Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rain totals and property destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my folks retired to wlimington area and very luckily are back home in michigan this entire week so they're basically just watching and waiting

trying to figure out if i should intensify my climate evangelism from like 40% to 65% or so and maybe they can divest themselve sof the house before it washes out to sea

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What do they have to worry about? Instead of helping cancer patients or educating the future, I'm still subsidizing their loving flood insurance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

What do they have to worry about? Instead of helping cancer patients or educating the future, I'm still subsidizing their loving flood insurance.

Things like the second beach vacation home would basically be cost ineffective to insure if it wasn't for the federal subsidy for high risk areas.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's their actual home up the basin across the bridge not some beach bullshit sorry I guess my wording might have implied elsewise, they only have one house

Also yeah what's flood insurance precious lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the fun part of filing claims after a hurricane is they'll say the flood damage is from wind and the wind damage is from flooding

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a lotta people who don’t evacuate do so because they wanna be there to deal with storm damage as it happens

stuff like sandbagging their doors if water approaches and stretching tarp over broken windows and deshingled parts of the roof and shooting any black people they see

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the fun part of filing claims after a hurricane is they'll say the flood damage is from wind and the wind damage is from flooding

They did that with my mother's drive thru convenience store after one of the south Florida hurricanes ripped off the roof. Simultaneously claimed that it was water damage and wind, refused to pay for any of it despite being covered for both. We never figured it out.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everything gone wrong

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/TheFringeNews/status/1041018313667764224?s=19

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

think of the property!!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the bitcoin of weed posted:

think of the property!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1040969237085347842

:thunkher:

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
more on people who choose to stay

quote:

With my collaborators MarYam Hamedani, Hazel Markus, Hilary Bergsieker and Liyam Eloul, I conducted a psychological study of Hurricane Katrina survivors and relief workers, as well as Americans who watched the disaster from afar. We found that outside observers — and even the relief workers providing aid — viewed those who evacuated as “self-reliant” and “hard-working,” while they denigrated those who stayed behind, calling them “lazy,” “negligent” and “stubborn.”

These characterizations, rooted in pervasive American attitudes of independence, presume everyone in harm’s way has a clear ability to leave when, in reality, many lack reliable transportation or the money for gas and a hotel room.

Countless people don’t have close friends or family to stay with outside the hurricane-threatened area, and others cannot take for granted having a job when they return in the days or weeks after the storm.

While it’s virtually impossible to untangle what precise percentage of residents stay because of material reasons as opposed to cultural ones, in our study the average annual income of people who stayed was only $19,500, and only 54 percent of “stayers” had a car, compared to 100 percent of those who left.

https://twitter.com/ClintSmithIII/status/1040637046367371267

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://twitter.com/NWSEastern/status/1040982851250995200

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

it turns out that in addition to pig poo poo, the most flood-able parts of NC contain coal mine tailing (lots of heavy metals) and superfund sites

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good thing Florence is just a tropical storm

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
category 2 inequality, which is basically nothing,

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tropical inequality because some beaches are just better sorry

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/poopclit/status/1040689009163489280

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

source looks legit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

someone is doing the blowing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i've got a plan to destroy america but it's going to involve shipping a lot of butterflies to mali

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/zacharylevine/status/1041019939329519617

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reality is farce

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

loving butterfly.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Who would win in a fight between Stayers vs Leavers?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

am I winning my toxx

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cactus posted:

Who would win in a fight between Stayers vs Leavers?

Slayers :black101:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

i've got a plan to destroy america but it's going to involve shipping a lot of butterflies to mali

I've been using free market ideology and artificial opiates

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've been using free market ideology and artificial opiates

that method works too but it causes much more collateral damage than an apocalyptic hypercane

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Florence should've hit the other side of the country.

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Sep 16, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

that method works too but it causes much more collateral damage than an apocalyptic hypercane

I know, but my grant app for weaponized prions was denied :(

Props to hypercanes though: the right shot may turn people off permanently from living in South Florida

In the Philippines, the picture remains murky. The top of Luzon last night got buzzed like God applied his power buffer to it. While there was a lot more damage, hurricane readiness has improved a lot apparently since the 7000 dead in that 2013 typhoon. Like with Flo though, the amount of rain dumped there continues to pile up complications. Another similarity to Flo is that the top of Luzon is apparently an agricultural hub, and damage to crops could have fairly serious local effects

This is also the 15th typhoon to hit the Philippines this season

Mangkhut meanwhile might go to big typhoon but is unlikely to ascend to super again

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bert Roberge posted:

Reading about India's critical water shortage I had a similar thought

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Jaelthebeloved/status/1041137435999170560

Guys! Why aren't we using bubbles?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Bert Roberge posted:

If only we could come together as a nation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

If only we could come together as a nation

we would but everyone in this country wants everyone else to die

we'd probably work together better if we balkanized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

i'm guessing it's MOSTLY because we didn't think ahead and lay hundreds of thousands of square miles of bubble pipes under the atlantic at a depth of 100 meters

also if that WAS "available technology", i'd be hella more optimistic about our chances of avoiding extinction, but lol