Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cumshitter posted:

yes, he recorded it. im still surprised anyone would think that made them look good

also it came out that he htought he had a secret vagina hidden in his taint. or something. it was weird

im not embarrassed that i remember this becuase how the gently caress could you forget it

That's Chris-Chan. Come on cumshitter, study your course material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I do a good job in that aspect of the scenario

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i feel like an idiot for the voice training thing. i just remember asking about it and that was the explanation. i feel especially stupid as someone who has dated transfolk at various phases of their transition and none of them had mickey mouse voices

but i am really sure shmorky's ex posted about the hidden vagina thing and that is not exclusive to chrischan. his ex talked about how he would bring it up during sex and diaper play

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
"Not even Hitler can save me now!"

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well as somebody who was a sad loser who spent high school on those types of sites(not that one). its true. these dudes will loving stab each other in the back if they think it will get laughs and its basicaly walking a lovely type rope that erodes the gently caress out off your self esteem. in the old irc type chats, i saw the nazi poo poo slowly switch from ironic to well, this. glad it bit me in the rear end and i stopped doing that poo poo.
Early SA was full of exactly this poo poo, especially FYAD (but really everywhere). Back around the turn of the century, this place (and Portal Of Evil) had almost the exact same purpose and mission as Kiwifarms. The only difference is that doxxing was expressly forbidden. It wasn't always successfully controlled, but it kept the healthier posters, even in the cases of "targets" they really disliked, from going into full stalker/harasser territory.

The more mentally healthy posters eventually drifted from self-promotional mockery of the internet's weirdos towards trying to understand them and why they were different, which was far more rewarding and constructive for all involved. The less mentally healthy posters, by contrast, couldn't turn the edgy tough guy act off, even for an instant, which is why they turned inwards with Helldump, and then later to offsites of Helldump once that forum was closed. Some of them eventually pulled it out of the brink and got better, while others fed off each other's psychoses and became vastly more disturbed than they otherwise would have been.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

papa_november posted:

Early SA was full of exactly this poo poo, especially FYAD (but really everywhere). Back around the turn of the century, this place (and Portal Of Evil) had almost the exact same purpose and mission as Kiwifarms. The only difference is that doxxing was expressly forbidden. It wasn't always successfully controlled, but it kept the healthier posters, even in the cases of "targets" they really disliked, from going into full stalker/harasser territory.

The more mentally healthy posters eventually drifted from self-promotional mockery of the internet's weirdos towards trying to understand them and why they were different, which was far more rewarding and constructive for all involved. The less mentally healthy posters, by contrast, couldn't turn the edgy tough guy act off, even for an instant, which is why they turned inwards with Helldump, and then later to offsites of Helldump once that forum was closed. Some of them eventually pulled it out of the brink and got better, while others fed off each other's psychoses and became vastly more disturbed than they otherwise would have been.

Yeah, Helldump was basically one big training ground for the worst behaviours on the internet today. Ex-Helldumpers can frequently be found in the middle of internet shitstorms gleefully egging everyone one while avoiding blame themselves. Especially in the days when they turned on each other, it was a great place to learn how to manipulate entire communities and set them on acceptable targets while avoiding blame for worse behaviour yourself.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Ex-Helldumpers are "ex" because they were banned or permabanned

cumshitter posted:

yeah i feel like an idiot for the voice training thing. i just remember asking about it and that was the explanation. i feel especially stupid as someone who has dated transfolk at various phases of their transition and none of them had mickey mouse voicessex and diaper play

Yeah, if you (generic you, not you-you) are an idiot and incapable of doing a basic web search, you might decide that a falsetto is an acceptable feminine voice. But we live in a world with free voice training resources including apps that will track your progress

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 10:58 on Sep 16, 2018

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

I hope 4chan is able to make the thumbs up sign verboten next:

People who make the sign just to say "ok" and aren't white supremacists will also get fired, you are literally the person arguing "this is actually good for Bitcoin, because"

nobody has ever been fired for doing the ok sign who wasn't a nazi, because when nazi's do it they can't resist mugging for the camera and will also often just outright tell you that theyre doing a coded nazi gesture

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 11:14 on Sep 16, 2018

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hackbunny posted:

Ex-Helldumpers are "ex" because they were banned or permabanned

Yeah, if you (generic you, not you-you) are an idiot and incapable of doing a basic web search, you might decide that a falsetto is an acceptable feminine voice. But we live in a world with free voice training resources including apps that will track your progress

i know you were trimming down my post for the quote but you left in "mickey mouse voice sex and diaper play" which... i dunno, didnt think id be into it, but i sorta am now. i mean, im at least curious about it

i have already found a dozen ASMR youtubes based on this and im going to listen to them now. will report back with results.

edit: i came

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

cumshitter posted:

i dont know if lowtax released it but he got with the meth mouthed permabanned crazy girl who posted pictures of herself in her apartment showcasing her meth mouth and her complete lack of furniture but inexplicable ownership of a few swords

then someone posted audio of the two of them fighting. it sounds ridiculous, and i feel a little bad for mocking it, because shmorky is trans and hes doing the "talk in a high pitch voice all the time" thing to train his vocal chords

that said, it was super funny listening to a woman pop off at shmorky and then hearing a guy doing a mickey mouse voice saying, "Well ho hey there, let's be reasonable."

Ron Howard: neither of them were reasonable

Someone's already beat me to this, but voice training for a more feminine voice isn't doing as high a pitch as you can. You do raise your pitch a bit but the vast majority of effort is focused on eliminating resonance from your voice, which entails learning to speak more from the head rather than the chest. Shmorky is just dumb as poo poo and started doing a cartoon falsetto instead of seeking out how to actually do it right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shmorky was trying to transition into a cartoon and not any variety of human anyway. Don’t forget his wig made of blue yarn.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
it's generally terrifying that something awful is probably the most healthy (in terms of emotion) community on the internet.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Bushiz posted:

it's generally terrifying that something awful is probably the most healthy (in terms of emotion) community on the internet.

I'm sure there's some knitting communities out there that are pretty well adjusted.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm sure there's some knitting communities out there that are pretty well adjusted.

*stumbles into thread with crochet hooks projecting from my bleeding eye sockets*

Yeah, about that...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I tried picturing the general offtopic bullshit subforum of a knitting community and what I pictured devolved into racist rants so quickly I'm not sure how this could even be plausible.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
yeah every off-topic board on every knitting forum is absolutely full of Q cultists at this point

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

cumshitter posted:

i know you were trimming down my post for the quote but you left in "mickey mouse voice sex and diaper play" which... i dunno, didnt think id be into it, but i sorta am now. i mean, im at least curious about it

i have already found a dozen ASMR youtubes based on this and im going to listen to them now. will report back with results.

edit: i came

Sorry, I missed on that bit of nuance where you were longing for diaper play in a Mickey Mouse voice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bushiz posted:

And that really isn't saying much. Which I suppose is the point.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

it takes a conscious effort to make the three fingers for a W like in the dumb virtue signalling chan bullshit, whereas more natural usage has the pinky extended much farther than the other two, because those fingers are irrelevant to the focal point which is the thumb and forefinger's meeting point

when used while speaking, it's more like a fist than a WP

it's why in a lot of pictures you see of people flashing it, they're doing so by pressing their fingers against an object or their arm, because it's more difficult for them to make a proper W with those 3 fingers. This was most evident in the picture of the lady behind the Nazi whose husband played dumb but turns out they're both super in bed with the fash

Idk if any of this is real, you look at a picture of some proud boys and theyre all over the place. Pepe used to do it. Remember pepe? Feels like forever ago

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Sep 16, 2018

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Idk if any of this is real, you look at a picture of some proud boys and theyre all over the place. Pepe used to do it. Remember pepe? Feels like forever ago

That's because they're the sort of people who try to throw a Roman salute but throw themselves off balance and fall into a tuba, then waddle around in a panic making hilarious noises

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bushiz posted:

It helps that the post-08 leftward lurch hit SA in a big way. Between that, moderation, and the :10bux: tax on being a raging rear end in a top hat we just don't have that edge of nihilism and sociopathy which poison a lot of other places.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Data Graham posted:

I tried picturing the general offtopic bullshit subforum of a knitting community and what I pictured devolved into racist rants so quickly I'm not sure how this could even be plausible.

Tell the Wind and the Fire where to stop; not me.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Bushiz posted:

It's equally terrifying that an alarming number of direct off-shoots and terrible individuals, who were rightfully mocked and laughed at for the time, have gained incredible notariety compared to SA.

The thing that keeps SA healthy is that Lowtax has continually decided against making money and going deeper into debt. Fark somehow got it's owner rich and that was just started as reposting SA Photoshops with the fark watermark.

lets not talk about 4chan, how is 4chan relevant news now?! gently caress boomers discovering 4chan

Blister has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Sep 16, 2018

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Blister posted:

It's equally terrifying that an alarming number of direct off-shoots and terrible individuals, who were rightfully mocked and laughed at for the time, have gained incredible notariety compared to SA.

The thing that keeps SA healthy is that Lowtax has continually decided against making money and going deeper into debt. Fark somehow got it's owner rich and that was just started as reposting SA Photoshops with the fark watermark.

lets not talk about 4chan, how is 4chan relevant news now?! gently caress boomers discovering 4chan

speaking of 4chan, how is moot doing these days? he doesn't still own 4chan, does he?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

he sold it to the guy that owns 2ch

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cool dance moves posted:

speaking of 4chan, how is moot doing these days? he doesn't still own 4chan, does he?

Nah he sold it years ago to a japanese guy.
He works at google now.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Kurtofan posted:

He works at google now.

oh man he's like the forrest gump of lovely internet

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blister posted:

4chan while always being lawless used to be at least fun at least in places like V. Now that pol broke out of their containment board. It’s basically random shitposting mixed with nazi whinging

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Blister posted:

goddamn this is bringing back some memories

lowtax, when is all said and done, will be one of the unsung heroes of the internet for just keeping the forums poo poo alive while everyone moved onto web 2.0

edit- i clicked my rap sheet, drat did I get a lot of probations over the years. most of my probators apparently don't post anymore either, sad. I think in a way I won?

Morphix has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Sep 16, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

He works at google now.

Not just "a" Japanese guy: the guy who owned 2ch, the Japanese image board that inspired 4chan in the first place

coathat
May 21, 2007

Bushiz posted:

Absolutely not. This place if full of psychos

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

coathat posted:

i had a self imposed exodus to reddit for god knows why for a year or whatever

you have no idea how much shittier it gets just on the normie sites, not even the 4chan/voat edgelord poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zeroisanumber posted:

It helps that the post-08 leftward lurch hit SA in a big way. Between that, moderation, and the :10bux: tax on being a raging rear end in a top hat we just don't have that edge of nihilism and sociopathy which poison a lot of other places.

Yeah but back in 01 it was full of try hard edgelords, homophobia, and goatse. Mind, the photoshop threads were amazing and Lowtax's comedy was probably at its peak, but still.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

coathat posted:

ehh. we are pretty good. we draw a nice line between full on "freedom" like 4chan and Reddit and heavily modded sites like resetera that go overboard with policing. we have our own corners and contaiment boards but i'll take SA over most placed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i heard dnd c. 2003-2004 was p much indistinguishable from freep

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
freep was always full of authoritarians and outright fascists. old dnd was a libertarian circle jerk

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
seriously they all had puppy avatars and every single thread would get derailed by how immoral (thing) was because it's coercive, maaann

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cool dance moves posted:

Moot decided to move on with his life and do something besides being the 4chan guy for the rest of all time.

Lowtax, though, he's old enough that he probably can't just say 'gently caress this, I'm just going to do something else'

Blister posted:

Which people? Are we talking Totalbiscuit and the Zero Punctuation guy here or something worse

Blister posted:

If similarweb is to be trusted then Fark somehow gets more traffic and is more active than current day SA, despite being the other big Web 1.0 relic :staredog:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this needs context :thunkher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah but back in 01 it was full of try hard edgelords, homophobia, and goatse. Mind, the photoshop threads were amazing and Lowtax's comedy was probably at its peak, but still.

That was 17 years ago. You're old.