Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

:same: (but I don't have knowledge sharing so it's develop or pay extra for techs and I kind of get a kick out of building a few glorious metropoles in my empire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Even with knowledge sharing, you're gonna develop at least renaissance and probably printing press/colonialism.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to try a Kilwa game without seeding... is it possible to become the source of Colonialism without first embracing the Renaissance?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nothing preventing it as far as I can tell, barring having your capital in a colonial nation section.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

Even with knowledge sharing, you're gonna develop at least renaissance and probably printing press/colonialism.

I really wish I understood how the decides to offer knowledge sharing. It just seems completely random. For every institution, you basically have to sit there and wait to see if the game randomly gives it to you for a while before deciding to seed it. This is neither fun nor interactive. And a couple times, I've had the AI offer to share knowledge like half a year after seeding the institution in a province. loving thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 15, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Yeah, they should really just have a "request knowledge sharing" diplomatic option. No idea why there isn't one already :shrug:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Too OP probably, as it makes seeding useless

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MaxieSatan posted:

Yeah, they should really just have a "request knowledge sharing" diplomatic option. No idea why there isn't one already :shrug:

I get the sense that there isn't because Paradox recognizes that circumventing the seeding mechanic for a handful of ducats is way too powerful, so they decided not to let the player do it at their whim. But if they recognized it was too powerful to request, I don't know why they thought it was okay have it be based on a random chance of obtaining it. I feel like the only way to make it work would be if there were clear steps the player could take to secure knowledge sharing that were reproducible but not always easy. Having an ally with the institutions you want is already a decent hurdle for nations distant from europe. Add one or two more similar hurdle, and then maybe they could add a way to request it. But now this is starting to look like a full-on westernization system.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Jay Rust posted:

I want to try a Kilwa game without seeding... is it possible to become the source of Colonialism without first embracing the Renaissance?

I am currently in a Kilwa game, even rushing for colonialism, I got handily beaten to it. What was fun instead was colonizing all the gateway provinces the Eurocolonizers use to get to Asia. 100% Trade power in Zanzibar for most of the game, no one can interfere even if they wanted to and you have free reign to beat up Indians for Trade companies to feed into your monopoly.

I refrained from seeding anything by hugging the Mamlukes with several high development provinces.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kilwa should be able to take the zimbabwe gold and do whatever. it's a lot of gold. actually just be butua

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jay Rust posted:

I dont know if it is coded to allow you to spawn Colonialism if you dont have Renaissance but your chances of getting Colonialism as a non-Euro are incredibly low either way.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

OperaMouse posted:

That's even harder. I strongly suspect that Denmark is hard-coded to hate the player.

Is there actually a reason they always seem to rival me? Or is it just them being in a weird starting location? Almost any major power in Europe they always start as my rival.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont know if it is coded to allow you to spawn Colonialism if you dont have Renaissance but your chances of getting Colonialism as a non-Euro are incredibly low either way.

I thought they fixed that bug (lower province number being weighted more heavily when determining origin)? I have spawned Colonialism as someone in the Philippines a few times now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Dharma is great, the reviews are all whiny babies crying about the territories nerf (which is bad because the balance is poo poo, not because it's an inherently bad idea)

Yeah I got a bunch of messages from some angry redditor saying like "I TOLD YOU DHARMA WOULD SUCK". Because like 4 weeks ago I made fun of him for writing some long rear end post about how he wouldn't soil his hard drive with the lastest update.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can definitely spawn an institution without embracing any of the previous ones.

However you (or anyone else) cannot spawn an institution if the previous one hasn't spawned yet. So theoretically you could conquer all of the colonizers' coasts before 1500 and prevent Colonialism from spawning, which would keep Printing Press and all the others from spawning too. This would also theoretically prevent the Ages of Absolutism and Revolutions from starting. I've always wanted to try this out with console commands to see if it's true.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It does certainly prevent the ages from changing. However doing this without console relies on a lot of luck, hoping that Mamluks/Ottomans or even Ming do not decide to take Exploration and either round South Africa or go through the Pacific. The former could be curtailed by a good player beforehand but it would be a struggle to make your way to threaten Asia's east coast.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Similarly, if the catholics manage to keep reform desire in check and prevent the reformation from firing, the age of exploration will never end. You'll never get the other ages, and the absolutism and revolution mechanics won't ever be unlocked.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Can you still rush Exploration/Expansionist as India, discover the Cape, and have a good chance of getting Colonialism? I haven’t played in Dharma.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Dhamra is ok, it's not great really. And the territory nerf is so loving dumb it's hard to believe they really went live with it. Keeping 2 states around just to micro conversions is one of the most unfun things I've had to do in this game.
Bonus points for being Spain who can more or less ignore that by having half the world either as colony or trade company.

The best way to see how stupid it is? Play one of the big nations relying on conversion vs tolerance.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Is there something about spawning an institution that's not in the tooltips or the wiki? You guys are talking about as if it could be dictated by the player 100% reliably even in Asia or Africa or something. Relevant for me, since I'd really love to try to get Manufactories to spawn in Japan for the achievement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like the government reforms. The policy changes were smart as well. The new India setup is also really fun. My only campaign didn't have the territory change be a big deal, but it does seem like a dumb change. But my main complaint so far is actually the trade company thing I mentioned earlier.

Allowing Europeans to establish trade companies is often smart. When they come to you with a bag full of ductats for a random 10 development province, you're happy to give it to them. That's good! That's the way it should be! But the problem is that if any other country in India does the same thing, it's now absolutely horrible and you have to declare war on that european power and conduct a trans-continental war if you want to complete your missions. Like, the effect is still beneficial to everyone in the area as designed, but it's like the two systems they designed are at odds with each other which only causes frustration. The elaborate and really cool mission trees they designed are now a headache whenever the thing you're supposed to want to have happen happens. And god forbid if it ever happens when you're still early in the tree. That's practically grounds for a campaign restart.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Can you still rush Exploration/Expansionist as India, discover the Cape, and have a good chance of getting Colonialism? I haven’t played in Dharma.

No, because one of the requirements is revealing territory in the New World (North and South America proper). The Cape is merely Trade Company territory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sage Grimm posted:

I thought they fixed that bug (lower province number being weighted more heavily when determining origin)? I have spawned Colonialism as someone in the Philippines a few times now.
There was a bug they fixed but it is still weighted to spawn in Euro land last I remember seeing/hearing. What did you do to spawn Colonialism as someone in the Phillipines?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Institutions spawn have never had weights and still don't have weights to where it will spawn. Any province legible for spawn has equal weight as any other province.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The usual sort of thing.
- capital on an island that's a collection of provinces instead of a single one (more chances to roll the dice against)
- score Expansion early and dump points into it until you reach the colonial range idea
- Diplo advisor that gives 20% colonial range
- have colony fully established as far north and east as possible around this point, conquer Ryukyu if a Ming tributary
- Diplo tech 7 for a range increase
- explore until land in Alaska is visible

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Institutions spawn have never had weights and still don't have weights to where it will spawn. Any province legible for spawn has equal weight as any other province.
Huh, good to know, thank you for the correction.

Sage Grimm posted:

The usual sort of thing.
- capital on an island that's a collection of provinces instead of a single one (more chances to roll the dice against)
- score Expansion early and dump points into it until you reach the colonial range idea
- Diplo advisor that gives 20% colonial range
- have colony fully established as far north and east as possible around this point, conquer Ryukyu if a Ming tributary
- Diplo tech 7 for a range increase
- explore until land in Alaska is visible
I guess I just have bad luck then because doing that has never worked for me as other Asian countries.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I like the government reforms. The policy changes were smart as well. The new India setup is also really fun. My only campaign didn't have the territory change be a big deal, but it does seem like a dumb change. But my main complaint so far is actually the trade company thing I mentioned earlier.

Allowing Europeans to establish trade companies is often smart. When they come to you with a bag full of ductats for a random 10 development province, you're happy to give it to them. That's good! That's the way it should be! But the problem is that if any other country in India does the same thing, it's now absolutely horrible and you have to declare war on that european power and conduct a trans-continental war if you want to complete your missions. Like, the effect is still beneficial to everyone in the area as designed, but it's like the two systems they designed are at odds with each other which only causes frustration. The elaborate and really cool mission trees they designed are now a headache whenever the thing you're supposed to want to have happen happens. And god forbid if it ever happens when you're still early in the tree. That's practically grounds for a campaign restart.

Random idea: If a country is the only land neighbor of a lone TC province, give that country the ability to evict the TC owner. They get the province, the TC owner gets a CB on them, and the province that was just taken gets harsh penalties for like 20-30 years or so. And maybe prevent doing this for a province that was sold in the last X many years. I dunno if this would be too "easy" for the player to obtain a free province, or too exploitable in MP or something. Though the way I see it, this would still give the TC owner the ability to expand their TC and secure their foothold to prevent this from happening.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 15, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Or, crazy thought, make the war system not completely loving stupid.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Or, crazy thought, make the war system not completely loving stupid.
:dogcited:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aq Qoyunlu somehow became a Grand Republic in my game. I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm guessing its a combination of rebels and the new government system. I'm about to eat them anyways, but I found it kind of cool.

e: They were heading in the right directions re: Trade Companies a year ago when colonial wars were a thing, but then they took out protectorates immediately after so oops

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Some nations are a bit too prone to reform into republics just at the moment. I’ve seen both AQ and QQ do it so it’s probably related to tribe starts.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

skasion posted:

Some nations are a bit too prone to reform into republics just at the moment. I’ve seen both AQ and QQ do it so it’s probably related to tribe starts.

that's pretty awesome though

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
A new CHAOS Thursday EU4 game is starting up soon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868766

Also, this Saturday, the EU4 game I mentioned earlier is starting up as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868353

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Groogy, are you never going to do those baller game rules like they do in CK2? Because I'd personally love if there were some toggles for stuff like that, so you could, if you wanted to, force it to only appear in Europe or outside it and so on.

Idk, you already have the alternate ways to generate some of them from looking at the institutions, but it would be great if you could force the ahistorical (or, if you're dull, the historical) to happen.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trade Charters kinda break Ming in the mid/late game - I noticed that Ming's mandate was tanking in the early 1700, but couldn't figure out why - then I noticed that AI Manchu sold a coastal province that bordered Ming to... Great Britain.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I was trying a Portugese colonisation game, set up a colonial nation in Brazil, then the natives immediately attacked said colonial nation before it could train any troops and conquered most of it, I was never called into the war.

Not quite sure what happened there and I took the land back immediately myself, but kind of odd.z

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Try using Enforce Peace when that happens.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Patrat posted:

I was trying a Portugese colonisation game, set up a colonial nation in Brazil, then the natives immediately attacked said colonial nation before it could train any troops and conquered most of it, I was never called into the war.

Not quite sure what happened there and I took the land back immediately myself, but kind of odd.z

Colonial nations don't get to call their mother country into the war if they're attacked by a country whose capital is in the Americas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Groogy posted:

IIRC when institutions were first introduced the province list wasn’t randomized before iterating. So province 001(Stockholm) would always get the first spawn roll (if eligible). Most of Europe has low province ids, so institutions were more likely to spawn in Europe than intended.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 16, 2018