Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
My only life goals are to get high and pet cats.

Edit: jfc what a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
amazing how fast that got around

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Butters :3:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can't quite tell from the gif -- is Butters a "terror! must escape soft prison!" cat or a "oh well, this is my life now" cat when he gets covered by a blanket?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

I can't quite tell from the gif -- is Butters a "terror! must escape soft prison!" cat or a "oh well, this is my life now" cat when he gets covered by a blanket?

OR is he a "snuggly, climb on in and sleep for hours" cat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

OR is he a "snuggly, climb on in and sleep for hours" cat.

Bingo. The look of buttery consternation on his face is most likely due to the fact that I dared to uncover him.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
Butters!

My fat orange cat does that too. He will specifically crawl into the duvet cover and sleep for hours.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Chili posted:

Bingo. The look of buttery consternation on his face is most likely due to the fact that I dared to uncover him.

Commence Operation Dutch Oven!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
One (probably final) update on the kitten and cat introduction story.

(After this shot, Evil Gizmo licked the kitten's toes. Thank you all for your help in making this adoption go smoothly!)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

(After this shot, Evil Gizmo licked the kitten's toes. Thank you all for your help in making this adoption go smoothly!)

:neckbeard:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Look at these two :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

this sort of result makes all the effort worth it :3:

well done on your catpals

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1032727988541050882

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1032728676608172034

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Edit: no longer relevant

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 30, 2018

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy
So I just got a new foster kitten that was part of a small colony. She's skittish when I go towards her even slowly but will sleep like 2 feet from me and screams when I leave the quarantine room. What should I be doing to socialize her better? My previous fosters were kittens from a litter that other fosters had so they were already social with humans. What do?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMchna posted:

So I just got a new foster kitten that was part of a small colony. She's skittish when I go towards her even slowly but will sleep like 2 feet from me and screams when I leave the quarantine room. What should I be doing to socialize her better? My previous fosters were kittens from a litter that other fosters had so they were already social with humans. What do?

Is she by herself? Kittens are assholes, get two.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is actually sounding like the next step for our foster.

About two months ago, she started peeing and pooping *everywhere* when we were doing some travelling. Apparently she gets really anxious when her environment changes. (She was originally surrendered because she started doing this in response to a move and a reno). Anyway, we took her back to the shelter while we finished our summer travels, and have tried to foster her again this week. Unfortunately she's gone outside the litterbox more than in. She's also been through two foster homes before us, and had the same issues.

On the advice of the shelter, we've been trying calming cat hormones (feliway), calming cat supplements (nutricalm), and there is a possible option to put her on SSRIs. We're also trying putting her in a cage while we're out during the day (also on the advice of our foster coordinator), but this is pretty heartbreaking, plus she happily poops/pees when our backs are turned anyway. We also can't really keep living with all of our furniture and rugs either packed away or covered with pee pads.

She's a super cuddly, human-friendly cat, but it really seems like the solution is going to be an outdoor shelter, and/or becoming a barn cat. She just doesn't seem fit for human habitation. Fortunately, it sounds like the shelter has connections and this is a possibility.

We're feeling pretty down about it all, though.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Found a dog today. Completely on accident. I'm not in any way, shape or form in a good position to foster, but I have a question after the brief story.

I literally found the dog at the bottom of a canyon off of the middle of a mountain road. The only reason I stopped was because it was so windy I needed to puke, even while driving myself. I heard the dog growling from the side of the road and decided to investigate. The poor dude was several yards down, surrounded by discarded trash and extremely unhappy.

I spent hours trying to get help, on the phone with various shelters and counties, all while getting cut off because of poor cell reception in the middle of the mountains. I should mention this is in SoCal, so it's hot and part of it was on fire recently. The best help I got was hours after finding the dog being told that a service officer would be dispatched to see if I was 'in their jurisdiction'. It took them entirely too long to respond to me so I climbed down the hill and got the dog myself. Ultimately I was told that they 'suspected I was in X County' (after being turned away by said county for not being in their territory) and therefore was not getting help, but this was after I managed to get the puppers safely into the car.

He's a puppy. Not fixed, and with a lame back leg and several skin injuries on his paws. I had to approach him slowly because he was absolutely terrified, stuck behind a bunch of branches and unwilling to move. I ended up lugging a blanket down from my car, laying it out and breaking the branches out of the way for him to come crawling out, immediately affectionate and super accepting of water.

I managed to coax him without a leash up to the highway, where he was absolutely terrified and refused to move, so I carried him into the car. He was a very Good Boy and didn't mess up my car at all on the ride to a shelter I trust.

Now, the shelter I turned him into was extremely aggressive in their questioning, and seemed convinced that I was here to abandon the dog. I told them my story a couple times and they took him in, but despite them being a no-kill shelter with only 10 dogs up for adoption right now (They have room for much more in my experience at this facility) they told me they would be 'conducting an investigation to ensure' that I have no association with the dog, just because I live in another city. They kept asking me why I was where I found him in the first place and overall were very suspicious of my behavior, which was a huge turn-off for me. They also told me if he was deemed unadoptable he would be euthanized, which I know is generally the deal but as I said before this is a well known no-kill shelter.

I think they were trying to scare me into taking him back? I have no idea what they were trying to do, threatening officers to come to my apartment as part of the investigation. Do you guys have experience with shelters doing this? Why were they so suspicious of me being in their area? It felt like they were trying to instill a magic rule where I was not allowed to visit the cities they care for, which is super weird to me.

I really hope they don't euth him just for his lame leg, that would be a huge dick move and not really in line with the shelter's history as I've known it. Even if he is euth'd it won't be starving/overheating to death at the bottom of a canyon, in a spot that someone clearly meant for him not to be found. I'm mostly concerned about how aggressive one lady especially was about me knowing that there's a huge fine for abandonment and that she totally wasn't buying my story.

Which is hilarious because I walked into their shelter covered in dirt and foxtails in my shoes, socks and pants from retrieving the pup. I mean...what?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 14, 2018

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
That totally sucks.

I understand, because the shelter we fostered with got all kinds of unbelievable stories and they generally ended up growing an unfortunate, yet totally understandable, level of cynicism about people and how they treat animals.

Doesn't make it right, and I wish you were treated better. Long story short, they won't take it out on the dog. They won't euth him just because they think you're an rear end in a top hat. In the end, that's what matters the most, but it still would've been nice if you were treated better.

Regardless, rest easy knowing you did literally everything you could for that good boy, and I, and I'm sure everyone else in this thread appreciates you!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

She's a super cuddly, human-friendly cat, but it really seems like the solution is going to be an outdoor shelter, and/or becoming a barn cat. She just doesn't seem fit for human habitation. Fortunately, it sounds like the shelter has connections and this is a possibility.

We're feeling pretty down about it all, though.

Gotta remember, cats are just BARELY domesticated if domesticated at all. It's definitely a downer, but you're doing what you can. Litterbox issues can sometimes just be plain unsolvable. I'm totally resigned to that. The only solution we found that worked in our house had nothing to do with the cats themselves and just limiting their space to where we've resigned to accept that they will just do their things. It's a toughie, that's for sure, but if the cat can find a good set up, where they can exist happily, then hey, can't ask for much more.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

DeusExMchna posted:

Cythereal posted:

Most shelters don't typically foster out kittens from different litters.

Of course, it's the right advice, because the absolute hardest foster situation is one kitten, by themselves. They require a ton of stimulation not just to socialize properly but just to survive. The best thing you can do is just spend as much time as you possibly can in there. Take some interest in cat toys/treats and see if your interest spreads to her etc. Fostering solo kitties is tough. Hang in there!

Edit:

Also, I know it would be cruel for me to post three times in-a-row and not share some butter:

I went over to take a picture of him and he did his awful "i'm gonna get up and make it impossible to get a good shot" thing. Fortunately, that didn't use to be an option when getting up meant exerting himself to an unreasonable degree.

But still:

Skinny boi

So majestic

Chili fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 14, 2018

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

She's our only foster but we have 4 cats of our own. Once she was cleared to interact with them I introduced her to our 'dadcat' and she got the hint immediately! She chirps and runs towards me with her tail up when I enter the room and she likes snuggles!

Chili posted:

Most shelters don't typically foster out kittens from different litters.

Of course, it's the right advice, because the absolute hardest foster situation is one kitten, by themselves. They require a ton of stimulation not just to socialize properly but just to survive. The best thing you can do is just spend as much time as you possibly can in there. Take some interest in cat toys/treats and see if your interest spreads to her etc. Fostering solo kitties is tough. Hang in there!

My office happens to be the kitty quarantine room so shes sleeping right next to me at the moment! I've been playing with her (she is a FAN of the laser pointer and a roll of washi tape) :3

and now for some Cat Tax!

I've named her Anastasia, or Anya for short~

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chili posted:

Skinny boi

So majestic

DeusExMchna posted:

I've named her Anastasia, or Anya for short~

Cat taaax!

Thanks for the words, Chili. I guess my story does sound pretty out-there and suspicious to someone who has been there for a while, and it's not like there's any way they can tell that I'm legit. I can only hope he can get some care and find a good home.

For now, I will live vicariously through you guys and your adorable cats.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*feels that portal opening feeling again*

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

*feels that portal opening feeling again*

Oh no

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Chili posted:

Skinny boi

What did you do with Butterscotch? :ninja:

EDIT: THE MYSTERY DEEPENS

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1040709577766002689

EDIT EDIT: :toot:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1040912557006102529

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 15, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Chaosfeather posted:

... I'm mostly concerned about how aggressive one lady especially was about me knowing that there's a huge fine for abandonment and that she totally wasn't buying my story.

Did she literally say this? :pwn:

I would have handled that...poorly.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did she literally say this? :pwn:

I would have handled that...poorly.

With the legal threats and tone, she didn’t say “I’m not buying it’ in so few words, but made it clear that she thought I was abandoning the dog and not that I found the dog in a bush by coincidence. She made it very clear she’d be sending police to my neighborhood to investigate me and question my neighbors about if I have ‘any association with this animal.’ She also made it clear that she wasn’t convinced that I was simply in the area to be in the area, because evidently I need a reason to drive on public streets and highways.

So no. Not exact words, but it was a pretty close translation, I feel.

Pupdate: I called yesterday and they had him in at the vet and gave him a name at the shelter, so I'm hopeful that they won't deem him unadoptable and euth him. They had him listed as a 'lab mix' which I find hilarious, as he's very clearly a pit, but I understand if it's for legal reasons.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 15, 2018

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
hi I was redirected here from the general cat thread. I'm visiting my folks in rural MN, and a barn cat seems to have abandoned a kitten. Mama is nowhere to be seen, and the other two littermates we found are already dead. So I'm going to be babying it 24/7 (I'm just doing remote freelancing/looking for jobs, so I can afford to). No access to vet or specialty cat supplies for now, but I have an Amazon order for Monday. I have plenty of cat experience but not kittens. Here is what worries me:

a.) Found the cat around six hours ago and haven't been able to get it to eat much. It had a bit of evaporated milk from a pipette but nothing since. It seems to be around a month old, so also tried a bit of wet food / wet food soaked in milk - no dice. Any tricks to get kitty to eat? Or should I just wait it out and trust kitty to eat when it's hungry?
b.) Similarly, the internet says rubbing its butt and abdomen with a cotton swab should make it pee and poop, but nothing yet.
c.) Kitten is trembling a lot. But this could just be stress?

Anyway I have it in a nice warm spot so that's one thing it's not hurting for. Any advice appreciated. Here is picture tax of Jupiter:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Try stimulating the baby's butt and belly with a warm, damp washcloth instead of a cotton swab, but it looks large enough that it may need a small litter box to use on its own instead. As for feeding, get some KMR for older kittens and a bottle or small oral syringe (which you should be able to get free by asking any pharmacy). If it feels really thin and underfed, start with offering warmed food every ~3 hours. There should be a recipe for fattening formula in the OP from me and my wife. Offer kitten chow all the time so the baby can eat whenever it finds the food interesting. If you have regular wet food, a portion of that once a day should work too. Try and connect with a local rescue or TNR group -- they might be able to get you free or low cost vet visits whether you plan on keeping the furball or adopting it out. Kittens over 2 pounds/1kg can be spayed/neutered at which point they're adoptable.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions or if you need help finding local resources. I get email notifs for PMs and try to reply fast.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Adorable kitty :3:

The recipe from the OP:

quote:

I'll leave you all with the recipe we use to help with healthy weight gain. This makes a batch fit for an empty pasta sauce jar.

1/2 cup KMR
1 cup water
1 can A&D wet food
2 egg yolks
You can also add a spoonful of baby food, but not all kittens like it.

Place all ingredients in jar, using funnel not to spill the KMR, and mix with fork to get the worst lumps out. Put lid on jar and shake like hell. There will be lumps still, but with time they dissolve. Syringe feed every 3-6 hours, depending on size and health. Scale to fit containers you have as long as the water : KMR ratio remains 2 : 1.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
As per usual, I see a post that needs a response and before I get to it, someone else does perfectly. Lzr is right on the money. Kmr, and good simulation.

And just as a heads up. I don't want to discourage you or get you worried, but the odds are not in your favor. You've already done a great thing taking the kitty in and clutching it from the cold hands of Mother Nature. Everything beyond this is immensely lucky for the kitty.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Thanks everyone for the tips. Mostly good news on the Jupiter front so far. Got a LOT of goat milk down last night (it's what we have until the Amazon order with KMR comes Monday) and a little more just now. Shakes have mostly stopped. Still couldn't get the kitty to eliminate on demand but there was some poo in the bedding I changed. Gonna try a dab of corn syrup on the lips and maybe wet food one more time, but so far milk is the only thing that's worked and I'm just trying to get anything inside this cat until the KMR comes tomorrow.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That kitten is a cutie-patootie and I am hoping for the best for the both of you :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good on you for this :3: look at that cute little fucker

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
She's taking milk from a syringe, right? She may not really "get" how to feed herself yet. Putting a glob of wet food on your fingers or a spoon and offering it to her that way may help her. It can take kittens a little while to figure that out and while she's scared and possibly sick it's just extra challenging.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

*sobs so hard*

PRECIOUS KITTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Chili posted:

As per usual, I see a post that needs a response and before I get to it, someone else does perfectly. Lzr is right on the money. Kmr, and good simulation.

And just as a heads up. I don't want to discourage you or get you worried, but the odds are not in your favor. You've already done a great thing taking the kitty in and clutching it from the cold hands of Mother Nature. Everything beyond this is immensely lucky for the kitty.

Thank you for saying it so bluntly. Jupiter did not make it, but it was a little easier to sit through her vigil after reading this.

She came in almost as dead as her littermates, but rallied super hard in the evening when I made that second post - even running around, exploring and stuff. But wasting kitten syndrome comes fast and next morning she couldn't lift her own head up. We got some more milk and broth in her and kept her warm but it wasn't enough. But I did stay up with her all night and give her pets and tell her she wasn't alone.

Please be nice to your animals today, everyone. And if you're in a rural area where you might find a kitten someday and can't get KMR on short notice, buy some now. (I'm not canceling the Amazon order; all of the stuff that was meant to be Jupiter's will sit in a corner, just in case.)