Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah several of the ppl involved work there and they record up in the offices

I myself am located in brighton somewhere. How's the knight moves dnd game?

It’s fun, mostly AL hardcover play with some homebrew stuff when we get bored. Just started dragon heist. We’re running into a capacity issue though where we had nine players and one DM last week, need to split into two tables. It’s not a huge space but the game moved to Monday nights so the place is less crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

One of the questions is basically "are you an edgelord rear end in a top hat?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doctor 7 posted:

Well to be exact it's more how much is being an edgelord rear end in a top hat important to you.

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay what the hell is going on with this chart:

A whole bunch of questionable statistics and poor data.

https://imgur.com/gallery/L1kNu posted:

For my data sources, I’m drawing on Amazon Novel Rank, Roll20’s Quarterly Games Data, ICv2 Top 5 RPG Surveys, and Morrus’ RPG Zeitgeist data.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well to be exact it's more how much is being an edgelord rear end in a top hat important to you.
I remember the WotC made online alignment test back in 4th ed, and it was hilarious how skewed context could make the results.

"gently caress the police! No gods no kings! :black101: What? Yeah I guess I like my hometown and would do stupid tasks for them." Lawful good.

"Eh, why rock the boat you know? Just be a decent, selfless hero... Oh, he grew up in Luskan (not specified in test) so who cares if my home town full of assholes burns down?" Chaotic rear end in a top hat.

Like, I forget the broad multi edition lore of the place. But I remember 4th ed mentioning there was a floating island that drips acid just sort of looming over the place so probably not the best neighborhood.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 16, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The level to which the test creator has to outsmart your intuitions and biases makes it insanely hard to build questions, whether for market research or silly personality tests.

Like even Myers-Briggs is just a much better disguised version of one dimensional personality tests where it's all "How do you defeat your foes?"

Huh, I wonder how it will weigh "I stabbed them in the back before the fight started and used my bonus action to hide"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The level to which the test creator has to outsmart your intuitions and biases makes it insanely hard to build questions, whether for market research or silly personality tests.

Isn't the point of market research to figure out how to appeal to people's intuitions and biases? Why would you need to outsmart them?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Huh, the "what editions have you played" pictures feature a blurred out 4e PHB with a ? on it for the "other" category. I wonder if that's because the branding on that edition was clean and obvious?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Missing Fox posted:

A whole bunch of questionable statistics and poor data.

lmao what a disingenuous mess

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I know a lot of folks itt hate 5e but I'm playing some Pathfinder tonight for the first time this year and it makes me love 5e every time the GM, who's played Pathfinder for years, has to consult the rulebook.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Imagined posted:

I know a lot of folks itt hate 5e but I'm playing some Pathfinder tonight for the first time this year and it makes me love 5e every time the GM, who's played Pathfinder for years, has to consult the rulebook.

I mean, yeah I poo poo on 5e a lot but you are not wrong.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Isn't the point of market research to figure out how to appeal to people's intuitions and biases? Why would you need to outsmart them?

I probably didn't express it super well but what I'm trying to get at is you're telling them less about yourself and more about your self-image. People frequently don't know what they want. A while back I brought up that thing about how people on roll20 will overstate their desire for heavy rp and character development because they're lead to believe that's how you're supposed to want to play.

(There's obviously nothing wrong with wanting that. Just some people looking for a more casual beer and dice experience stop being honest with themselves about what they want because they get so defensive about whether they're murder-hobos. Their idea of what they want gets distorted and they stop being able to represent it honestly.)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

inthesto posted:

So okay, I'm dead set on the hobgoblin who didn't realize "Modern Major General" was a joke.

The question is: How do I preserve the typical hobgoblin culture that's actually quite good at military things, while also putting on airs about being a pompous idiot, because that's what the hobgoblin believes the "civilized" races do?

Basically, I'm asking how to pretend to be incompetent when you're actually competent.

these other posters were overthinking it

just have him be super competent at the stuff he actually does, like swording and dungeoneering

then have him continually make up grandiose geopolitical-scale schemes that he, as an evil humanoid murderhobo, will never be in a position to implement

like Alexander the Great if his dad hadn't already been a king

guy running around with a 500-point plan to drain the Inner Sea for lebensraum that he won't shut up about

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I am the very model of a true Hobgoblin General
I’ve information historical, magic and alchemical

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Wrestlepig posted:

I am the very model of a true Hobgoblin General
I’ve information historical, magic and alchemical

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I know the tribal chieftains, and when I consult the oracles
I present my sacrifices, to whit kobold, goblin, orc and all

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm very well acquainted, too, with class warfare and wherewithal,
With fighters who are linear while wizards are quadratical.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I know the names of beings both abyssal and celestial,
I am the very model of a true hobgoblin general.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I guess you now have your theme song that he'll sing loudly while in combat.

You could also do a real time narration of all your attacks in character because he thinks an honorable general should be sporting and give the other side a chance to win. Plus it would demonstrate how superior he is that even with perfect intel, the enemy cannot stand against your might.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dameius posted:

I guess you now have your theme song that he'll sing loudly while in combat.

Do the whole thing with the cadence of Killer Bee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWyUs_WaCs

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone recommend a podcast or show or whatever with a good feywild campaign that isn't Critical Role?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FRINGE posted:

Wow that's some awful anime.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

FRINGE posted:

Do not listen to this person.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

awful anime

Redundant but true.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

doctor 7 posted:

Which one, the one that was originally screen shotted?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Mate's running a one shot at 16th level, anyone got fun ideas for characters that aren't based around summons/skeletons?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Multiclass into everything.

Then write a backstory to justify it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cassa posted:

Mate's running a one shot at 16th level, anyone got fun ideas for characters that aren't based around summons/skeletons?

Paladins are really fun at high levels since you've got the number of spells and spell slots available to have diverse abilities combined with divine punching power, and have the saves required to deal with the high DCs you run at higher levels. The Sacred Oath feature is at level 15th so you could dip a level of Hexblade and still get it.

Monks also hit something of a sweet spot around this point, with having a ki pool large enough to freely use their abilities between short rests rather than conserving resources, and also proficiency in all saves being good for the reason mentioned above. Long Death have their 11th level ability so they never die.

Speaking of never dying, Zealot Barbarians have Rage beyond Death at level 14. The class is otherwise very one-dimensional but hey, it's a one-shot.

Wizards are Wizards. 16th is just shy of Wish but they can still do a ton of dumb poo poo, too long to list and more an inherent part of being Wizard than a particular character concept.

What magic items/rarity are you allowed? I assume you're allowed magic items.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cassa posted:

Are you open to using your high level character wealth to hire peasants to PRETEND to be your skeleton army?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's more that summons/skeletons are super neat but make the game too 'everyone take 30 while I move my whole army'.

We've got a Very Rare, Rare and two Uncommon magic items, starting money + 5750GP.

My first attempt was a Triton Paladin with Oath of the Conquest, Belt of Fire Giant Strength, Cloak of Displacement, +1 Weapon and Lantern of Revealing.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Multiclass into everything.

Then write a backstory to justify it.
This is an application I once got for a mid-paragon 4e game I'm running.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Holy poo poo the red flags are off the charts.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Crotch posted:

How bad was the linked YT video? And how did they respond to you (I assume) politely rejecting their app?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

How bad was the linked YT video? And how did they respond to you (I assume) politely rejecting their app?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOh6CDUpfcY

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

The Crotch posted:

I'm reading this like "what the gently caress is this person on," then I look up at the username. Yup, sounds about right.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cassa posted:

It's more that summons/skeletons are super neat but make the game too 'everyone take 30 while I move my whole army'.
That's a fair point.

The Crotch posted:

Ah yes. The traditional escapist fantasy of... saying that humans are garbage. Except even more baffling than usual.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NGDBSS posted:

I was too shocked to respond.

CeallaSo posted:

I'm reading this like "what the gently caress is this person on," then I look up at the username. Yup, sounds about right.
I read the name first, so I was genuinely relieved when the application turned out to be poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man that was amazing bad. His character would have sucked too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Crotch posted:

See, this was more what I had in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCIh_3b5K8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cassa posted:

We've got a Very Rare, Rare and two Uncommon magic items, starting money + 5750GP.

My first attempt was a Triton Paladin with Oath of the Conquest, Belt of Fire Giant Strength, Cloak of Displacement, +1 Weapon and Lantern of Revealing.

Variant Human 15 10 14 8 10 16
1. Polearm Master
4. War Caster
8. CHA+2
12. CHA+2

Paladin 15 / Hexblade 1
Devotion or Vengeance
Dueling Fighting Style
Take Booming Blade cantrip, Shield spell from Hexblade, everything else up to preference

Very Rare: Staff of Power (attunement)
Rare: Silver Dragon Shield +2
Uncommon 1: Winged Boots (attunement)
Uncommon 2: freebie

Good AC, great damage, great saves, great reaction attacks through Booming Blade and Improved Divine Smite, lots of spells from the Staff of Power at quite high DC, you can fly.