Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

:eyepop: If I was one of those guys hanging on the wall......

At least the dozer landed upright. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I watch too many cartoons, my first thought is that poor crane.

What do they do with busted construction equipment? Seems like you could probably replace the non-broken parts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What do they do with busted construction equipment? Seems like you could probably replace the non-broken parts.

Call up your dealer and say "I don't know what happened. Is this covered under the maintenance contract?"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Depends on how much non broken poo poo there is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Haul it back to the shop, use any individual still-good components as replacements for your other equipment.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Use them as backfill for the janky-rear end hole you're digging.

I'm also amazed by the lack of response by the guys in the pit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Can you guys not post massive images?

1500x1700 is pretty darn big for an embedded video clip.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
[timg] is a thing y'all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[timg] is a thing y'all.

It doesn't work on imbedded gifv or mp4 videos

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_kqYNam5GE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Splicer posted:

Am I seeing right and the earthmover caught on one of the metal bars?

You can see a bit of movement before it hits the bar and it's swinging to the left. Cranes are often less stable when hoisting over the side, so I'm guessing the bulldozer was far too heavy for it to safely lift and putting the weight distribution so far to the left caused it to tip.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The guy in dark clothes getting wayyy to fuckin close to the edge at the end to peer down at the carnage is like a little OSHA dessert

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

spog posted:

what, you don't like video clips larger than your screen?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I didn't even do anything to make it display like that, I literally just pasted the link into the textarea and mashed post, no tags or anything. They don't call these forums something awful for nothing!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

You can see a bit of movement before it hits the bar and it's swinging to the left. Cranes are often less stable when hoisting over the side, so I'm guessing the bulldozer was far too heavy for it to safely lift and putting the weight distribution so far to the left caused it to tip.

I'm going to guess the earthmover's blade getting hung up on that iron rod sticking out of the wall of the pit that did it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Never be the smallest guy in an aircraft maintenance operation.

It's either that or the ball turret

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Reminds me of this...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm going to guess the earthmover's blade getting hung up on that iron rod sticking out of the wall of the pit that did it.

You’d be surprised and terrified by how many crane operators (especially outside the United States) don’t really know the exact weight of what they’re lifting or how to not tip the crane.

We had some students recently who were old, experienced operators who had never once seen a load chart in their lives. And we had someone complain about how he thought anyone with over 10 years’ experience should be grandfathered into certification because it’s just so inconvenient that he’s failed the tests 3 times and he knows better!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The problem is that for every twenty "I know better than what the books or the manufacturer or the gubmint says" guys, there's one old dude who is actually some kind of a savant and has independently figured out all of the right answers and techniques and developed a sixth sense for how much load you can put on the crane or whatever, and all of the incompetent people point at him as an example of why they also shouldn't have to do any training or testing.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

man autistic people ruin everything

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is the part of the "very special episode" where everyone hears a big crash and they run over to find the old hand crawling out of the crane wreckage. Everyone asks what happened and he says "I don't know, I guess that load was just too heavy. I thought I had it under control." Then the whippersnapper with the college degree says "This is why we have load charts. If you had just learned how to use it, this would have never happened."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like, take that project to redefine the kilogram by making the world's most perfect silicon sphere. The standard they were shooting for was the equivalent of a ball the size of the Earth that was out of round by less than 6 inches. They hired the world's best lensmakers to work on the grinding and polishing over several years, and apparently one of the guys was so good that he could just look at the in-progress sphere, already the roundest object ever created by humans, for a few minutes and point out where on the surface it still had to be reshaped -- and after verification with a laser interferometer, he'd always turn out to be right.

So there's that guy, and then there's a hundred lazy lens makers in Germany loving up people's eyes and going "Hans just grinds these things by feel, I've worked here as long as he has, I don't need to use the computer either"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*note that the sphere is no longer the roundest object after a team of scientists last year encountered and measured Your Mom

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drgitlin posted:

Stuff like this (and stupid speed limits, and calling peppers capsicums) is why I’m racist about Australians. A secret I keep from my Australian relatives (or rellies, in Aus-speak).

All entirely fair.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

*note that the sphere is no longer the roundest object after a team of scientists last year encountered and measured Your Mom

It also probably won't be the new kilogram because the watt balance approach is way cheaper to reproduce and doesn't rely on creating a physical artifact, the very reason why the kilogram needs redefining in the first place.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Sagebrush posted:

Ahahaha nice

And scientists are now using this iceburn as a benchmark for Kelvin

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

The problem is that for every twenty "I know better than what the books or the manufacturer or the gubmint says" guys, there's one old dude who is actually some kind of a savant and has independently figured out all of the right answers and techniques and developed a sixth sense for how much load you can put on the crane or whatever, and all of the incompetent people point at him as an example of why they also shouldn't have to do any training or testing.

They are just as bad: they do it the same way for 20 years and don't listen to engineers who warn them that you shouldn't do X anymore as they have been doing X for 20 years without a problem and they end up dropping a building on someone's head, or fly a 747 into a mountain.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Just noticed NTSB has had a few press-conferences on the Lawrence pipeline explosion. Not much news.

So have this video they made on the San Bruno accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4B7DYVL2g

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It also probably won't be the new kilogram because the watt balance approach is way cheaper to reproduce and doesn't rely on creating a physical artifact, the very reason why the kilogram needs redefining in the first place.

both methods rely on creating a physical artifact -- one way you need to create a perfect silicon sphere, the other way you need to create an extremely precise piece of electrical machinery. Doing either one to the required precision is only really achievable by major research institutions. The point is that you'll be able to create the artifact from scratch without reference to anything other than the mathematical definition (radius of sphere or voltage in the balance), so anyone with the resources can do it at any time. Creating a kilogram standard right now requires that you have the original kilogram from Paris to compare against yours.

Anyway, the major reason that both approaches were followed was to allow them to cross-check each other. The watt balance defines the kilogram in terms of voltage, which is in turn defined by frequency, which is defined by the second, while the sphere defines the kilogram in terms of length (radius), which is defined by the speed of light, which is also defined by the second. If you approach the definition from two different paths like that and find that they both agree in the end, you have more confidence that your numbers are correct than if you just used one.

:science:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The speed of light is also dependent on the second. You're just going in different directions from the same starting point.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISNGimMXL7M

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cojawfee posted:

The speed of light is also dependent on the second. You're just going in different directions from the same starting point.

So? The second is already clearly defined (9,192,631,770 cycles of a Caesium atomic clock).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I thought 1 ton was a perfect 1 meter cube of pure water? So 1 kilo would be 0.1% of that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ak Gara posted:

I thought 1 ton was a perfect 1 meter cube of pure water? So 1 kilo would be 0.1% of that?

Water is too good a solvent. Getting it pure to the precision of the prototype kilogram is problematic.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

That's a nice approximation but SI only defines the kilogram, the meter, the second, the kelvin, the mole, the ampere, and the candela. Everything else is derived. The kg is the mass of a platinum-iridium bar in Paris that almost certainly isn't the same size it was when it was put there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

What is "water?" Is it the water from the ocean? From your tap? From the rain?

Okay, let's say fresh water with no other chemicals in it. It will be extremely difficult to purify water to the parts per trillion that we'd need to use it as a reference standard, but let's say that we can do it with a national lab's resources. We store it in an iridium flask under vacuum to prevent it from absorbing atmospheric gases or miscellaneous compounds from the container. What temperature are we talking about? Water expands and contracts with the temperature, and that will change its volume for a given mass.

okay, we'll develop a system to keep our test mass of water at exactly 293.150000K, somehow. What is the isotopic composition of our pure, temperature-controlled water? Hydrogen has three different isotopes, and oxygen has several more, all of which occur on Earth at different abundances. They all weigh different amounts. Now we have to develop a whole process for purifying the water isotopically, like we do with nuclear fuel.

Okay, we finally have our isotopically pure, temperature-controlled sample. How do we make it into a block that we can measure? Remember, we are trying to define the mass by the size of this volume of water, not the other way around. We can't put it in a jar, because then we're just measuring how well we can make a jar. Maybe we could levitate the water in a magnetic field and have it form a sphere? We'll have to keep it in the bottom of a salt mine or something in order to eliminate vibrations that would perturbed the surface of our sphere of water and ruin our measurements.

Maybe we could freeze it and mill it into a block? That seems pretty reasonable. So let's do that. But why are we doing it with water? Couldn't we do this with a single element, so we don't have to worry about purifying two of them? One that's solid at room temperature for easy handling? And maybe we can pick one that we already have the technology for purifying. the semiconductor industry has mature processes for growing isotopically pure, single-crystal chunks of silicon that they need to make computer chips. Why don't we just repurpose that technology?

And that's how we got to where we are.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 16, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I get that the SI unit defined the ampere as a base unit because in 1893 people knew about electric current but the electron hadn't yet been properly discovered and characterized (until J. J. Thomson's experiments in 1896) but the coulomb makes more sense as a base unit especially now that the ampere is being redefined in terms of elementary charge

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spog posted:

Here you go:

Elysiume posted:

pre:
// ==UserScript==
// @name                  shorter videos
// @namespace       https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description        asdf
// @include               https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant                  GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 522px; } ");

Set the max-height to whatever you want, put it into Violent Monkey and it's good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Keep watching...

https://i.imgur.com/iOpUEh0.mp4