Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The God Machine isn't really a good or bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, the God-Machine isn't Friend Computer; it's Friend Computer's boss's boss's sole shareholder. The example the Demon core book puts forth is that the G-M uses angels because trying to interact with individual human beings directly would be like trying to move exactly three molecules of dust from one side of the page to the other.

And if you take the opening fiction in the Demon Storyteller's Guide seriously there are middle management angels the size of galaxies, because even that scale is still angel work.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Currently weighing up a design choice. I'd like to group certain events in the owod timeline together into their own headings, but it throws out the rest of the flow sometimes (e.g. I've currently got the Great War years of 1919 - 1929 under their own special titles to flow directly from the Great War header, but the result is that you then leap from 1929 back to 1919 once the GW stuff ends)

I figure my options are to either fully divorce those groupings (it's more complex for the Reconnaisance era, which I use to seperately identify major events from 1450 to 1650 that belong properly to that sub-era (e.g. Lasombra claiming Hispaniola), from events that fall in the same years but don't concern the Reconnaisance), putting the specialized categories either before or after the relevant years (so for instance the WW2 chronology would either begin at 1939 or 1945, with the handful of unrelated events going before or after in the 'mainline' years of the same), or to put them into sidebars. Or, alternatively, place an indicator next to them and put them back into the mainline - or even scrap the whole thing.

Thoughts from people? Ideas for layout?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Alright, which of you numbskulls hosed up the infrastructure? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-15/mystery-surrounds-fbi-investigation-into-solar-observatory/10251316

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dunno, but I bet this is connected: http://time.com/5395932/gas-explosion-lawrence-andover-massachusetts/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

This weirds me out as it's straight up the premise of one of my favorite short stories, Will Murray's "The Sothis Radiant".

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Speaking as a Lawrence resident (though lucky enough to live in a corner of the city removed from the explosive pipeline – but with close family not so lucky), it has been kind of infuriating to see how like half the comments on news videos of this story are crank conspiracy theories about this being a smokescreen or a vast insurance scam or a hoax, because it can't just be capitalist corporatism causing negligence that takes lives and devastates already ailing communities.

More venting about those news videos than complaining about this post, I guess. "Capitalist corporatism causes amoral negligence to horrific result" is, after all, part of the God-Machine's metaphorical remit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think of the god machine as being in the same cognitive sphere as plants, that is, theres clearly something going on there but it might literally be unknowable to us

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Shockeh posted:

Casting the net wide: Is there a good mechanism now for finding WoD groups? Specifically that difficult phase of finding people that don't make you cringe and preferably in an age group? Everything around here (Brisbane, Australia) seems to be D&D, and I'd like to see if I can't play again.

I'm in Brisbane and I play WoD. I don't think I have space in my groups rn but I can add you on discord or some poo poo.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Down With People posted:

I'm in Brisbane and I play WoD. I don't think I have space in my groups rn but I can add you on discord or some poo poo.

That would be extremely cool; So far most of the groups I've found have been straight D&D, and the single group I found that wasn't was every bad RPG cliche at once, which put me off. Shockeh#5806

E: Incidentally, having been a GM way too many times, if there's no room but there are players, I'm happy to consider running something.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 16, 2018

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've settled on sidebars for the timeline document, and appendixes for a couple of other things - e.g. the events of UaBRM get a detailed appendix but a single point entry for the main line. It's an event people forget the seriousness of, with a death toll of at least 437 people over a week, of which a solid 80 were civilians. 1992's homicide rate, for comparison, was 943/year - so in a week nearly half a year's homicides mounted up, and even if we consider only the innocent bystanders, it moves to nearly 10th of the year's allotment.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Been watching this W20 writer play VtmB for the first time. Pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeueDjoBE-s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anybody catch the Geek & Sundry Vampire show? It is 5E, but I confess to some interest still.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dawgstar posted:

Anybody catch the Geek & Sundry Vampire show? It is 5E, but I confess to some interest still.

The one shot run by Jaffe?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sion posted:

The one shot run by Jaffe?

Nah, they got a whole show for it that started last week (I think). LA By Night. The NuWW Head of Community Jason Carl is the ST.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I wasn't around for the release of V5. Is it as bad as the previews made us fear?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Fascists are very angry about what they perceive as a bait and switch. So I'm going to say it's better.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, they got a whole show for it that started last week (I think). LA By Night. The NuWW Head of Community Jason Carl is the ST.

The first hour of it was pretty good, but I had to crash partway through. Apparently some stuff from in it (like how that game is presenting Vannevar Thomas, for example) are canon for V5. I kinda hate that, unless they're planning an LA by Night supplement at some point to address that in the same manner, since it won't be seen line-wide by being part of a game that's behind a paywall..

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That is an absurdly terrible decision if it's true, and also one that confirms that NWW's stance is basically 'well, in our games... so now also, your games!'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, I said some time back it felt like V5 was Swedracula's home game but published and that doesn't help matters any.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Loomer posted:

That is an absurdly terrible decision if it's true, and also one that confirms that NWW's stance is basically 'well, in our games... so now also, your games!'

Eh, I'm fine with the canon advancements in broad strokes, but something like this needs to be addressed in a book. It doesn't really invalidate LA by Night, but it'd be nice to have some of that addressed later on.

But, as stated by Jason, who is a dev for V5...

So YMMV really, but a lot of people are going to see that, and a lot of people are going to be like 'Huh? It's not in the book...'

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Why do people like Vannevar Thomas?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
He was broadly sympathetic in his novel as a prince who basically doesn't give a poo poo, just don't start any fires and please, please don't break the masquerade. Dude just wants to sit back and read books, not rule San Francisco as a despot.

Unrelated, I just put out a call on the OPP forum for content. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...our-old-offcuts

The short version is that if any of our regulars who've done work for WW/OPP have offcuts lying around that shed light on the setting, I'm keen to see them and incorporate them into the Project if appropriate. Likewise if anyone has copies of the stuff from the old forum and website that were lost to the passage of time and clarified things.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

EdithUpwards posted:

Fascists are very angry about what they perceive as a bait and switch. So I'm going to say it's better.

Got any links to this? NuWW pandering to fascists is a major problem I have with them, so I'd like to see any progress on that front

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The best thing White Wolf ever did.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Loomer posted:

Is... is that an actual whole entire comic?

I may have to read that.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Terrorforge posted:

Is... is that an actual whole entire comic?

I may have to read that.

It's the intro fiction to the Get of Fenris Tribebook first edition. So yes, it's real, but not an actual comic book series or anything.

And yes, it is exactly as glorious as that splash page would lead you to believe.

EDIT: You can read most of it in the preview for the book on DTRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/2384/Tribebook-Get-of-Fenris-1st-Edition?term=get+of+fenris&test_epoch=0&it=1

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 18, 2018

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tragically, when they did a bunch of oWoD comics they didn't think to do a few issues of Sergeant Rage and his Killing Commandos. I really wanted to see the next one, too, where Sgt. Rage meets Hitler.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
It's in direct contention with "Luke Cage collects his $200 from Doctor Doom" for most perfectly comic book story ever, IMO.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'd pay good money for a Sergeant Rage comic where he teams up with the frankly absurd numbers of Bone Gnawers that signed up to storm the beaches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somewhere each of us wanted Ron Spencer to draw Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos, and he went super literal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Somewhere each of us wanted Ron Spencer to draw Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos, and he went super literal.

Someone accidentally put in an extra R in the spec script.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Loomer posted:

"I MAY BE GET, YOU NAZI PIG"

I may beget?

I may be gotten?

I may get you?

I can't parse this at all...

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Cessna posted:

I may beget?

I may be gotten?

I may get you?

I think its "Get of Fenris"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Cessna posted:

I may beget?

I may be gotten?

I may get you?

Get of Fenris, a Werewolf Tribe that's all about brutal fighting and conflict and such, with many also supporting blood purity.

Basically, "I may be a werewolf nazi, but at least I'm not a literal nazi"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It was a problem with pre-revised Get of Fenris (particularly 1st edition) that they were portrayed as "I'm not a racist, It just so happens that all the people I hate are brown. And I think that they should die for that."

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Nazi Furries Werewolves gently caress Off

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ah, okay.

"I may be (one of the) Get (of Fenris), you Nazi pig," etc.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's too bad WoD isn't too friendly to crossovers. A Sgt. Rock and the Creature Commandos pastiche with WoD splats would be fun.