Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Fitzpatrick is one of those weird guys kinda like Jeff Francouer was in baseball. For whatever reason when he goes to a new team he looks awesome for about 6 weeks. If everyone just traded him around the league maybe he'd be a hall of famer.

Unfortunately he stays longer than that and soon reverts to his normally awful self.

Having said that he does look more awesome than normal so far this time.

I'm getting a whiff of McCown from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Fitzpatrick owns but let's not kid ourselves here.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

fsif posted:

Fitzpatrick owns but let's not kid ourselves here.

What? I’m sorry I can’t hear you over how awesome he is:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s gonna suck rear end when Jameis starts his first game back.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I've watched quite a bit of Fitzmagic, and this is the best I've ever seen him play.

The biggest improvement is ball placement. He always was this aggressive, but he was pretty inaccurate. He seems to have built a repoire with the Bucs wrs where he can put the ball in a spot where they can just explode for yac. Its pretty cool to see honestly and i hope he keeps rollin

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's gonna happen. Someone in 2019 is going to give Fitzpatrick starter money.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Patriots after Tom retires this year

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Isn't he 35?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

pubic works project posted:

The Patriots after Tom retires this year
I have a good feeling this will happen

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Obviously I'm pissed we got jobbed out of a win, but the tie doesn't hurt our win %. Packers should really only care about getting to the Playoffs healthy, because they can beat anyone in the NFC besides the Rams on most days, and they've got at least a puncher's chance against the Rams.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Grittybeard posted:

Having said that he does look more awesome than normal so far this time.

He usually ends up on teams that were struggling to begin with, like the Jets and Bills. One key difference is the Bucs are SUPPOSED to be really good, but it's beginning to look like they've been underperforming because of their lovely, lovely quarterback.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Fitzpatrick is still going to bomb in the second half of the season. Just saying, Jameis is the weakest link.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just make overtime 7 on 7, four downs then change of possession, first touchdown wins

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

indigi posted:

just make overtime 7 on 7, four downs then change of possession, first touchdown wins

Ties are way cooler and funnier than what you suggest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if it were up to me I wouldn't have any overtime, you tie you tie, but everyone (including the NFL) seem to despise ties

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Leon Einstein posted:

Isn't he 35?

People are desperate for starters.
their are teams still gambling on the broken husk of Bradford.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LabyaMynora posted:

One key difference is the Bucs are SUPPOSED to be really good, but it's beginning to look like they've been underperforming because of their lovely, lovely quarterback.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Fitzpatrick is still going to bomb in the second half of the season. Just saying, Jameis is the weakest link.

lmao, WTF are you talking about? No one picked the Bucs to win more than 6 games this season.

Also, the defense is still looking pretty bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are desperate for starters.
their are teams still gambling on the broken husk of Bradford.

that's not entirely fair, he looked pretty darn solid from 2015-week 1 2017. this is a Delhomme-level falloff from his last appearance

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I mean Fitz has never had receivers that are this good, and it's why for the last year or two everyone kept expecting the Bucs bandwagon to take off.

Turns out the uber groper is the anchor weighing the pirate ship down.

Please come back Jameis, I don't want the bucs to put up 45 on the Panthers

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I work in an office in the Minneapolis suburbs that also employs a lot of Packers fans. Today has been a bit heated.

As the conversation inevitably spiraled toward the new QB rule and how it sucks and what to do about it someone suggested we just go to 2-hand-tag but only on QBs. After initial eye rolling, it sort of started to make sense? I feel like there would be an adjustment but it could work.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I work in an office in the Minneapolis suburbs that also employs a lot of Packers fans. Today has been a bit heated.

As the conversation inevitably spiraled toward the new QB rule and how it sucks and what to do about it someone suggested we just go to 2-hand-tag but only on QBs. After initial eye rolling, it sort of started to make sense? I feel like there would be an adjustment but it could work.

Till someone touches the QB to forcefully or he just flops then out come the flag for roughing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
They need to change the in the grasp rule to where the whistle is immediate but even that's going to be a giant mess for anyone strong (ben, cam) or elusive (Wilson, Rodgers, Watson)

Basically all QBs need to fall over on contact like that time Brady got sacked by a light touch from Khalil Mack

When it comes down to it how the hell is a blitzing 190 lb corner supposed to sack big Ben who is what, 6 inches taller and 75 pounds heavier? You have to hit him full speed with all your weight and that guy has built a career of throwing while partially wrapped up

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tanier still has some great lines:

"Bortles had 377 passing yards and four touchdown tosses to four different receivers in a 31-20 victory over the Patriots. He also rushed for 35 yards, and his only interception glanced off a receiver's hands.

Four touchdowns against the Patriots is impressive. Nick Foles impressive. But it's how Bortles and the Jaguars handled themselves in the fourth quarter that really matters."

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I get that everyone hates Winston and it's well warranted but it's not like he's a terrible QB. His numbers have improved ever year. Last season he was a respectable 64% comp/3500yds/19TD/11INT in 12.5 games. The play calling was poo poo and the OL was worse. 2 HUGE changes happened. The Bucs added Ryan Jensen and moved Ali Marpet to LG and the OL has been great. Dirk gave up play calling and Todd Monken has been doing a fantastic job calling plays. Jameis was absolutely on fire in preseason (I know preseason), but the play calling made such a difference.

The Fitz story is awesome and fun but there is no way Tampa is giving up on a 24 year old guy who can be a franchise QB for a 35 year old journeyman who has had a couple great games. I'm fine riding the Fitz train but my guess is Jameis is starting after the bye, week 6.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

wandler20 posted:

lmao, WTF are you talking about? No one picked the Bucs to win more than 6 games this season.

Maybe not this season, esp. with Jameis's suspension, but there was so much hype around them last year before the season started. People were saying they were Super Bowl contenders.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Every Tampa fan I know hates Winston, so I can easily see the fanbase going apeshit if they pull fitz if he isn't losing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
:ohdear: Don't take this from us.

https://twitter.com/Comedian_Ali/status/1041734944035418112

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

percentage of drives ending in a score, league average: 34%

31st in the league buffalo bills: 19.2%

the cardinals: 5%

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't think of a bigger enigma at quarterback than Fitzpatrick

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

cavallingus posted:

Schrödinger’s Quarterback

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

cavallingus posted:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

cavallingus posted:

Ryan Tannehill

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imo CTE is bad but not for qbs because frack them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I just watched the Jets Dolphins game. Darnold was better than the score line made it seem. He's got a live arm and can convert third and longs with laser passes. There were a lot of drops, as well as an impressive drive at the end of the first half that literally ended on the one yard line with zero points.

Overall though the Jets were outclassed, including at quarterback as Tannehill was accurate and reliable and made some gorgeous throws downfield. The protection held up really well and there were some designed qb runs that featured his buildup speed which was cool to see. The play where he turned it over under pressure was one of the funnier things I've seen recently, as he kind of tried to throw but the ball just popped out of his hands and both players trying to find it while lying on the ground. The Dolphins also won the line of scrimmage on defense and stuffed the run more often the not.

Drake was impressive and in general the Jets defense seemed a little lost. Lack of premiere talent in the defensive line is really killing them as Leonard Williams is the only guy who can really get pressure without blitzing or get the rb in the backfield. The lions game made the Jets look much better than they are, they're still bad, while the Dolphins are better than most people expected but still haven't had to face a real test.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I came away happy we won but scared the Jets have found a quarterback i can easily see in the top 12 within 2 seasons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've only seen highlights of the game but I noticed receivers/TEs giving up on routes multiple times, making Darnold look bad with incompletions/that one pick. that seems like a coaching issue

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What highlight package shows enough film to determine routes?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Please god tell me Bill gave up a 1 for Josh. I could actually be ok with that trade.

This is probably going to end up being the best environment for him with Bill being regimented as all hell.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Please god tell me Bill gave up a 1 for Josh. I could actually be ok with that trade.

This is probably going to end up being the best environment for him with Bill being regimented as all hell.

Uh I can't imagine some massive return when trading a guy you are cutting and that is one piss test away from being out of the league

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ches Neckbeard posted:

hm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Bill is willing to throw you away if you don't fit his mould hence all of the talent that has come to his door over the years that ended up going nowhere. If anything, I see this as a kiss of death for Gordon and that he won't be in the league next year which is a drat shame.

I'd like to see him go to a team with a need for him, a scheme that can utilize his talents well, and a coach/GM/owner who is willing to work with him. Unfortunately the Cowboys have excellent experience with Dez so I don't see why he wouldn't go there.

• Locked thread