Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Went from being excited to having basically a Netflix version of Super Nintendo on the go to "oh, trickle drip NES games". Might just buy Mario 3 and Zelda for the 3DS and save the rest of what would have gone to online for another game or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Facetious posted:

Does Octopath have no overarching plot that gives meaning to these people coming together?

Because that's pretty much why I like every other Square RPG; people coming together to stop The Big Bad™.

Yeah in the postgame.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Fighting God at the end is a time honored jrpg tradition and I didn't feel octopatch was going to get there

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Does Octopath have no overarching plot that gives meaning to these people coming together?

Because that's pretty much why I like every other Square RPG; people coming together to stop The Big Bad™.

I haven't yet gotten to the end, but there's pretty much no interaction aside from meeting/recruiting a character. There is one thing. Every chapter gives you the chance to have the characters "chat" about the subject but there's no mention of this existing and to read them you have to specific members in the party at specific times. For all intents and purposes you're going through each story individually.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I must be mis-remembering, but does a nintendo online sub come with a discount on the online store or something?

Having a real hard time justifying it to myself for some shoddy p2p online play and nothing more.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Have people on 11.8 been getting bans yet?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Serenade posted:

I must be mis-remembering, but does a nintendo online sub come with a discount on the online store or something?

Having a real hard time justifying it to myself for some shoddy p2p online play and nothing more.

You also get access to a library of NES titles with online play added

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Serenade posted:

They've claimed that, like PS+ and Gold, there'll be subscription-based sales but who knows how that'll shake out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It says exclusive deals will be available to subscribers, which could mean almost anything. Optimistically this includes several weekly or monthly discounts like on PSN? For now the first exclusive deal is the opportunity to buy NES joycons.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Startyde posted:

It's moot imo since the thing doesn't support BT audio in the first place which is a god drat shame.

This is why the Genki people are the best.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

That must be what's throwing me off. I could have sworn there was a global 10% or something.

jivjov posted:

You also get access to a library of NES titles with online play added
Those aren't really anything of substance. One of them is Balloon Fight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Houle posted:

Went from being excited to having basically a Netflix version of Super Nintendo on the go to "oh, trickle drip NES games". Might just buy Mario 3 and Zelda for the 3DS and save the rest of what would have gone to online for another game or something.

How? They have said for one and a half years it is NES games.

Why did so many people think it was going to be SNES games and become shocked that it isn't?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Because people really want snes games and there's no reason for Nintendo not to do it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

The post game dungeon is 100% not worth playing and you should just read the text online. Hours of grinding and manipulating your gear loadouts.

Oh i meant the game was worth playing

I agree I should've just skipped the last dungeon :geno:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Al Borland Korn posted:

How? They have said for one and a half years it is NES games.

Why did so many people think it was going to be SNES games and become shocked that it isn't?

Because at one point it was SNES games.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I bought a 3ds at release thinking it would eventually play snes games. It did, but only through hackery long after I had gotten rid of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

That is incorrect. Reggie said in one interview that that were looking into the possibility of maybe adding snes games at some later date.

If they ever said it would be SNES games find a citation of that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

Wrong.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hey thats cool

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Al Borland Korn posted:

That is incorrect. Reggie said in one interview that that were looking into the possibility of maybe adding snes games at some later date.

If they ever said it would be SNES games find a citation of that.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14266290/nintendo-switch-monthly-games-not-free

quote:

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Anyone else think that Super Nintendo Entertainment System games would be perfect for the Switch?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They will likely release them eventually

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there is that UI for an snes-style controller, like that nes-style one that we just found out about

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
man gently caress the Nibelsnarf

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was way back when they were initially going to release exactly one game per month that would be gone before the end of the month. They rapidly changed it to a Netflix like service after everyone said how lovely that would be.

So yes, initially, they were saying that you would maybe get one SNES game in a given month that would no longer be playable the next month.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Al Borland Korn posted:

That was way back when they were initially going to release exactly one game per month that would be gone before the end of the month. They rapidly changed it to a Netflix like service after everyone said how lovely that would be.

So yes, initially, they were saying that you would maybe get one SNES game in a given month that would no longer be playable the next month.

That's why I said "at one point"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
When will the SNES stop being a selling point? I mean I can get it on an android tablet send it to my TV and use a bluetooth controller.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When the games stop being good, so never

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What the heck is the FF 15 Pocket? Is it a stripped down version?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yes, and it's bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They've stepped on FF15 super hard. That's the fishing and now the plot that they've sold separately as new games.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

They've stepped on FF15 super hard. That's the fishing and now the plot that they've sold separately as new games.

I'm ready for a truly next gen River King

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I said "at one point"

It was never a catalog of SNES games. For a brief time it was maybe one snes game. It's still ridiculous for anyone to see this service is NES games only and be surprised since they've been saying this for well over a year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Al Borland Korn posted:

It was never a catalog of SNES games. For a brief time it was maybe one snes game. It's still ridiculous for anyone to see this service is NES games only and be surprised since they've been saying this for well over a year.

I guess if you keep moving the goalposts you'll be technically right eventually.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It should have SNES games, because, I want there, to be SNES games on it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It should be the entire Advance War series, including the Famicom Wars games never released in the US, and nothing else, forever.

It's what I want, therefore it's the obvious best business decision for Nintendo to have made and they're morons for doing anything else.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

please don't mention advance wars :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zas posted:

please don't mention advance wars :(

Can I mention Wargroove?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Call me when Nintendo remasters Pokemon TCG only so I can hear the battle theme again

https://youtu.be/zfDxSEc5mDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Most NES games suck though. They picked a bad selection.

Put Recca on the Switch.

• Locked thread