Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Morphix posted:

I guess I don't see forum posting having the same impact as a charismatic person talking to your lonely rear end in front of a computer in terms of converting someone. Besides posting is inherently an active thing, you're engaged in it, watching is passive, you just let the information wash over you and aside from youtube comment section, you really have noone to sort of bounce what you just learned around with.

I mean, why do you think SA has closed so many of it's subforums? Isn't that the same thing you're talking about that we all can agree was probably for the best?

You gave away the game by saying Sargon Carl is charismatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You gave away the game by saying Sargon Carl is charismatic.

I wasn't talking about Carl, I'm talking about Contra. As in 'Contra is charismatic and cool and I like her information, and hey look she has someone on, who, by just having them on her show, at some level acknowledges that this person is worth listening to and hearing out because they too may have some good ideas, otherwise this cool and charismatic person I like wouldn't have them on, right?!'.

again, any online community ever as my case study of this.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Morphix posted:

so what?

Lets say you're not a fan of Contra, but leaning chud, and you watched that clip that was linked. Do you honestly believe you'd be convinced by Contras look of incredulity? And I know it's not her posting, it's one of her fans. But that's the point, she's teaching her audience that the way to win this battle of ideas of whatever is to do the exact same Tucker Carlson poo poo as the right.

That's all having chuds on does, is at best it's cathartic to have your hero super slam some idiot with knaaaaawledge (literally the daily show model). The counter to that is it drives away regular people like myself, who don't want to be involved in petty youtube drama poo poo.

There isn't one foolproof, singular way to defeat Chud Thinking, because the right is not a uniform body. It consists of people from enormously different social, economic, and cultural backgrounds, to say nothing of the differences in say, gen Z and boomer right-wingers.

There is no reason for Contrapoints not to exist, and your suggestion that she isn't doing any good is at odds with people (some of whom I've talked to personally) who say they were on the fence or ignorant about some of this stuff - or even alt-litey - and they like her videos and that they made them rethink their values. A good example I can think of wrt how she differs from "the Daily Show model" is in the incel episode, where she outright agrees that 1) dating sucks and is hard and our contemporary dating culture sucks in special new ways, 2) at the end of the day being bombarded with messages (however lovely many are) and spoiled for choice - what a lot of hetero women get online dating - is still better than abject silence and constant rejection - what a lot of hetero men get online dating. That isn't a typical liberal or left-leaning media way to frame or think about the problem, because it's basically a concession that, while the video agrees that inceldom is a bad community that reinforces negative tendencies and keeps the men it purports to help unhappy and makes them dangerous, these dudes aren't just random losers whose existence is unrelated to social and environmental conditions but a problem that we collectively (and our culture, and our economic system, and our politics) are partially responsible for.

If you throw up every time you think about Petty Youtube poo poo, don't watch political or academic content on Youtube?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morphix posted:

I wasn't talking about Carl, I'm talking about Contra. As in 'Contra is charismatic and cool and I like her information, and hey look she has someone on, who, by just having them on her show, at some level acknowledges that this person is worth listening to and hearing out because they too may have some good ideas, otherwise this cool and charismatic person I like wouldn't have them on, right?!'.

again, any online community ever as my case study of this.

The whole engagement with Carl is that he's wrong and has bad ideas. If you're coming into it biased in favor of Contrapoints, then listening to Carl talk about how cool Nazis were isn't going to be particularly persuasive.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

There isn't one foolproof, singular way to defeat Chud Thinking, because the right is not a uniform body. It consists of people from enormously different social, economic, and cultural backgrounds, to say nothing of the differences in say, gen Z and boomer right-wingers.
If you throw up every time you think about Petty Youtube poo poo, don't watch political or academic content on Youtube?

Look let me just say I've enjoyed some of her videos. I don't think what she's doing is bad, the whole entertainer being fun and charismatic and using those talents to provide good information is great.

The thing I take note with is when they have these live on air debate/talks, vs analyzing some of the chuds videos. It's like hbomerguy had a thing on Carl, it's a great video, gets the point across nicely without directly cross promoting Carl.

Not to say debate is bad, I mean the Chris Hedges vs Sam Harris debate was a turning point for me to start questioning libertarianism and my own 'skeptic' views. But it also had a moderator who didn't let Harris get away with bullshit. Even still, if you look at the comments for the video, I'd say I was in the minority of those converted, because most still use that 'debate' as proof of Harris god-slamming dumdum Hedges.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you're coming into it biased in favor of Contrapoints, then listening to Carl talk about how cool Nazis were isn't going to be particularly persuasive.

and what if you're not? what if you don't know poo poo about either side and someone just links you the video. than you're just listening to a nazi supporter telling you how cool nazi's were in a very cheeky tee hee way. and if you're young and impressionable, which I assume a lot of her potential audience is, than from a strictly media standpoint, you're just giving the rear end in a top hat airtime. on your channel. to your viewers.

Morphix has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Sep 17, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comments sections are always a cesspit. You can't gauge any meaningful impact from that kind of self-selecting pop.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morphix posted:

and what if you're not? what if you don't know poo poo about either side and someone just links you the video. than you're just listening to a nazi supporter telling you how cool nazi's were in a very cheeky tee hee way.

Ok, well if I'm a ignorant neophyte devoid of any metatextual knowledge or context, then there's a ton of more stuff to worry about than some beardy fat man talking to a well lit lady.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ok, well if I'm a ignorant neophyte devoid of any metatextual knowledge or context, then there's a ton of more stuff to worry about than some beardy fat man talking to a well lit lady.

i mean you keep trying to take my soft points into these hard to the nth degree things. look if you're just trying to 'win' this stupid chat ill bow out, you can win. but if you're interested in having a discussion about leftists giving airtime to nazis, than cool.

I'm talking about the young and impressionable audience of youtube. it's mostly children watching this poo poo. And if it's not, than my worry is unfounded and we can move on. But what I remember of my childhood on the internet, is I listened to a lot of 'cool' adults tell me some really dumb poo poo that I believed for a long time. Especially given that this generation lives and breathes this poo poo in a way that I never did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is being infested with ants an specialized ability or an upgrade

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
unless shes recently changed her mind back, arent all of contrapoints conversations with right wingers old and shes since decided not do that anymore?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Morphix posted:

look if you're just trying to 'win' this stupid chat ill bow out, you can win.

thank god

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ocean Book posted:

unless shes recently changed her mind back, arent all of contrapoints conversations with right wingers old and shes since decided not do that anymore?

Yes, that clip is from more than a year ago. She no longer engages with reactionaries of any kind. She never had any on her channel (the clip is from Carl’s channel). Part of why she stopped was realizing that she was getting a dedicated audience and no longer merely addressing the chuds watching Carl, and she didn’t want to expose leftist kids to that horseshit.

Her reason for doing it was that Carl’s going to say poo poo about leftists anyway and it’s harder for his audience to accept crazy untruths (if they’re legitimately on the fence) when there is a reasonable person there to answer. You can certainly disagree with that line of thinking—I do and she’s changed her mind about it too, but it’s unfair to say that she’s chasing fame or some kind of dopey liberal who feels bound to give Carl his precious free speech.

Is this all because of that cat character she does?

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009

Ocean Book posted:

As far as I know, yeah. That one is at least a year old.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

:emptyquote:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it was always a dumb idea to try to 'debate' or intellectually engage with any of the alt-right lunatics - they don't care about any respect for a dialog format, and they don't care about being honest, and their audiences also don't care. they will make up arab rape squads and minority murder statistics and gun violence numbers and any number of entirely fabricated straw men in order to give their thoughts even a veneer of legitimacy, and then they've won because now you have a person either debating an entirely made up number or issue or they don't and 'the triggered sjws can't HANDLE my galaxy brain debates!'

it's the exact same reason why the chuds going around offering to 'debate' people anyway - they don't care about utilizing fact, science, or even things like 'logic' to 'debate' people. they just want to force people to either engage with their made-up world views or make a video about how the leftists are actually all just snowflakes who can't handle the cold steel of my Neocon hanzo blade.

donald trump used this exact strategy of aggressively lying thru his teeth to become president.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has Spider-Man ever been presented as having a religion? I know Superman is a methodist or something even though he met some Kryptonian god when he was dead. It would be great if Spidey converted and started giving crazy NOI talking points about Yakub like he was being written by a muslim Steve Ditko.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spider-Man swings into hospital window

7 year old cancer patient: Spider-Man, you came! Mr Parker have you my note! You're my favorite superhero! I'm going to fight this cancer like you fight the bad guys!

Spider-Man: Good, kid. But look, medicine isn't real and can't save you. Stop the chemo. Only prayer and faith in God can help you, as illness is an illusion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Donald Trump debated the literal face of the 2016 democrat establishment and spent the entire time getting called on his bullshit and trounced by factual statements from a calm, informed opponent, and it didn't make a lick of a difference. I have no idea how you're supposed to help chuds out of their sewer, but it's pretty clear that anything involving giving their views a platform and rationally engaging them is not the way forward.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool discussion about an issue that’s already settled

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
That might also have had something to do with hillary being the face of the last 30 years of american politics and a despicable excuse of a human being who belongs on a gulag on the dark side of pluto

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
gently caress yes it's time to re litigate the 2016 election

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

And he just announced he's going to be the writer on the Miles Morales book when it relaunches this winter

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/RodPSterling/status/1041779828926672897

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

something something self-owns coming from inside the thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Korn posted:

Spider-Man swings into hospital window

7 year old cancer patient: Spider-Man, you came! Mr Parker have you my note! You're my favorite superhero! I'm going to fight this cancer like you fight the bad guys!

Spider-Man: Good, kid. But look, medicine isn't real and can't save you. Stop the chemo. Only prayer and faith in God can help you, as illness is an illusion.

The boy who collected Spider-Man but Spidey is a Scientologist

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1041779090477514760

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't see how that makes it worse.

BLAIRE WHITE forces the gun into BEN SHAPIRO's hand. He won't take it. It falls to the floor

BLAIRE: Why won't you hate me? Why am I not good enough? What more do I have to do?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

business hammocks posted:

BLAIRE WHITE forces the gun into BEN SHAPIRO's hand. He won't take it. It falls to the floor

BLAIRE: Why won't you hate me? Why am I not good enough? What more do I have to do?

ehh. i think it does a little bit. it shows they are basically unscrupulous monsters, who are fine with the repercussions of all their bullshit because "its all a big game" and they make money. true believers are monsters too but this feels weirdly grosser.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

It’s a perfect microcosm of the relationship between liberals and the far right

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Like if I'm going to get murdered, but it turns out that the guy murdered me ironically and not actually because he hates trans homos or whatever, I'm still loving dead and it wasn't even for a reason, you know... It's like insult to injury

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It might have something to do with the deal he made leaving Vice? One thing i've noticed about Vice and Gavin is that they generally avoid talking about each other directly. When talking about the Proud Boys they don't name Gavin, they just talk about how it's another alt right movement.
i've noticed this as well. my guess is there was a mutual non-disparagement clause in the buyout contract, with either being on the hook for a specific and enormous amount of money if violated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

meaning, you respect them even less because they're not even committed to their own bullshit
e: put another way, "I am actively making your life worse because that is how I make a few bucks" vs someone who genuinely wants you kept down/exterminated because they believe the world would be better off :shrug:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Sep 17, 2018

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I read a pretty cool article about Inuit people who eat an almost completely carnivorous diet and are healthy. obviously, in their extreme biome, there is very little vegetation.

of course, these are people who have developed gut bacteria for such a diet and are genetically predisposed for such. it is also important that they don't just eat lean narwhal filets, but consume almost every part of the animal - skin, organs, fat, eyeballs, etc. additionally, these are wild caught animals, not farm stock. they also ate much of it raw.

the hunting obsessed dumbasses (not criticizing all hunters, I do it too and it has a place) in my family took the article to mean that meat is better for you than.vegetables. dudes like them and jp aren't eating liver and mukluk. they are eating (for the most part) genetically engineered, corn fed, antibiotic filled factory farm poo poo that's been grilled or smoked to carcinogen city.

Peterson is almost certainly full of poo poo, both in the sense that he is a liar and also his intestines are packed to the brim with rotting meat feces. he must strain to the point of bloodshed to pass those compacted shoeleather turds

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

meaning, you respect them even less because they're not even committed to their own bullshit
e: put another way, "I am actively making your life worse because that is how I make a few bucks" vs someone who genuinely wants you kept down/exterminated because they believe the world would be better off :shrug:

Blaire’s whole thing is begging to be exterminated, though. I guess she needs them to hate her as much as she hates herself. But also the og nazis were mostly doing it for the corner office and the Christmas bonus too. Nobody wants to get done by an Eichmann, I guess.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
cant imagine every camp guard or wehrmacht officer who liquidated a village really believed in the aryan migration or the principles of the black sun

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it’s more unnerving to be persecuted by a sociopath than a true believer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

in Blaire White’s case, she’s internalized the logic of trans misogyny because she both benefits from it as someone who can pass, and because she looks up to or respects the figures who take this kind of reactionary tack. so finding out that they’re only in it to become a boat owner calls her entire worldview into question.

if there’s no genuine conviction from her “peers” then she’s wasted her life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can understand the complex pathology that would bring a person to hate herself because of who she is, but what kind of sick gently caress would respect Ben Shapiro?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Son of Man posted:

I read a pretty cool article about Inuit people who eat an almost completely carnivorous diet and are healthy. obviously, in their extreme biome, there is very little vegetation.

of course, these are people who have developed gut bacteria for such a diet and are genetically predisposed for such. it is also important that they don't just eat lean narwhal filets, but consume almost every part of the animal - skin, organs, fat, eyeballs, etc. additionally, these are wild caught animals, not farm stock. they also ate much of it raw.

the hunting obsessed dumbasses (not criticizing all hunters, I do it too and it has a place) in my family took the article to mean that meat is better for you than.vegetables. dudes like them and jp aren't eating liver and mukluk. they are eating (for the most part) genetically engineered, corn fed, antibiotic filled factory farm poo poo that's been grilled or smoked to carcinogen city.

Peterson is almost certainly full of poo poo, both in the sense that he is a liar and also his intestines are packed to the brim with rotting meat feces. he must strain to the point of bloodshed to pass those compacted shoeleather turds

The Inuit and other arctic peoples also relied on fermented foods, which supplements that lack of vegetation, provides nutrition a solely meat diet wont and maybe gives the gut the flora needed to not crap diamonds, as well as a diet of pretty much anything they could find.
And bolded isnt the problem, its that theyre going to have a significant amount of muscle meats in their diets and I can assure you little to no organ meats and marrow, which is where you actually get most of your essential nutrients in a meat diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The best way to counter 'Everyone else is an NPC' idiots is to take their posts and put them in NPC dialogue boxes