Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

At my job they do the whole "please donate your pto :ohdear:" when someone gets seriously ill but on top of that there is an upper limit on how much the sick person can receive. I don't know the exact amount you're allowed to get but people hit their ceilings really fast so it must be pretty low.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Why do you people put up with that crap?

It's not that people put up with it, it's that if you take a stand at all they will just fire your rear end. No unions and a right to work state means they don't even have to cite a reason for firing you, you're just gone one day.

Why can’t sick people be given proper paid leave?

The sick employee gets taken care of without the company doing anything and all the peasants that give away their pto now have less of it to waste on frivolous things like a mental health day or staying home to take care of your sick kid. Everybody wins!

Edit: new page so here's a pic:

Koishi Komeiji has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That's hosed up. In my country you get paid sick time for as long as you're sick, as confirmed by your family doctor. That goes for parents with children under 18 - if it's a two parent household, you're free to choose which one will take the leave while the child is sick.

For the first 42 days, the employer has to pay you, but I do think you only get something like 70 percent of your regular pay. After that, the state health insurance takes over and pays you until you get well enough to work. If you are still sick after 6 months, you can apply for a disability pension. It's not perfect, but it's still somewhat humane. The only reason it works is because the state forces all businesses to comply.

Also, you can share up to a year of paid parental leave between the parents as you wish, with 6 months being obligatory. Up to three years if you have 3+ children.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It's not that people put up with it, it's that if you take a stand at all they will just fire your rear end. No unions and a right to work state means they don't even have to cite a reason for firing you, you're just gone one day.

My fiancees mom filed a workers comp claim recently and it turns out the company she works for doesn't have insurance for that. We're bother wondering when she's just going to stop having a job because right to work is a helluva thing

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Also, that crap being called "right to work" is LMAO

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

See also:
"No Child Left Behind"
"Defense of Marriage"
"Religious Freedom"

It's almost like they know how ghoulish what they're doing is and try to name it the opposite to throw people off...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

It's not. It's called At Will Employment. Goons can't be bothered to learn what Right To Work means so they keep using it incorrectly.

Right To Work means you can't be forced to pay union dues even if there's a union agreement and you benefit from it. More specifically, it's legislation designed to cripple unions financially.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That's hosed up. In my country you get paid sick time for as long as you're sick, as confirmed by your family doctor. That goes for parents with children under 18 - if it's a two parent household, you're free to choose which one will take the leave while the child is sick.

For the first 42 days, the employer has to pay you, but I do think you only get something like 70 percent of your regular pay. After that, the state health insurance takes over and pays you until you get well enough to work. If you are still sick after 6 months, you can apply for a disability pension. It's not perfect, but it's still somewhat humane. The only reason it works is because the state forces all businesses to comply.

Also, you can share up to a year of paid parental leave between the parents as you wish, with 6 months being obligatory. Up to three years if you have 3+ children.

wow that's real cool, bro also shut the gently caress up jerkoff

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
sounds like some people in this thread are being unamerican...

OR EVEN COMMIES!!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

AnoHito posted:

See also:
"No Child Left Behind"
"Defense of Marriage"
"Religious Freedom"

It's almost like they know how ghoulish what they're doing is and try to name it the opposite to throw people off...

"Pro Life"
"Strong on [whatever]"
"Death Tax"

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I remember coming across a good article by a linguist that was all about how conservatives spend a bunch of money on think tanks that exist specifically to reframe terrible things and make them seem like just causes. I don't have it anymore though. This country depresses me and the future looks bleak because this America is filled with people who love the idea of corporate slavery as long as they don't have to pay TAXES. That lovely corporatism is bleeding into other countries too. We're doomed.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"Pro Life"
"Strong on [whatever]"
"Death Tax"

the rights massive advantage in messaging is hosed up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"Pro Life"
"Strong on [whatever]"
"Death Tax"

Guys who say they’re Tough on Crime® are way more likely to commit crimes of their own.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
If I worked in an office that was lovely about sick time or time off in general I would come to work with the flu with a special aplumb. You want my illness, you're gonna get it. Just keep vomiting until they make you leave. Believe I'm sick now?

Probably not even then lol

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

babypolis posted:

Think tanks get koch money so they can twist the English language into knots to serve right wing agendas

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Why do you people put up with that crap? Why can’t sick people be given proper paid leave?

imagine a company pulling that poo poo in France. just imagine the corporate tears that would ensue.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

The right doesn't have an advantage lol, liberals are just so afraid of being implicated or having to address injustice that they personally benefit from that they can't use the language they need to use. "Your bosses suck and you deserve more" is actually super compelling to most people - the problem is Dems have their own billionaire patrons to deal with.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AnoHito posted:

See also:
"No Child Left Behind"
"Defense of Marriage"
"Religious Freedom"

Same thing with "common sense" welfare reform.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Ooo look at me i live in a country where the needs of corporate entities aren't treated with more consideration than human lives. I totally don't have to destory myself for shareholder value. Wheeeee

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dreddout posted:

Think tanks get koch money so they can twist the English language into knots to serve right wing agendas
I will freely admit that Frank Luntz is really good at what he does.

He's a loving piece of poo poo and I hate what he does, but drat if he doesn't end up coming up with some real focus-tested humdingers that stick with the CHUDs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deified Data posted:

The right doesn't have an advantage lol, liberals are just so afraid of being implicated or having to address injustice that they personally benefit from that they can't use the language they need to use. "Your bosses suck and you deserve more" is actually super compelling to most people - the problem is Dems have their own billionaire patrons to deal with.

"the right doesn't have an advantage, lol, they just have massively better messaging than the libs"

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dreddout posted:

theres a big money disadvantage for sure, but i feel theres also structural disadvantages based on what each side wants to communicate. right wing policies are ghoulishly evil so they disguise the meaning of everything with euphemisms and lies. left wing policies aim to actually help people and so the language is more descriptive and less deceptive

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will freely admit that Frank Luntz is really good at what he does.

He's a loving piece of poo poo and I hate what he does, but drat if he doesn't end up coming up with some real focus-tested humdingers that stick with the CHUDs.

Also, let's be honest, they have a much more susceptible target audience.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I disagree. There's some mega dumb turbo idiots on the left too. It's probably worse in the right because there's slightly more of a need for some authority to spell poo poo out, but I'd be surprised it it was a bigly difference that was really striking.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

what is the left greatest strenght? i say its being really good at insulting people on twitter. we have the best burns, the best trolls, and the best memes

its time to get out there and start bofaing and updogging regular folk

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

babypolis posted:

what is the left greatest strenght? i say its being really good at insulting people on twitter. we have the best burns, the best trolls, and the best memes

its time to get out there and start bofaing and updogging regular folk

Power naps on election days?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I disagree. There's some mega dumb turbo idiots on the left too. It's probably worse in the right because there's slightly more of a need for some authority to spell poo poo out, but I'd be surprised it it was a bigly difference that was really striking.

Decades ago maybe but 20+ years of insane propaganda has softened their brains. You can blame democrats for being centrist and lovely but at least the average Democrat doesn't live in an alternate reality.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Decades ago maybe but 20+ years of insane propaganda has softened their brains. You can blame democrats for being centrist and lovely but at least the average Democrat doesn't live in an alternate reality.

yeah the average resistance dork may be a dumbass but at least they engage with reality on some level

meanwhile trump supporters now think natural disasters are not real

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Crystals
Numerology
Vaccines= bad
Reiki or whatever that is
Feng sui
"Actually giving huge tax breaks is good because this new can factory will create like 100 lovely jobs"
"Man we gotta get Clinton in the white house we need Bill as the first man lol"
Atoms= bad
Chemicals= bad
Gmo= bad
Gluten= bad
"What we never did anything like that in Latin America, America wouldn't do that"

Yeah it's not strictly left but there's plenty of abject morons who do in fact live in some kind of antireal zone

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh man weed
The pot heads are as bad as the case of bud light swilling dudes

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

babypolis posted:

at least they engage with reality on some level

Yeah. That's why they tried to elect hillary clinton.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Crystals
Numerology
Vaccines= bad
Feng sui
"Actually giving huge tax breaks is good because this new can factory will create like 100 lovely jobs"
Atoms= bad
Chemicals= bad
Gmo= bad
Gluten= bad
"What we never did anything like that in Latin America, America wouldn't do that"

Yeah it's not strictly left but there's plenty of abject morons who do in fact live in some kind of antireal zone

Those are all closer to fringe beliefs that mostly exist in a bubble of affluent liberals. Distorting reality is mainstream conservatism.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Crystals
Numerology
Vaccines= bad
Feng sui
Atoms= bad
Chemicals= bad
Gmo= bad
Gluten= bad

you would be hard pressed to find an invidiual that doesnt hold some stupid, fringe beliefs

but wholesale denial of reality is a right wing phenomenon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lotta struggling young single moms and lefty boomers into this kinda thing and wasting cash on it but it's anecdotal.

I'd say I know so many people that believe obvious fake poo poo sometimes I wonder if it is me who is the moron. Most people I know got at least one insane idiot thing going on.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean next level insane, like damagingly insane

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lotta struggling young single moms and lefty boomers into this kinda thing and wasting cash on it but it's anecdotal.

I'd say I know so many people that believe obvious fake poo poo sometimes I wonder if it is me who is the moron. Most people I know got at least one insane idiot thing going on.

yeah basically. and while someone who believes in homeopathy may waste money on some stupid bullshit and maybe have dumb ideas about gmos and vaccines, they wont look at a hurricane and go "thats fake" because it slightly inconveniences their completely warped view of reality

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

I mean next level insane, like damagingly insane

I worked with this lady who would do the apple cider vinegar thing 3 times a day and I told her she was going to gently caress her self up and she was like I think David avocado Wolf knows a little more about the human body than you. and let me tell you when I made fun of her for missing work because she burned her esophagus and she was not happy with me.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
i think some of the less ideological bullshit spreads by people trying to be "balanced" without understanding what that actually means. ive seen people read actual scientific studies and then in order to be "balanced" would read conspiracy theory posts and put both on the same level of trustworthiness

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I worked with this lady who would do the apple cider vinegar thing 3 times a day and I told her she was going to gently caress her self up and she was like I think David avocado Wolf knows a little more about the human body than you. and let me tell you when I made fun of her for missing work because she burned her esophagus and she was not happy with me.

How much vinegar do you have to consume to burn your esophagus? I eat pickled vegetables and have sips of dill pickle brine daily because I'm a fiend for anything pickled. I have never had anything close to even a mildly irritated esophagus because. Was she drinking like a quart of apple cider vinegar three times a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

AnoHito posted:

See also:
"No Child Left Behind"
"Defense of Marriage"
"Religious Freedom"

A proud tradition begun with Department of Justice and Department of Defense