Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1041556802695921664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

ScoMo - "In the words of those most Excellent Dudes, Bill and Ted - Be Excellent to One Another"

scomo would watch bill & ted and think that teds father was right

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GoldStandardConure posted:

scomo would watch bill & ted and think that teds father was right

Or think the Drill Sergeant was onto something

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Scomo would think he was Rufus.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think I heard some spinning from George Carlin's grave

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I have to be reminded about the existence of fatman scoop and prime minister scott morrison in the same sentence, truly this timeline tailors a personal hell for us all. What's yours?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Liberals and their media arm are trying desperately hard to find a way to make a happy clapping torturer of children relateable to the yoof.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Scomo would think he was Rufus.

but he is actually De Nomolos

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.afr.com/news/federal-liberal-mp-ann-sudmalis-quits-over-branch-stacking-undermining-20180916-h15gi0

she is leaving, she’s being pushed out by some dude

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

I have to be reminded about the existence of fatman scoop and prime minister scott morrison in the same sentence, truly this timeline tailors a personal hell for us all. What's yours?

Donald Trump Juniors Instagram post defending attempted rape.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

hooman posted:

Donald Trump Juniors Instagram post defending attempted rape.

That's par for the course post 2016 global hellscape for me. ScoMo and Fatman is such a weirdly specific combination of dislikes that I'm checking the room for cameras.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Betoota Advocate series on 'Uncle' Tony Abbott is kind of incredible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Someone update the banking commission galaxy brain meme:

Guardian Au posted:

AMP has admitted to charging $1.3m in premiums for life insurance to more than 4,600 superannuation customers it knew had died, and admits the number of cases could be higher.

Charging dead people for life insurance.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Charging dead people for insurance was brought up earlier in the royal commission, I want to see what (if anything) the banks can come up with to top that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lizard Combatant posted:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Charging dead people for insurance was brought up earlier in the royal commission, I want to see what (if anything) the banks can come up with to top that.

Was it? I knew about charging dead people fees, but I must have missed that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

always surprised when public figure assholes turn out to be worse in private

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's not hard to justify stopping the boats as being good because all you really have to do is invent some outrageous number of lives saved per day in your addled brain.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

no

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1041572701381394432

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Only 33 sleeps

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

Only 33 sleeps

33? Pah.

It's at least like 50 for me.

#naplyfe

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My prediction is that it'll go to that lovely Phelps independent, Auspol and twitter will get excited about a no confidence vote, and then she'll join CA within a week and basically vote with the govt on 90% of legislation much like Sharkie.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/clive-palmer-supreme-court-judge-recused-queensland-nickel/10255160

quote:

Businessman Clive Palmer has succeeded in his bid to have a Supreme Court Judge in Brisbane recused from an upcoming trial related to the 2016 collapse of Queensland Nickel.

In his written judgement, Justice Bond rejected Mr Palmer's argument of actual bias against the mining magnate and former federal MP as "baseless".

Justice Bond concluded that because he had made an adverse finding against Mr Palmer and found his evidence was "implausible", there was a risk that future rulings might be seen as prejudiced.
"In this case, such an observer might reasonably apprehend that having expressed the view that I expressed about Mr Palmer's evidence in the passages I have identified … I might not bring an impartial and unprejudiced mind to the determination of future issues which involve whether Mr Palmer should be believed," he said.
Mr Palmer denied trying to delay proceedings and said it was not a case of "judge shopping".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/clive-palmer-splashing-cash-as-he-attempts-political-comeback/10243712

quote:

Clive Palmer is attempting a spectacular comeback into federal politics, promising to spend millions of dollars at the next election and trying to register the United Australia Party (UAP), which already has a senator and is recruiting candidates.
Expect to see plenty more of his "Make Australia Great" billboards popping up across the country, along with television and radio advertisements on high rotation.
Townsville in North Queensland is at the centre of Mr Palmer's political ambitions, despite him being a polarising figure there after the collapse of his nickel refinery.
Mr Palmer has said he is moving north and planning a possible run in the marginal seat of Herbert at the next federal election, against his bitter rival, Labor's Cathy O'Toole.

Mr Palmer is now suing Ms O'Toole for half a million dollars, claiming she defamed him in other comments she made about the collapse of Queensland Nickel.
Mr Palmer recently won another defamation claim, against Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill.

UAP is setting up a showdown with One Nation as both parties fight for disenfranchised voters on the political right.
UAP has been recruiting disgruntled former One Nation candidates, encouraging them to follow in the footsteps of its new senator, Brian Burston, who joined after he fell out with Pauline Hanson and her chief of staff, James Ashby.
The director of the refinery is still hiding somewhere overseas I think

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If it was for life insurance then they should make the banks pay out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Strawberry Saga has migrated to Bananas now

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

tithin posted:

The Strawberry Saga has migrated to Bananas now

copycat crime?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought they ran all this produce through a giant industrial metal detector. At least that's what they do to the meat.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Don Dongington posted:

My prediction is that it'll go to that lovely Phelps independent, Auspol and twitter will get excited about a no confidence vote, and then she'll join CA within a week and basically vote with the govt on 90% of legislation much like Sharkie.

Considering her campaign is not to block supply, this really shouldn't come to a surprise to Auspol. Twitter OTOH...

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Maybe

quote:

Queensland police are still unsure if the sabotage devastating the nation’s strawberry industry is the work of a single person or several people acting independently.

The crisis is spreading after metal needles were found in strawberries in Queensland, Western Australia and Tasmania.

Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said the investigation was complicated by the vast web of supply chains where the strawberries are produced and shipped to.

“There is a range of really complex scenarios which could play out here, and we’re looking at all of them, and that’s what’s taking the time,” he said on Monday.

The investigation was complicated further when a 62-year-old woman was caught putting a needle into a banana in central Queensland, in an apparent copycat act. It’s understood that the woman, caught at a shop in Mackay, has mental health issues.

In a statement police said they were treating it as an isolated incident without any links to other food contamination investigations.

The Queensland agriculture minister, Mark Furner, met with strawberry growers nervous about their future as the number of needle contamination cases grows to 10 and New Zealand food distributors remove Australian strawberries from their shelves.

Vice president of the Queensland Strawberry Growers Association, Adrian Schultz, says what started with a single “act of commercial terrorism” has now brought a multi-million-dollar industry to its knees, with jobs beyond the growers now likely to be lost.

“I’m angry for all the associated people, it’s the farmers, the people who supply them, the packaging people, the truckies with families to support, who suddenly lose their jobs ... it’s far-reaching,” he told ABC radio on Monday.

Growers met with Furner on Sunday to discuss the commercial effects of the contamination that began at a southeast Queensland farm eight days ago.

Furner says industry-specific assistance packages are being considered but no plan will be made until an understanding of the “complete effect” of the sabotage is understood.

“We won’t be coming up with any half-baked outcomes ... we need to listen to what is required,” he said.

There are around 150 commercial strawberry growers in Queensland.

Furner said a variety of generic government assistance packages were available and these would be offered to growers.

He said many growers were already experiencing economic stresses before the contamination began due to an oversupply of fruit, which had led to retail prices for a punnet falling to around $1.50.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Don Dongington posted:

yeah this, for real

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phelps is a fuckhead.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hambeet posted:

yeah this, for real

Nah

She'll join Bernardi's Party :getin:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nah

She'll join Bernardi's Palmer's Party :getin:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scott Morrison has an honesty problem:

quote:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has angrily denied cutting $1.2 billion in aged care funding as he announced a royal commission into the sector.

If people want to put questions, they are not allowed to put lies,” Mr Morrison told a journalist on Sunday who asked about the cuts.

The Prime Minister went back and forth with the reporter, as he insisted he had not, as treasurer, presided over the funding cuts in the 2016 budget.

“This is why I’m having a royal commission because I’m not going to put up with lies being told about what’s happening in the aged care sector,” Mr Morrison said.

“Policies must be based on facts, not the facts that are dreamt up, not facts that are misinterpreted, not the facts that have agendas sitting behind them.”

However, the 2016 budget said the government would “achieve efficiencies of $1.2 billion over four years” from federal funding paid to aged care providers.

Mr Morrison did not explain how this was a “lie”.

He may have been referring to the fact that some parts of aged care received small boosts in funding in that budget, such as $137 million for the My Aged Care web portal. The combined effect was a cut of $902.7 million in federal aged care funding over five years, according to health department estimates at the time.

Lmao "not allowed", never stopped you before Scotty.

Squidtits
Mar 30, 2004
Spank me, you know you wanna
Just did a ReachTel survey.
Asked what is my biggest concerns were, economic management, cost of living, immigration, policies that lead to growth or lead to wages growth were some of the choices for the first question.
Asked who I will vote for, if thats who I normally vote for, do I change my votes.
Asked which party I identify with even if I don't vote for them?!? (is that for all the poor people who vote against self interests with LNP?)

Then it got into the questions about trade unions, should they be involved in industrial relations, have I been in one, am I in one, anyone in the house in one, would I join one.

The questions were less leading than I expected and I am not sure who paid for this one. I figure its the LNP to point out how few people are in unions today.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

Phelps is a fuckhead.

She was a previous AMA president. Current AMA president is a Liberal fuckwit. Therefore she's a Liberal fuckwit. And that's my thoughts on the matter.

But I'd be keen to hear why you think she's a fuckhead JBP. I generally agree with most of your strong opinions.

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 17, 2018

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Last time Palmer got the one or two policies he wanted for his own personal benefit within weeks and then spent the rest of his time nodding off in the peaceful slumber known only to obese geriatric men (e.g. sleep apnea induced brain-destroying oxygen deprivation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

JBP posted:

Phelps is a fuckhead.

Are you Mike Carlton?

If so, loved your work on ABC 702 all those years ago.

• Locked thread