World Series one?)

Great episode, though.

Maybe it’s not a reference to the gang, but Philadelphians in general? Or is there definitely a SB episode due up soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A press release mentioned:

"Frank goes to great lengths for the Gang to experience the greatest moment in Philadelphia sports history – an Eagles Super Bowl victory."