Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think she can stand to be down tuned just a smidge. Particularly where the distance of her shield bash is concerned.

Also, I'm calling it now that the next hero will have some sort of anti-armor capability. Like an E ability that removes it, reduces its effectiveness, or gives their primary fire a buff to bypass damage reduction from armor. Could perhaps be Torb's nemesis from his comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Perfectly Safe posted:

Sure, but it should break Hammond's momentum, just like running into a wall. DVa keeps going after hitting a wall because she's being propelled.

his swing is momentum based and has the ability to add to its own force once it reaches a certain speed. they count it as propulsion. if you are accurate with your rotations you can keep the momentum shield up for most if not all of the rotation

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't understand why people think Brig is powerful at all. She has no movement, no range, and mediocre healing with zero sustain. She has 250 HP and a giant hitbox. Her only good tool is a stun that's worse than flashbang and which has already eaten two huge nerfs because Genjis cried about it.

She counters some dudes that didn't have a counter before and were desperately overdue to get one, that's all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

She's for sure overpowered but the idea behind her release was to entirely change the meta so she kind of has to be.

What's funny is she was built to resist dive but I feel like the meta has still shifted back to dive with how good Sombra is and now Hammond allowing triple dive tank comps.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

AkumaHokoru posted:

his swing is momentum based and has the ability to add to its own force once it reaches a certain speed. they count it as propulsion. if you are accurate with your rotations you can keep the momentum shield up for most if not all of the rotation

I don't know what this means. Hammond loses momentum if he hits a solid object. DVa will continue (sliding around objects or across walls) depending on her facing while her jets are firing. These are different behaviours.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

megane posted:

I don't understand why people think Brig is powerful at all. She has no movement, no range, and mediocre healing with zero sustain. She has 250 HP and a giant hitbox. Her only good tool is a stun that's worse than flashbang and which has already eaten two huge nerfs because Genjis cried about it.

She counters some dudes that didn't have a counter before and were desperately overdue to get one, that's all.

I think the simple answer is that most people consider mobility to be fun and stuns (or anything that wrests mobility control from the player) to be unfun, particularly in first person games.

Her stun is as good if not better than McCree's. It lasts over a second while McCree's lasts for half of one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Brig does an awful lot with fairly low cooldowns, each thing she does can be unfavorably compared with something someone else does. But yeah she's strong.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Another Brig interaction they ought to change is that when rein has his shield up, he should be immune to shield bash (but only from the front). This opens up a lot of counterplay opportunities—makes it more skill based against rein instead just being able to bash him with impunity.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Another Brig interaction they ought to change is that when rein has his shield up, he should be immune to shield bash (but only from the front). This opens up a lot of counterplay opportunities—makes it more skill based against rein instead just being able to bash him with impunity.

Brig does not last long within hammer range of rein. Walking up and stunning the rein is a good way to throw and feed unless there is a coordinated game plan like a hammer down.

Having a way to open up the the choke for a hammer down or well timed deadeye seems like a positive thing to me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

If rein lets his shield down, he would become open to be stunned. The threat of a Brig stun would still be very real - if the rein backs up while holding up his shield, it's liable to be burned down by ranged damage. If he moves forward, he opens his back to the brig. Stun can still occur, it just requires manipulation of positioning and counterplay.

Imagine if McCree could stun rein with his shield up.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Overhead flashbang. Boom.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

If rein lets his shield down, he would become open to be stunned. The threat of a Brig stun would still be very real - if the rein backs up while holding up his shield, it's liable to be burned down by ranged damage. If he moves forward, he opens his back to the brig. Stun can still occur, it just requires manipulation of positioning and counterplay.

Oh rein is gonna get stunned. It's kind of a meme right now. And it's kind of his job. I'm just saying that Brig is doing it wrong, wasting her stun, and putting herself at risk of losing the teamfight by getting shot in her fat dome.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
did someone say rein stuns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eof8RHG3cE0

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Brig bashing through the shield is consistent with other effects though, isn't it? Doomfist can punch through it, DVa can boost through it, Genji can Dash through it, Winston can Leap into it. Shields don't stop people or melee, so as long as the enemy is physically moving into your barrier they won't be blocked. Otherwise you would have to have one ability mismatched, or suddenly stop a whole bunch of other powers that don't need that limitation. Especially because you would want to keep shield effects consistent, so you would need to give the other shield abilities a similar defense. I don't think you want Orisa stopping people short with her shield.

Yea it's frustrating that she can stun into Rein where McCree can't, but she also ends up in the middle of the enemy and she doesn't have any escape so you'd better make good on that stun.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

If I were a rein player I would relish every one of those stuns and knockbacks because it means my team is free to operate without that poo poo happening to them.

*edit probably wouldn't be mad if rein got 1/2 duration stuns, sleep, and 1/2 momentum knockbacks.

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 14, 2018

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If your a CERTAIN TYPE OF REIN then a Brig wading in means swing, but a lot of them get put on the defensive and let her beat their brains in, which is loving bizarre to me.

EDIT:
tbf tho, if Brig is timing everything right it can take like 4 rein swings to get her down, which is a lot of time he's not holding up his shield and should be getting pelted

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

He can, quite easily.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Ashcans posted:

Yea it's frustrating that she can stun into Rein where McCree can't

This is not true, McCree can stun Rein with a full shieldup and faced towards McCree as he can just throw the stun nade right above the shield.

Happens all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZWsc6e862Y

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Boogle posted:

Overhead flashbang. Boom.

Ravenfood posted:

He can, quite easily.

Exactly—but only if flashbang explodes behind the shield. If you throw flashbang in front of the shield it has no effect. Also the rein has a chance (however small) to aim his shield in such a way as to negate the stun even if the McCree aims above his head.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think Brig is just the critical mass point of a really frustrating long climb to an interrupt-y-stun-y-knocked-down annoying type of gameplay where like, if you're a tank-ish character or a brawler, there are so many loving disruption things going. So many times against more and more comps I just get hard locked down, like I'm hit with a sleep dart and then a shattered and a brig stun, and it's just loving kill me already god. I have abilities I'd like to use, or heaven forbid aim at someone with my gun and shoot to kill them, but there's so much bullshit going on.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

headcase posted:

I had an amazing moment where i zen ulted at the exact same time the enemy hammond did. It is so satisfying flying around the mine field, turbo popping all the mines.

Most Hammond players still haven't realized they only need to Piledrive into an enemy Hammond's minefiled to pretty much clear it completely with the AoE while only taking minimal damage themselves.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

Most Hammond players still haven't realized they only need to Piledrive into an enemy Hammond's minefiled to pretty much clear it completely with the AoE while only taking minimal damage themselves.

Thanks! I was too scared to give up my MH Hammond pull to try it yesterday.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mcbexx posted:

I noticed a enemy Hammond did this to my ult, I was wondering why he didn't die from it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Now they just need to make piledriver destroy Junkrat traps :colbert:

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
People keep whining about Brigitte but since her release she's been nerfed twice and most DPS characters have been buffed to the point that Mei is a sniper now, give it a break. Who I'm sorry for are tanks, because they haven't been buffed for ages and now you have all these DPS monsters hanging around dumping 500 worth of storm arrow damage into your fat rear end while a nerfed Mercy tries to slowly heal you like she's pumping gas at the station.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the tanks are all good tho. well except roadhog but blizzard hates him

they buffed ana, lucio, and even moira a little. there's a ton of healing going around to make tanks nigh impossible to kill

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Tanking is kind of in a brutal place right now, because you are absolutely turbofucked playing *AS* them, but assuming red team has their monitors turned on you're going to have trouble winning without a 500-600HP beefcake constantly being healed on some kind of objective. For all the DPS slampickers, one of the best strategies is 3 tank, 3 support, most of whom you can imagine wish they could play DPS. Its a weird dynamic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

the tanks are all good tho. well except roadhog but blizzard hates him

they buffed ana, lucio, and even moira a little. there's a ton of healing going around to make tanks nigh impossible to kill

Note that you said that the healers are what makes the tanks serviceable, not the tanks. I agree that they aren't bad, but you can get burst down so loving fast as a tank by, e.g., storm arrow or a particularly bold junk. And your only recourse is to have a healer. Which is...alright, but it's not a strength of the tank.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the healers are not why the tanks are good. they're the highest impact heroes in the whole game, but the least dependent on individual skill while also requiring the most knowledge of the game. winston has been one of the most powerful heroes in overwatch for like a year but you never hear the average player complain about him because they probably either don't see or even notice a good winston. d.va's a little easier to see the impact of but needs similar game sense to play well and is arguably an even bigger impact hero than the main tanks

my healer comment was purely to refute the idea that healing couldn't keep up with their health pools because that's simply not the case

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Willie Tomg posted:

Tanking is kind of in a brutal place right now, because you are absolutely turbofucked playing *AS* them, but assuming red team has their monitors turned on you're going to have trouble winning without a 500-600HP beefcake constantly being healed on some kind of objective. For all the DPS slampickers, one of the best strategies is 3 tank, 3 support, most of whom you can imagine wish they could play DPS. Its a weird dynamic.

I feel like this is largely because damage has been buffed so much. Not much point playing DPS when you get wiped faster than the healers can keep you up.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think the game is in a great place right now. Healers and tanks are all on pretty even ground, and every DPS is viable (but some are more situational than others). There is not much to complain about balance-wise. Even brig evened out since the last patch. I really think the shotgun characters are countering her effectively.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I mean, all of my criticisms aside, I think the game is more balanced today than it's ever been. I just have petty gripes

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It is hilarious how bad people are with Hammond in quickplay though. That is just one giant, giant ball of rolling ult charge like 90% of the time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was learning Hamball but have had to swap off more lately, I think with the prevalence of Brig and Sombra (and Ana's re-entry into the meta) he is just too vulnerable to getting stunlocked.

I was looking at the game achievements today and realized that the only heroes I have neither cute nor pixel spray for, are Hanzo and Genji. :whatup:

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Playing tank in QP is just a plain terrible idea because nobody is going to heal you, might as well add on to the all DPS pile and not Ult feed as much.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
QP isn't as bad as it used to be, since they added Brig/Moira and doing DPS-y support can be kinda fun, also everyone is learning the hell outta Ana so she's around usually.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I wish I could play Ana since she is a cool grandma but my aim is dogshit and trying to heal Genjis makes me want to pull my hair out.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

megane posted:

I wish I could play Ana since she is a cool grandma but my aim is dogshit and trying to heal Genjis makes me want to pull my hair out.

Don't heal them. :ssh:

If they want to be healed they can come to you.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
How does Overwatch define a team kill? I thought it was everyone on the opponent team dead at the same time, but a lot of the time I'm watching someone running back from spawn and it announces a team kill long after they respawned. Is it just killing everyone within a certain timeframe, or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Ana is my most played character. I rarely play anything but her, but have been trying to Branch out into learning Sombra and Zarya lately.