Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

By a very, very wide margin. There are literally dozens of good exclusives on the PS4, and it's well worth getting one.

Like the other guy said I meant PSNow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

Like the other guy said I meant PSNow

My bad :cripes:.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Not an emptyquote.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
Pouring out for my homie without a character model that spoke in garbled static. They did him dirty.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I noticed something thematically interesting in Blood Omen. Kain's major upgrades, save one exception (the shrine that makes you immune to rain) are offensive initially - attacking spells and items that kill enemies in inventive ways, and the first new weapon. It's not until you get to his Hometown that this changes.

In most situations a hometown represents a safe space for the character initially, somewhere thy can regroup (unless it's destroyed early on). Kain's hometown has been long wiped out by the plague, but in all that decay, due to his own undead nature, there is nothing left for him to condescend to: He's dead, and his hometown is too. Anyone he would have shittalked initially is not there to shittalk. All it is is death.

Due to Kain's caustic nature, this is, maybe not comfortable, but familiar. As such, his ravaged hometown still represents the one place in Nosgoth that feels like he does. As such, all the upgrades you get in the hometown are defensive. The reflect spell and the bone armour, finally Kain gets upgrades that, rather than destroying what's around him, try to protect him. He's been neglecting his personal comfort in his thirst for vengeance, and his hometown is still there to provide some, despite it's state.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I literally just began Blades of The Shogun and it has a mechanic that many games should have: A time that displays how long it has been since your last save

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yakuza 0 has arcades where you can play old Sega games, and not only do they give you three options for the screen size, you also get scanline overlays for each one. I really appreciate that level of care in one of many, many minigames.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
After making it my mission to repeatedly hunt down and shame a certain Olog in Shadow of War, I found out that if a Captain gets leveled down far enough (I sent him to level 1), he loses his title.

As soon as he ran off, he got punked by a Caragor that happened to be on the scene. I checked and he'd gained the weakness of instantly dying to beast attacks. Shame, I wanted him to just wallow in being sent that far down in level.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It's weirdly endearing playing The Division on a fresh character. Only having access to poor, low level guns that buck like a race horse with each shot is oddly satisfying after laser accurate death hoses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh my god the little ghost that represents Majima in the disco minigame has an eyepatch

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

graybook posted:

After making it my mission to repeatedly hunt down and shame a certain Olog in Shadow of War, I found out that if a Captain gets leveled down far enough (I sent him to level 1), he loses his title.

As soon as he ran off, he got punked by a Caragor that happened to be on the scene. I checked and he'd gained the weakness of instantly dying to beast attacks. Shame, I wanted him to just wallow in being sent that far down in level.
I did this as well, good to know I'm not the only one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I did this as well, good to know I'm not the only one.

I did it to a few orcs that pissed me off and one of them showed up as one of the enemy generals in the final battle. He gibbered insanely about how hungry he was because the shaming broke his mind and then some random orc on my side—not even a captain, just a grunt—shoved him to the ground immediately and cracked his head against the ground until he died.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

graybook posted:

If you follow one of the story mission sets to completion you get an ability you can toggle that powers up your shaming ability and also adds a chance of turning orcs into Maniacs that gain a ton of power levels but also just become reduced to a few incoherent yells/laughs. It makes them pretty much impossible to recruit with futher loving around to lower them back to a recruitable level but if you want to kill them for items/have fights that are actually challenging at higher levels it's a lot easier than trying to level up someone naturally.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

If you follow one of the story mission sets to completion you get an ability you can toggle that powers up your shaming ability and also adds a chance of turning orcs into Maniacs that gain a ton of power levels but also just become reduced to a few incoherent yells/laughs. It makes them pretty much impossible to recruit with futher loving around to lower them back to a recruitable level but if you want to kill them for items/have fights that are actually challenging at higher levels it's a lot easier than trying to level up someone naturally.

my bodyguard in one of the zones is a maniac, all he does is smile creepily and laugh. It's glorious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JPrime posted:

my bodyguard in one of the zones is a maniac, all he does is smile creepily and laugh. It's glorious.
My nemesis my first time through Shadow of Mordor did this, and each time I beat him he'd get more and more scarred and crazy. Since he was also a poison crossbow dude he even managed to kill me a few times, so finally taking him down was great.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, this was after I got that ability. It got easier taking him down to level one when I turned the ability on, haha.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh my god the little ghost that represents Majima in the disco minigame has an eyepatch

Kiryu's ghost has a frown.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JPrime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJQspGrp8A

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm playing A Hat In Time at the moment, and on one level of the movie studio world there's a bunch of crates that you can examine and they contain stuff like "Chekovs Guns" and "MacGuffins".

There's one point where it looks like there's two ways to go, but if you go the easier route you find nothing but a single crate you can examine. Inside the crate? Red Herrings :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Wrestlepig posted:

The greatest scene in the history of video games is when the helicopter turns up in Resident Evil 4 and ramps up into 80s movie levels of action and bromance for about 5 minutes, ending with the chopper getting shot down, which is treated with incredible pathos. There is absolutely no establishing that this will happen, and it has no impact afterwards. It owns.

RE4 is just so blatantly stitched together from a dozen different design concepts and yet the entire thing works anyway. It's "more than the sum of its parts" brought to a new level.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just realized that the reason the party of Final Fantasy XV are all dressed in black by default is probably in part because the characters gradually get dirtier over the longer you go without resting at an inn or camp, and that system looks much better with black outfits.

This game is basically made entirely of macro-level bad decisions, but the micro-level quality of life stuff is great. Being able to buy different FF soundtracks at different gas stations around the world is getting me more interested in continuing to play the game than the actual story is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Its a shame the game itself is kinda garbage because the setting is very unique. Its basically the American Southwest but with magitech and kingdoms and stuff. I dont think I've ever seen anything like it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
FFXV's story structure is great because it starts in media res and dumps all the boring poo poo about kingdoms with dumb names being at war and star crossed lovers pining for each other and magic forces involving crystals into a separate CGI movie and lets you get right to the good part where a group of lovable idiots run around a world map doing quests. It's like they actually listened to the complaints about XIII taking 30 hours of gibberish cutscenes and tutorials to actually get going.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guy Mann posted:

FFXV's story structure is great because it starts in media res and dumps all the boring poo poo about kingdoms with dumb names being at war and star crossed lovers pining for each other and magic forces involving crystals into a separate CGI movie and lets you get right to the good part where a group of lovable idiots run around a world map doing quests. It's like they actually listened to the complaints about XIII taking 30 hours of gibberish cutscenes and tutorials to actually get going.

Except that I would say it also failed, because it exported the reason to actually care about those 'lovable idiots' into a separate anime and DLCs.

My take-home from the party so far is that I hate all four of them, except for Prompto, which I hate even more. I've described them before as a party full of the party members I ignore in Persona games, and I'm sticking to that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ff15 is really good

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I love and will protect my stupid boyband

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

Except that I would say it also failed, because it exported the reason to actually care about those 'lovable idiots' into a separate anime and DLCs.

My take-home from the party so far is that I hate all four of them, except for Prompto, which I hate even more. I've described them before as a party full of the party members I ignore in Persona games, and I'm sticking to that.

I disagree - I mean sure, the dlc gave them more backstory and a spotlight for a bit, but the reason I ended up really liking the cast was because of the interactions they had with each other. I don't care about what they did beforehand, that doesn't influence my opinion of them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the idea of taking a cross country road trip as a bachelor party is a cool idea and makes a fun game, too bad the plot happens

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Side note but what's the deal with JRPG people having wacky hair. I get its fantasy and there's dinos and wizards and poo poo but why does everyone have such absurd grooming habits

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Convex posted:

Side note but what's the deal with JRPG people having wacky hair. I get its fantasy and there's dinos and wizards and poo poo but why does everyone have such absurd grooming habits

stiff angular clumps are easier to draw/animate is my guess

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Convex posted:

Anime tradition

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Convex posted:

A lot of what goes into a character design in anime stuff is marketing. There's a heavy emphasis on instantly recognizable designs which can include clothing but especially because there are times costumes change or whatnot tends to emphasis facial features. Distinctive hair allows for easy at-a-glance marketing for characters and translates easily to other styles (such as SD styles, as seen in FFXV Pocket Edition for example.)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Elfgames posted:

the idea of taking a cross country road trip as a bachelor party is a cool idea and makes a fun game, too bad the plot happens

Agreed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Convex posted:

Descended from manga practices, where everyone has a unique haircut and/or hair colour to make them recognisable.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ACtually its because the japanese are inherently unable to think in shapes other than straight lines and edges.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Biplane posted:

ACtually its because the japanese are inherently unable to think in shapes other than straight lines and edges.

I also read somewhere that their hair is actually tetrahedrons and as they get older it crystallizes in the shape we in the west call anime.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cleretic posted:

I just realized that the reason the party of Final Fantasy XV are all dressed in black by default is probably in part because the characters gradually get dirtier over the longer you go without resting at an inn or camp, and that system looks much better with black outfits.

This game is basically made entirely of macro-level bad decisions, but the micro-level quality of life stuff is great. Being able to buy different FF soundtracks at different gas stations around the world is getting me more interested in continuing to play the game than the actual story is.

It’s because the outfits were designed by an irl fashion designer my friend

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFXV has the most lovingly rendered food of any video game ever made. If there’s some kind of industry award for Best Food, it should definitely go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Someone who has clearly never laid eyes upon the food in Dragons Crown.