Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I don't even want to watch our conference games.

Our game next week.......woof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The next six weeks:

Florida
Georgia
BYE
Auburn
Alabama
South Carolina

I dont expect to win any of them

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The next six weeks:

Florida
Georgia
BYE
Auburn
Alabama
South Carolina

I dont expect to win any of them

Subscribe

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I don't even want to watch our conference games.

Same

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I work with a Tennessee fan and we're both pessimistic about the game this weekend. It's probably going to be another Gators-Vols slapfight.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The only way the Vols win is if we limit our turnovers and dominate the run game, just like every other Vols-Florida matchup for the last three decades. I don't think Tennessee does either.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Florida hasn't looked particularly fantastic this year. I could honestly see it go either way.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Despite my grumbling, I do have hope for the future :toot:

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 17, 2018

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Despite my grumbling, I do have hope for the future :toot:

Same. We could be FSU or Nebraska rn

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Very excited for Iowa and Wisconsin to drop the most hideous 9-7 game on a horrified nation in prime time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pakled posted:

It wouldn't cost much to buy out Johnson and I would assume not his staff either (GT has something like the second-lowest assistant salaries in the ACC) but our athletic department is in horrible fiscal shape. We're still paying off our ill-advised stadium expansion from 15 years ago and three men's basketball coaches. The fans want Paul Johnson gone but I don't know if the will exists at the AD to do it.

I assume if the boosters put their feet down, it'd happen, though.

StingTalk has a plan

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

StingTalk has a plan

Unironically would help the program a lot.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

StingTalk has a plan

Big Cry

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

i just watched part of urban meyer's interview on sportscenter and lol what a piece of poo poo

My exact reaction to it as well. I got about a minute and a half in before hearing some form of "it wasn't domestic violence" too many times and having to turn it off.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

My exact reaction to it as well. I got about a minute and a half in before hearing some form of "it wasn't domestic violence" too many times and having to turn it off.

I don't understand why ESPN is helping rehabilitate Urban. I guess they're planning on employing him again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't understand why ESPN is helping rehabilitate Urban. I guess they're planning on employing him again

Maybe because OSU is typically their biggest ratings draw, I guess? Whatever the reason it's been really gross

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
But I thought ESPN was biased against Urban and Ohio State?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

But I thought ESPN was biased against Urban and Ohio State?

A lot of this seemed to be from people who somehow think McMurphy still works for them lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
General Dog's ESPN's Bottom Ten

1) Butt UTEP (BUTTEP), 0-3 - Even the biggest pervert wants no part of these miners.
2) Butt New Mexico State, 0-4 - The most ill-advised attempt at independence since 1861
3) Butt Old Dominion, 0-3 - To paraphrase Sara Barielles, anyone who lays claim to this Old Dominion can hardly be said to be king of anything.
4) CMU Cow-Chippewas, 0-3 - The worst Chips not involving Dax Sheppard
5) Buttgers, 1-2 - Pack it in Ryan Reynolds- the Scarlett nights are over, and these Scarlet Knights are a meager substitute
6) Butt Arkansas, 1-2 - These Hogs were bred for slaughter
7) Butt Colorado State, 1-3 - These Rams assuredly do not have a hemi
8) Poo-C-L-A, 0-3 - Another joke about the film adaptation of C.H.I.P.S. Chip Kelly has lost it, Dax Sheppard is not funny.
9) Butt Florida State, 1-2 - It would take another Inidan Removal Act to get this team from the 20 to the endzone.
10) The Fans - Turn on your monitor ;)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

FSU is a double digit favorite against NIU next week.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

Seems like a lot of points for an offensive line that couldn't block Samford against a team with a DE who led the country in sacks and TFL last year

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dilber posted:

So of course FSU will win 50-3 and get shut out next weekend.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Georgia Tech is 100% the program that needs to go in and just give kiffin whatever he wants to disrupt the whole conference

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Should probably wait and see if Kiffin is actually any good this year withour Briles calling plays for him first. Also probably don't hire the guy who though it was okay to give Briles a second chance, even if he happens to be funny on Twitter imho

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

Should probably wait and see if Kiffin is actually any good this year withour Briles calling plays for him first. Also probably don't hire the guy who though it was okay to give Briles a second chance, even if he happens to be funny on Twitter imho

I'd rather put Kendall briles in charge than some coach that thinks it's ok to give all his players rhabdo tbqh

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I kind of think that should be UVA, but it's possible that UVA could make a bowl game this year and keep Mendenhall there for at least a few years.

Unrelatedly, is there a point in which Rutgers is so bad they are tossed from the conference like when the Big East threw out Temple? Maryland has some upside with location, facilities, regional talent, and the right coach could make them a regular 8 win team, but Rutgers is probably never going to be better than like 2-10. Rutgers exists simply to funnel wins to the rest of the conference and recruits to Penn State.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 17, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

I'd rather put Kendall briles in charge than some coach that thinks it's ok to give all his players rhabdo tbqh

This is certainly a take I guess

(I have said a bunch of times Iowa should have fired that strength coach)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 17, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT's problem is recruiting. The combination of really rigorous academics and extremely limited majors means we're never going to be able to recruit at even an average level for the conference. Paul Johnson's flexbone option gave us the ability to do more with less talent (at the cost of a lower ceiling) but that's kind of fallen apart in recent years. Barring flagrantly disregarding NCAA rules, we're just not going to attract the talent necessary to regularly compete for conference titles. I don't know what to do about this.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

GT will probably rarely if ever win the conference, but they can still be competitive. I look at Northwestern as an example of that (although perhaps Fitzgerald is running out of steam).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

GT will probably rarely if ever win the conference, but they can still be competitive. I look at Northwestern as an example of that (although perhaps Fitzgerald is running out of steam).

Northwestern has been butt this season but they won 10 games literally just last year

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Raku posted:

"Do you like functional kidneys? We got lots of donors here, and they LOVE football players."

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

Northwestern has been butt this season but they won 10 games literally just last year

I somehow managed to not realize this, probably because Penn State won easily last year, and I am not used to that, so I thought NW just sucked.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pakled posted:

GT's problem is recruiting. The combination of really rigorous academics and extremely limited majors means we're never going to be able to recruit at even an average level for the conference. Paul Johnson's flexbone option gave us the ability to do more with less talent (at the cost of a lower ceiling) but that's kind of fallen apart in recent years. Barring flagrantly disregarding NCAA rules, we're just not going to attract the talent necessary to regularly compete for conference titles. I don't know what to do about this.

Stanford regularly competes for the Pac-12, and has stricter academic requirements than GT. Why couldn’t GT be that good with the right hire?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Komet posted:

I kind of think that should be UVA, but it's possible that UVA could make a bowl game this year and keep Mendenhall there for at least a few years.

Unrelatedly, is there a point in which Rutgers is so bad they are tossed from the conference like when the Big East threw out Temple? Maryland has some upside with location, facilities, regional talent, and the right coach could make them a regular 8 win team, but Rutgers is probably never going to be better than like 2-10. Rutgers exists simply to funnel wins to the rest of the conference and recruits to Penn State.

The Rutgers illinois rubber match this year is very exciting . Series currently tied at 1-1 since Rutgers joined the big 10,and they didn't play when Rutgers started strong and best Michigan and whatnot that first year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Godzilla07 posted:

Stanford regularly competes for the Pac-12, and has stricter academic requirements than GT. Why couldn’t GT be that good with the right hire?

Stamford has a national brand with their academics that they've been able to use pretty well under Shaw, I don't think GT can do the same. On the other hand they don't really need to given their location. I know everyone in the SEC hits the Atlanta area hard and it's even harder to recruit now with the recruiting machine Smart has built in Athens, but you'd think GT could still do better being in the heart of an area that's getting up there with Florida, Texas, Southern California, etc in terms of the amount of talent it produces.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Godzilla07 posted:

Which is why I also mentioned limited majors. Stanford has a much wider variety. GT doesn't have much outside of STEM fields. Notably, every degree from Georgia Tech requires at least one semester of calculus, which I don't think is true of any other school in the FBS. That scares away a lot of kids.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dango Bango posted:

Maybe I heard it wrong but it also sounded like Urbz was putting a lot of blame for his “ignorance” about what happened onto his wife.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The Georgia Tech academic excuse rings a little hollow when I consider that the 1990 team went unbeaten and defeated Nebraska in their bowl game. Headwinds, sure, but I don't think it is crippling. They have degrees in Business Administration, Public Policy, History Technology & Society, Applied Language & Intercultural Studies, and Psychology. It's not all slide rule geeks with pocket protectors.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

Which is why I also mentioned limited majors. Stanford has a much wider variety. GT doesn't have much outside of STEM fields. Notably, every degree from Georgia Tech requires at least one semester of calculus, which I don't think is true of any other school in the FBS. That scares away a lot of kids.

A) tech does have communications and media majors just like everyone else to shoehorn athletes into, and the “athlete” caucus is a survey of calculus which looks like pre-calc and a half based off the course guide

B) UGA vs. Tennessee is set for a 3:30 game on CBS the 29th lmbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe I heard it wrong but it also sounded like Urbz was putting a lot of blame for his “ignorance” about what happened onto his wife.

That is the go to move nowadays

• Locked thread