Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If there's a new one nearby, take it for a test drive and give it the beans. It's very composed in comparison to an older one.

It's a goddamn riot on a road near me, "35" through the entire thing, but it's twisty and there isn't a place for a cop to sit.
You weren't kidding! I found a 2018 with 100 miles on it and the clutch feeling more linear was the best change I noticed. The change in the front quarter window trim does noticeably reduce noise at highway speed. The spring rate and sway bar + rear beam changes make for slightly less body roll with slightly more compliance when handling pavement irregularities. Another positive change is the trim for the climate controls and shifter surround not being piano black/shiny plastic like some of the 2016s I've seen. One thing that sucks is that there aren't any 2018s in platinum white equipped with Recaros and without a sunroof within 1500 miles of the DC area. Being able to baseline it with my 2014 before and after the test drive was insightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
At this point you may have to just bite it and get a sunroof since you can't order them anymore. I made a compromise myself, ended up with a grey one instead of the kickin rad orange I wanted. For my birthday it might have to get wrapped an eye searing to be determined color.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Spent $60 yesterday and had my resonator cut out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTras_YWhys

Sounds great inside the car. Just a little bit of growl, no drone.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Had a baby - need a new car to replace the old - and wife is demanding something with 4 doors so I can take the baby places in my car. I also need something professional-ish looking (thus no Civic Type R). I bid on a couple of AMG Wagons, but the premiums on those are insane and I never made it close to being the high bidder - this has brought me to Hatch-land.

If they made a WRX Hatch - I would buy one yesterday, but I guess Subaru has foresaken this market.

I'm looking at a Focus RS right now - and wanted to see people's thoughts on the car, especially if you own one.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Had a baby - need a new car to replace the old - and wife is demanding something with 4 doors so I can take the baby places in my car. I also need something professional-ish looking (thus no Civic Type R). I bid on a couple of AMG Wagons, but the premiums on those are insane and I never made it close to being the high bidder - this has brought me to Hatch-land.

If they made a WRX Hatch - I would buy one yesterday, but I guess Subaru has foresaken this market.

I'm looking at a Focus RS right now - and wanted to see people's thoughts on the car, especially if you own one.

My only real complaint with the RS is the harsh suspension. I've got just shy of 20k miles on mine, and it's held up pretty well. I still look forward to driving it every day.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The RS is amazing and the most fun car I’ve driven. It’s fun on a bun and gets lousy mpg but tons of smiles per gallon. Supposedly Honda is making a more subdued styling version of the Type R but it isn’t confirmed yet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you can convince the missus to let you get an RS, do it. That being said, I find myself reaching for the Stinger keys more often, just because of the comfort difference. When I want to go have fun, it's no contest though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

The RS is amazing and the most fun car I’ve driven. It’s fun on a bun and gets lousy mpg but tons of smiles per gallon. Supposedly Honda is making a more subdued styling version of the Type R but it isn’t confirmed yet.

There are a bunch of rumored Type R variants. More power, subdued styling, no touring package, AWD. No telling which will happen.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
While the RS is definitely on the top list on the fun department, I reallllly wouldn’t call it professional looking. Especially if you are going to be transporting clients around or something.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Tell the clients to suck your dick and before they respond do a drift

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I mean if you're worried about that, you could get a black one instead of the fun blue color.

If that's still too much, a Golf R might be for you.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Yeah the golf r is super subtle

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Yeah the golf r is super subtle

And the car seat fits great in it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Golf R sounds like the correct answer if you're attempting to pretend to be an adult.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Sportwagon 4 motion or Alltrack if you want more hauling capacity are good too. A tune makes them fairly quick and a gti/golf r turbo swap makes them really fast. Hoping to r swap my wife's next couple months.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Golf R is a great car. I'd get another one in a heartbeat for a DD.

Capable but boring. It handles great, moves decently, especially with a JB4 or better, but isn't as rewarding as some other choices.

DSG is better than the manual, with regard to performance. The difference is pretty massive. The clutches are weak in the manuals as well. Add any power and it will start slipping.

Really depends on what you care more about. A Focus RS will offer more of a driver's experience but will definitely portray that boy ricer image in comparison to the Golf. Most people won't even realize the Golf R is a performance car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Most people don't realize the RS is a performance car. The most common comment I get from non-car people is it's "cute."

The Stinger pulls more looks.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

And the car seat fits great in it.

Yeah car seat fits great in my gti

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The thing about the Golf R is that you're not really compromising anything you would want in a normal-rear end appliance vehicle, it just also has a lot of horsepowers and torques and handles well :v:

If I decided I didn't want to go fast any more, there's absolutely no reason I wouldn't just buy a different variant of Golf -- probably the eGolf, to be honest. If I decided the R wasn't enough car for me, I'd probably strongly consider the RS.

Ultimately it's up to you. If you want the RS, don't compromise or you'll end up hating yourself a little bit for the entire time you own whatever you end up getting. It's an excellent car and it will do everything you want/need it to do, no problems.

EDIT: Actually that's a lie. If I decided I didn't want speed or handling, I'd probably have a Wrangler :v: But that's not a thing I'd recommend to sane people.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 17, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Wrar posted:

Golf R sounds like the correct answer if you're attempting to pretend to be an adult.

Only quasi-pretending - I'll likely never take a client in this car, and if I did, I'd take my wife's Grand Cherokee. Also - my parents and sister have each had terrible experiences with VW's in the past and they ran a criminal conspiracy so they could pollute more with their TDI engines - so not eager to jump on that bandwagon.

I think the RS is the right fit - wanted a sanity check. They're fast, fun, presentable and can carry a car seat. There is a dealer nearby selling one for $37,500 - about $4000 below MSRP - and some forums indicated they have been able to get lower than that in the Houston area - if I can go find one for that cost - I'm back in the hot hatch game 4 years after my RSX-S fell victim to a very stoned kid on the way home from taco bell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've seen some "used" ones with like 500-1000 miles on them for around 35K.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Yeah car seat fits great in my gti

Where in the back seat are you putting it? In my MK7 I had a Chico infant carrier in the center, but now I can't fit a rear facing seat anywhere but behind the passenger seat. And then there's little leg room for the passenger, so we just take my wife's car everywhere with the kid. :v: Can't imagine the dimensions for the R are any different.

Kind of wish I had gotten something a little bit bigger, but it's totally fine if you're just going to/from daycare or whatever locally and have another sort of family car in the fleet.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Where in the back seat are you putting it? In my MK7 I had a Chico infant carrier in the center, but now I can't fit a rear facing seat anywhere but behind the passenger seat. And then there's little leg room for the passenger, so we just take my wife's car everywhere with the kid. :v: Can't imagine the dimensions for the R are any different.

Kind of wish I had gotten something a little bit bigger, but it's totally fine if you're just going to/from daycare or whatever locally and have another sort of family car in the fleet.

My son’s three and it’s forward facing. It’s on the rear passenger side in my mk vi. I really just use my car to drive him to daycare then to work then pick him up from daycare and home, so my passenger seat foot room really doesn’t matter. The old lady usually drives elsewhere in her jeep.

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 18, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I went into the dealer to buy an RS. They had a 2016 ATS V for roughly the same price (a bit more).

I now own an ATS V..gently caress.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gross.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I'm a bad person. Hatchback is always the answer and I have now contributed to the problem of car companies never wanting to make hatchbacks in the US because no one buys them.

There is definitely no shortage of performance sedans driven by douchey thirty somethings (note I am a douchey 30 something)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
shaaaaame

i had to piss off missus frog by buying "such an impractical vehicle you will no doubt kill yourself in"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And that vehicle is?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh im just the fiesta guy. nothing too special other than a tune a euro st200 airbox and rear motor mount

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How is that not practical? You gotta step your game up - the last time my GF yelled at me for a car being too impractical and stupid was when I put a bid on an SL85 on BaT.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no cargo room pretty much.

:shrug: havent done up a track car since i was dumb and in my 20s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

20's you knows what's up.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KillHour posted:

20's you knows what's up.

20s me put a 480 hp rsx into a loving telephone pole broadside like a loving dipshit

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

20s me put a 480 hp rsx into a loving telephone pole broadside like a loving dipshit

I miss my RSX every day. Almost impossible to find one that hasn't been driven into the ground with 150k+ miles.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sab0921 posted:

I miss my RSX every day. Almost impossible to find one that hasn't been driven into the ground with 150k+ miles.

or modded to all kinds of gently caress it was just perfectly set up driverwise, at least for me

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My uncle sold his RSX Type whatever without letting me buy it off him. Hatred.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well yeah type s natch.. the only rsx

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Sab0921 posted:

I went into the dealer to buy an RS. They had a 2016 ATS V for roughly the same price (a bit more).

I now own an ATS V..gently caress.

Life somehow worked out so that I parted ways with my GTI but ended up with a Corvette in the garage a little while later. So I commiserate with your "Oops this wasn't the plan" GM switch.

But the Corvette is still technically a hatch!

And I actually miss my gti incredibly :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Loved that car. Never once failed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Back in the Ford now and it just seems a bit twitchy - not necessarily in a bad way - but slooooow