Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

[California] I'm a security guard and am on-call literally 24/7. What pay am I entitled to? (self.legaladvice)

I was recently promoted to supervisor, which I understand is non-exempt from overtime laws. I have no ability to hire or fire and only make $15 an hour.

When I was promoted to the position, I was told that I cannot refuse to work for personal reasons like going on dates etc (I had previously declined work because I was on my way to meet a girl for a date).

I have been called at all hours of the day/night. Since being promoted, the longest break I had was 6 hours. And even that was interupted by calls and texts from my superiors.

I am required to travel to multiple posts every day for various reasons, including training guards and driving guards to their posts.

I don't really have time to use for personal reasons. I am even told when I can sleep. I am required to have a uniform in addition to a suit and tie with me at all times.

If I have a 2 hour break, but a round-trip to my house and back would take two hours, do they have to pay me?

Any and all help is appreciated. I just feel like a slave and can't find another job at the moment (I don't have time to). What time must they pay me for?

Executive summary: that’s a few hundred thousand dollars of wage theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol imagine thinking the actual researchers are gonna be the ones making billions, and not the execs that own and run the company the researchers work for

Imagine thinking that

lol, ou luddite, amazing innovators and scientists like Elizabeth Holmes and Elon Musk get personally rewarded by the marketplace for their awesome new technologies

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lol imagine thinking the actual researchers are gonna be the ones making billions, and not the execs that own and run the company the researchers work for

Imagine thinking that

i was assuming government funded R&D was just basically grants to university researchers, who do tend to be the ones that found companies if their research has business potential. someone has to understand the research after all, and who better than the researchers themselves. they usually get a business-savvy co-founder, and get nice company stock options.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

qkkl posted:

i was assuming government funded R&D was just basically grants to university researchers, who do tend to be the ones that found companies if their research has business potential. someone has to understand the research after all, and who better than the researchers themselves. they usually get a business-savvy co-founder, and get nice company stock options.

I don't think you have anywhere near as accurate a picture of pharmaceutical research as you seem to think you do.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qkkl posted:

bezos is a legit genius, i'd rather him be in charge of the education system then someone who got the job because of connections.

Bezos hasnt worked a day in his life and is lazy as poo poo and is stupid as poo poo and should probably be loving murdered and all his money taken from him

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i spent 7 years doing security work in my early 20s and the same thing would happen

managers would scream and meltdown if you said "no" to mandatory overtime it was great

feller
Jul 5, 2006

qkkl posted:

certainly not ruthless

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

WampaLord posted:

The government funds most drug R&D right now, private companies just make a couple changes then make bank off privatizing the government funded research. The profit is not going into R&D, it's going to executive bank accounts.

This is 100% correct and another example of "privatized profit, socialized risk." Research is rarely profitable.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mycomancy posted:

This is 100% correct and another example of "privatized profit, socialized risk." Research is rarely profitable.

Lol we need research to further technology

You can't just make something without resea-

Oh Silicon Valley...right

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

qkkl posted:

bezos is a legit genius, i'd rather him be in charge of the education system then someone who got the job because of connections.

qkkl posted:

The purpose of allowing companies to make a profit would be to give an incentive for future companies to develop new drugs. Even if the R&D is funded by the government it would still be good to give those researchers who receive the government funds an incentive to work hard. A researcher would work harder on developing the cure for cancer if they knew that they would be a billionaire if they succeeded, as opposed to just receiving their government funded salary.

3/10, subpar trolling. I'd give it a 2/10 but some people are responding earnestly.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Siljmonster posted:

Lol we need research to further technology

You can't just make something without resea-

Oh Silicon Valley...right

You managed to type all these words yet not say anything with them. Christ I hate this thread being in CSPAM.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/14/news/companies/sears-pension-retirees/index.html

quote:

What's to blame for the problems at Sears? Amazon? Bad management?

CEO and primary shareholder Eddie Lampert has another idea: It's the company's own retirees.

Sears turned in another bleak quarterly earnings report on Thursday, and Lampert complained about the billions of dollars that Sears owes its former employees through pension plans.

This is after they paid the sears canada board millions of dollars through the death spiral while loving all their regular employees with criminally underfunded pensions.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

mycomancy posted:

You managed to type all these words yet not say anything with them. Christ I hate this thread being in CSPAM.

TRUMP

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My wife and I’s gross household income is apparently enough to be considered “middle class.”

had a good chuckle at that.

Can’t even afford to buy a decent house or have kids yet. I heard a lot of people actually do both of those :laffo:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
lol just stop eating avocado on toast at cafes. That’s why I can’t afford a house apparently.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My wife and I’s gross household income is apparently enough to be considered “middle class.”

Can’t even afford to buy a decent house or have kids yet. I heard a lot of people actually do both of those :laffo:
"Middle class" means "not yet dying in debt."

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

at this point "middle class" means you're not eating unsold bread out of the bakery dumpster. anything to avoid saying the words "working class" or "working poor"

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mycomancy posted:

shuyt hte gently caress up i posted like poo poo when this dumb poo poo was in GBS go whine somewhere else you fuckiong bootlicker

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Imagine thinking that

Reminder that most of the "cost" of making a new drug is actually accounting fiction, made up of missed gains - how much they'd have made if they had invested the R&D money in the stock market instead - and not the actual cost of drug development

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

qkkl posted:

A researcher would work harder on developing the cure for cancer if they knew that they would be a billionaire if they succeeded, as opposed to just receiving their government funded salary.
lol your mental model of a human is that of a pig

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

the median individual income in the US is ~$31k

which means half of income earners earn below that

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also the researchers who invented insulin treatment for diabetics and the polio vaccine literally made their works publicly available for free with the intent of doing the most public good instead of focusing on trying to strike it rich

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

comedyblissoption posted:

also the researchers who invented insulin treatment for diabetics and the polio vaccine literally made their works publicly available for free with the intent of doing the most public good instead of focusing on trying to strike it rich

morons were probably suffering from syphilis. smdh

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

qkkl posted:

The purpose of allowing companies to make a profit would be to give an incentive for future companies to develop new drugs. Even if the R&D is funded by the government it would still be good to give those researchers who receive the government funds an incentive to work hard. A researcher would work harder on developing the cure for cancer if they knew that they would be a billionaire if they succeeded, as opposed to just receiving their government funded salary.

Cancer researcher here, now cancer clinical trial manager: you are a moron

But also, lol at anyone who thinks the majority of R&D costs are borne by the taxpayer. The NIH got $37bn this year, which is the R&D budget of like 4 of the larger pharmas. There are many pharma companies. Not saying that pharma doesn't profit from fundamental research subsided by state institutions, but I have to lol at how wildly skewed the public perception of the pharma model is

WeAreTheRomans has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Sep 16, 2018

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

are we still the society that puts poison on food that isn’t sold to stop beggars eating it out of the trash bin?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

mycomancy posted:

Lol pining for gbs quality

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Auspol Crosspost

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zenithe posted:

Auspol Crosspost

those good dogs do not deserve this

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They look sad

Poor Bruce & Gary. Poor renters.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

comedyblissoption posted:

it's true that some researchers aren't driven by the goal of getting money. but some are, so it would be good to get those more materialistic researchers on board with monetary incentives, otherwise their talents would be lost to more lucrative fields.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

qkkl posted:

it's true that some researchers aren't driven by the goal of getting money. but some are, so it would be good to get those more materialistic researchers on board with monetary incentives, otherwise their talents would be lost to more lucrative fields.

brb gonna go back to college and get a new degree because this field wont make me rich enough

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Lol if you want to make bank, you don't go into biomedical research science.

"All I care about is money. Should I get any job in the finance industry? No, let's try to become one of the top <1% researchers in the world."

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Imagine forcing your employees to use someone else's paid time off for any reason.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pomplamoose posted:

Each notebook carries an introduction to a great Anti-Capitalist thinker on the inside front page, their name beautifully printed on the cover - and otherwise empty pages for your own projects.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The organization I work for routinely sends out sick leave donation requests on behalf of folks who need it. Since most of the people requesting it were women, I figured it was all pregnancy-related. Then I found out you're not allowed to use sick leave for anything beyond the initial hospital portion of childbirth, so everything after that has to be covered by your accrued vacation days, which we cannot donate. All those people requesting sick leave donations were doing it because they had cancer or something equally terrible.

Fingers crossed that people will be feeling generous when it's my turn to die on the payroll. God bless America. :patriot:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Why do you people put up with that crap? Why can’t sick people be given proper paid leave?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Why do you people put up with that crap? Why can’t sick people be given proper paid leave?

People don't put up with that crap, which is why we voted for Donald Trump for president because he's going to fix everything Obama broke about the economy like that :colbert:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

because America’s captains of industry have concentrated capital into so few hands that they maintain a massive pool of unemployed talent to pick from in order to immediately replace any employee caught slacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I asked a friend who gets that mythical thing called sick time what it's like once. His answer was "I get 5 a year and I've used 4 because getting up on Mondays is rough"

Fucker.