Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Okay yeah was not expecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Public bidets are getting out of hand.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They redefined the kilogram so it is now tied to a fundamental element of physics, the speed of light of which they are also deriving other forms on measurements from. It means no matter where you are you can create the kilogram the same as anywhere else. Atomic clocks are the most stable way we can measure time. Internet time is derived from atomic clocks making your PC/phone way more accurate than you think. You can also derive really accurate time from any GPS signal which requires ground stations to correct for relativity. Consumer GPS is so accurate it can place you within a couple meters. Just don't use it in the vertical as it is pretty fuzzy in comparison.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

oohhboy posted:

They redefined the kilogram so it is now tied to a fundamental element of physics, the speed of light of which they are also deriving other forms on measurements from. It means no matter where you are you can create the kilogram the same as anywhere else.

This hasn't quite happened yet. The committee votes in November and then it won't go into effect til May at the earliest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sagebrush posted:

What is "water?" Is it the water from the ocean? From your tap? From the rain?

Okay, let's say fresh water with no other chemicals in it. It will be extremely difficult to purify water to the parts per trillion that we'd need to use it as a reference standard, but let's say that we can do it with a national lab's resources. We store it in an iridium flask under vacuum to prevent it from absorbing atmospheric gases or miscellaneous compounds from the container. What temperature are we talking about? Water expands and contracts with the temperature, and that will change its volume for a given mass.

okay, we'll develop a system to keep our test mass of water at exactly 293.150000K, somehow. What is the isotopic composition of our pure, temperature-controlled water? Hydrogen has three different isotopes, and oxygen has several more, all of which occur on Earth at different abundances. They all weigh different amounts. Now we have to develop a whole process for purifying the water isotopically, like we do with nuclear fuel.

Okay, we finally have our isotopically pure, temperature-controlled sample. How do we make it into a block that we can measure? Remember, we are trying to define the mass by the size of this volume of water, not the other way around. We can't put it in a jar, because then we're just measuring how well we can make a jar. Maybe we could levitate the water in a magnetic field and have it form a sphere? We'll have to keep it in the bottom of a salt mine or something in order to eliminate vibrations that would perturbed the surface of our sphere of water and ruin our measurements.

Maybe we could freeze it and mill it into a block? That seems pretty reasonable. So let's do that. But why are we doing it with water? Couldn't we do this with a single element, so we don't have to worry about purifying two of them? One that's solid at room temperature for easy handling? And maybe we can pick one that we already have the technology for purifying. the semiconductor industry has mature processes for growing isotopically pure, single-crystal chunks of silicon that they need to make computer chips. Why don't we just repurpose that technology?

And that's how we got to where we are.

Eh, just eyeball it, it'll be fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, just eyeball it, it'll be fine.
I've been making kilograms for 20 years, I don't need no fancy speed of light.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GotLag posted:

So? The second is already clearly defined (9,192,631,770 cycles of a Caesium atomic clock).

Waaaaaait a minute, how MUCH cesium is needed for the clock? It's kilograms all the way down! Science is an arbitrary sham!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Waaaaaait a minute, how MUCH cesium is needed for the clock? It's kilograms all the way down! Science is an arbitrary sham!

As much as you want. It's not based on radioactive decay or anything like that.

In Cs-133, the outermost electron has two slightly different energy levels depending on whether it's spinning the same way, or the opposite way from the nucleus. When it transitions between those two energy levels, it emits or absorbs a very specific frequency of electromagnetic radiation, and that frequency is used to define what a "second" means.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only bad base SI unit is the candela, which imo should be demoted to a derived unit.

The definition of the candela is based on the wavelength to which the average human eye is the most sensitive. That's such an incredibly random number from a pure physics standpoint.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't have any context for this but here it is anyway.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Memento posted:

I don't have any context for this but here it is anyway.

mmmm, cherry gummies

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only bad base SI unit is the candela, which imo should be demoted to a derived unit.

The definition of the candela is based on the wavelength to which the average human eye is the most sensitive. That's such an incredibly random number from a pure physics standpoint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_base_unit

I'm happy to listen to why you think "1/299792458 of a second" or "the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom" are well founded from a pure physics standpoint and not a standardized number derived from anachronistic human choices like "some division of Earth's rotation and size", neither of which are even constant, because when you define a unit you need to make some arbitrary choice of scale which, for every single SI base units taken at unit value somehow fantastically turn out to be about something observable by normal humans without extraordinary effort

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I do like the idea of Alexandre Paquet, the SI standard person caged in Paris, being forced to look at candles all day and cite the intensity to 15 digits while his head is in a clockwork orangeeye vice to keep his pupils at constant solid angle

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DrPossum posted:

I'm happy to listen to why you think "1/299792458 of a second" or "the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom" are well founded from a pure physics standpoint and not a standardized number derived from anachronistic human choices like "some division of Earth's rotation and size", neither of which are even constant, because when you define a unit you need to make some arbitrary choice of scale which, for every single SI base units taken at unit value somehow fantastically turn out to be about something observable by normal humans without extraordinary effort

I feel like this isn't really OSHA, but the candela's garbageness is independent of scaling factors.

quote:

Alan's editorializing: I think the candela is a scam, and I am completely opposed to it. Some good-for-nothing lighting "engineers" or psychologists probably got this perceptually-rigged abomination into the whole otherwise scientific endeavor. What an unbelievably useless and stupid unit. Is light at 540.00000001 x 10^12 Hz (or any other frequency) zero candela? Is this expected to be an impulse function at this frequency? Oh, wait, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle makes this impossible. No mention for correction (ideally along the blackbody curve) for other wavelengths? drat you, 16th CGPM! drat you all to hell! ...The most-commonly used, CIE 1931, is long known to be off by a factor of 7 from average human perception at short wavelengths, (compare it to the 1978 definition at 400 nm) and is arbitrarily truncated before the limits of human perception. In addition, no one perceptually-weighted curve is possible because the human eye is differently sensitive for photopic (bright-light, cone cells) and scotopic (dark-adapted, rod cells), or if the illumination occurs over narrower or wider fields... In short, candela = EPIC FAIL.

https://frinklang.org/frinkdata/units.txt (he also has problems with the kilogram, ampere, moles, and using Hertz for frequency. It's a surprisingly interesting read for what is effectively a list of definitions of units.)

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I only use cool units like cables and hogsheads

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Polikarpov posted:

But how many rods to the hogshead does it get?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Listen motherfucka, if I say its a kilo, it's a goddamn kilo! Put the money on the table and get the hell outta here.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i get about 29 cubic gurley links to the hogshead

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Polikarpov posted:

Don't forget quintals!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Forty

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personal favourite unit is a Barn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_(unit)

quote:

The etymology of the unit barn is whimsical: during Manhattan Project research on the atomic bomb during World War II, American physicists at Purdue University needed a secretive unit to describe the approximate cross sectional area presented by the typical nucleus (10−28 m2) and decided on "barn". This was particularly applicable because they considered this a large target for particle accelerators that needed to have direct strikes on nuclei and the American idiom "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" refers to someone whose aim is terrible. Initially they hoped the name would obscure any reference to the study of nuclear structure; eventually, the word became a standard unit in nuclear and particle physics.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Think about how easy the math gets if we define speed of light to be 1.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Derive all lengths and weights from the size of the current POTUS's dong, you're welcome

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

aphid_licker posted:

Derive all lengths and weights from the size of the current POTUS's dong, you're welcome

Testvan already suggested we use 1.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

aphid_licker posted:

The Planck length has already been defined.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Testvan posted:

Officer, I swear I wasn’t going faster than 9.69257e-8C.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

aphid_licker posted:

Planck lengths already a thing.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The Planck length has already been defined.

Rude.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrYenko posted:

Officer, I swear I wasn’t going faster than 9.69257e-8C.

You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

oohhboy posted:

Personal favourite unit is a Barn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_(unit)

The Barn-Megaparsec is a measure of volume that is roughly 3mL.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DrPossum posted:

It's not about the scale, it's about having a reference that is well-defined and can be reproduced precisely. The speed of light in a vacuum will always be the same and is known to a very high degree of precision in a way that the properties of some random dude's eyes are not

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

uvar posted:

I feel like this isn't really OSHA, but the candela's garbageness is independent of scaling factors.

https://frinklang.org/frinkdata/units.txt (he also has problems with the kilogram, ampere, moles, and using Hertz for frequency. It's a surprisingly interesting read for what is effectively a list of definitions of units.)

His reasoning for the ampere and what it should be redefined as (electrons per second) makes so much sense it must be wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Testvan posted:

Think about how easy math would be if we changed the value of pi to 3.2

So much easier. The government should pass a law to fix it or something.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, to define the speed of light as 1 you have to redo every math system in the world around it so maybe just loving memorize the numbers like every other big boy scientist

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's not about the scale, it's about having a reference that is well-defined and can be reproduced precisely. The speed of light in a vacuum will always be the same and is known to a very high degree of precision in a way that the properties of some random dude's eyes are not

:ssh: 540 THz light 1/683 W/str is pretty precisely defined. I was just joking about the French guy in a cage above

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blast of Confetti posted:

i mean, to define the speed of light as 1 you have to redo every math system in the world around it so maybe just loving memorize the numbers like every other big boy scientist

Yeah it’s this. I don’t want to use scientific notation when measuring coffee, I just want grams. Dialing in the kilogram a bit more doesn’t invalidate the vast majority of tools and processes that our civilization is built on.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Blast of Confetti posted:

Actually, you can just arbitrarily define it as one to do some math with it if you want. You don't have to get everyone to agree to change it forever.

Edit: hint: all you need to do is keep track of what units make the value equal to 1. You guys are talking about derived units, not defined ones. You can work in whatever derived units make the math the easiest. Changing the definition of a defined unit, like a kilogram or second, is what would change everything else.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 16, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/tgVjGfj.gifv

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean it’s almost as if there are 3 ground state dimensions and 3 arc state virtual dimensions that are constantly resolving to the same state through a 7D acidic time cypher, and that inertia is actually just the virtual electron state making a convergent azimuth to a point of resolution in the middle of the galaxy through empty vertical space and the resistance in the circuit that makes for the ground state proton to catch up with the virtual state, or the dreamed or imagined free will of movement making real information state changes in measurable inertial bodies. And that the speed of light (or gravitational mass) and the passage of time are relative. :thunk:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Ha ha ha, what is he planning to do with that "air sample"? What could the thought process be? Is this just the older guys loving with him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Day Man posted:

just the older guys loving with him