Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can’t keep using Workflow. Workflow is now literally Shortcuts.

Yes I can. Workflow is separate and has its own workflows separate from Siri Shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mechanical Fiend posted:

So now that Shortcuts is properly integrated into iOS, you no longer have to confirm sending iMessages. It'll just send them out.

Use with caution.

Add a 2 second wait in that bad boy for maximum effect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

Yes I can. Workflow is separate and has its own workflows separate from Siri Shortcuts.

Is this some weird regional thing?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I had to delete workflow and download shortcuts because it would just open workflow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had to restart so the icon and name would update but aside from that Shortcuts is good and cool. Now to figure out just how much poo poo I can do with this.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Over There posted:

I had to delete workflow and download shortcuts because it would just open workflow.

Oh. After doing that, now I see Shortcuts. Yeah, searching Shortcuts just took me to Workflow before.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shortcuts seems crazy powerful at first glance but also limited in weird ways? Like I’d love to be able to say “Connect to the speaker” to have it automatically connect to our Bluetooth speaker at home, and “Disconnect from the speaker” when I’m done using it, but the only Bluetooth-related thing I can find in Shortcuts is the ability to switch my phone’s Bluetooth on and off.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hate these drat icons over my keyboard for apps. I disabled a bunch but cant find a way to remove the bar.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I could spotlight search Shortcuts and it would show up with the right icon but it was still called Workflow. Reboot fixed it of course.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I hate these drat icons over my keyboard for apps. I disabled a bunch but cant find a way to remove the bar.

Tap the App Store icon to the left of the text entry field.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Protocol7 posted:

I could spotlight search Shortcuts and it would show up with the right icon but it was still called Workflow. Reboot fixed it of course.
Searching "Shortcuts" in the app store just returned some sort of hair-cutting app, while searching for Workflow took me to... the Apple Shortcuts app. Okay.

Weedle posted:

Shortcuts seems crazy powerful at first glance but also limited in weird ways? Like I’d love to be able to say “Connect to the speaker” to have it automatically connect to our Bluetooth speaker at home, and “Disconnect from the speaker” when I’m done using it, but the only Bluetooth-related thing I can find in Shortcuts is the ability to switch my phone’s Bluetooth on and off.
I'm wondering if I can set an action specifically when connecting to my car's Bluetooth. Seems like that would have tons of good use cases. But yeah like you said it looks like the only Bluetooth thing you can do is turn it on or off entirely :/

Like I want my phone to connect to my car's Bluetooth and then:

- disconnect WiFi (so low signal from inside my house doesn't mess up Waze)

- start a Music playlist

- turn WiFi back when I disconnect from car

I'm so frustratingly close to feeling like I'm in the future dammit!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 17, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Minidust posted:

Searching "Shortcuts" in the app store just returned some sort of hair-cutting app, while searching for Workflow took me to... the Apple Shortcuts app. Okay.
I'm wondering if I can set an action specifically when connecting to my car's Bluetooth. Seems like that would have tons of good use cases. But yeah like you said it looks like the only Bluetooth thing you can do is turn it on or off entirely :/

Like I want my phone to connect to my car's Bluetooth and then:

- disconnect WiFi (so low signal from inside my house doesn't mess up Waze)

- start a Music playlist

- turn WiFi back when I disconnect from car

I'm so frustratingly close to feeling like I'm in the future dammit!

Yeah I want something similar:

When connected to my car's bluetooth: start spotify

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Weedle posted:

ez pz

Thank you. :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I think a shortcuts thread would be a good idea if someone wants to start one. This feels like it's going to have some legs on it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

Yeah I want something similar:

When connected to my car's bluetooth: start spotify

I don’t think there’s geofence or device triggers for shortcuts. Or maybe I’m just not seeing them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I think a shortcuts thread would be a good idea if someone wants to start one. This feels like it's going to have some legs on it.

It should probably just go in the iOS thread, it's slow enough.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lockscreen music player still has tiny font and postage-stamp graphic. :-/

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Minidust posted:

It's just a brand new iOS app store stroke. Nothing to worry about.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So any idea how I can say have Siri tell me the forecast, play the NPR hourly news, then play a playlist from my Apple Musics for you section? None of those appear to be things I can select in shortcuts, is there some higher level programming I can put in?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yea IOS 12 definitely fixed a lot of my slowdown issues

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iOS 12 trip report:

- 'its snappier'

- shutdowns and bootups definitely faster

- launching of all apps sped up, updating in App Store also quickerer

- camera comes on much faster, even in 3rd party cam apps

- Measure app seems a lot more accurate

So far, plain pleased.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I accidentally used the old address for a card when preordering, Apple emailed to get me to update payment and now every card I use is just not working :confuoot:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ManSedan posted:

So any idea how I can say have Siri tell me the forecast, play the NPR hourly news, then play a playlist from my Apple Musics for you section? None of those appear to be things I can select in shortcuts, is there some higher level programming I can put in?

So, in looking at this, there's a couple things you can do: 1) You can have it *show* the weather, but I can't figure out how to *read* it (but maybe it's in there?). It's possible a third party app can help out here, but idk it seems weird that one of the things that really works well with Siri isn't available as an action so maybe I'm missing it.

2) If you use Overcast, you can make it play a playlist or a specific podcast, but apparently the Shortcuts app will truncate your podcast list if you have more than 13 or 14. The solution to this seems to be to make a playlist that only contains the podcast you want. It seems to take a bit to update the Shortcuts app to allow new playlists. (The default podcast doesn't seem to have shortcuts - yet another reason not to bother with that turd.) I can't comment on other podcast players.

3) If you search for "Play" it'll show what amounts to the last things you've played on Apple Music. You can put one of your personalized playlists here, I guess, which doesn't *quite* get what you want, but it's part of the way there.

Edit: I haven't actually tried this to see if it works, so maybe it doesn't idk.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 17, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ManSedan posted:

Could probably do some web-scraping and speech-to-text the result for the forecast.

I don't know why, but my Overcast only allows me to add to playlist, not to play a specific playlist or podcast. So not sure on your NPR question.

For the play a playlist from Apple Music For You, I don't have Apple Music, but if you do Get Playlist, can you choose the playlist you want? If you can, just feed the Get Playlist output into Play Music.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparently Carrot Weather and the Weather Channel apps have Siri Shortcuts, so those might get you your weather.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/17/you-can-try-siri-shortcuts-today-in-these-ios-12-ready-apps/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weedle posted:

lmao, you mean to tell me the entire time I'd been using the iOS12 beta and getting annoyed by this, I could've just turned it off that easily? :doh:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

lmao, you mean to tell me the entire time I'd been using the iOS12 beta and getting annoyed by this, I could've just turned it off that easily? :doh:

And in iOS11

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well this is fun. I put together a shortcut to upload to imgur, add the timg tags to the url, and copy it to the clipboard for ez cat photo posting. If that’s the entirety of the shortcut I can just go to any photo, tap share, and select the shortcut and it works great. However if I add select the last photo to automate it further and use it as a widget from anywhere I get a file type error when uploading.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well this is fun. I put together a shortcut to upload to imgur, add the timg tags to the url, and copy it to the clipboard for ez cat photo posting. If that’s the entirety of the shortcut I can just go to any photo, tap share, and select the shortcut and it works great. However if I add select the last photo to automate it further and use it as a widget from anywhere I get a file type error when uploading.

I have one like that set up in workflow and sometimes I'll get that same error and I just have to either try again later or try a different picture for whatever reason. :shrug:

Try a screen shot vs a photo you've taken.

Do workflows carry over to shortcuts?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Turns out there’s a command to convert to jpeg which takes care of the issue. It’s slick how much this thing can do / script.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Turns out there’s a command to convert to jpeg which takes care of the issue. It’s slick how much this thing can do / script.

OK well don't hold out on us you need to post it! My poo poo photo posting must continue in iOS12.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

Do workflows carry over to shortcuts?

Mine did. Even the widget.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

OK well don't hold out on us you need to post it! My poo poo photo posting must continue in iOS12.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Excellent!!! Thanks!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

That’s.... really neat as hell.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh hey, iOS12 fixed that stuttering audio problem I was having whenever my iPhone went to sleep. Yay.

Also snappier.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm kinda disappointed with how little you can actually do within Homekit in Shortcuts. Settings scenes are pretty much the only thing you can really do. Also the Waze integration could really use some work but I'm guessing that's on Waze's end to update/add. Right now you can show directions on Waze but all that does is prompt you to open Waze (wtf does it even ask, if I'm running the shortcut is because I want the drat thing) then once on waze it just searches for the address so you still need to click and confirm before the navigation begins.

Also looks like you can share shortcuts directly by generating an iCloud link but those aren't working (or isn't working for the shortcut I'm trying to share)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 18, 2018

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m curious as to whether Apple will make a decision regarding HomeKit. If they want to really enter the same space as Amazon and Google (and I guess Samsung but lol Bixby) then the window of opportunity is closing if not already closed. HomeKit is just lacking in updates and a good 25% I gotta go into the original app because HomeKit fails for whatever reason.

Like Siri alone has needed improvements for years now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God better homekit support is like my number one wish list item form Apple. If they could get a fraction of this shortcut business into the homekit automation it'd be a loving hit.

Shortcut chat: the workflow subreddit is moving to https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts so keep an eye on it for some fun possibly useful shortcuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m curious as to whether Apple will make a decision regarding HomeKit. If they want to really enter the same space as Amazon and Google (and I guess Samsung but lol Bixby) then the window of opportunity is closing if not already closed. HomeKit is just lacking in updates and a good 25% I gotta go into the original app because HomeKit fails for whatever reason.

Like Siri alone has needed improvements for years now.

Its really crazy how much better Siri is on the HomePod vs my iPhone.