Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Imagined posted:

So my friend is running a sort of roguelike type game of Pathfinder with that loving huge hardcover Rappan Athuk book that was on kickstarter years ago. Anyway since the idea is to basically have disposable characters and he's not going to pull any punches and actually try his hardest to TPK us, I reeeeaaallly don't want to hassle with rolling my own level 4 characters. Paizo has a bunch of pregen level 4s, but they're not on normal sheets and they lack a lot of basic info you'd want, like Ability bonuses already mathed out, etc.

So I've been looking for other pregen characters, and basically my question/complaint is WHY THE gently caress DOES NO ONE WHO TALKS ABOUT CHARACTER BUILDS ONLINE ACTUALLY POST THEIR REAL CHARACTER SHEET. They talk about a few stats and what feats to take, but nobody posts their whole drat sheet so I can scratch their name off and write my name. Why isn't there a TTRPG type site like Icy-Veins but for D&D/Pathfinder/etc instead of WoW? Why is the internet not literally flooded with character sheets for me to steal?

IIRC Myth Weavers and other pbp forums used to have a bunch of character sheets on their site posted publically for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Imagined posted:

Why is the internet not literally flooded with character sheets for me to steal?

because WoW is hundreds of times more popular than tabletop RPGs

also because WoW operates on a consistent set of rules and at a consistent level of difficulty and rewards or punishes you based on whether you can live up to a fixed standard, while TRPGs are run by different people, often with content they made themselves, with inconsistent enforcement of rules and difficulty due to ignorance, ambiguity, or even deliberate fudging

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Imagined posted:

So my friend is running a sort of roguelike type game of Pathfinder with that loving huge hardcover Rappan Athuk book that was on kickstarter years ago. Anyway since the idea is to basically have disposable characters and he's not going to pull any punches and actually try his hardest to TPK us, I reeeeaaallly don't want to hassle with rolling my own level 4 characters. Paizo has a bunch of pregen level 4s, but they're not on normal sheets and they lack a lot of basic info you'd want, like Ability bonuses already mathed out, etc.

So I've been looking for other pregen characters, and basically my question/complaint is WHY THE gently caress DOES NO ONE WHO TALKS ABOUT CHARACTER BUILDS ONLINE ACTUALLY POST THEIR REAL CHARACTER SHEET. They talk about a few stats and what feats to take, but nobody posts their whole drat sheet so I can scratch their name off and write my name. Why isn't there a TTRPG type site like Icy-Veins but for D&D/Pathfinder/etc instead of WoW? Why is the internet not literally flooded with character sheets for me to steal?

Orokos should have a 4e sheet sharing option. I have some there but I'd like to browse and see some cool ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the way it usually goes with 3e and Pathfinder is that someone brags about how cool and multi skilled their character is and the system isn't broken at all, then when finally needled into posting their character sheet everyone laughs at it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There simply isn't a common template for character sheets.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

At level 4 just roll up a summoner and some wizards.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Just roll up". I don't really know Pathfinder and at this point in TYOOL 2018 I don't really want to learn. :(

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

PCGen is amazing if you don't want to drudge through the vagaries of the procedure. It can't really help you wade through the literal thousands of feat options though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zurui posted:

It can't really help you wade through the literal thousands of feat options though.

Yeah I did install PCGen and that's literally the stumbling block.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Imagined posted:

Yeah I did install PCGen and that's literally the stumbling block.

This'll take you through a summoner but yeah, it's a pain.

I don't remember what level the last pf game I was in ended but I'll share my summoner if they were at the last I played but I'll look it up later

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Does anyone here have a copy of Inheritance they're interested in selling? I wasn't able to get in on the Kickstarter at the time, but I'm in the market for one now for a local LARP group.

If there's a more relevant thread for this let me know.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Since mentioning other versions of d&d and d&d-alikes is verboten in the 5e thread and I really don't wanna just poo poo on it in the d&d thread I'll ask this here/rant about a game I played tonight.
Am I just really off base or is 5e just a mix of design goals that didn't mesh and in execution captures the worst of modern editions? I finally played a non-test packet version with an experienced dm who pregened us stuff. We were 4th level and it just felt unsatisfying. Even the character gen tool/CSes were pretty worthless since half of the stuff was 'consult book x'
I know plenty of people who have a whale of a time playing the game. Does this just kinda hammer home d&d was never the game for me and 4th was a fluke?
Like all the fun felt like it was in spite of our ruleset not because of it or amplified by it. But maybe that's just because I was a tank so didn't get to do much except hope the DM deigned to hit me, since I couldn't really force it with my paladin.
I can also totally drop this since it's been years since I posted in tg and I'm sure this has been litigated to death a billion times. It just feels like I'm crazy since I seemed to be the only one who noticed this at the table (and no I wasn't grogging out about why ~my editions~ were better. Though for reference everyone at the table had either played no d&d ever or last played 3x)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
5e is badly-designed garbage, yes, this is pretty well-known. It was born from regressive designers with bad tastes and worse design practices trying their best to drag D&D kicking and screaming back 30 years. It's a purely reactionary edition that exists because a bunch of idiots who work for WotC didn't like the fact that 4E was competently-designed, keyworded and laid out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah but it's so popular now. Like friends who never touched rpgs back in the day and even others who've tried everything and like a bunch of stuff even sing its praise. Which is why I thought maybe I was just really wrong. Although since some of those folks singing its praise are now literally sponsored by or got hired by wotc or other companies that really wanna raise up all TG publishers- I guess that should answer why to me.
I really just hoped it was a matter of 'oh yeah that was d&d 2 years ago. It's been majorly reworked since then and Mearls is long gone.' Or 'well you see level 5 is when tanks get to have fun too'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

Am I just really off base or is 5e just a mix of design goals that didn't mesh and in execution captures the worst of modern editions?

Yes.

5th Edition is basically a mishmash of badly-thought out houserules for 3rd Edition that they repackaged into a whole new game. The design is deliberately regressive (and bad) because it's a repudiation of mostly everything that 4th Edition stood for because the lead designer is a grognard that likes to pander to the worst elements of their fanbase.

EDIT:

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but it's so popular now. Like friends who never touched rpgs back in the day and even others who've tried everything and like a bunch of stuff even sing its praise. Which is why I thought maybe I was just really wrong. Although since some of those folks singing its praise are now literally sponsored by or got hired by wotc or other companies that really wanna raise up all TG publishers- I guess that should answer why to me.
It's popular because it's in print, it has a marketing budget, it exists at a time of heightened awareness because of the internet and because of youtube and twitch streaming specifically, and because a lot of the people who are very excited about either don't really know any better or don't approach the genre/hobby critically enough for it to matter.

Coolness Averted posted:

I really just hoped it was a matter of 'oh yeah that was d&d 2 years ago. It's been majorly reworked since then and Mearls is long gone.' Or 'well you see level 5 is when tanks get to have fun too'
You are never going to learn abilities that will let you "tank" as a mechanical gimmick.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 17, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

Nope. Play a different game if you want functional anything at all, unfortunately.

It's popular purely because D&D is a big brand, WotC are pushing the message that ~4E was complicated and didn't let you roleplay but 5e is simple/streamlined and encourages creativity~, and most people don't have the capacity to critically engage with mechanics and figure out why they suck (through no fault of their own, it's just not something that's ever really taught anywhere unless you go digging for lots of essays on design from indie designers).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 17, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

it turned out that nobody ever actually wanted good things

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but it's so popular now. Like friends who never touched rpgs back in the day and even others who've tried everything and like a bunch of stuff even sing its praise.

Weird how people who've never played anything but 5e instinctively know it's the best game ever.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Edit: wrong thread

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Really Pants posted:

it turned out that nobody ever actually wanted good things

Let me tell you about the spooooky story about the time somebody made over 9 million dollars selling Russian roulette as a card game. It's said, even now, you can find on the shelves of Target stores, and if you listen very carefully, you can hear the meowing of the collector's box in the distance.

You can't really fight mediocrity. Generally you can only really try to avoid it as best you can.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
has there ever been a time when the current edition of d&d wasn't the most popular rpg on the market?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

has there ever been a time when the current edition of d&d wasn't the most popular rpg on the market?

ah you see 4th edition was an abject failure and furthermore *posts chart drawn by Zdzislaw Beksinski*

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Brief window in the mid 90's saw white wolf eating late TSR's lunch. But it's hard to tell how much of that was just due to TSR's poor health combined with Vampire/WoD having a different emphasis.

Also didn't pathfinder overtake 4th at least during the 'lol game is dead check back in a few years for 5th' window? Since WotC didn't officially kill 4th then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

Also didn't pathfinder overtake 4th at least during the 'lol game is dead check back in a few years for 5th' window? Since WotC didn't officially kill 4th then.

This was largely because Mike Mearls, upon being given the reins of 4e, immediately did a 180 and shat out the Essentials books that turned Fighters back into power-attacking numbskulls, Wizards into fonts of ultimate power, refused to update the Warlord, turned loot back into random roll tables, turned treasure back into having rarity rules, and made an "ACTUALLY THIS IS THE REAL BAG OF HOLDING/PORTABLE HOLE/HEALING POTION" in a cynical attempt to pander to 3rd Edition diehards.

Not only did it not work because those dudes just kept playing 3e (or Pathfinder) anyway, it also pissed off everyone who already liked 4e just the way it was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The funny thing is, at one point Mearls was the public face of 4e, and completely unhinged people blamed him for everything and hated his guts.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Depending on what sources you use to measure sales, a handful have. I believe Vampire and Shadowrun beat out 2e in its dying days, and Pathfinder outsold 4e at some points. (A bone of contention here was the income from D&D Insider, which wasn't counted along with copies of physical 4e books.)

gradenko_2000 posted:

5th Edition is basically a mishmash of badly-thought out houserules for 3rd Edition that they repackaged into a whole new game. The design is deliberately regressive (and bad) because it's a repudiation of mostly everything that 4th Edition stood for because the lead designer is a grognard that likes to pander to the worst elements of their fanbase.
As near as I can tell, it's an improvement on 3e insofar as a new edition necessarily meant stripping away a lot of cruft, and changes in the market guarantee that not as many books will be published for 5e.

Still, if you put a gun to my head and made me play either 3e or 5e, I'd much rather hack out a usable game from 3e using the Book of Nine Swords and some other supplements.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 17, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

*posts chart drawn by Zdzislaw Beksinski*
wanna see that chart and spice up the next sales meeting

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but it's so popular now. Like friends who never touched rpgs back in the day and even others who've tried everything and like a bunch of stuff even sing its praise.

5e blows the minds of some people because it's an edition that shaved off some of 3e's complicated subsystems and replaced them with "DM's discretion". Which ultimately leads to one of two things: the DM making up whatever or simply letting a thing happen to minimize interactions with the rules (which is what a lot of popular podcasts are training new people to do), or the DM eyeballs the 3e SRD where those rules do exist and uses them as a guide for resolving stuff.

So basically you either end up some structured improv storytelling that's easier to get non-lit/acting nerds involved in, or "simpler" 3e rules. And that's enough to satisfy both camps.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

There simply isn't a common template for character sheets.

In a lot of games you can just use a character stat block because it’s all the same. Just copy out to a character sheet as a longhand format if you really must.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Arivia posted:

In a lot of games you can just use a character stat block because it’s all the same. Just copy out to a character sheet as a longhand format if you really must.

You could probably make standard RDF connectors for character sheets. Ultimately, they're just fields with subfields and most have very similar meanings between systems.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Let me tell you about the spooooky story about the time somebody made over 9 million dollars selling Russian roulette as a card game. It's said, even now, you can find on the shelves of Target stores, and if you listen very carefully, you can hear the meowing of the collector's box in the distance.

You can't really fight mediocrity. Generally you can only really try to avoid it as best you can.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
These Persona spinoffs are getting stranger with every iteration.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
"That's why it was very important that we put Chaotic Neutral alignments back in the game, on the list of 9 options that every player picks from when making a character."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ewen please get a license to translate Dracurouge because someone told me it's japanese VtM+Pendragon+Logh where you play as a "gay german vampire knight".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, hey, it looks like Jenna Moran week at Bundle of Holding this time around, with pretty much all of Chuubo and Nobilis 2e as a set. I didn't know that was going to be a thing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

wanna see that chart and spice up the next sales meeting

This one?

Tremek posted:

There’s a point in 2011 where 3/3.5 is nearly outselling - and then does outsell thereafter - 4e books. If that’s not rejection by consumers voting with their dollars, what would you call it?

Ps this data also never shows 4e outselling 3/3.5 but as it’s just Amazon it’s easy to admit much of the 3/3.5 books were sold B&M.

Kept the full quote because lol.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

kingcom posted:

This one?

Why do I smell toast?!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
These audio visualizers are getting weirder all the time.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I don't remember that Winamp plugin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kingcom posted:

This one?

I love sand art.