Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
im ok with tropical depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, the Confederacy which formed, explictly, to defend its right to own slaves

Saying "they could have compromised" is David Brooksian level stupidity, the entire history up to that point was a series of compromises that kept slavery around, and it didn't loving work

It wouldn't be a compromise. It would be an actual crusade to end slavery instead of a fiasco with an ulterior motive like all "humanitarian interventions" tend to be

Agronox posted:

explain to us how exactly that could work

Basically like it did except the confederacy doesn't rejoin

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jewel Repetition posted:

What I mean is that the US should have just fought to free the slaves if that was what they wanted to do, without forcing the confederacy to stay in the union

your avatar here

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

M_Gargantua posted:

oh no the southern pig poo poo ponds have flooded and are overflowing into the thread

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1041357671662841859

At what point do people start dying? :yooge:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Reminder that this guy

1. Shares responsibility for what happened in Puerto Rico
2. Is an employee of Trump's

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jewel Repetition posted:

What I mean is that the US should have just fought to free the slaves if that was what they wanted to do, without forcing the confederacy to stay in the union

That's not how anything works Jeb

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

"this has nothing to do with the hurricane" i say as i die from sickness i got from drinking river water because the water system was knocked out from the hurricane

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
extremely cool that the head of FEMA has this attitude when an active hurricane (tropical depression) is plowing through the Carolinas

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dreddout posted:

That's not how anything works Jeb

That's my point about humanitarian interventions. They're never done for the reasons stated

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a civil war is not a humanitarian intervention lmao

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jewel Repetition posted:

It wouldn't be a compromise. It would be an actual crusade to end slavery instead of a fiasco with an ulterior motive like all "humanitarian interventions" tend to be

Basically like it did except the confederacy doesn't rejoin

A crusade to end slavery is, explicitly, a crusade to destroy the confederacy. You do not understand this basic fact

Explain to me why the civil war should happen and the USA should go to the rebels they just kicked the everloving poo poo out of (at a cost of more war dead then the total of ALL US war dead in all the wars after the civil war) go "OK, keep your territory though and we're gonna let you instantly re-establish slavery even though we fought this war and paid this horrific cost to end slavery. BYYYEEEEEEEEE

All answers must include the BYYYYEEEEE at the end

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

A crusade to end slavery is, explicitly, a crusade to destroy the confederacy. You do not understand this basic fact

Explain to me why the civil war should happen and the USA should go to the rebels they just kicked the everloving poo poo out of (at a cost of more war dead then the total of ALL US war dead in all the wars after the civil war) go "OK, keep your territory though and we're gonna let you instantly re-establish slavery even though we fought this war and paid this horrific cost to end slavery. BYYYEEEEEEEEE

All answers must include the BYYYYEEEEE at the end

"If you restart slavery we'll invade you again"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
jesus christ..this is the hurricane thread :cripes:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

For real. Stop arguing with me and start talking about hurricanes

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Downgraded

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lastgirl posted:

jesus christ..this is the hurricane thread :cripes:

you're asking cspam to ignore someone promoting laissez-faire equality policy, equality here being "not slavery":

that's an uphill battle

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yes this is laissez-faire equality policy

Relevant content: What's the going bet on how much financial damage and death Trump will allow his agencies to say Florence dealt to the east coast? My money is on 17 deaths, $17 billion #wwg1wga

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Sep 16, 2018

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Potato Salad posted:

you're asking cspam to ignore someone promoting laissez-faire equality policy, equality here being "not slavery"

that's an uphill battle

you know what else comes with laissez-faire equality policies? hurricane destruction that widens the inequality gap :sparkles:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

you're asking cspam to ignore someone promoting laissez-faire equality policy, equality here being "not slavery"

that's an uphill battle

Lol that's not what I'm promoting at all

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if you were talking about managing the CSA as a conquered hostile territory until the last Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy were dead, fine, yes, derail closed and objections withdrawn.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Scared of pigshit? bing bong eat more bacon now there's less pigs making GBS threads now ur not dead from pigshit :sad: vegans say im immoral but we will see who is still alive in a week!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
reconstruction week

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnMoretti5/status/1041363151240003585

oh darn this isn't the hurricane thread whatever im glad hes dead

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tropical depression for president

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

gee carolina, why don't you just stop being depressed? do yoga and meditate maaan

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I read some article a few weeks ago about the civil war and it made the outrageous claim that the confederacy wss already working to abandon a slave based economic model in favor of a more industrial one at the end of the war, which is a particular bit of revisionism I had not heard before

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/JohnMoretti5/status/1041363151240003585?s=19

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
hurricane dipshit

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Monroe (SE of Charlotte) has started to flood. Lots of road closures and there's video in a closed Facebook group of a park in downtown Monroe that is under about 12 feet of water.

We'll see if these links work.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1864422993652247&id=100002536921305
For reference, this park is recessed about 20 feet below road level.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2124527491208333&id=100009533095457
This shows a flooded road in Wingate (just east of Monroe).

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1532002056899368&id=100002687651258

Here's some schadenfreude for the thread: Jimmy John's is flooded

anonumos has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Sep 16, 2018

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

What's the bet it was a male-male lead

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Wynona Dryder posted:

im ok with tropical depression
they make pills for that

i think

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wilmington has lost its fresh water supply because it is so flooded, est 48 hours before whatever people there have banked runs out

"Transportation issues", British level understatement, means relief will be difficult to provide

also in Wilmington, coal ash is leaking from the power plant's containment, er, pit? Lagoon? Well, it's a lagoon now

New Bern's downtown is flooded, and cops/ National Guard are on site to prevent looting

"No reports of pigshit lagoons flooding at this time"

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Nebakenezzer posted:

New Bern's downtown is flooded, and cops/ National Guard are on site to prevent looting

yeaaaah ppl could be drowning but think of the property!! some poor might get a free tv :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1321328195663/