Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

You monster.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Verranicus posted:

So close to being done with Wildstar. I just want to finish the main story. Unfortunately the main story quests also seem to be the worst, longest quests they could come up with. One zone left to go and I can uninstall this mess.

Need to make room for RIFT and Age of Conan!

why

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Verranicus posted:

So close to being done with Wildstar. I just want to finish the main story. Unfortunately the main story quests also seem to be the worst, longest quests they could come up with. One zone left to go and I can uninstall this mess.

Need to make room for RIFT and Age of Conan!

Is this like the video game version of cutting yourself?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Gotta play through them all once and record it for posterity! Never know when an MMO will be shut down forever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've been thinking of trying out a nuzlocke run of that pokemon crystal romhack that turns crystal into an open world game where you can start in either kanto or johto and I think it takes place after the events of crystal and you can catch all of the gen 1 and 2 pokemon and it expands out a lot of the kanto stuff that crystal had to shrink down and it seems like it'd be a neat thing to do.

That's my story I hope you had a good day whoever reads this line in particular

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I've been thinking of trying out a nuzlocke run of that pokemon crystal romhack that turns crystal into an open world game where you can start in either kanto or johto and I think it takes place after the events of crystal and you can catch all of the gen 1 and 2 pokemon and it expands out a lot of the kanto stuff that crystal had to shrink down and it seems like it'd be a neat thing to do.

That's my story I hope you had a good day whoever reads this line in particular

which romhack is this? I did a search on romhacking and don't see one that matches this description

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So what's the word on the new Tomb Raider?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

So what's the word on the new Tomb Raider?

It's more Tomb Raider, for better or for worse. Much greater emphasis on the tombs themselves and less on the combat, although Lara still kills a shitload of people. The increased stealth options are cool, great visuals as always, and some of the puzzles are actually challenging on Hard since Lara won't give away any hints. I haven't finished the story yet but I'd say it's slightly better than Rise, though not by a whole lot. It's safe to say that if you've enjoyed the reboot series up to this point you will like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the one where Lara really becomes the Tomb Raider, we promise. I could see how people would get sick of the formula right now but it works for me, although I'm glad they'll be closing this chapter and moving in a new direction in the next generation.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's weird to me that it's accepted that the current console generation is ending soonish. feels like the PS4 just came out but I guess that isn't the case.

what expectations are there for the next generation? will Microsoft hang it up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

MS is expected to have a new console but I think they're gonna try pushing two offerings, one actual next-gen system and another subscription service where you just buy a poverty box and stream games instead.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's weird to me that it's accepted that the current console generation is ending soonish. feels like the PS4 just came out but I guess that isn't the case.

what expectations are there for the next generation? will Microsoft hang it up

PS360 gen was 2006-2013 so judged on that you'd expect new consoles to drop in 2020. Generations last longer and longer each time though so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a year or two on top of that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know it will probably be like "Graphics will never get better than this Nintendo 64 :supaburn: " but I certainly don't feel the burning need to get a new console any time soon.

Xbox One Xers would be thrown under the bus. Also unless PSVR games and hardware work with the PS5 that would completely junk that too

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

MS is expected to have a new console but I think they're gonna try pushing two offerings, one actual next-gen system and another subscription service where you just buy a poverty box and stream games instead.

this sounds really reasonable. I wonder how they'll try to rehabilitate their image

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Microsoft's ultimate endgame here is to make the XBOX a proprietary Win10 machine and turn consoles into Netflix where you just pay a subscription for games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe I misheard it but I think on a podcast they were discussing MS also floating the possibility of the next console being leased like a cable box/phone that gets paid for with a monthly sub

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe I misheard it but I think on a podcast they were discussing MS also floating the possibility of the next console being leased like a cable box/phone that gets paid for with a monthly sub

what price would make this palatable? I can't imagine wanting that at all

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

this sounds really reasonable. I wonder how they'll try to rehabilitate their image

Phil Spencer will walk out on stage at E3 wearing a shirt that says "gamer" on it and he'll say that xbox is the best place to play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well, I'm convinced.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Phil Spencer will walk out on stage at E3 wearing a shirt that says "gamer" on it and he'll say that xbox is the best place to play

that'll work on somebody

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

They are doing a promotion right now where you get a Xbox One S, two years of Live, and two years of the game download service thing for $30 a month for two years, no interest. It's a pretty appealing deal and I wouldn't doubt it's an option they'll have for whatever new system they release down the road.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's already out, it's called Xbox All Access and it's $22 for two years for an S and $35 for an X and includes Xbox Live Gold and their Game Pass thing that gives you access to a bunch of older titles. It's a little bit less overall than paying for that separately, and you can keep it when the two years is up. Still feels dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hate watching YouTube on ps4 because I keep seeing these prageru videos and it’s pissing me off.

Also Isabelle is totally taller than little Mac

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

I hate watching YouTube on ps4 because I keep seeing these prageru videos and it’s pissing me off.

Also Isabelle is totally taller than little Mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqeMRVTMZBQ

just lol if you haven't already graduated from prager university with honors

proliferation of baby mammas

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finished Resistance. It was perfectly serviceable as a run of the mill shoot a bunch of aliens FPS but I never felt like it crossed the line into being special. There was nothing in there worth talking about. Next up, MotorStorm!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Taintrunner posted:

I ordered a couple of weird cheapish Chinese handheld emulator consoles tonight, hopefully I can use them to play old SNES and Genesis RPGs on the go. If not I’m gonna try and turn this old Fire tablet I never use into a basic emulation handheld.

Seriously just get a PSP

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think MS plan for the XBOOX will be to have total retrocompatibility with all previous consoles, and these games they've been putting on the Bone are testing the waters and the hardware.

Sony will most likely eat poo poo for a couple of years because they're being far too arrogant.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rarity posted:

I finished Resistance. It was perfectly serviceable as a run of the mill shoot a bunch of aliens FPS but I never felt like it crossed the line into being special. There was nothing in there worth talking about. Next up, MotorStorm!

Are you going through the PS3 catalogue in release date order?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

I think MS plan for the XBOOX will be to have total retrocompatibility with all previous consoles, and these games they've been putting on the Bone are testing the waters and the hardware.

Sony will most likely eat poo poo for a couple of years because they're being far too arrogant.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you going through the PS3 catalogue in release date order?

And the 360 and the Wii.

Yes, I have a problem :negative:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Seriously just get a PSP

My Vita just updated and I’m waiting for this game I pre-ordered to come out so at this point I’m just waiting for that stuff to sort itself out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

which romhack is this? I did a search on romhacking and don't see one that matches this description

It is called Pokemon Crystal Clear

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Seriously just get a PSP

SNES emulation the psp is pretty garbage

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Combat in Prototype is weird, looking at the moves list it seems like they thought it was some sort of character action game but there's only like three moves of any use and you just do those over and over again.
Like there's a bunch that assume that at some point you'll be facing off against a single human character in honourable one on one combat instead of constantly getting swarmed by stuff.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Combat in Prototype is weird, looking at the moves list it seems like they thought it was some sort of character action game but there's only like three moves of any use and you just do those over and over again.
Like there's a bunch that assume that at some point you'll be facing off against a single human character in honourable one on one combat instead of constantly getting swarmed by stuff.

that kind of poo poo is why Prototype is fun to me. you just gotta stick and move or giant pink nightmares are gonna push your poo poo in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I spend 20 dollars a month on Gamefly for two games out a time so that sounds pretty appealing tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't want the next console gen to start yet because i still don't have money to upgrade my computer and i can barely hope to run games from the current gen as it is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really care if a new generation starts or not since I haven't cared about graphics for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

It's more Tomb Raider, for better or for worse. Much greater emphasis on the tombs themselves and less on the combat, although Lara still kills a shitload of people. The increased stealth options are cool, great visuals as always, and some of the puzzles are actually challenging on Hard since Lara won't give away any hints. I haven't finished the story yet but I'd say it's slightly better than Rise, though not by a whole lot. It's safe to say that if you've enjoyed the reboot series up to this point you will like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the one where Lara really becomes the Tomb Raider, we promise. I could see how people would get sick of the formula right now but it works for me, although I'm glad they'll be closing this chapter and moving in a new direction in the next generation.
Thanks for the info. I liked Rise a lot and don't have enough of the formula yet so this all sounds right up my alley.

2 more questions:
- is the gameworld similarly constructed as in Rise or did they make it more linear/openworld?
- does the emphasis on tombs mean that the aspect is also developed deeper than in Rise or are the tombs simply bigger or what?

• Locked thread