Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Philthy posted:

SCUM good :tutbutt:

SCUM seems like it would have greatly benefited from a small, closed, NDA restricted beta for like, another year. That game's map is sweet and the game has potential but as released it's just an early access mess, and there's already plenty of early access messes to waste your money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, you cannot afford to miss this. So the Tuk Tuk is incredibly fragile, like the durability is set absurdly low for reasons that makes zero sense to me given it's so slow and so easy to get shot out of, but whatever. Chocotaco was playing the last game of the night, so him and Boom were just driving around in Tuk Tuks and clowning around. Everything worked out to make for something very entertaining, and then Choco watched it back on the replay and it was great.

Full twitch link, 4h 59m 12s if the timestamp fails. This is the best way to watch. If not, here's two clips:

Clip 1

Clip 2

sometimes PUBG is excellent

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hellsau posted:

Okay, you cannot afford to miss this.

sometimes PUBG is excellent

The timing of the music to the second explosion is exquisite.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The cinematic nature of this dumb game and how it can accidentally turn into a action/comedy movie at any moment is 98% of the reason I still play.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
The practice range is interesting. I would of liked to seen targets that move at the speed of walking/running people on the various distances to practice leading. Also a better hit indicator, the steel spinners are nice but the silhouette targets will spin even if you hit the white missing the target. I don't know it just feels like a good concept with mediocre implementation.

I was practicing sniping and when I un-scoped I saw an arrow in my field of view. Switched to 3rd person view and saw that someone was using me as a pin cushion while I shot. I had about 20 arrows sticking out of me.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

ummm clearly the best thing about the practice range is hopping on a moped and being a moving target for everyone at the target range and just blasting your horn the whole time.

oh also the track loops and jumps are the best.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Penpal posted:

so much this

Also LOL at anyone thinking cod BR will have any staying power. Maybe on consoles, especially because PS4 only has fortnite?

PubG is like counter strike in that it kind of nailed down the game mechanics of the genre first, and will be around for a long rear end time. Especially with the way they've been updating it in the past six months, the game runs butter smooth and the netcode feels solid.

I have not run into a cheater that I can recall, either, for the longest time. Like, 6 months, or more.

I dunno I think the game is in a good place and seems to be getting better because the dev team seems to listen to what the playerbase is asking for.

Also it sucks if you don't live in a hugely populated corner of the world, but I wouldn't exactly blame the devs when each round requires 100 people. Move to Canada?

Hockles posted:

It's broken. You need to backspace the amount that appears by default, and then type in how much you want to drop.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Penpal posted:

Also LOL at anyone thinking cod BR will have any staying power. Maybe on consoles, especially because PS4 only has fortnite?

(Not saying I agree with their assessment, I just found today's comic topical. I think it's fairly safe to say the jury will be out until CoD BR is actually released.)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Blackout beta is available to all today!

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/22484222/prepare-for-blackout-with-the-next-call-of-duty-black-ops-4-pc-beta

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Greene is probably sad about the XBOX release. CoD BR may kill that off. At least he got 1.0 out before it came along.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anyone play Dying Light? Looks like they're doing a 12 man BR mode now. Can't wait to not play that.
(Is the game just a clone of Dead Island? It looks like a "zombie brawler" and I don't know how a BR mode would fit into that.)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/766370/Dying_Light_Bad_Blood

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Dying Light was made by the guys that made Dead Island, iirc they had been developing what was to be the sequel and the publisher pulled the rug out from under them and said that another dev was going to be making the sequel.

So techland released Dying Light to much acclaim while all that Dead Island 2 ever got was a pretty good trailer.

That trailer was back in 2014, in 2016 they parted ways with the dev who promptly went bankrupt, and found someone new, apparently the game is still being worked on.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Dying Light is Dead Island but not as bad. The first person parkour stuff is genuinely good, tho I felt like that game went on for 15 hours to long. And that's before the dlcs and other crap added over its long-supported life.

The BR stuff doesn't look great. I feel like a big part of the appeal of Pubg is the shenanigans, and this new thing is such a tight objective checklist that there's little room for gettin' weird. That's before you get into the mechanics of Dying light that maybe aren't the best for competitive pvp.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

people still read penny arcade? huh

Yeah the range is fun, I'm mostly using it to practice mag-dumping at moving targets in the 20-30 meter range.

yeah, uh, i'm going to go with "big woop" on this one

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
It seems that PUBG has been partially fixed? Haven't played in a month or two, fired this up last night and it runs much better than I remember on my I5-6600k and RX580, getting 100+FPS at all times pretty much. Gonna try out some COD BR for sure but I doubt it will capture my attention for long. I just enjoy the wacky poo poo that can happen in PUBG and I'm not seeing as much potential in COD, maybe i'm wrong though?

And god drat it's always a good laugh when someone thinks PUBG is gonna suddenly die off or something, gently caress they could lose half of their daily average CCU and still be completely fine. Yesterday peaked at 1.18 million, that is an absolutely insane concurrency number and many devs would kill to have a fraction of that playerbase.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
^I agree with you. The whole "dead game" thing because it's pulling in 1m+ peak concurrent rather than 3m peak concurrent is very tiresome.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Keep in mind that yesterday was the day after a major update with new guns, shooting range, etc. Of course it will have more people come back to check it out but who is to say it will keep them coming back.

We are also on the eve of this years game season with several big titles set to come out. It will effect PUBG numbers but its still up in the air on if that effect will be long lasting. Part of me thinks that many are bored with the game and just waiting for something new to come along and another part thinks the new games are trying to emulate the BR experience only driving people to think its not as good and return to PUBG.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

^I agree with you. The whole "dead game" thing because it's pulling in 1m+ peak concurrent rather than 3m peak concurrent is very tiresome.

But are you counting China?

Also Blerps 4 is p.fun.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

But are you counting China?

Also Blerps 4 is p.fun.

I have no idea if I am or not. It's steam stats. Is everyone from China launching via steam?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have no idea if I am or not. It's steam stats. Is everyone from China launching via steam?

no, chinese players have a different client and are not counted in steam stats

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

flatluigi posted:

no, chinese players have a different client and are not counted in steam stats

they are counted for pubg

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Penpal posted:

people still read penny arcade? huh

Penny Arcade Expo is apparently a big deal now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PUBG was on Steam exclusively for quite a long time. Eventually they came to a Chinese and a Russian store platform, but the grand majority are still on Steam. Just an FYI.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Actually, 72% of the PUBG steam purchases in China were banned for hacking. They really don't count for much at this time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Chair In A Basket posted:

Actually, 72% of the PUBG steam purchases in China were banned for hacking. They really don't count for much at this time.

But the peaks of roughly 1 million players is at 10AM EST, which is Chinese prime time. On the flip side, we're seeing the lowest amount of players at 8PM EST at around 180K.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
there's 754,609 online rn according to steam stats

are we into china time?

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

wait wait, blizzard makes call of duty now ???

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Salean posted:

wait wait, blizzard makes call of duty now ???

Yeap.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cheating is still a pretty decent problem in PUBG in late 2018. Still a super fun game though. Wish it ran better on my lovely old CPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aQpYrfIBQ&t=240s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le8lhmMrvAY

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/9fgag0/why_is_this_still_a_thing_come_on_bh/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/9ezlh5/something_is_seriously_fucked_with_pubgs_anticheat/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/9e790d/big_uptick_in_hackers_in_na/

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

AndyElusive posted:

Penny Arcade Expo is apparently a big deal now.

oh yeah for real PAX is a thing and the second E3 or whatever, but I haven't heard of anyone actually mentioning the content of the comic or the mile long blog posts accompanying them in the longest fucken time

I don't think people go to PAX for Penny-Arcade, they go because of videogame trailers and demos and poo poo

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

My favorite rationale for cheaters comment showed up!:

"They cheat for profit. Cheating allows them to earn more BP, crates, items, etc. Then they sell the items and crates on the Steam market. The price of PUBG is $14 or $15 in China. So if a Chinese cheater can earn more than $15 before getting banned, they repurchase the game, and they are still in profit. Getting banned is just a business expense."

Yes, they are putting in ~25 hours a week to earn one steam buck.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This is pretty bad for a Friday night prime time.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yes, they are putting in ~25 hours a week to earn one steam buck.

I think you might underestimate things like how poor some parts of China are, and how easy it is to multi-box.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yeah. Doc, Shroud, Viss, Choco and all the other guys who play PUBG a bunch have switched to COD.

I wonder how much Twitch dudes influence the overall player base. Are all the kids gonna switch to COD because their favorite streamers did?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Most of the big PUBG streamers were doing sponsored streams of Blackout, but even if they weren't being paid they would be playing Blackout because A) it's fun B) it's new and presumably people wanna see it and C) a bunch of them have a tournament they need to practice for which they're presumably being paid to play in, which I guess is just another form of sponsorship.

Seriously though Blackout has a bunch of problems, but they're fixable problems, and the game is pretty fun. It's nice being able to hear footsteps without being deafened by every other sound.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Blackout looks well executed and at about the right level of serious:arcadey that the BR genre had been missing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think you might underestimate things like how poor some parts of China are, and how easy it is to multi-box.

It's almost as if when a super popular new game comes out in beta at the same (limited) time everyone wants to play it at the same time.

And yes, all those poor Chinese are multi boxing and buying multiple copies of PUBG in order to rake in ~$50/yr in steam bucks. Crates are worthless and there are weekly limits on them. They are also random, and only 30% of them are worth 20-60 cents. This whole "cheating to profit on crates and skins" is a broke rear end argument.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Boy, it's frustrating to try and get a game right now. Either myself or my duo partner never load in, or we queue up and matchmaking just hangs and we have to ready up again.

We're getting a clean matchmaking and loading about 1/3 of the time.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I thought the theory on Chinese hacking was because the gaming cafes just loaded the cheats up for their customers. Paying customers want to win, so why not load up cheats and buy another copy of the game if something happens?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's almost as if when a super popular new game comes out in beta at the same (limited) time everyone wants to play it at the same time.

And yes, all those poor Chinese are multi boxing and buying multiple copies of PUBG in order to rake in ~$50/yr in steam bucks. Crates are worthless and there are weekly limits on them. They are also random, and only 30% of them are worth 20-60 cents. This whole "cheating to profit on crates and skins" is a broke rear end argument.

I think the whole "hackers trying to make a profit with crates" is an echo of that time where there were, no poo poo, 10-40 AFKs in every game on NA because crates were actually worth bothering with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of the whole hackers thing. We were killed by this guy in NA FPP tonight...

https://pubg.op.gg/user/KnocksYou?server=pc-na

Either literally the best PUBG player in the world who should be making big money on a pro team, or a blatant cheater...