Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the idea that a business can only be considered successful if it has a minimum geometric rate of increase of value for shareholders is loving toxic bullshit. The stock market is gambling for the rich based on tummy feels instead of probability like normal gambling, and is not a measure of if a business is turning a profit while providing a useful product or service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sitchensis posted:

Here's a news story that's actually kind of nice for a change!

Harmac mill is thriving, decade after rescue by its employees

This is the kind of story that the left needs to bullhorn out to people.

:gbsmith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

sitchensis posted:

Here's a news story that's actually kind of nice for a change!

Harmac mill is thriving, decade after rescue by its employees

This is the kind of story that the left needs to bullhorn out to people.

Nice story and wonderful to hear but I'm sure the corporatists and rentier classes would just as soon make their money by hollowing out the wealth of the first world with their neoliberal finagling and inflating unsustainable bubbles rather than enabling employees in our country to gain more self determination.

Kick those parasites out of the leftist institutions they've infested and maybe we'll see things change.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I immediately burst into laughter upon reading this headline https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bernier-peoples-party-canada-1.4823647

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

I immediately burst into laughter upon reading this headline https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bernier-peoples-party-canada-1.4823647

Laughing at people who are mentally challenged is not acceptable, Powershift. #BeBest

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Conservatives have a system to veto racist candidates okay

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm pretty sure even if you get TD to send your card to a branch they still use Canada Post/Purolator to send it there

Yeah, and we get a ton of their stuff when CanPo goes down for any reason, gonna be a fun couple weeks coming up. :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1040973623555702784

Happy Democracy Day motherfathers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Neil Macdonald has a fun article about how eager the Canadian government is to hand over Canadian citizens to be tortured, in order to appease foreign governments.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/hassan-diab-1.4823570

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ1RHUnX9s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kevin-oleary-now-is-not-the-time-why-i-cant-support-maxime-berniers-new-party

Lol just imagine getting owned by a dunce like Kevin O’Leary.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

:allears: best CBC comments take on Bernier's new party.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I find it mildly hilarious that the Ontario Government can't actually hold a Saturday session to debate Bill 31, because according to the standing orders, not enough time has passed between when Bill 31 was introduced and when debate can start.

Real top notch governing here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AegisP posted:

I find it mildly hilarious that the Ontario Government can't actually hold a Saturday session to debate Bill 31, because according to the standing orders, not enough time has passed between when Bill 31 was introduced and when debate can start.

Right. The saturday session is solely to create enough time so they can argue it on Monday or whatever.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Well now they’re just changing the standing orders anyway so lol I guess.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

AegisP posted:

Don't worry, they'll find a way to make it work.

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1041026150359855105

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol, Global just ran a piece on how the Canadian forces is struggling to attract new recruits and has spent a ton of money on poo poo like a fancy website, a smartphone app, and other glitzy millennial carrots.

Rather than, you know, addressing the well known problem of the forces using Korean war surplus gear and generally being a joke with no reason to exist in the post-"stand around and powerlessly watch the locals murder each other" era.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Rime posted:

Lol, Global just ran a piece on how the Canadian forces is struggling to attract new recruits and has spent a ton of money on poo poo like a fancy website, a smartphone app, and other glitzy millennial carrots.

Rather than, you know, addressing the well known problem of the forces using Korean war surplus gear and generally being a joke with no reason to exist in the post-"stand around and powerlessly watch the locals murder each other" era.

It has nothing to do with how vets are abandoned by the government at home either.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Do they have enough boots yet?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Do they have enough boots yet?

They're all on the ground.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So any predictions on how much of a flaming husk Ontario will be after King Doug's reign if he's already going full despot this early?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, hopefully the rest of the country isn't counting on us propping up the national economy any more.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The young people in the maritimes are just leaving the province instead of staying home and eventually joining the armed forces.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They're all on the ground.

Typical. Someone better tell them they work better on your feet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Powershift posted:

So any predictions on how much of a flaming husk Ontario will be after King Doug's reign if he's already going full despot this early?

Just look south for a free preview.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Rime posted:

their pay is poo poo too

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

I would wager a bet that Faith Goldy is running for Toronto Mayor so she can raise her profile and run for Maxime Bernier's party in 2019

Can Bernier even afford to turn candidates away at this point? I feel like if Goldy wanted to run as part of the Totally Not Racist Party she doesn't need to run through Toronto, just needs to ask.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

B-but...! Bernier said he wouldn't accept xenophobes and anti-Semites into his party, so Faith Goldy can't join.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It will be interesting seeing the mods of r/canada running for office.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Remember when Bernie was foreign Minister and got sacked for forgetting classified documents at his ex-girlfriend's home?

That's pretty much the only notable accomplishment of his that I can think of.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Muh guns!

:freep:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Why are they giving her a platform? Why is the writing so passive? 'She disputes RCMP data' yeah well... How does she dispute it? Is it an effective argument? She doesnt think that gun bans in the UK or Australia have been successful? Okay what evidence does she have though? Its just a bunch of her opinions in a 'cbc article'. She's a Lobbyist too, it's like saying oil lobbyist says environmental externalities don't matter.

In short I remembered why I don't even briefly watch or read mainstream news atm.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Gun people are the most sensitive snowflakes. You can write a news story about cops charging a guy for unauthorized possession of a gun and the comments will just be about how that gun is perfectly legal and non-restricted in Canada so thousands of people own them and aren't criminals so why is the media making a big deal about this????

Headline: "Man Uses Gun to Commit Crime"
Comments: "WHY ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF COMMITTING CRIMES WITH MY GUNS, EM ESS EM!?"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

"but what about us hunters/sport shooters !?"

"Wilson said she feels unsafe without a gun in certain neighbourhoods of Ottawa, where she lives."

Oh she just wants to be able to have her gun on her at all times in public

I also like this "She dismisses evidence that gun bans have been successful in countries such Japan, the United Kingdom, Australia and Germany." Gun nut denies objective reality

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

But she's a grandmother, don't you know.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
For all the ways the right likes to make fun of social justice by strawmanning em as "my feelings trump reality!!!!" I'll be damned if they don't like to do exactly that when they talk about why they need guns for self defense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who claims they need a gun in an urban environment. It's you, you're the problem, dumbass.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CRISPYBABY posted:

For all the ways the right likes to make fun of social justice by strawmanning em as "my feelings trump reality!!!!" I'll be damned if they don't like to do exactly that when they talk about why they need guns for self defense.

Its not just guns, its everything. The right is nothing but projection and racism at this point.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

But my ~*principled conservatism*~!

-shows up to a midnight session of parliament solely to disenfranchise citizens-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who claims they need a gun in an urban environment. It's you, you're the problem, dumbass.

What if people try to offer me free things? WHAT THEN???

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nose-hill-gentlemen-pro-gun-letter-sparks-twitter-frenzy-1.1172624

Imagine... the horror of being talked to in public, and being offered free things... unthinkable, really.