Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In case anyone is interested in the Pocophone F1, or others running MIUI, hopefully you don't mind seeing ADs..........in your settings menu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you have a MIUI phone then you should use Blokada so you can stop ads and random calls to Xiaomi HQ from happening. Plus you can go through a DNS without really having to configure anything.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lmao just don't buy the phone if that's necessary

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blocking ads is good and every phone should be running blokada or a similar solution. Ads in the settings menu is extremely lol and bad tho

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm currently using AdGuard because they were selling licenses for cheap a while ago, any reason I should switch to Blokada or is it essentially the same thing?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Lmao just don't buy the phone if that's necessary

There aren't any Android phones left that doesn't do something completely dumb then. You compromise with any phone you get.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm currently using AdGuard because they were selling licenses for cheap a while ago, any reason I should switch to Blokada or is it essentially the same thing?

Nah they do the same thing. Blokada has an easier method of adding single domains to the blacklist but thats about it

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tim Whatley posted:

Unplugged my fully charged Pixel 15 mins ago and already at 79%. Seriously wtf

Do you have a Fitbit by any chance?

My wife's Pixel 1 has similar battery issues for a while now (maybe a couple months?). I have a Pixel 1 XL. Yesterday we went on a hike and used our phones about the same: photos, maps, documents, in and out of poor service, etc. When we made it back in the afternoon my XL had gone from 100% to about 68%. Her non-XL had gone from 100% to 4%. This is common for her day-to-day usage, too.

We have a suspicion it might be her Fitbit and/or its related app. It's the primary difference between our two phones and usage (I don't have a fitness tracker or smart watch). She contacted Google support today and they're having her try safe mode for a few hours. So far battery has barely drained at all, which is a change.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can change the Fitbit sync to manual and not always connected, see if that makes a difference

I've not noticed it impacting battery life on mine through so I suspect its something else on hers

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

bixby is irritating and so is being spammed constantly to sign into a samsung account and use their samsung apps.

(the note 7 was 2 full generations ago they don't do that anymore and taking that as a serious reason to not buy their phones makes you dumb)

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-note-9-reportedly-catches-fire-in-womans-purse/ posted:

A Samsung Galaxy Note 9 spontaneously caught fire inside a New York woman's purse earlier this month, according to a lawsuit.

Real estate agent Diane Chung says in her lawsuit she was using the new handset on Sept. 3 when it suddenly became "extremely hot," the New York Post reported Saturday. Chung stopped using the phone and placed it in her purse but soon heard "a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke" pouring from her purse, the newspaper says the lawsuit alleges.

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014
I can't get my Pixel 1 to connect to my Windows 10 pc for transferring files. When I plug my phone into my computer, it will charge, but neither my computer nor phone recognize that any device is connected to it. I updated drivers on my computer and followed a guide that had me clear chache and delete data for both external storage and media storage, before restarting the phone. That didn't work for me. Is there another fix for this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maybe wait for more info or evidence about what happened before continuing your Samsung making GBS threads, because phones/batteries/chargers/anything lithium is prone to catching fire and degassing because surprise, they are dangerous pieces of technology.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bear Throne posted:

I can't get my Pixel 1 to connect to my Windows 10 pc for transferring files. When I plug my phone into my computer, it will charge, but neither my computer nor phone recognize that any device is connected to it. I updated drivers on my computer and followed a guide that had me clear chache and delete data for both external storage and media storage, before restarting the phone. That didn't work for me. Is there another fix for this?

Try in a USB 2.0 port. I had this problem with my Pixel 2. Remember to change the USB mode from charging to media transfer once you're plugged in too

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FAUXTON posted:

To be perfectly honest, iPhones' software support lifecycle is far longer than even Google's own support for Pixel devices which is roughly 2 years of major OS updates and 3 years of security updates (concurrent - 3 years is it). However, a Pixel 2 is going to fit your criteria pretty closely and you can probably get one pretty cheap now though it's a year into that support timeline and you can expect to be looking for a new phone in a couple years.

Samsung has a lot of stuff tailored towards switching people over from the Apple environment but Samsung has a boatload of peculiarities that make it difficult to leave their ecosystem, which can literally burn you and risk your data literally going up in smoke. https://youtu.be/R9sJRxcyPI8

Thanks for this. I think I would be more interested in the pixel, but I might wait until next month to see what the 3 is about.

After it’s no longer updated, how quickly does the phone fall off and become hard to work with?

That being said-I could easily push my 6s to last another year, giving it four years of use. If I can routinely do that, then that’s money saved vs buying a new google phone every 2 years.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Blue Train posted:

battery fire

I read an article about that and I'm somewhat skeptical because she claims that a helpful passerby put it out by dunking it in a bucket of water, which is a Bad Thing To Do with lithium battery fires as I recall. We'll have to see how the case shakes out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nwin posted:

Thanks for this. I think I would be more interested in the pixel, but I might wait until next month to see what the 3 is about.

After it’s no longer updated, how quickly does the phone fall off and become hard to work with?

That being said-I could easily push my 6s to last another year, giving it four years of use. If I can routinely do that, then that’s money saved vs buying a new google phone every 2 years.

With a Pixel 3 you're getting three years of software updates and security patches. Realistically that's about the best you're going to get out of the battery but assuming you replace that I'm sure it'd work just fine. That having been said you are not going to use an Android for four years, it just isn't going to happen.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

LastInLine posted:

That having been said you are not going to use an Android for four years, it just isn't going to happen.
Posting this from my Nexus 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Posting this from my Nexus 5.

My dad's still using my old Nexus 5 and yeah, it works, but I can't imagine anyone doing it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LastInLine posted:

My dad's still using my old Nexus 5 and yeah, it works, but I can't imagine anyone doing it.

Why?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well specifically because the Nexus 5 wasn't exactly a top tier device when new. There's no fingerprint sensor, no secure enclave, and is stuck on Marshmallow. The screen is tiny and historically the battery had a tough time making it two years and the power button was known to break. My dad doesn't really use a phone much, I only gave it to him since T-Mobile was giving me a free unlimited line and I thought they might need a modern mapping device but if he actually used it, it would be woefully inadequate and easily bested by any cheap $200 Android.

Assuming you were going to try to get four years out of a pretty good device that isn't starting out with mid-tier hardware I suppose it'd be a lot less painful than dealing with a Nexus 5 (again assuming you swapped the battery midway through) but I just wouldn't count on being able to do it. Too many devices have had too many fatal flaws that kill them early, things you can't know about when you're buying the device, and even if you make your way through that minefield in the end you're still throwing more money at a soon-to-be-abandoned device when you replace the battery. Life's too short for that bullshit.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bixby is irritating and so is being spammed constantly to sign into a samsung account and use their samsung apps.

(the note 7 was 2 full generations ago they don't do that anymore and taking that as a serious reason to not buy their phones makes you dumb)

Asking you to create an account to use cloud services can you imagine

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

If it's asking more than once, no I can't.

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Try in a USB 2.0 port. I had this problem with my Pixel 2. Remember to change the USB mode from charging to media transfer once you're plugged in too

I tried every usb port on my computer, but none of them worked. Even with restarting my phone and clearing data.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bear Throne posted:

I tried every usb port on my computer, but none of them worked. Even with restarting my phone and clearing data.

Huh. If you have a spare cable try that?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

If it's asking more than once, no I can't.

It's gonna ask once everytime you try to use them, pretty standard stuff really.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

nwin posted:

Find My Friend (my wife uses that to check where I'm at during bike rides, etc).

I don't have much to add with your more general questions (or whether it's a good idea to switch), but there's location sharing within Google Maps on Android, so you should be able to share your location with her. As long as she has a Google account and is signed in, she'll be able to see where you are on Google Maps (phone or web).

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh. If you have a spare cable try that?

Unfortunately, turns out I don't. Thanks though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Grumpwagon posted:

I don't have much to add with your more general questions (or whether it's a good idea to switch), but there's location sharing within Google Maps on Android, so you should be able to share your location with her. As long as she has a Google account and is signed in, she'll be able to see where you are on Google Maps (phone or web).

That’s good to know-thanks!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
4.7" is tiny? I think in a few years phones will just get so big that they'll just merge with autonomous cars and our screen will be the windshield.

But yeah I'm waiting for the Made By Google event to finally replace this after half a decade. It did have the broken power button after a little over a year (fixed). It's also quite noticably slow.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

yes i very much beleive that this is a real and not frivolous lawsuit

Desk Lamp posted:

i dont want to use samsungs apps and services, googles versions give me everything i need, that doesn't stop the phone from randomly deciding to start spamming notifications at me all day about it. It woke me up at 3am the other day

for a lil while it also kept asking me to use samsung pay when i used the phone. not a notification, it happened when you swiped up to get the button tray. more than once. it stopped doing that pretty quick but my friends got it too. that was loving annoying. thats the real reason to not buy samsung. even with the employee discount I paid nearly $1000 for this phone, I don't want to be annoyed by dumb poo poo like that

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 17, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

i dont want to use samsungs apps and services, googles versions give me everything i need, that doesn't stop the phone from randomly deciding to start spamming notifications at me all day about it. It woke me up at 3am the other day

Maybe you can disable notifications for whatever app that's giving notifications?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

sourdough posted:

Maybe you can disable notifications for whatever app that's giving notifications?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/Samsung-Account-Message-on-Lock-Screen/td-p/249060

ive done the things they talk about there, they turn back on every so often. the stupid loving account notification is the most annoying thing, it happens multiple times an hour whenever samsung hits their switch to turn it back on.

E: lol they've actually stopped you from turning them off now. like, disabled the option to disable them. gently caress samsung. when i got it people itt made fun of me for buying it and told me to just sell it and buy a pixel 2 even before i started having issues with it. now everyone hates the pixel. but atleast it doesn't wake you up and spam you all day, on a flagship device.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 17, 2018

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

for a lil while it also kept asking me to use samsung pay when i used the phone. not a notification, it happened when you swiped up to get the button tray. more than once. it stopped doing that pretty quick but my friends got it too. that was loving annoying. thats the real reason to not buy samsung. even with the employee discount I paid nearly $1000 for this phone, I don't want to be annoyed by dumb poo poo like that

If you don't want to use Samsung's apps and services you shouldn't buy a Samsung phone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Desk Lamp posted:

If you don't want to use Samsung's apps and services you shouldn't buy a Samsung phone.

it's probably your fault somehow

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

What a believable story about a guy putting out a lithium ion fire by dunking it in water.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

What a believable story about a guy putting out a lithium ion fire by dunking it in water.

The battery isn't a chunk of lithium free to react with water. You can absolutely use water to cool down and contain the runway, but it might not stop it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
If the battery is literally smoking and exploding to the point where it's billowing smoke and burns one's fingers to the touch, it's probably far gone enough that it might as well be.

It's a horse poo poo story made up by someone hoping Samsung will just settle with them out of court to shut them up, and the sad thing is is that it'll probably work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nwin posted:

The trouble with answering your question in the middle is that pixels have only been out for 2 years, and before that things were really a game of calvinball. It's yet to be seen how well the pixels stand up to the ravages of time once they're out of that 3 year support lifespan and the stuff before them was either not planned to have support beyond maybe 18 months, or was designed as a development reference and not meant to last much longer than the next OS revision. It's literally a lack of good data to provide an answer that isn't "lol nothing even lasted 3 years" based on stuff like note 7s and nexus devices.

It's hard to overstate how bad things were before Google started making Pixels, and the Pixel line is kind of the only reasonable comparison to an iPhone out there. Samsung's trying to head that way by just beating Android into an unrecognizable pulp, but they still don't have the ownership over the software that Google does. The same goes for all other manufacturers but Samsung is the biggest with the most phones sold so they're kind of shorthand even if they're kind of poo poo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bear Throne posted:

And you definitely changed to transfer mode from the notification that pops up yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Bear Throne posted:

I have the same problem and I've only ever gotten it to work by using a USB 2.0 C to A cable connected to a USB 2.0 port. Using a USB 2.0 C to C cable never worked. I wonder if a USB 3 C to C cable would work, but I don't want to spend the money to find out.