Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

So the equation there is delicious / kill / give you superpowers?
bitten by a radioactive mushroom, gain its powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COdkHuogVkw

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pidan posted:

The boar eats the mushrooms and hence becomes radioactive, which just again goes to show how this world is full of wondrous things.

Incidentally I recently found a podcast called "medieval death trip" which features curious stories from medieval (British) chronicles, which might be interesting to some of you. I have only listened to a few episodes, so I can't vouch for its overall quality. But it seems well made.

:science:

Biomagnification: many toxic things work their way up the food chain, especially toxins that are fat-soluble. Therefore, apex predators (such as tuna, more in a bit) are especially vulnerable to biomagnification as they retain the fat-soluble toxic stuff they consume.

We live in a mostly water-soluble environment, and our bodies are mostly water. Water-soluble toxins? Well, you just piss them out, assuming your liver and kidneys are working normally. Have an (alcoholic) drink? You're drinking toxins but you'll piss it out, whatevs.

Fat-soluble toxins? That's trouble, because human bodies don't have a good way of eliminating them. That's why you're cautioned to not eat too much tuna--mercury is a fat-soluble toxin, tuna are apex predators, so they concentrate a ton of mercury in their flesh. I mean, you can eat a tuna sammich every day and just barely scrape the advised consumption limit. There is a huge difference between "we can detect this and it's bad" and "impacting your health."

I actually have no idea why mushrooms would be particularly affected by Chernobyl radiation. But 'shrooms in general are to be avoided unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

edit: apparently 137Ce (Cesium 137) is highly absorbed by fungi and thereby wild pigs.

The paranoia is understandable, don't eat wild mushrooms or wild pigs in Chernobyl-affected areas.

Even then, it's not gonna kill you. It's important to distinguish between group and individual outcomes.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 15, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so this post seems to think the idea of things like "generational curses" (:wtc:) slipped into Catholicism from Protestantism through Charismatic Catholics.

https://catholicdoors.com/isit/isit12.htm

My problem here is that Fr. Ripperger is a Latin Mass kind of guy. I had no idea they and the Charismatics overlapped. Can someone who knows more about various Catholic subcultures fill me in?

edit: I noticed on Amazon that some of his books have Imprimaturs and some don't. I don't think any have Nihil Obstats.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 16, 2018

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Not a Catholic, but Adam Blai (peritus for the diocese of Pittsburgh on demon stuff) mentions generational curses. Not sure where he stands from charismatic to not on that scale.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Purely anecdotal, but I suspect there's a pipeline from Catholic Charismatic -> American Evangelical Charismatic, especially in Hispanic communities in the US.

Also, Korean-American Christians are extremely pious, to the extent that most churches in Los Angeles advertise services in Korean and Spanish with English a sad third.

edit: while I was living in LA, probably the only group I came in contact with who was similarly pious were Armenians. Korean and Armenian Christians are for real, folks.

There are Spanish-language Evangelical Charismatic churches everywhere in LA. I used to walk miles between bus stops and passing some storefront with "Iglesia Pentecostal de la Luz de Cristos" or similar signage was pretty common.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 16, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I looked at a family tree of Korean presbyterian demonimations on wikipedia once and ended up with a nosebleed

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 19, 2019

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

pidan posted:

This text is interesting:

Let’s bring back the Sabbath as a radical act against ‘total work’

I'm posting this from Germany where generally speaking you're not allowed to work on Sunday, although there are obviously very many exceptions. Shops are closed though!

While I certainly agree with the point of the article (and even if it’s sometimes inconvenient I’m extremely glad that we have legally set shop closing times and free Sundays in Germany) I think it’s a bit weird that he would base so much of his argument on the Israelite slavery in Egypt, given that scholarly consensus seems to be that it probably never happened.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

System Metternich posted:

While I certainly agree with the point of the article (and even if it’s sometimes inconvenient I’m extremely glad that we have legally set shop closing times and free Sundays in Germany) I think it’s a bit weird that he would base so much of his argument on the Israelite slavery in Egypt, given that scholarly consensus seems to be that it probably never happened.

While not actually arguing against anyone, I'd like to point out that scholarly consensus also says (or has to assume) that resurrection never happened.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that... seems like apples and oranges to me

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, I don’t really think that you can compare the two. There is no way to either prove or disprove whether a single person in a half-forgotten corner of the world that was not a powerful king or anything like that did die or not, whereas for the biblical account of the exodus being correct we would first have to assume that everything we think we know about ancient Egyptian slavery is wrong and that archaeology and historiography managed to overlook the majority of Egypt’s population (by biblical accounts two million jews out of maybe 3.5 million people altogether) being Israelite slaves who one day simply up and went.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

If y'all are this chicken about foraging I probably shouldn't tell you about my personal favorite: Amanita Rubescens, or "blushing fly-agaric" in Danish - a part of the agaric family, and this is the only edible kind. It looks nearly identical to the panther agaric (amanita pantherina), which gives fevers, muscle cramps and potentially permanent liver damage.

It's simply a matter of picking some years with an experienced picker, I've eaten hundreds and never mistaken the two. You simply practice without stuffing everything in your drat head is all.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Yeah, I don’t really think that you can compare the two. There is no way to either prove or disprove whether a single person in a half-forgotten corner of the world that was not a powerful king or anything like that did die or not, whereas for the biblical account of the exodus being correct we would first have to assume that everything we think we know about ancient Egyptian slavery is wrong and that archaeology and historiography managed to overlook the majority of Egypt’s population (by biblical accounts two million jews out of maybe 3.5 million people altogether) being Israelite slaves who one day simply up and went.

Like I said, I'm not arguing about the Exodus specifically. Perhaps my comment wasn't relevant to you at all. I meant it as sort of an aside that using scholarly consensus when talking about matters of faith can be problematic at times and we shouldn't really give a pass to everything scholars say.

Now, before I continue I'm well aware that so far I sound a lot like a science denier or something. I'm struggling a bit to express myself in English here.

My point is that to do good science, most fields of study, especially in history, have to be critical about what we call miracles. My quickly phone posted comment there was related to studies that concern, for example, the birth of Christianity. You will arrive at way different conclusions if you try to explain it without taking into account that Jesus actually rose from the dead and actively helped and answered to prayers or if you accept that as a premise. The thing is, the former is way more scientific than the latter.

The Exodus is kind of a lynchpin in the story of the people of Israel and entirely discrediting it takes away huge portions of traditions, culture and faith. That's the connection I was aiming at when comparing it to the resurrection.

Basically, I was probably trying to just do a general reminder that miracles aren't scientific.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
something doesn’t have to be historically true to have meaning

i mean it’s not like the jewish people being beset by oppression and forces of death is untrue. just that jews weren’t slaves in egypt

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i mean it’s not like the jewish people being beset by oppression and forces of death is untrue. just that jews weren’t slaves in egypt

right, which is why claims about science from the bible are of a different order than st. christopher with his dog head

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Senju Kannon posted:

And some things need to be historically true to have a meaning. I'm not an expert with what the jewish people believe and why so I'm not arguing one way or the other in this particular matter. It's a crucial story, however, what with being directly linked to their heritage, be that people or land or law.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Valiantman posted:

And some things need to be historically true to have a meaning. I'm not an expert with what the jewish people believe and why so I'm not arguing one way or the other in this particular matter. It's a crucial story, however, what with being directly linked to their heritage, be that people or land or law.

Oh, I'd never dispute that! I just thought it to be somewhat weird that a professor of history would state this as absolute fact and not contextualise it as a biblical account and/or a theological idea, but instead as historical truth. Hebrew slavery in Egypt in all likelihood wasn't a thing (or if it was, than only a fringe phenomenon), and therefore the idea of keeping the Sabbath can't have anything to do with it. It definitely can have something to with the idea of the Exodus, though, but I guess presenting Exodus as the definite account of what happened just doesn't sit right with me, especially if the author is someone whose very job it is (or should be) to check sources and question convenient narratives.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oh, I'd never dispute that! I just thought it to be somewhat weird that a professor of history would state this as absolute fact and not contextualise it as a biblical account and/or a theological idea, but instead as historical truth. Hebrew slavery in Egypt in all likelihood wasn't a thing (or if it was, than only a fringe phenomenon), and therefore the idea of keeping the Sabbath can't have anything to do with it. It definitely can have something to with the idea of the Exodus, though, but I guess presenting Exodus as the definite account of what happened just doesn't sit right with me, especially if the author is someone whose very job it is (or should be) to check sources and question convenient narratives.

They wouldn't have had to be literal slaves for the story to work. Just a disrespected lower caste that wasn't free to come and go. Pharaoh and the "let my people go!" confrontation depends only on them not being free to leave, not that they were individually owned by someone else.

I've always understood the bar to their leaving to be economic necessity, sort of like how an upper-class Victorian household would collapse if all the help left at once.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

They wouldn't have had to be literal slaves for the story to work. Just a disrespected lower caste that wasn't free to come and go. Pharaoh and the "let my people go!" confrontation depends only on them not being free to leave, not that they were individually owned by someone else.

I've always understood the bar to their leaving to be economic necessity, sort of like how an upper-class Victorian household would collapse if all the help left at once.

Sure, except a lot of the evidence suggests that the Exodus didn't happen at all, and that the Israelites were an indigenous Canaanite kingdom. The story was made up because "We conquered this land with the help of the gods" was a more legitimate basis for rule than "We've just always been here."

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 19, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Sure, except a lot of the evidence suggests that the Exodus didn't happen at all, and that the Israelites were an indigenous Canaanite kingdom. The story was made up because "We conquered this land with the help of the gods" was a more legitimate basis for rule than "We've just always been here."

The evidence is uncertain, as it's not at all clear exactly what evidence one would expect to see if a small band of settlers from Egypt showed up unannounced at the start of the Iron Age.

It's certainly possible that the Exodus story is entirely made up, but stating that as a certain fact is a distortion.

"We don't know" is a perfectly valid scientific opinion.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

The evidence is uncertain, as it's not at all clear exactly what evidence one would expect to see if a small band of settlers from Egypt showed up unannounced at the start of the Iron Age.

It's certainly possible that the Exodus story is entirely made up, but stating that as a certain fact is a distortion.

"We don't know" is a perfectly valid scientific opinion.

"We don't know" is a perfectly valid scientific option, but what the book of Numbers and Joshua describes is over a million people (Numbers gives about 600,000 adult men) coming into Canaan, defeating the land's armies, sacking its cities, and exterminating and enslaving its inhabitants. If that were to happen, you'd expect to find discontinuity in the archeological record. But you don't. The physical culture seems to be the same, the religion seems to be the same, the language seems to be the same. I mean, before the Exodus happened, you have the Canaanites making Canaanite pottery, worshiping Baal-Hadad, and writing proto-Hebrew. After the Exodus happened, you have the Israelites making Canaanite pottery, worshiping Baal-Hadad and writing proto-Hebrew.

So lets just say that we have no evidence of the Exodus happening other than writings made at least 500 years after it supposedly occurred?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epicurius posted:

"We don't know" is a perfectly valid scientific option, but what the book of Numbers and Joshua describes is over a million people (Numbers gives about 600,000 adult men) coming into Canaan, defeating the land's armies, sacking its cities, and exterminating and enslaving its inhabitants. If that were to happen, you'd expect to find discontinuity in the archeological record. But you don't. The physical culture seems to be the same, the religion seems to be the same, the language seems to be the same. I mean, before the Exodus happened, you have the Canaanites making Canaanite pottery, worshiping Baal-Hadad, and writing proto-Hebrew. After the Exodus happened, you have the Israelites making Canaanite pottery, worshiping Baal-Hadad and writing proto-Hebrew.

So lets just say that we have no evidence of the Exodus happening other than writings made at least 500 years after it supposedly occurred?

There's no evidence that the Exodus happened the way the Bible describes it.

That doesn't rule out other sorts of processes that result in some Egyptian refugees from the Sea Peoples invasion ending up in Palestine. It's certain that at least some of the tribes of the Hebrew Confederation were locals, but that does not imply that all of them were.

There's a whole lot of possibilities between "completely true" and "completely false."

One of the more interesting developments of the last few decades is the discovery of new Iron Age I settlements in the Judean highlands by a previously unidentified people who didn't eat pork. They are generally accepted as being proto-Israelites, but where they came from and why they made themselves culturally distinct is an open question still being argued about.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It seems that the body of Christ, of which we are all a part, is partly historic but wholly miraculous. The implications this has for how we might each choose to live our daily lives in kronos-time may be a lifelong fascination for me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Hey everyone, sorry to come Kramering into the thread but I have a quick question.

Is there any faith that has an emphasis on suicide as a form of atonement? I can't seem to find any articles on it at present. Thank you!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Josef bugman posted:

Hey everyone, sorry to come Kramering into the thread but I have a quick question.

Is there any faith that has an emphasis on suicide as a form of atonement? I can't seem to find any articles on it at present. Thank you!

One thing comes to mind: the Jain religion has a ritual where the ascetic stops consuming anything, because life is taken no matter what one consumes. It is purity by suicide, though not necessarily for atonement, I think.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

One thing comes to mind: the Jain religion has a ritual where the ascetic stops consuming anything, because life is taken no matter what one consumes. It is purity by suicide, though not necessarily for atonement, I think.

japanese self-mummifying aescetics

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slimy Hog posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for podcasts focusing on Orthodox Theology?
if you like the modern ancient-faith-radio style stuff, these people are on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PatristicsProject
if you like the real deal, patristics are all out of copyright so i have had good luck going to youtube or google and just typing "[AUTHOR]+audiobook"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 16, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

japanese self-mummifying aescetics

Oh that reminds me! The “marathon monks” of the Tendai school of Buddhism perform a religious pilgrimage that is physically grueling. If they fail to finish the pilgrimage they must commit suicide as “atonement” for their “sin.” (Obviously neither in a Christian sense.)

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 17, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Interesting.

quote:

Pope Francis has expelled the Reverend Cristian Precht Bañados of Chile, according to a statement from the Archdiocese of Santiago.

This is the first formal resignation the Pope has decreed since every bishop in Chile offered to step down in May over the country's sex abuse scandal. The move is thought to be unprecedented in the modern history of the Catholic Church.
Precht had been suspended in 2012 from practicing within the ministry for five years after the Archbishop of Santiago ordered a criminal investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against him.
The Archbishop issued a statement at the time saying that "during the process were established verifiable reports of abusive behavior with adults and minors."
Precht has not been charged with any crimes by Chilean authorities, but was not allowed to leave the country's capital, Santiago, pending completion of the church investigation.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Coming from complete ignorance here, so bear with me, but is this seriously a "move unprecedented in the modern history of the catholic church"? Have no pope expelled anyone for sexually abusing kids before? :o

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
No, that part's bullshit. Laicizations of priests happen all the drat time and have for decades re sexual abuse.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maybe they meant the mass resignation offer was unprecedented?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Maybe, but if so then they phrased it really, really badly.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"This is the first formal resignation the Pope has decreed since every bishop in Chile offered to step down in May over the country's sex abuse scandal. The move is thought to be unprecedented in the modern history of the Catholic Church." I'm pretty sure it means the resignations, yes.

Also, "expel" is a bit strong, he wasn't excommunicated, just laicized.

(Also also, it's interesting to see the local diocese apparently being more effective than local secular law enforcement, unless "the Archbishop of Santiago ordered a criminal investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against him" means "reported him to the people who normally investigate crimes"?)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/GDemacopoulos/status/1041680125870395392

on the other hand, the ethiopians and the eritreans have come back into communion with each other after I don't know how many years, so that's nice

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

https://twitter.com/GDemacopoulos/status/1041680125870395392

on the other hand, the ethiopians and the eritreans have come back into communion with each other after I don't know how many years, so that's nice

The 'heresies' in question as purported by some ROC higher-ups are:
- Now priests can re-marry, if they are widowers, or the first wife leaves them, which is obviously a very important theological issue that everyone always deeply cared about
- Bartholomew wants to be an Orthodox Pope, which is a heresy because reasons

Keep in mind, it's just white noise to give lay people some semblance of an excuse if things go from bad to worse, but officially ROC is still pretending to try weak diplomacy.

Also, an interesting historical parallel can be drawn with the events in the Ottoman Empire 150 years ago, when the Bulgarian Orthodox Church pleaded for autocephaly from Constantinople. Russia strongly supported autocephaly then, because that was a good chance to expand their influence. Russian Church even maintained communion with Bulgarian bishops and priests when Constantinople did not. The situation was solved when Constantinople made BOC an autonomous exarchate, and much later, in 1953, they got their own patriarch. There was another split over legitimacy of a communism-era patriarch after that in the 90-s, but it's also sorted now. Hopefully Ukraine will get there, too.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 17, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think the next question is, is Latveria Orthodox, Catholic, or one of those Central-European countries with a whole bunch of religions and a nasty history

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?srch=religion-Eastern_Orthodox__14

edit: :toot:
http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?c=8698&Fyodor_Dostoevsky_robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

I love how John Belushi counts because of that one appearance in Marvel Team-Up.