Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

There are some alright jokes, but I dunno, I feel the same way about all that ironic exploitation parody. There’s just nothing to it. Even genuine exploitation movies, the good ones at least, have some kind of urgency behind their creation. Feels like there’s nothing really going on here. It’ll take me a little time to figure out why that is and put it in terms I can explain, I bet, but I don’t mark out just because there are buckets of blood on the screen.

Tetsuo is a great example of what I mean when I describe a “sense of urgency” above. You know everyone involved really loving wanted ti make Tetsuo the Iron Man, and because of that, it tells you something about their world.

okay, you're not the first person i've seen say this so it's not solely directed at you, but where did the idea that HWaS is an exploitation parody come from?

like, it's jokey as hell but... i really didn't get the vibe that the joke was on the movie itself. it's more that the world Eisener created for it is bizarre as gently caress in ways that are funny as hell as often as they're horrifying (and sometimes it's both). like, tonally i'd say it has more in common with, like, Crank: High Voltage or Mandy than Sharknado. and i definitely wasn't marking out just for the gore; if anything, i think the main attraction of the movie is that Hauer loving kills it as the Hobo, to the point where i'd say it legit ranks in his best performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
You’re right, parody is the wrong word. It’s postmodern, in the sense that it’s highly self-aware of the tradition it’s participating in, and that awareness creates an ironic distanciation from its content.

Tuxedo: lmao, but I guess someone must’ve really wanted it, huh.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The thing is that postmodern detachment has been with exploitation films from the beginning. Many of Ray Dennis Steckler's films are highly self-aware, you don't go with a title that parodies Dr. Strangelove without, you know, knowing exactly what you're doing. The Gore Gore Girls is just the most self-aware of Gordon Lewis's films, but they all have this very cynical, "you know what you're here for" attitude to them. Like, Color Me Blood Red doesn't end with a character doing a Looney Tunes bit and acknowledging the audience, but it does end with a throwaway joke. There's no way to watch William Castle's The Tingler or Roger Corman's Bucket of Blood and not see a self-consciousness of sorts, a filmmaker using low budget cinema to try to articulate something about 'low art.' Any of y'all seen The Undertaker and His Pals?

These movies are not precisely subtle. The problem is that the predominating mode of cult film fandom is to look back upon the marginalia of independent cinema in bad faith. Everything is an "accident," everything is "unintentionally" funny. Then modern exploitation filmmakers literally just do the exact same sorts of poo poo - but, often times, to much better technical accomplishment - and the criticism is not that it's conceptually derivative, but that it somehow isn't 'authentic' because the filmmakers are "intentionally" making low art, as opposed to the directors of, like, The Corpse-Grinders or I Drink Your Blood, who had no idea what they were doing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really like Ray Dennis Steckler's weird rear end movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Molotov cocktail take:

Hobo with a Shotgun is the better than/actually good version of Sorry to Bother You

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I bounced off of Hobo with a Shotgun mostly because the trailer from Grindhouse gave us a glimpse of a far superior film. The movie we got doesn't really do anything that Troma didn't do better and more energetically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blasphemers! I'm surrounded by blasphemers!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everyone involved in Tetsuo: The Iron Man desperately wanted to not be making it. The movie almost didn't get made because people involved with the project were constantly walking off the set in disgust.

And somehow the result is one of the greatest films ever made. Probably top 10 material, imo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

K. Waste posted:

Molotov cocktail take:

Hobo with a Shotgun is the better than/actually good version of Sorry to Bother You

Responsible, medium pace picante take: Hobo with a Shotgun is a slightly better version of Street Trash.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's not as good as Vice Squad.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Responsible, medium pace picante take: Hobo with a Shotgun is a slightly better version of Street Trash.

HwaA turned out far more interesting than would be reasonable to expect, considering its origins as the R-rated equivalent of an SNL sketch. But Street Trash's authenticity and sincerity puts it leagues ahead.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sorry To Bother You is a version of Idiocracy that instead of saying "how we live now sucks, and it's because of dumb poor people", says "how we live now sucks, and it's because of the bosses", and while neither of them is the funniest movie I've ever seen, they've both got some solid gags and really good lead performances. A double feature coming to Comedy Central next year.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

K. Waste posted:

Molotov cocktail take:

White savior vs warning of a white savior?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mandy whips scrote

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

White savior vs warning of a white savior?

There's exactly 2 POCs in Scumtown and neither of them are particularly important to the story, I don't think it qualifies as a white savior story.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

HwaA turned out far more interesting than would be reasonable to expect, considering its origins as the R-rated equivalent of an SNL sketch. But Street Trash's authenticity and sincerity puts it leagues ahead.

I'm torn on this because I like Hobo With A Shotgun much more than I like Street Trash, but I still liked Street Trash a lot and that dick throwing scene is one of the funniest and most outrageous gags I've ever seen in anything and is probably better than anything that happens in Hobo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lurdiak posted:

There's exactly 2 POCs in Scumtown and neither of them are particularly important to the story, I don't think it qualifies as a white savior story.

I'm just poking at finding out how they're similar.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I bounced off of Hobo with a Shotgun mostly because the trailer from Grindhouse gave us a glimpse of a far superior film. The movie we got doesn't really do anything that Troma didn't do better and more energetically.

I completely forgot that Canada got Hobo in their trailers as a weird little bonus.

Also seeing the title The Corpse Grinders on this page just reminded me of listening to Stephen King’s On Writing the other week and that he specifies he was in the middle of a drive-in double feature with a friend, a bit tipsy, watching that specific movie when his wife went into labor with their daughter. I wonder how many people in the world have had the moment where they discover they are hours from becoming a parent, maybe the most dramatic change of course in life, come while they’re watching some grindhouse picture about grave robbing, cadaver mulching, and cat attacks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ah, the "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" gambit.

I think it’s “turbulent priest*”?

* as opposed to laminar priest

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Huh so people really made fake rottentomatoes accounts to lower The Last Jedi's audience score, including one guy who did it using a bunch of bots. All so they could make their hatred of the movie look more mainstream than it is.

Is there like, something inherently wrong with Star Wars that makes people react like this to it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Huh so people really made fake rottentomatoes accounts to lower The Last Jedi's audience score, including one guy who did it using a bunch of bots. All so they could make their hatred of the movie look more mainstream than it is.

Is there like, something inherently wrong with Star Wars that makes people react like this to it?

Rotten Tomatoes said there was nothing irregular about it some months ago (though I suppose it's in their interest to say their system can't be gamed). Has there been new information out about it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rotten Tomatoes said there was nothing irregular about it some months ago (though I suppose it's in their interest to say their system can't be gamed). Has there been new information out about it?

Nah I've just been reading stuff about it, after basically spending the whole year trying not to hear about star wars in general. It's possible there was no gaming, I shouldn't take these things at face value either way I guess. But then there was that poll Mashable conducted that found 89% of audiences liked or loved it... I guess Rottentomatoes' big failing is that only people with strong feelings about a film either way would bother to rank it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can assure you that at least the vast majority of people involved with making Hobo With a Shotgun really wanted to make that movie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not seen Hobo With a Shotgun but I did see the first Machete. The first Machete feels like an homage to grindhouse movies from the 70s updated for 2010 or whenever it came out. You know, Rodriguez wanted to homage exploitation movies so he made an exploitation movie.

The second Machete movie seems to be aiming in a comedic direction but when I watched it, it seemed like a very self-conscious movie to me, inasmuch as I felt like Rodriguez was constantly trying to reassure the audience that he knew how stupid it all was rather than just committing to making a stupid movie, if that makes sense.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1040792358852259840

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

therattle posted:

I think it’s “turbulent priest*”?

* as opposed to laminar priest

Are you sure it wasn't laminar? He was separated into layers easily enough.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Lurdiak posted:

There's nothing wrong with Star Wars itself, just the kind of person who has their identity tied up in an insular community based around their goofy interests and/or hobbies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which do people like better - Predator or Die Hard?

They're both great but it's Die Hard for me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Predator.

Die Hard is great, but McClane is very light on personality imo. Gruber goes a long way to make up for that, but Predator is brimming with fun characters overflowing with personality. It makes it a much more enjoyable watch for me even if its not as tight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Die Hard is a tighter a flick, and that's without slighting Predator much.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Die Hard all the way. Not that I have anything against Predator, but Die Hard is a lot more fun to me.

Also I just remembered Shane Black was in the first Predator, so that’s a thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Are you sure it wasn't laminar? He was separated into layers easily enough.

:golfclap:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Die Hard is the 80s and the 80s is Die Hard--one cannot exist without the other.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Glenn Howerton is an American hero.

https://twitter.com/GlennHowerton/status/1041387129081745408

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, I think I like Lethal Weapon and possibly Lethal Weapon 2 more than both Predator and Die Hard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I unironically love how the midrange of America's genre film industry has taken on an... oddly Italian bent.

Like, Wixploitation and Purgesploitation make up a weirdly big amount of the movies released in the US in the past couple years, and that's just what's stuck out to me. Blumsploitation (the Paranormal Activity and Conjuring movies and their absolute loving horde of also-rans) has been a thing for a while, too. It sort of makes you wonder how film geeks are gonna look at these movies in 25 years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's "Wixploitation"?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's "Wixploitation"?

John Wick, I think

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That would make sense.

What sort of thing other than the John Wick movies fit into the category? Atomic Blonde, off the top of my head. What else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never heard the term "wixploitation" before two minutes ago, and my first thought was having something to do with wicca or witches.

• Locked thread