Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ipsos: 47-53 -2 on ALP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

It's impossible not to be racist, complains racist.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
"Uh, I don't think we can publish this cartoon of Serena with a bone through her nose cooking cartoonists wearing colonial gear in a giant cauldron. It's not going to play well."
"Ugh, mind telling me what I CAN draw?"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Ipsos: 47-53 -2 on ALP.

Doesn't ipsos have an lnp slant?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hobo Erotica posted:

Hey everyone, how we doing

Never mind then I guess.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the two genders

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
All of the pollsters are landline callers, when was the last time you heard of someone under 40 answering one of those?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://twitter.com/SilkArachnid/status/911820164982759424

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
polls hosed m8

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1041255672237613056
https://twitter.com/Kroxigor01/status/1041269377012654080

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/J_C_Campbell/status/1041263310845308928
https://twitter.com/andrewprobyn/status/1041270916808765446

lol

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

norp posted:

All of the pollsters are landline callers, when was the last time you heard of someone under 40 answering one of those?

Not true.

These polls have strict age and residency quotas and yes, they call mobiles.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/OzKitsch/status/1041173172215672832

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Eric Wareheim?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I am really beginning to actively dislike all parody sites.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-10/namatjira-breaks-from-family-style-with-bold2c-fresh-paintings/6610260

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/premier-gladys-berejiklian-shut-down-defqon1/

quote:

In an unprecedented statement, New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian has vowed to shut down the “unsafe” dance music festival Defqon1 following the deaths of two punters overnight.
Addressing the media, Gladys Berejiklian said:
“I never want to see this event held in Sydney or New South Wales ever again – we will do everything we can to shut this down … I don’t want to see this ever happen again – young lives lost for no reason. I understand there were some deaths in the past, but to have at least two on one night when every assurance was given to those attending that it was a safe event – clearly it wasn’t when so many people have succumbed.”
There have been calls for pill testing as a possible means of protecting punters at festivals, but the Premier rejected this notion, saying:
“Anyone who advocates pill-testing is giving the green light to drugs. There is no such thing as a safe drug and unfortunately when young people think there is, it has tragic consequences,”
Pill testing will not work but banning music will

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So life like

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It's amazing how easy it is when you're not a racist.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's amazing how easy it is when you're not a racist.

None of these are political satire or caricatures.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
WaPo had an article on the very subject

quote:

“It’s not hard to caricature a black person. Just don’t do it like they did it 100 years ago,” says Bell, an RFK Award-winning cartoonist.

“If you’re tempted to make their lips look like airbags, or to make their nose take up half their faces, you’re being lazy. Especially when, as in the case of Serena, her lips and her nose aren’t especially large.

“. . . Caricature always exaggerates features that stand out. But that doesn’t mean ‘features that stand out when compared to white people.’ If you look at Serena and you’re inclined to exaggerate her nose and her lips, odds are that is why they stand out to you. And if you’re not purposely trying to tap into those 100-year-old stereotypes, then as a professional, you’re supposed to be aware of that impulse and put it in check. I go through that thought process when I draw anyone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

None of these are political satire or caricatures.
Neither of which was specified in the tweet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Neither of which was specified in the tweet.

There is a visible public furore re a newspaper editorial cartoon right now, but awesome comic books.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 16, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
If you google image search "Serena Williams caricature" you'll find some that are obviously her.

I still have no idea how Knight is still employed, because he's completely useless at the one thing he's employed to do. I mean you can still kinda-sorta work out who he's drawing most of the time, but surely there's better folks out there?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

WaPo had an article on the very subject

Why are they all positive comments on her behaviour in this article? Of course she's drawn favourably.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

froglet posted:

If you google image search "Serena Williams caricature" you'll find some that are obviously her.

I still have no idea how Knight is still employed, because he's completely useless at the one thing he's employed to do. I mean you can still kinda-sorta work out who he's drawing most of the time, but surely there's better folks out there?

News Corpse

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

There is a visible public future re a newspaper editorial cartoon right now, but awesome comic books.

And the "point" of the tweet is that, no matter how hard you try, you just can't draw a black person without it looking racist.

I mean, why is this so hard for you to understand? Do you work for The Spectator, or something?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The limited amount of article says you can't draw big lips. I guess you can't or shouldn't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

The limited amount of article says you can't draw big lips. I guess you can't or shouldn't.

The article can be found by using Google but we all know how much effort you're putting in to this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We are talking specifically about the tweet and nothing outside of it though, those are the rules being given.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

poo poo political cartoons are to JBP what Mia Freedman is to Hobo Erotica.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pope is the only one I like.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I do actually think that there will come a time when there is a legitimate discussion to be had about how to caricature black people. Hopefully more people of colour will be entering politics. When they are on the left it can be safely assumed that the insulting caricatures come from racists, since the right is pretty consistently racist. But there are going to be more Ben Carsons and David Clarkes. There will be someone who is the political version of Diamond and Silk, a black person deliberately elevated by the right because they support their causes while being black. The examples in that article were all caricature depictions sympathetic to and in favour of the person being depicted, the intention is to make them look good. There will be a need to draw negative caricatures, like caveman/monkey Abbott or potato Dutton. It's going to take political cartoonists with skill to not gently caress this up, and even then it will be easy for anyone who wants to shut a cartoon down to level racism accusations at it even if it isn't sambo style.

That being said the people having that conversation right now are not the people I want to be associated with.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fed Government in 4 Corners interview: "We have no need for a Royal Commission".

Day before 4 Corners comes out: "We are going to need a Royal Commission".

"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

We are talking specifically about the tweet and nothing outside of it though, those are the rules being given.

Birdstrike posted:

this is an odd choice of hill for you to die on

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Comstar posted:

Fed Government in 4 Corners interview: "We have no need for a Royal Commission".

Day before 4 Corners comes out: "We are going to need a Royal Commission".

"

Yeah, seeing Ken Wyatt slagging off the idea of a RC then changing his tune this morning is definitely going to be used for Labor attack ads at the next election

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it’s not like the government ever does anything with the recommendations from royal commissions

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Age care sucks because it has been open to the free market for a long time and is dominated by for profit multinational companies and religious not-for-profits with dodgy corporate cultures and suspiciously well furnished offices in prime locations. Disability support is much better, but the NDIS trojan horsed free market ideology into policy under the guise of it being person centered by virtue of enabling choice. It is only a matter of time before that quality is eroded away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sorry to keep harping on the racist cartoon:

But in saying "there is no way to caricature black people without it looking racist", is to me akin to saying "all black people look alike."

Because look at the 10,000,000 white people in the public eye that have been caricatured, each one still looked vaguely like them, and distinct from the 9,999,999 others.

Mark Knight wasn't drawing a caricature of Serena Williams, he was doing a caricature of a black person. Because rather than caricature the person themselves, or their particular features, he caricatured their race.

Which is bad and racist.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 16, 2018

• Locked thread