Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Xik posted:

Pretty sure there is still a sort of unlocking "tree". If you keep throwing modules at flags you'll just end up just getting more decorations. If you want more "main" building blocks, keep unlocking those type and you'll get more.

It felt like even if they were random at the micro level, there was a clear structure at macro level. I could also be talking poo poo and it was all just a massive coincidence that I get the same "type" based on what I was unlocking so :shrug:.

You'll want the decorations though.

Especially the hosed up Pikachu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xik posted:

Pretty sure there is still a sort of unlocking "tree". If you keep throwing modules at flags you'll just end up just getting more decorations. If you want more "main" building blocks, keep unlocking those type and you'll get more.

It felt like even if they were random at the micro level, there was a clear structure at macro level. I could also be talking poo poo and it was all just a massive coincidence that I get the same "type" based on what I was unlocking so :shrug:.

Same, I found scrolling down towards the bottom of the list and picking structural type bits was quite helpful.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Does anyone know the rules about building cuboid room bases and how much of it can't be glass cubes in order to provide hazard protection?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blindeye posted:

Does anyone know the rules about building cuboid room bases and how much of it can't be glass cubes in order to provide hazard protection?

I don't think it has anything to do with glass cubes, and everything to do with how large the room itself is. At least when using basic parts, if I make a room that's 3x3 squares in size or more and stand in the center, the game may decide that I'm actually outdoors. I assume cuboid rooms would be similar but you may be able to get a bit bigger before the room breaks.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with glass cubes, and everything to do with how large the room itself is. At least when using basic parts, if I make a room that's 3x3 squares in size or more and stand in the center, the game may decide that I'm actually outdoors. I assume cuboid rooms would be similar but you may be able to get a bit bigger before the room breaks.

I was surprised to find the large cuboid with perfectly interlocking parts was considered more open than a basic part room of roughly the same size.

You might be able to get away with large cuboids if you use the cuboid walls inside too.

Edit: I just built out a set of cubic cuboids in creative and they were all considered fully inside at the floor, until I built a 5x5x5 which was considered inside except at the corners. I went back and checked the 4x4x4 corners which were not exposed like the 5x5x5. So 2x2x2, 3x3x3, and 4x4x4 cuboid seem safely indoors.

From an earlier experiment with an earlier release level, I know an 8x8x2 cuboid was considered all exposed on the inside.

Edit 2: In a 4x16x4 long cuboid, the you start getting exposed at a distance of about 4 rooms when near the ends.

code:
From above:

__ __ __ _? ?* ** ** ** ** ** ** *? ?_ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ ?* ** ** ** ** ** ** *? __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ ?* ** ** ** ** ** ** *? __ __ __ __
__ __ __ _? ?* ** ** ** ** ** ** *? ?_ __ __ __

* = exposed.
? = maybe exposed, wildly fluctuating temperature

I cut it down to 4x9x4 and saw similar behavior at the center. I rebuilt and cut it to 4x16x2 (half height) and saw pretty much the same exposure pattern above with more randomly exposed spots than exposed ones.

code:
From above:

__ __ __ _? ** ?_ __ __ __

* = exposed.
? = maybe exposed, sometimes wildly fluctuating temperature

Cut down one more, 4x8x4 seemed safe at all points on the floor.

Overall though, I don't like the look of cuboid rooms versus the other materials. I think the calculation of exposure is based on distance and what the room is made of may not matter, except for its edge geometry.

There were a horrific number of render issues with adding cuboid interior walls and floors in these spaces, but that may be because of the bulk of many cuboids in my test base.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 14, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Ah, I made a 9x3x30 structure, and bands of cuboids replacing glass cuboids, while not changing the room's size, seemed to help, but I am trying to understand the parameters that work or don't work.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Let us build warehouses, HelloGames

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

Let us build warehouses, HelloGames

At a certain level, it might be excessive.

But then I also want to build orbital platforms someday.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Not ideal, but I pulled off a 17x17 all indoor cuboid warehouse of a sort. Pretty sure it can scale out.

264 floor spaces, mostly glass roof.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
But what's the point of that if it a) isn't an open area and b) you cant put anything in it because more than half the space is taken up by pillars?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

AirRaid posted:

But what's the point of that if it a) isn't an open area and b) you cant put anything in it because more than half the space is taken up by pillars?

It only loses 25 floor spots to the pillars. I'd like it to have been more open, but this was what seemed required for a two cuboid height room to not be considered exposed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What's the advantage to building these huge bases on planets with lovely environmental effects, rather than just plunking it down on a beautiful one?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

PittTheElder posted:

What's the advantage to building these huge bases on planets with lovely environmental effects, rather than just plunking it down on a beautiful one?

A victory for bloodymindedness? :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

18 Character Limit posted:

Not ideal, but I pulled off a 17x17 all indoor cuboid warehouse of a sort. Pretty sure it can scale out.

264 floor spaces, mostly glass roof.

Cool, thanks for figuring that out. I might give it a try.

PittTheElder posted:

I like how toxic planets look. I think they're the most visually-interesting class of planet in the game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Conquering the wilderness and dropping some ugly edifice on it to symbolize your victory is the Space American way.

But for real it's more for variety or closeness to resources.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

Cool, thanks for figuring that out. I might give it a try.

I still think cuboid looks terrible and lacks decorating options. The suck of it is I'm pretty sure going three cubes tall won't fix the cramped feel. I'd prefer some kind of environmental/life support radiator component instead.

The nasty planets provide the feedback that something is exposed. I'd build elsewhere.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'd be happier with cuboid rooms if Sterile Sci Fi White wasn't the only option for interior walls.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thundarr posted:

I'd be happier with cuboid rooms if Sterile Sci Fi White wasn't the only option for interior walls.

It's not? You can paint them in whatever colours.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

It's not? You can paint them in whatever colours.

On the outside.

The colors only show up on the very edges of the inside.

Edit: purple exterior cuboid + purple-edged interior cuboid

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 16, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess I should be more specific. The 2D interior walls you can only place once you have already built a cuboid room can be dyed. The cuboids themselves have dyeable outer walls, but their inner surfaces are always white no matter what.

Also, the fact that the top of cuboid foundations / struts clip inside of rooms and actually remove the regular floors of cuboid rooms they sit under is aggravating because it seems like it'd be the easiest thing to have not had them do that, but they do that anyway.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 16, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

My main complaint is I can't mount things like a galactic trade hub or storage containers in a basic component building, and how they don't interface as cleanly with other structures.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Speaking of conquering the wilderness: pretty satisfied with how my surface base has turned out. Apparently, three domes is enough to put together the entire supply chain to make a single set of agricultural products per day (solanium is an intentional per-day bottleneck), but I ended up making a fourth to have some room for extra glass plants. Before I got my crashing problem nailed down, I spent a lot of time here, so I've ended up playing space barbie quite a bit with it.

More here: https://imgur.com/a/LR8ncYJ

It's hard for me to overstate how much I enjoy this dumb space game, despite all of its flaws, and I wish freighter bases weren't quite so useless so I could space barbie them too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Base building irks me because it doesn’t really do anything. Here’s these nice greebly control panels, and this lovely light up desk/drafting table, and so on, but it’s all just decoration that’s separate from the actual decoration section. I can’t even sit down on my nice space sofa.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I have a question about base building, actually.

Me and my wife played this game for awhile after the relaunch and really enjoyed playing together. It's exactly the type of game we do enjoy. Specifically, we always enjoy doing base building stuff together. She likes to gather the resources and I'll setup the base. Unfortunately, when we played, there was no real way to have one base together. I could add some stuff in her base, but only she could open containers, use consoles, that sort of thing. So I built a base as close to hers as possible, but it really made the game feel less cooperative and more that we were both playing a singleplayer game with some slight crossover moments.

Now I remember reading something in a patch that players can now set permissions in their base. Is it possible now to really own a base together where we both can use the same containers and/or consoles? Or can that possibly screw up the base quests?

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Baron von der Loon posted:

Now I remember reading something in a patch that players can now set permissions in their base. Is it possible now to really own a base together where we both can use the same containers and/or consoles? Or can that possibly screw up the base quests?

From what I can tell, you can individually set permissions for building the base, as in adding or removing parts. But as far as I know, the ownership can't be the both of you, alas. The consoles are tied to you alone.

The_Doctor posted:

Base building irks me because it doesn’t really do anything. Here’s these nice greebly control panels, and this lovely light up desk/drafting table, and so on, but it’s all just decoration that’s separate from the actual decoration section. I can’t even sit down on my nice space sofa.

Yeah. Which is a shame, I do wish there was a lot more physical interaction with the various parts. I'm not asking for loving second life or Skyrim here, but as you say, I've got some perfectly nice sofas I'd like to sit on. Oh well. Still satisfying from a 'lego build' perspective.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Speaking of conquering the wilderness: pretty satisfied with how my surface base has turned out. Apparently, three domes is enough to put together the entire supply chain to make a single set of agricultural products per day (solanium is an intentional per-day bottleneck), but I ended up making a fourth to have some room for extra glass plants. Before I got my crashing problem nailed down, I spent a lot of time here, so I've ended up playing space barbie quite a bit with it.

More here: https://imgur.com/a/LR8ncYJ

It's hard for me to overstate how much I enjoy this dumb space game, despite all of its flaws, and I wish freighter bases weren't quite so useless so I could space barbie them too.

How did you get the foundations to align with your glass domes over the steep hill? Mine are just floating because the drat foundations never play nicely.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

How did you get the foundations to align with your glass domes over the steep hill? Mine are just floating because the drat foundations never play nicely.

I dunno! I just walked underneath, got the single foundation to snap to the center of the dome in the green ghost mode, then hit F. I did have some issues with the quad foundation not behaving properly, but the singles seem to do okay.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
1.6 just went live for console players. Lots of nice new features and - I'm sure - a few bugs

https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/09/development-update-1-60/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How common are mostly green lush planets? I've found a couple good ones, but always orange or red in nature.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Patch is also out on Microsoft's other better console, Steam

PittTheElder posted:

How common are mostly green lush planets? I've found a couple good ones, but always orange or red in nature.

I've found a lot of lush planets with blue or blue-green/aqua vegetation but never anything with actual green plants.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Rocket boots are pretty awesome. I think the jetpack has a slower response time to starting though, which is somewhat odd.

Fauna movement glitchiness is new and I expect something they'll fix in 1.61. It's more apparent in clear terrain with herds.

https://i.imgur.com/gCaNrUB.gifv

Edit: of course I can't replicate it now with herds in windowed mode. It just ends up looking like the animals are rapidly changing direction, and not just because of proximity/running away.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 21, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I found a planet that's entirely Gravatino balls, whispering eggs and rare elements.

I made 1.5 million in 20 minutes. Zaze Minor is now known as Planet Money :pcgaming:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
The high security/aggressive/hostile sentinel ones usually are covered in them. Though the low gravity makes running from the sentinels easier. Someday I hope they have better procedural lootables so it's not all gravitino stored in the balls.

Does remind me I need to go find an abandoned building to see how much fun horrors have become with spitting.

Also start buying cargo slots for that oxygen/ferrite/carbon.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every time I find a drop pod I forget the cargo slots exist/can be added to. Whoops.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Looks like the patch fixed the issue that was crashing my game in the freighter expedition menu so I can now start making money again :toot:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Does anyone actually travel around with their freighters? I found that mine seemed way less warp-capable than my S-rank exotic starship so I just parked it in orbit over my base and I portal back there whenever I want to manage expeditions or access my storage.

Also, Jesus Christ the Geology Cannon is lethal with a couple of upgrades. I can lob one of those shells at a Walker and shred all of the armour on both of its legs in a single shot.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 21, 2018

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

18 Character Limit posted:

The high security/aggressive/hostile sentinel ones usually are covered in them. Though the low gravity makes running from the sentinels easier. Someday I hope they have better procedural lootables so it's not all gravitino stored in the balls.
Yeah high-security basically means gravatino balls, nothing else. I wish they'd made sentinels actually *defend* something, like, have different levels of sentinel hang out near crashed freighters or valuable resources or loot or whatever, so you could scout them out from a distance and use tactics or strategy or stealth or firepower - you know, standard FPS mechanics. Instead they're just a ubiquitous, omnipresent nuisance, which is no fun at all. But, you know, Hello Games...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Angry Diplomat posted:

Does anyone actually travel around with their freighters? I found that mine seemed way less warp-capable than my S-rank exotic starship so I just parked it in orbit over my base and I portal back there whenever I want to manage expeditions or access my storage.

I warp to new systems with my own starship but whenever I need to do something on my freighter I just summon it. If I'm summoning it while standing on a planet I aim it so it's at a bit of a distance instead of directly over me and so that the hangar is pointed in the direction I'll approach it from so it's easier to fly into.

Unless they ever add freighter tech slot upgrades that enhances its warp drive it will probably always be less useful to jump the freighter over your own starship unless you really want to avoid installing Cadmium/Emeril/Indium drives in at least one of your ships.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

BattleMaster posted:

I warp to new systems with my own starship but whenever I need to do something on my freighter I just summon it. If I'm summoning it while standing on a planet I aim it so it's at a bit of a distance instead of directly over me and so that the hangar is pointed in the direction I'll approach it from so it's easier to fly into.

Unless they ever add freighter tech slot upgrades that enhances its warp drive it will probably always be less useful to jump the freighter over your own starship unless you really want to avoid installing Cadmium/Emeril/Indium drives in at least one of your ships.

Wait, you can summon it on the surface of a planet? I summoned mine in low orbit, but now I'm wondering if I should tunnel out a huge trench and summon my freighter into it so I can just jetpack from my base directly into the hangar.

e: actually, poo poo, the hangar forcefields probably block movement both ways, and even if they didn't I'd be stuck in there without my ship. I guess I could always just put my freighter like 0.75 seconds' flight away from where my starship spawns when I use the portal, with the hangar facing my starship.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Can anyone confirm that S tier ricochet mods now damage armored targets?