Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Basticle posted:

It not necessarily horror, but did you guys know Swery was making a new game? (I didn't) Its out October 11th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7fqQK0bl_U

I was fully expecting The Good Life, not...what I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
That looks like a game with a mystery where gameplay based around solving platforming puzzles while brutally dying in all sorts of dismembering manners, so I'm not quite sure why you say it's "not necessarily horror." It sure as hell seems like one!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is an extensive review by someone who has played quite a bit. Spoiler and content warning for the subject matter in the game, of course.

It seems like the game wants to say something about child abuse and abuse in general (particularly the disproportionate abuse suffered by women), but then it falls flat on its rear end by not having the protagonist or the villagers realize they're loving awful or face consequences. Plus the twist ending is bizarre and stupid.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The fact if you attempt to complete the tutorial with good-aligned choices gives you a game over (if I recall what I read a couple days ago correctly) is an immediate pass for me.

rudecyrus posted:

It seems like the game wants to say something about child abuse and abuse in general (particularly the disproportionate abuse suffered by women), but then it falls flat on its rear end by not having the protagonist or the villagers realize they're loving awful or face consequences. Plus the twist ending is bizarre and stupid.

Maybe it’s because I recently read some healthcare materials on caring for and encouraging disabled children specifically in rural villages but I was even more disgusted with the game when the daughters were described because in a whole different game I’d enjoy helping them with their unique forms so they could have a fulfilling life. And while it’s been a long time since high school Lit classes the twist fundamentally misunderstands the best known version of the material it’s based on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s crazy that Tecmo Deception 20 years later is the still one of the more nuanced games when it comes to moral choices. Some people are hell bent on murdering you but letting people escape means you miss out on gold and magic so you’re handicapped for doing the right thing but the game never admonishes you for giving into Satan.

I thought that game would be closer to Princess Maker where you can abuse your magic daughter but the game has like 100 endings to reflect every choice you could make, good or bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
That doesn't sound very nuanced

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is cultist simulator good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

That speaks more about video games as a whole than a 20 year old ps1 game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

At one point you get to choose whether to you let your fiance escape your castle or murder her and turn her corpse into a zombie that is one of the best damage dealing summons in the game.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The fact if you attempt to complete the tutorial with good-aligned choices gives you a game over (if I recall what I read a couple days ago correctly) is an immediate pass for me.

Yep. If you just sit there for a period of time and not click on the (literal) Sacrifice button, that triggers one of the two suicide endings because "Faust can't bring himself to destroy his creation." (And since your first is a tree girl, if you click you're treated to a drawing of him chopping her up with an axe. I think I forgot to mention that each girl type gets her own way of being murdered, complete with illustrations and scream sounds. Mummy get thrown in an electric chair, mermaid gets run through with her own trident, etc.)

Speaking of one of the six ways the game ends, I forgot to rant about another reason to hard pass (as if you needed it at this point): the second suicide one is triggered by not caring for your daughter's corpse and she rots away to the point of being unable to hold the soul. You have to avoid this throughout the demo and full game by buying preservation balm and raw meat at the town store. Then you go home, combine them, and it's made clear that...you're rubbing down her dead body with it.

(I'm cringing as hard as you are right now.)

I think Discendo Vox wasn't far off with the speculation about the gendered element being a massive warning sign and "it reads a lot like a fetish thing."

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

It's a well written plate spinning game. That's not really an insult, it's very openly about managing a bunch of timers (hunger, stress, detectives, etc.), and early on you can get so obsessed with progress you maybe forget you need to deal with the cops or go make money to eat. There's also a few traps (like Fascination) that you can see coming that will absolutely ruin your game until you figure out how to deal with them.

It's main problem is that it's a cultist simulator, so progression is based on some obtuse occult logic. I haven't finished a full run because I hit a point where I mastered plate spinning but couldn't figure out how to get to any of the deeper mysteries, and by the time that I had I got distracted by other games. Something I wanna return to though. But I'm already a fan of Alexis Kennedy's writing, and if that isn't interesting to you then I dunno how much a game about timers and poo poo will keep your attention.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 16, 2018

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I'll assume this was a genuine attempt to say something, though if it was anything more than "the world really sucks" and "poo poo, I couldn't think of a good ending," I can't tell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tired Moritz posted:

it is, if you like the style of writing that goes into it and won't mind playing a vaguely relaxed timer-based game then i recommend it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Vaguely Relaxed" is the perfect way to describe Cultist Simulator

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

"Vaguely Relaxed" is the perfect way to describe Cultist Simulator

I like the idea of a bunch of cultists trying to summon The Shape From Beyond The Stars or whatever, but getting too involved in their Call of Duty tournament to finally read the last chapter of the occult texts written by the Madman.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Knowing nothing about what the gently caress your doing as a cult plays so well into the idea of the game itself it's great.

I do wish Alexis Kennedy would write a game that's accessible, I wanted to love Fallen London and Sunless Sea but...eh at least Cultist Sim is a loving blast

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Blockhouse posted:

not a horror game but this is the same reason I find spec ops: the line to completely fail in its one gimmick

Okay I know this is unrelated to the topic of the thread but I hate when this argument comes up with regards to spec ops: the line. The number of people saying that the message falls flat because the game makes you do the bad things and then points out that they're bad is loving stupid. The whole point of the game is pointing out how often in those sorts of games you just run through the motions of running around shooting brown people with little concern for why you're doing it, and then the game ends with "Hey, why did you do all those things?" This is not supposed to be an indictment of you as a player because you played the video game, it's to point out to you "Hey, you just played a game all about killing people for no good reason and you did a bunch of terrible things. This is what a lot of video games are. Think about that thing." The fact that a large crew of people are just so hung up on the fact that a game might have hurt their little feelings by almost sorta kinda maybe implying they could be bad (even though that's not even the point remotely) drives me nuts.

Child abuse simulator is bad though, this is not a defense of that game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I can still only play RE7 VR 20 mins at a time before having to turn the system off.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Glagha posted:

Okay I know this is unrelated to the topic of the thread but I hate when this argument comes up with regards to spec ops: the line. The number of people saying that the message falls flat because the game makes you do the bad things and then points out that they're bad is loving stupid. The whole point of the game is pointing out how often in those sorts of games you just run through the motions of running around shooting brown people with little concern for why you're doing it, and then the game ends with "Hey, why did you do all those things?" This is not supposed to be an indictment of you as a player because you played the video game, it's to point out to you "Hey, you just played a game all about killing people for no good reason and you did a bunch of terrible things. This is what a lot of video games are. Think about that thing." The fact that a large crew of people are just so hung up on the fact that a game might have hurt their little feelings by almost sorta kinda maybe implying they could be bad (even though that's not even the point remotely) drives me nuts.

Agreed. And on top of that, I really enjoyed that 'you are the demons jon' twist. It was refreshing at the time it came out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Glagha posted:

I generally agree with you but Spec Ops was totally an indictment of the player. The loading screens had messages saying "this is all your fault, all of it", idk how much clearer you can get than that

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
My Lovely Daughter really does feel exploitative. If their message is 'child abuse bad' why would you go such a direct and blunt route with the blood trailes and the nice little letters before brutally murdering them and it's all just...I dont know it doesnt feel like theres a message at all. Even so, I'm not sure why a 'child abuse is bad' game even needs to be made. Like, use it as a theme sure if you're telling that kind of story but everyone knows its loving bad so why make a sim for it?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 17, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CharlestonJew posted:

I generally agree with you but Spec Ops was totally an indictment of the player. The loading screens had messages saying "this is all your fault, all of it", idk how much clearer you can get than that

I've gone over it a ton, but one of the devs said that a victory was literally just turning the game off and not engaging with it.

:rolleyes:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

I've gone over it a ton, but one of the devs said that a victory was literally just turning the game off and not engaging with it.

When the main point of the game is "let's not treat war like a fun time adventure where everyone wins" and a general indictment of "oorah you the war hero man" type war media, yes turning off the video game and walking away is a valid ending to your experience with the game. Especially since it keeps telling you to do that, or that you can do that if you'd like, or asking you why you haven't done that yet.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CharlestonJew posted:

There is a distinction between accusing the player as a method of making a point and accusing the player as in "you are actually a bad person for playing this game." The whole idea is to point out to the player that war games often have really troubling messages that are then consumed without thinking and that this game, like many games like it, just had you do a bunch of really awful poo poo without question and the whole accusation at the end is to provoke thought about it, not to say "lol why didn't you turn off the game idiot" (even if one of the creators said that, that doesn't mean that's actually the message of the game)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dogstile posted:

Yeah, this is the point I was making in my previous post. If a game presents you with an ethical dilemma and the only ethical option is to not play this game, it's a meaningless contrivance. There are unavoidable ethical dilemmas in life, and I don't plan on resolving them by offing myself.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TGLT posted:

When the main point of the game is "let's not treat war like a fun time adventure where everyone wins" and a general indictment of "oorah you the war hero man" type war media, yes turning off the video game and walking away is a valid ending to your experience with the game. Especially since it keeps telling you to do that, or that you can do that if you'd like, or asking you why you haven't done that yet.

That'd be a valid argument if the game was free to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can see what SpecOps was trying to do, but I don't really think I'm the kind of player the game was trying to reach, so to me the fourth wall-breaking elements came off as tedious. I also dislike didactic messages in games as a general rule and would much prefer to participate in the retelling of the story than have it moralized to me. What I'm trying to say here is that Shadow of the Colossus did everything better.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't get how people can't wrap their heads around intended play and message sometimes conflicting with the actual text of the game. No one actually wants you to turn off the game, they want you to play it all so you can hit the ending and the thesis statement for the whole game. The whole "why did you do this" messaging of the game and the scolding is not supposed to tell you you're bad or present a dilemma for you to make the "right choice" on, it's to make you think about "hey why is funtime murder simulator" such a common genre that we consume without thought. Holy poo poo stop getting hung up on the game scolding you.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Glagha posted:

Holy poo poo stop getting hung up on the game scolding you.

I would understand people not wanting to spend money to be scolded.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can understand it too. I also think that's stupid.

edit: More on topic, do people get offended about Silent Hill 2 because you didn't have the choice to secretly be a bad person in that game too? Is it better because it doesn't break the fourth wall?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That'd be a valid argument if the game was free to play.

I mean it's a valid argument because it's what they were doing, even if the game might have been more effective or more likely to have that impact had it been handled differently.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:heysexy:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Glagha posted:

I can understand it too. I also think that's stupid.

edit: More on topic, do people get offended about Silent Hill 2 because you didn't have the choice to secretly be a bad person in that game too? Is it better because it doesn't break the fourth wall?

In Silent Hill 2 the player accepts that their participation is a retelling of James' story, not as an outside actor with an illusory sense of control. It's also a much better game than SpecOps: The Line.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I know people who would pay a lot of money to be scolded

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I should have specified in a game in that post

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

My Lovely Daughter really does feel exploitative. If their message is 'child abuse bad' why would you go such a direct and blunt route with the blood trailes and the nice little letters before brutally murdering them and it's all just...I dont know it doesnt feel like theres a message at all. Even so, I'm not sure why a 'child abuse is bad' game even needs to be made. Like, use it as a theme sure if you're telling that kind of story but everyone knows its loving bad so why make a sim for it?

Frankly I think part of the appeal from a wholly non-sexual standpoint is so players can think about what *good* people they are, after all they feel bad for the girls and the situation and would *never* commit abuse themselves, and can nod sagely and pat themselves on the back for Being a Good Person (since this is Just a Game and That Doesn’t Matter). They’re reassured their morals are Right and can continue their lives without considering how engaging with media can unconsciously impact both individuals and systems.

There’s also the reviewer who shared despite the awfulness they found catharsis in a vague way because of their own history of abuse, sadly that’s going to be a non-zero number of people, but I’d also think another large group would find the content upsetting and triggering.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

I don't get how people can't wrap their heads around intended play and message sometimes conflicting with the actual text of the game. No one actually wants you to turn off the game, they want you to play it all so you can hit the ending and the thesis statement for the whole game. The whole "why did you do this" messaging of the game and the scolding is not supposed to tell you you're bad or present a dilemma for you to make the "right choice" on, it's to make you think about "hey why is funtime murder simulator" such a common genre that we consume without thought. Holy poo poo stop getting hung up on the game scolding you.

there was one guy in the Spec Ops LP thread who wrote nearly twenty thousand words lambasting it

that game broke people's brains with a fierceness

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Writing about video games is a weird space where people actually think it's necessary to write an essay about why Kai Leng is bad.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I think what makes SpecOps fall flat is that it was a game designed entirely around negative reinforcement. It's entirely based around telling the player to stop being bad, instead of being like "hey here's some ways to be not bad that are good."

It's still better than that other game. though, because it's not someone's fetish game that they decided to sell to the public and pretend it had a message.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gloomy Rube posted:

I think what makes SpecOps fall flat is that it was a game designed entirely around negative reinforcement. It's entirely based around telling the player to stop being bad, instead of being like "hey here's some ways to be not bad that are good."

this is, in fact, its greatest strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Gloomy Rube posted:

It's still better than that other game. though, because it's not someone's fetish game that they decided to sell to the public and pretend it had a message.

I'm torn by it either being a fetish project or a games version of a 'made for Oscars' movie hoping for thoughtful think pieces and buzz