Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

ninjahedgehog posted:

New dev diary! Holy Fury is quickly turning into "All of Your Favorite CK2+ Features but With a Bigger Budget."

If someone injures my cat I'm flaying them alive and stringing them up on the Theodosian walls by their scrotum. He just wanted to give snuggles to the wounded men :(

EDIT: couple of hidden gems from later in the thread: Byzantine Empress has a new fancy purple portrait frame, probably a new Imperial govt type. Hungarians aren't getting a new portrait set, but are getting a mix-match set, with Finnish faces and some other clothing type. Anglo-Saxons probably as well. Looks like the ugly-rear end westerngfx is dead, rest in pieces

EDIT2: holy poo poo they even take into account if you've got the Hermetic handgun, so you can literally mow fools down in battle :hellyeah:

Wow, duel engine is getting the paradox treatment as well. One of my favorite parts of agot or the warhammer mod(before one of the latest updates at least.) More battlefield events sound awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, I want all of this.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The Feline Holy Roman Emperor.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yesss, no more masks, hopefully? Now your characters can be like modern germans and just sit there while somebody goes ham on their face to give them some sweet scars.

Combat ability being on a 100-1 scale is an interesting choice. Kinda reminds me how most skills in the game were originally 1-10 and now a 10 is just mediocre.

I guess it also makes dueling more survivable, so the warrior lodge will be more practical, but also there goes one of the ways to get characters killed. I can't wait until they start going over what they're going to do with gavelkind. They've hinted that you'll be able to duel for that too, which could make little tribal nations more fun, but it could also make AI pagans unstoppably blob.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Goddamn you China. It's such bullshit that if you're a Chinese tributary and you try to declare war on them to break free, the war will end inconclusively if your character dies. I was winning too! Such a load of horseshit. :argh:

What's worse is that the moment I declared war on China, the Abbasids decided to take advantage of the distraction and then snatch away one of the kingdoms on the far western frontier of my Bengal Empire. So I was being sandwiched from two directions -- the Abbasids from the far west with 20k men, and the Chinese from the far east with 30k men, AND I had to deal with the constellation of smaller Chinese tributary states attacking me with their own small armies as well. The AI is very good at being opportunistic bastards sometimes.

It was impossible to fight all these enemies at once across my huge empire stretching all the way across northern India from coast to coast. I had to concentrate on one, so I massed together my army + mercenaries + Chinese honor guard and actually managed to beat the entire Chinese army after years of fighting. I ignored the Abbasids and let them take the kingdom they wanted. I figured I could just take it back later through holy wars or something.

I was so excited to actually beat the Chinese and free myself from 100+ years of tributary status. I was right on the verge of winning the war when suddenly my guy dies of tuberculosis and the war ends instantly. Now I'm still stuck as a tributary AND I've lost a kingdom on top of it.

So I've learned a few things in this playthrough. If you haven't played on that part of the map or dealt with the Chinese before:
  • If you're not a tributary, secure a peace deal with them ASAP. Otherwise it's inevitable that they'll invade you and you might be stuck as a Chinese tributary state for decades or centuries on end. You can break away easily if they are in civil war, but don't count on that happening. I haven't seen it happen for hundreds of years. It's like they are eternally stable in my game or something.
  • If you ARE stuck as a tributary, use your extra tributary influence to get an imperial marriage before trying to break away. You can use your Chinese honor guard against the Chinese, and you need all the extra troops you can get.
  • You can also use your influence to get Chinese strategists and then use them against the Chinese as well.
  • Never try to break away from the Chinese if your character is old or sick.
  • When the Chinese first attack, run away. I don't think they can get to 100% warscore through sieges alone. Be patient and wait a while and their armies might separate and you can defeat them in detail.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ninjahedgehog posted:

If someone injures my cat I'm flaying them alive and stringing them up on the Theodosian walls by their scrotum. He just wanted to give snuggles to the wounded men :(

Same, only their entire lineage and, yes, culture. :angry:

I haven't been hugely into CK2 for a couple years aside from some EK playing, but Holy Fury looks dope as hell.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm playing a wessex game on the earliest start, fabricating claims and just slowly getting bigger but my next battle will be against Mercia so I wonder how can I get more troops from my levy? Should I just save for mercs instead or are the buildings worthwhile? Managed to marry a claimant to a few provinces there so should be able to get three in a war if I play my cards right I guess?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

flashman posted:

I'm playing a wessex game on the earliest start, fabricating claims and just slowly getting bigger but my next battle will be against Mercia so I wonder how can I get more troops from my levy? Should I just save for mercs instead or are the buildings worthwhile? Managed to marry a claimant to a few provinces there so should be able to get three in a war if I play my cards right I guess?

Save for mercs. Investing in buildings is a better long term use of your money but it will take a while for the improvements to add up and make a difference. Getting land is the best way to get troops and mercs do that quickly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Buildings are literally the least useful thing you can do with your ducats excepting Republic poo poo past maybe the first level (or if you're a tribal)

Mercs equal more land, which equals more power and money. I used to compulsively build crap and it was a mistake, because a slush fund is invaluable both for defense and attacks, foe giving gifts to strop rebellions or getting plots moving or nowadays for making artifacts

I have played entire games never building a goddamn thing and it went fine

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ok that's good to know for my next attempt at this. Another related question, is building a second castle holding in a county going to give me the same amount of levy as a second county with a castle on it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

Ok that's good to know for my next attempt at this. Another related question, is building a second castle holding in a county going to give me the same amount of levy as a second county with a castle on it?

Depends where it is, but in general if you plan to personally control the castle, you're better off stacking them in one county than spreading them around.

The main thing to be aware of for both levies and taxes is that as you move away from your capital county, they go down. So it's highest in the capital county itself, then second highest in the capital duchy, then the de jure kingdom of that duchy, and so on (I think it ends up not making a difference once you go outside your primary duchy but I'm not exactly sure where the cutoff is). So ideally, what you want is a capital county with a lot of holding slots that are free for you to build castles, and put as many as you can fit in there. There is also the added bonus that when you assign your Marshal or Steward to train troops/collect taxes in a county, it affects every holding in that county. So if you have a ton of directly controlled castles in one county, you get a lot more out of those jobs than you do if they're spread around.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ahh dang, my ruler almost got to be immortal, but I followed the son suggestion and screw it up. She got depress and died a year later. :smith: Good job son, midas touch my rear end!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

flashman posted:

Your capital county gets a bonus to levies, so the real min/max thing to do is get a capital county with the most holdings you can find then build all castles you hold yourself, and then put your marshall there too because he'll give his bonus to all of them. Of course the funnest thing to do is then break it up with elective gavelkind or something.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you've got a county with lots of holdings, that's great, but since you can get new slots now with some luck (and a lot of money), there's no pressing need to migrate your capital.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Every time I play I forget how fuckin education works and my eyes glaze over when trying to digest the wiki page. Are there some hard and fast rules for the best educational focus and tutors for my heirs and random courtiers so I don't have to think about it too much?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

kingturnip posted:

If you've got a county with lots of holdings, that's great, but since you can get new slots now with some luck (and a lot of money), there's no pressing need to migrate your capital.
I've yet to see a new holding appear, even with like 25+ years at prosperity 3. What's the MTTH?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Duty/Struggle for 99% of your children, humility for dumbshit content vassals.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

Duty/Struggle for 99% of your children, humility for dumbshit content vassals.

Thrift is good for getting shrewd

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I go Duty->Stewardship with like 95% of my kids unless they seem to show a particular aptitude for something else.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Thrift if they don't have quick/genius, Duty or Struggle if they do. The event where Rowdy give them Dull or downgrades their congenital intelligence trait is annoying as poo poo, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been trying Pride for daughters to make them into intrigue bombs to mail to foreign nations like this thread has been suggesting, and Religion to get Idolizer for games with strong pagans that I want to try infiltrating and converting. God knows I've seen enough rulers flip to Jewish because of AI tutoring decisions. Heritage to help wipe out foreign cultures, struggle for prospective military leaders (not for geniuses though), duty for leaders I want to make it in this crazy world.

The real mystery is what stats make for good tutors. I know learning is definitely what you want for heritage conversion, but I don't know whether learning or the desired stats being high is more important.

Also in my latest game, I've really been discovering that the demesne limit penalty can really cripple your military. I've had levies go from 5k to 7k from just giving away counties. Still doesn't mean I won't greedily try to hold on to spare titles to have territories to give away to claimants. I'm terrible at seizing titles away from vassals.

Can you push a vassal's vassal's claim?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also in my latest game, I've really been discovering that the demesne limit penalty can really cripple your military. I've had levies go from 5k to 7k from just giving away counties. Still doesn't mean I won't greedily try to hold on to spare titles to have territories to give away to claimants. I'm terrible at seizing titles away from vassals.

Can you push a vassal's vassal's claim?
AFAIK yes. So long as they're in your realm/court, you can press their claim on a title.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Every county over your demesne limit reduces your levies from your non-capitol counties by 20%. There's not much reason to be over your limit for an extended period unless you plan to raise your limit or give away a county in the near future.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Friar John posted:

I've yet to see a new holding appear, even with like 25+ years at prosperity 3. What's the MTTH?

No idea, I got the final two slots in Middlesex within ~20 years of being at Booming.
I have a feeling - not sure how accurate it is, mind you - that you also need your Steward on 'Improve Demesne' for the event to fire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paradox Forums posted:

MTTH is 65 years so it is not super common.

The province must be the crown focus (has_flag = crown_focus_province)
The province must be at the highest level of prosperity (has_province_modifier = prosperity_modifier_3)

An then there is a heap of modifiers based on stats and traits (see the code below) which if you fulfil them all reduces the MTTH to ~22.66 years.

province_event = { #Reclaim Land id = RIP.11705 title = PROSPERITY_TITLE desc = RIP.11705.d picture = "GFX_evt_culture_change" border = GFX_event_normal_frame_economy has_flag = crown_focus_province trigger = { has_province_modifier = prosperity_modifier_3 NOT = { num_of_max_settlements = 7 } } mean_time_to_happen = { years = 65 modifier = { factor = 1.2 owner = { independent = no } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { stewardship = 12 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { stewardship = 16 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { stewardship = 18 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { learning = 12 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { learning = 16 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { learning = 18 } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { is_smart_trigger = yes } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { OR = { trait = administrator trait = architect trait = scholar trait = gardener } } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { trait = diligent } } modifier = { factor = 0.9 owner = { OR = { trait = scholarly_theologian trait = mastermind_theologian trait = charismatic_negotiator trait = grey_eminence trait = fortune_builder trait = midas_touched } } } } option = { name = RIP.11705.a ai_chance = { factor = 95 } owner = { scaled_wealth = -2.5 } add_holding_slot = 1 } option = { name = RIP.11705.b ai_chance = { factor = 5 } } }

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I really don't like how the army are in this game. Try to attack the small area on the south of Ireland, they have 1000 guys and 150 gold and I got 1500 guys and 280 gold. Declare war and suddenly they got 1700 guys and lose. Hire merc and beat them, suddenly they got 2000 guys now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep trying to breed a ready supply of dwarves, and they keep producing normal-sized children. Darn recessive traits.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I always like it when people post the way their games turn out so here's mine. Started in 769, and here's what the game turned into as of the year 1000. I'm the big green blob in India.

The Black Death is rolling through the world. The Umayyads have been unstoppable and Islam has been flooding into Europe, beating back multiple retaliatory crusades, but their ruler converted to Judaism for some reason and they're in civil war to kick him out.

The situation in the rest of Europe has been very fluid since the beginning. The HRE formed early on, in Italy and parts of France and Germany, but collapsed. A pagan Kingdom of Poland formed, flipped back and forth between Catholicism and paganism, conquered most of Scandinavia, then collapsed. After that, the Magyar nomads rolled in and conquered all of Eastern Europe, all of Scandinavia, and just about all of Germany, converted to Catholicism, then settled down and collapsed. The Karlings have been reduced to just a single duchy in England, and one duchy in the Netherlands. The Catholic world has been reduced to a weak, messy patchwork of small realms, and the power vacuum has been filled by the Byzantines and Muslims. The Muslims are now right at the Pope's doorstep, one county over from Rome, while the Byzantines have held steady against Jihads from the south.

For the first 100 years of the game, it looked like the Byzantines and Abbasids had mostly collapsed and were very weak for a while, but they've since regained their power.

The religion map:

Meanwhile in India, I finally broke away from China, and the Pala Empire has been let loose upon the world. I have a dozen viceroy kings expanding the empire in every direction on their own, the Muslims have been pushed out, and the new Pala Empire be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_MyUGq7pgs

The normal game map:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

flashman posted:

you should only ever be building new holdings or buildings if you absolutely have nothing better to do with the money. adding a new castle in a province does add a huge new pool of levy recruits, but it takes a long time and is expensive

the basic flowchart for getting huge as feudal is something like:

do you personally own every county in the primary duchy which you would like to hold as your personal demense? if not, conquer and stab
is there another duchy nearby which is almost as nice? do you own every little bit of it? if not, it's sword time
does every count or duke in your de jure kingdom bend the knee to you? slap them around if necessary
are there any extra holdings in your de jure counties which belong to some other dickhole? tear em up

at this point, once you've maxed out your demense, it might be worth it to start building castles to fill out empty holdings. only because it is always cheaper and more effective to take some other sucker's castle than pay to build a new one

fuf posted:

Every time I play I forget how fuckin education works and my eyes glaze over when trying to digest the wiki page. Are there some hard and fast rules for the best educational focus and tutors for my heirs and random courtiers so I don't have to think about it too much?

struggle if you want to raise a warrior

duty if you want to raise a bean counter

humility if you want to raise a pushover

heritage if you have someone else's heir as a prisoner and want to gently caress their succession

basically just pick struggle for your heirs if you're gonna be fighting, duty for all your children and family you give a poo poo about, and humility if you don't care about the kid

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 15, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thrift is also really good because it gets a ton of stewardship points and also has a high change of ultimately ending up with shrewd, which is a flat +2 to every stat. Pride is good for making stabby murder machines.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, none of the picks are really bad, depending on what kind of adult you're trying to create. but in terms of "i dont want to have to think of this" then struggle/duty covers everything you would want, and humility a good general pick to cripple a child

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The wessex start was much easier this time as I started as the earl of Dorset instead of the loser king of wessex. Stabbed him and married a genius and had this great 65 year rule of killing vikings and taking over southern England.

I was trying to form England and instead made the Kingdom of wessex, is that going to stay forever or can I create England down the road when I get more counties and make that my primary title?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I keep trying to breed a ready supply of dwarves, and they keep producing normal-sized children. Darn recessive traits.

Crusader Kings doesn't model genetics beyond the parents. All the congenital traits are just things that have a small chance of happening any time a kid is born plus a larger chance based on if one or both parents have them.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Related to the tips above, I’m still really confused about how the titles should be distributed? I keep getting wars against me for having too many titles (but I’m under the demense limit) so I wasn’t sure of the best way to hold them. I’m using ck2plus so I can’t remember how much of this was different than vanilla

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Rirse posted:

I really don't like how the army are in this game. Try to attack the small area on the south of Ireland, they have 1000 guys and 150 gold and I got 1500 guys and 280 gold. Declare war and suddenly they got 1700 guys and lose. Hire merc and beat them, suddenly they got 2000 guys now.

I can see how this would be frustrating to a new player, but it's really only an issue in the early game. All christians have access to the 300g loan, which buys enough mercs to double or triple your army size if you're a single province count. If you can push past that and blob a bit bigger, the impact of mercs in a typical war goes way down.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Banana Man posted:

Related to the tips above, I’m still really confused about how the titles should be distributed? I keep getting wars against me for having too many titles (but I’m under the demense limit) so I wasn’t sure of the best way to hold them. I’m using ck2plus so I can’t remember how much of this was different than vanilla

This sounds like a CK2+ thing? I've never heard of a rebellion related to having too many titles.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I played a game in India to grab some achievements, so of course Europe went crazy. Germanic reformed before the year 800, HRE went Orthodox early on, and Catholicism was wiped out around 1100. There's also some of the worst borders I've ever seen:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Various Meat Products posted:

This sounds like a CK2+ thing? I've never heard of a rebellion related to having too many titles.

Ahh yeah you aren’t probably right but I think I’m gonna have to disable it cause it happens 2-3 times per reign lol

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, it sounds like part of the CK2+ faction system. One of the things the permanent factions in Plus can demand if they're angry enough is "give one of us one of your extra counties" (even if you're under the demesne limit) - you can prevent this by keeping enough of them happy with you that they won't vote to send you that demand at their meeting, or alternatively by having them murdered and replaced by people who like you.

(or you can just win the war if you think you're hard enough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

So I made England and then some rebels on the continent attacked lothranian ruler and I got a giant piece of land in East France and most of Italy. It was pretty hectic transferring vassals and stuff to get back to my limit ( I had been building centralization to increase my demense).

Now there is a title loss on succession of that kingdom and I'm not sure why. The heir to that kingdom is my second born son, and England the first born. I don't have the prestige to make an empire which I assume would fix that, why are the two kingdoms going to different heirs (same mother).

• Locked thread