Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

What have you done for your waifu lately???

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Andrast posted:

I'd 100% choose a 360 gen looking game at 60 fps over a current gen looking game at 30 fps if everything else was the same

I don't think I even know the difference, I just care that the FPS is consistent and doesn't drop/vary over time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m fine with either 30 or 60, but I’ve lost patience for anything in the low 20’s

Something Digital Foundry mentioned in their Daytona video was that high frame rate tends to help old games age well, and I thought yeah, that is so true. I will happily buy remastered PS1 and PS2 games but much fewer PS3 games and I have a feeling I’m not gonna need to buy remasters of PS4 games.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want it all, that's why I spend $$$ for the glory of PC gaming.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't think I even know the difference, I just care that the FPS is consistent and doesn't drop/vary over time.

https://www.testufo.com/

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Consistency in frame rate is quite important. Slow-down is the worst thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like, I'm not one of those folks that will "boycott" a game for not reaching 60fps but if given the option between resolution/asset detail or fps, I will choose the latter, and think that all console games should offer the choice

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like, I'm not one of those folks that will "boycott" a game for not reaching 60fps but if given the option between resolution/asset detail or fps, I will choose the latter, and think that all console games should offer the choice

Yeah getting a choice would be great

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It would be good, yeah. I’m just thinking about how I didn’t find out Spider-Man was 30FPS until after I finished it and was kinda like “huh, yeah, I guess it was” and it didn’t bother me after a few months of mostly playing games on my somewhat beefy PC at 60+ FPS. But then that’s also a game quality thing.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Jay Rust posted:

One of the top-selling games on Steam right now is an early-access DayZ clone, but with simulated pee and poop

PC gaming is utter garbage at the moment and the only good games coming to the platform are things that were ported from consoles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a bitchin jetski posted:

PC gaming is utter garbage at the moment and the only good games coming to the platform are things that were ported from consoles.

PC gaming continues to be great

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Andrast posted:

PC gaming continues to be great

I tried to sell some Steam cards the other day but they wouldn't let me because i haven't bought a game on there in more than a year. I have 5 quid in my wallet from selling other cards and i haven't found anything worth spending it in the past however many sales.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a bitchin jetski posted:

I tried to sell some Steam cards the other day but they wouldn't let me because i haven't bought a game on there in more than a year. I have 5 quid in my wallet from selling other cards and i haven't found anything worth spending it in the past however many sales.

I have bought lots of games and enjoyed them :)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

babypolis posted:

why would you do this to yourself

I'm weird about knowing there were games that existed that no longer do that I never got the chance to play, so when I learn that something is close to being shut down I gots to play it.

homeless snail posted:

he's a moron but when it comes to ff14, he's right

Aw, thanks. <3

a bitchin jetski posted:

Wrong.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

a bitchin jetski posted:

indie games are cool and good

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

a bitchin jetski posted:

There's something almost nostalgic about the tone of this hot take, new poster from... June 20th? Wait a moment...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Okay so Age of Conan is out because no matter what I do I can't get it to stay at the right resolution, and googling shows me nothing since I assume nobody plays it. Oh well. I'll play The Secret World instead!

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

indie games are cool and good

The good ones will get ported to consoles anyway.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1041444248384462849

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I saw that too. Curious...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Could he really not get @Spiderman

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kanfy posted:

There's something almost nostalgic about the tone of this hot take, new poster from... June 20th? Wait a moment...

wouldn't surprise me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Could he really not get @Spiderman

he should've been @spider_hyphen_man

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This is good, right

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1041044162685095936

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is Lara Croft in Fortnite?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s no “teaching spouse to drive”

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

they all went to court and asked for the fortnite divorce

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Either video games or relationships were a mistake.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How does that compare to WoW

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Friend of mine got married to someone he met in WoW so I guess better?

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
I don't get Fortnite at all.

I played like 3 matches and it was whatever and i'll never touch it again. How are people ruining their lives with it?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife ragequit the hunting in Yakuza 5 and is making us skip to 6 but she doesn’t wanna sit through the intro. I feel like our marriage is being tested.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

My wife ragequit the hunting in Yakuza 5 and is making us skip to 6 but she doesn’t wanna sit through the intro. I feel like our marriage is being tested.

You're skipping an entire game because of a completely optional side content? And she doesn't even wanna invest in the story of 6?

Sever, my man.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m working her over, I think she just likes fighting more than anything at this point. She’s grinded the gently caress out of the past three Yakuza games we played.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a bitchin jetski posted:

I played like 3 matches and it was whatever and i'll never touch it again. How are people ruining their lives with it?
I didn't like it, and then ended up in a battle pass suicide pact and now I'm tier 92 lmao. the weekly challenges and rewards give it some structure that just basic battle royale lacks and it's kind of compelling, + also it takes like 30+ hours a month to max out

that's like baby addiction compared to MMO addicts, but a lot of normies play fortnite

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

a bitchin jetski posted:

It's the same sort of way people ruin their lives with league of legends or dota I think. It's this mostly skill-based competitive game constantly dangling the rush of success and victory in front of your face, but it has enough other stuff going on that you can always shift blame onto something else when you lose and avoid feeling bad about yourself. So you get lots of people who think "of course I deserve to win, look how good I am, it's just bad teammates, bad map placement, bad rng that's getting in my way. if I play one more game I'll win for sure".

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 17, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just beat ristar for the first time and i'm gonna beat up sega if they don't make a ristar 2 with the same kind of visual style as sonic mania

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's the same sort of way people ruin their lives with league of legends or dota I think. It's this mostly skill-based competitive game constantly dangling the rush of success and victory in front of your face, but it has enough other stuff going on that you can always shift blame onto something else when you lose and avoid feeling bad about yourself. So you get lots of people who think "of course I deserve to win, look how good I am, it's just bad teammates, bad map placement, bad rng that's getting in my way. if I play one more game I'll win for sure".

I mean with League or DotA you'll win roughly 50% of your games unless you're bad enough to defy the matchmaking algorithms.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think it's that stuff and (at least the last time I played one, I haven't touched PUBG/Fornite in a while) they aren't as aggressive about giving you ranks and medals, so even if you lose it's not also making you watch your points get snatched away. Plus, unlike a MOBA/Overwatch there are no roles, so you avoid the 5 damage players all yelling at each other to pick a support. People are free to be the degenerate sniper player their heart tells them to be.

Plus, even though it's not really my jam, Fornite is kind of fun and they add new updates frequently enough to keep people lookin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

man nurse posted:

You're skipping an entire game because of a completely optional side content? And she doesn't even wanna invest in the story of 6?

Sever, my man.

In the Y6 demo they open with the ending of 5 where Haruka announces she’s quitting her singing career and professing how proud she is of her ex-yakuza dad. It sounds like that’s what sets off the events in 6. Is there a lot more that you need to know going into 6?

• Locked thread