Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Lol at the new student ID card feature.

Never lose your wallet at a frat party and get locked out of your dorm again!

It's only a matter of time before colleges start requiring students to have apple watches...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope us Series 3 havers will get these new faces. :negative:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Disabling Raise to Speak Siri was about all I needed to fix with WatchOS5, which seems a lot like a more filled out WatchOS4. I’m ok with that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does watchOS 5 do anything worth mentioning for anything older than the brand new watches? This is the update that allows homemade/custom watch faces, right?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Vintersorg posted:

I hope us Series 3 havers will get these new faces. :negative:

There are some new watch faces for S3 in WatchOS5, however, they are not the new high density ones that the S4 will get. I don’t think there are enough pixels to do it well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: My watch bugged out and now waitin for update. So just the first screen is showing that says like, Aluminum Case and the model. Update says hours as the servers are slow.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The first thing I got was a modal error that gave me the options "Start Over" or "Try Again"...

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Speaking of complications, the solar face has two now. There also appears to be a little dot thing in the top center that opens Now Playing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

ManSedan posted:

Speaking of complications, the solar face has two now. There also appears to be a little dot thing in the top center that opens Now Playing.

yesssssss

I can't believe it. 5 years later and it gets one.

I'm a photographer, and am frequently shooting new offices at dawn, I use solar constantly, and wished I could add 1 or 2 things.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah but the “complications” to switch between modes of the Astronomy face are gone. :(

Is there any way now to switch from, say, Earth to the orrery without having to go in and customize the watch face?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Updating series 2 watch and it's taking 12 hours

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fourwood posted:

Yeah but the “complications” to switch between modes of the Astronomy face are gone. :(

Is there any way now to switch from, say, Earth to the orrery without having to go in and customize the watch face?

Just make two faces that are customized how you like and swipe between them?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My S3 took 3.5h to update lmao

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
my download took 2 hours, but then it updated in 6mins while I was in the shower

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't understand. What is the difference between the the regular Apple Watch for $399 and the Apple Watch Nike+, also for $399? I'm assuming the boring nike watch face isn't permanent and built in so are these literally the same watch but in different packaging?

Edit: I didn't notice the difference in color in the bands but is that all there is?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't understand. What is the difference between the the regular Apple Watch for $399 and the Apple Watch Nike+, also for $399? I'm assuming the boring nike watch face isn't permanent and built in so are these literally the same watch but in different packaging?

Edit: I didn't notice the difference in color in the bands but is that all there is?
Looking at the apple site, the Nike+ version has some exclusive watchfaces built-in, some pre-installed Nike+ apps and a reflective watch band.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That and the backside which you’ll never see while in use got a little Nike logo somewhere but other than that, it’s the same.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Kins posted:

Looking at the apple site, the Nike+ version has some exclusive watchfaces built-in, some pre-installed Nike+ apps and a reflective watch band.

Zwille posted:

That and the backside which you’ll never see while in use got a little Nike logo somewhere but other than that, it’s the same.

So the Nike+ watch is actually "better" than the regular watch because it has exclusive watch faces that the regular one can't download? There's no gaudy Nike logo or anything that would be visible?

e: I mean "better" is subjective but here I meant that the Nike+ watch can do everything the regular watch can do and more?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

So the Nike+ watch is actually "better" than the regular watch because it has exclusive watch faces that the regular one can't download? There's no gaudy Nike logo or anything that would be visible?

e: I mean "better" is subjective but here I meant that the Nike+ watch can do everything the regular watch can do and more?

Yeah, the Nike version has all the standard watchfaces plus some exclusive to the Nike edition, that regular watches can never download. I wish the Apple Store employee that I asked this exact question to last year knew this, but by the time I’d opened my regular one it wasn’t worth returning it just for some watchfaces.

Edit: plus the band which you can now buy separately I think.

Froist fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 18, 2018

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Seems they outsourced translations or something. The weather complication in 5 shows the current weather as “ungesund”, which translates to “not healthy”. I’m stumped as to what they actually mean. Did they hire Carrot’s translators?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Managed to get my watch updated in time to go for a run.

I like the new rolling pace but with five bits of info on the screen they’re looking a bit small on the screen of my 42mm watch - especially when trying to read when running.

Would be nice if they got rid of the unnecessary time and workout icon and expanded everything to fit the space.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So the lift to speak to Siri seems a bit rubbish.

It's worked once for me so far :confused:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

Seems they outsourced translations or something. The weather complication in 5 shows the current weather as “ungesund”, which translates to “not healthy”. I’m stumped as to what they actually mean. Did they hire Carrot’s translators?

Are you sure the complication is from Weather and not Health??

Seriously though that’s a weird mistranslation. Could it have been a warning about UV levels maybe?

Pitwar posted:

So the lift to speak to Siri seems a bit rubbish.

It's worked once for me so far :confused:

The feature sounds cool but I’d be too worried about accidentally triggering it all the time.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Zwille posted:

Sounds like an air quality comment?

Not sure what the complication says, but I’ve seen “unhealthy for sensitive groups” on the iPhone weather app.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there a stopwatch in the Workout app or can you access the standalone stopwatch whilst using the app? I find it easier to use a stopwatch between my sets instead of having to remember that I finished the last set at hour:23s etc.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you sure the complication is from Weather and not Health??

:laffo:

fourwood posted:

Sounds like an air quality comment?

Not sure what the complication says, but I’ve seen “unhealthy for sensitive groups” on the iPhone weather app.

A friend of mine pointed out he saw it in the stock phone weather app too. Just now it's showing "Ungesund/Empfindlich" which translates to "Not healthy/Sensitive" (although it kinda sounds like "touchy" to be quite honest) and the phone app says "Ungesunde Luft für empfindliche Gruppen/unhealthy air for sensitive groups" so that's an explanation. Really weird tho. We had a kinda hot summer and that never ever popped up. Also a weird way to show it on the watch because it's useless, but eh, makes sense in a roundabout way.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Updated last night and WOW the series 3 feels a whole lot faster. I like they added a hiking workout as it seems to track calories better. Also if you leave the summary open instead of dismissing it the watch isn't dog slow when you go back and try to start another workout later.

Overall a vast improvement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Froist posted:

Yeah, the Nike version has all the standard watchfaces plus some exclusive to the Nike edition, that regular watches can never download. I wish the Apple Store employee that I asked this exact question to last year knew this, but by the time I’d opened my regular one it wasn’t worth returning it just for some watchfaces.

Edit: plus the band which you can now buy separately I think.

You’ve been able to buy the Nike bands separately for a while now (since the S2 I think).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone gotten Walkie-Talkie to work? My girlfriend and I have been trying to connect each other, but mine was saying she wasn't able to connect, and hers sends me the request but doesn't get to me. We've both rebooted and now neither of our Watches show any contacts at all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the connection is kind of janky for me as well.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Has anyone gotten Walkie-Talkie to work? My girlfriend and I have been trying to connect each other, but mine was saying she wasn't able to connect, and hers sends me the request but doesn't get to me. We've both rebooted and now neither of our Watches show any contacts at all.

Spoke with a friend on it last night, he had to send the invite twice. Tested with my wife and it was flawless.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Sending text messages with Siri on the watch is weird. After showing me the message it has transcribed, there's a "Don't Send" button but no "Send" button? :confused:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah it's weird. I just hit the crown to go back to the clock and it sends it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's weird to me that Apple didn't add native sleep-tracking to the Series 4. Seems like a bog standard feature on every smartwatch/fitness tracker and, while paying three bucks for an app to do that isn't a huge ask, it does stick out on a $500 device.

I have to assume it's because they didn't improve the battery life so they expect you to charge it overnight.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It's weird to me that Apple didn't add native sleep-tracking to the Series 4. Seems like a bog standard feature on every smartwatch/fitness tracker and, while paying three bucks for an app to do that isn't a huge ask, it does stick out on a $500 device.

I have to assume it's because they didn't improve the battery life so they expect you to charge it overnight.

Or maybe they feel it doesn't really work that well?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Did my first run today with the watch. The activity app has changed.

I run the same route around my block every time I run outside so I am acutely aware of exactly how long each lap is and the range of calories I should expect to burn depending on effort. Prior to watch OS 5, I would start my run app on my phone and the activity app on my watch and the watch always trailed the phone in terms of distance measured. Today on my run, the watch calculated the same distance but calculated a higher than expected number of calories burned(381) vs. the normal range of (325-340).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spoon daddy posted:

Did my first run today with the watch. The activity app has changed.

I run the same route around my block every time I run outside so I am acutely aware of exactly how long each lap is and the range of calories I should expect to burn depending on effort. Prior to watch OS 5, I would start my run app on my phone and the activity app on my watch and the watch always trailed the phone in terms of distance measured. Today on my run, the watch calculated the same distance but calculated a higher than expected number of calories burned(381) vs. the normal range of (325-340).

I could have sworn I read a quote where they said they are continually reviewing the tracking and updating it as they got more information about how people worked out.

Something along those lines.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I did a 3mi run and the calories seemed somewhat excessive.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

I could have sworn I read a quote where they said they are continually reviewing the tracking and updating it as they got more information about how people worked out.

Something along those lines.

I read that too. I just was surprised by the 12-18% increase. Glad they are refining the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there a quick bullet-point guide to all the new WatchOS features?