Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd really rather play through Omega or primals with them than do my thousandth toto-rak cause they're only that far. Like it's fun to hang out with friends but hanging out with them in Brayflox normal is probably worse than hanging out irl and not playing ffxiv with them

quote:

Compromising the experience of a new player you presumably want to stay with the game for your own benefit seems kind of lovely.

I don't recommend jump potions. I just stop recommending the game at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

weird to see verranicus chatting earnestly about something.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

City of Heroes had that neat sidekick/exemplar system that gave out rewards and the like. Sidekick was especially good, since it artificially leveled the new player to one level below the mentor, but still gave them experience as if they were leveling normally.

There was a leash range for the effect. So you could potentially just run out of range and get one shotted if you were overeager.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

b_d posted:

weird to see verranicus chatting earnestly about something.

I like FFXIV and love introducing my friends to the game. Playing through it with my wife is awesome fun, and going through it again whenever a new friend picks it up to see their reactions to all the cool moments rules. It's the reason I have like 4-5 characters at the level cap along with my main dude with all the jobs maxed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I would say the one thing, the idea of taking your time when a ton of content is ahead and you're paying a monthly fee is probably a bit daunting, I can see wanting to just be on the new stuff as fast as possible if you don't want to pay that much but also I don't know how much they charge for that skip potion, either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I would say the one thing, the idea of taking your time when a ton of content is ahead and you're paying a monthly fee is probably a bit daunting, I can see wanting to just be on the new stuff as fast as possible if you don't want to pay that much but also I don't know how much they charge for that skip potion, either.
normally $25 for the story skip, and a separate $25 for a level 60 skip, but they're on sale for a limited time only @ $17 each wow what a deal

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

But how is the new stuff any more new than the old stuff if it's someones first time playing?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Verranicus posted:

I like FFXIV and love introducing my friends to the game. Playing through it with my wife is awesome fun, and going through it again whenever a new friend picks it up to see their reactions to all the cool moments rules. It's the reason I have like 4-5 characters at the level cap along with my main dude with all the jobs maxed.

are you also the guy who likes wildstar because i’m beginning to build context for the type of games you like

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Verranicus posted:

But how is the new stuff any more new than the old stuff if it's someones first time playing?

I just mean in the sense that people play up how good the later content is more than the beginning stuff, I don't actually know a drat thing about FFXIV outside of when people talk about it on these forums.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

are you also the guy who likes wildstar because i’m beginning to build context for the type of games you like

I'm on record saying I don't care for Wildstar. I'm playing through it (2 zones left) to get some video footage before they pull the plug, is all.

Phantasium posted:

I just mean in the sense that people play up how good the later content is more than the beginning stuff, I don't actually know a drat thing about FFXIV outside of when people talk about it on these forums.

I guess? I don't really see it that way, myself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The content in ffxiv gets almost monotonically better and for a player who completely 100% does not care about story (and has infinite money) I would recommend buying the skip.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

The content in ffxiv gets almost monotonically better and for a player who completely 100% does not care about story (and has infinite money) I would recommend buying the skip.

Why would you pick FFXIV of all MMOs if you don't care about the story? There exist better options for both endgame raiding and PVP. The story and setting are what sells FFXIV.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean I wouldn't. I was responding to a specific post with a specific response

e: also, hypothetically, someone who wants to raid with friends, and knows that a few of us play ffxiv already

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phantasium posted:

the big thing with ff14 that sets it apart from most MMOs is that there is one Big Questline that starts the moment you make your character and has been continuously added to for the past 5 years. they've gotten a lot better at storytelling and encounter design since 2.0 came out, but everything builds up on what's happened before, so if you buy the skip you're coming in at quest 400 out of 600 or whatever it is now and have no context for anything that's happening

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who needs context for what’s happening in an mmo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a final fantasy game, the 14th one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My basic view of ffxiv is that it's way too drat long as a single-player game, and as a multiplayer game it fails to be fun for the veteran player when you pair up a veteran and a newbie. It's fun for two veterans to play together, or for two newbies to play together. As a veteran, I have my fun, but I make no effort to recruit because it's just not going to be an enjoyable experience for me to accompany a friend as they level--I'd rather just play a different video game with them altogether.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who needs context for what’s happening in a final fantasy game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

the Empire's super soldier commander wants to kill and/or replace God and/or the Emperor

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol if you care about the story in a mmo

The story in ff14 isn't even "good" :ssh:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

contrary to popular belief, some final fantasy games are video games with narratives that build on existing context

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Verranicus posted:

Its an MMO, so "new stuff" means there's other players around, while "old stuff" means a barren wasteland of ghosts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

contrary to popular belief, some final fantasy games are video games with narratives that build on existing context

who cares get the fancy teens the big sword and shove it up god’s rear end in a top hat and we’re good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Its an MMO, so "new stuff" means there's other players around, while "old stuff" means a barren wasteland of ghosts.

That's not how 14 works.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

That's not how 14 works.

Yeah it still is. A few people are around leveling alt-jobs but its not the same as being on current content with the main majority of the server population.

I had to do a long slog through vanilla to catch up to heavensward, and through the end of the patch content for heavensward to get to stormblood, and both of those experiences plus leveling alts is not super great. I usually use pvp to level alts until they get close to current level content.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Cowcaster posted:

Me, I like big dumb video game stories, it is a vice

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There are people who mash skip cutscenes in jrpgs and I don't get it. With few exceptions jrpg combat is not that special so like, why are you even playing if you're skipping the primary element of the game?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wait, that's not right, I tried FFXIV, i stopped when i finally had to queue up for a dungeon and after an hour it had found nobody. then i tried it for three more nights that week and same thing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it still is. A few people are around leveling alt-jobs but its not the same as being on current content with the main majority of the server population.

I had to do a long slog through vanilla to catch up to heavensward, and through the end of the patch content for heavensward to get to stormblood, and both of those experiences plus leveling alts is not super great. I usually use pvp to level alts until they get close to current level content.

No, really, you're wrong. Maybe your server is low pop because that's not the experience I have had leveling half a dozen alts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks for the advice. I bought Stormblood. I thought that I might wait until I got back to my desktop in a few weeks but the benchmark says my laptop can run it on low so I might just jump in

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you play on excalibur post your name and let's do a dungeon sometime

Phantasium posted:

wait, that's not right, I tried FFXIV, i stopped when i finally had to queue up for a dungeon and after an hour it had found nobody. then i tried it for three more nights that week and same thing.
yeah, solo dps queues are not good. its usually closer to 15-20 minutes but I'm guessing you were playing around the time they added a new dps job, they get especially bad around then. tank and healer queues are almost always instant but they can't incentivize people enough to step up

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Skip all cutscenes, read a synopsis on your next bus ride or something

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It takes about three seconds to watch your character smile and nod, and boy is there a lot of smiling and nodding in your average FFXIV dialogue cutscene, probably accounts for like 10% of my playtime tbh

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Skip all cutscenes, read a synopsis on your next bus ride or something

Terrible advice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Verranicus how is your cat doing? I hope the cat is feeling better

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

Verranicus how is your cat doing? I hope the cat is feeling better

He's much better. They basically had to operate and turn him into a girl, and he was in a cone for weeks. He's mostly all healed up now and we have the cone off and he's acting like his old self, just looking real dumb with his fluff ending around his butt so it looks like he forgot to put pants on. Still keeping an eye on him and we're slowly paying off the vet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

great now i can’t enjoy a big old pile of hot wings without thinking of that scene from existenz

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Your cat get a urinary blockage or something? We went through that, very expensive. Didn't get the sex change option though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

Your cat get a urinary blockage or something? We went through that, very expensive. Didn't get the sex change option though.

Yeah, over a period of a month or two he kept getting blocked and we visited the vet like 10 times. Tried everything, until eventually we basically had to beg them to put us on a payment plan for the surgery as a last resort (2000+ dollars for that alone). When they went in they discovered that in that last stretch where he'd gotten real bad and lethargic his urethra had basically ruptured and he would have died had we not brought him in, but they fixed him up and he seems a lot better now.

Still get paranoid every now and then though. There's not really any other options after the surgery besides euthanasia or a life of being in and out of the vet to be flushed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I watch all cutscenes in their entirety for every game regardless of if it's just pointless tutorial dialogue or how many times I've played it.

• Locked thread