Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kraftwerk posted:

This can't be how the government of the most powerful country on Earth operates??

It's just idiots like me at every level of government and the Trump admin hired people dumber than the average goon to fill their administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Why is it so hard for progressives to accept that a lot of POC advocacy groups are run by people with close ties to the Democratic establishment. Same for the unions, same for Planned Parenthood, same for the human rights campaign.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why is it so hard for progressives to accept that a lot of POC advocacy groups are run by people with close ties to the Democratic establishment. Same for the unions, same for Planned Parenthood, same for the human rights campaign.

They can accept that while also being disappointed that they sold out their advocacy in exchange for those sweet sweet personal connections.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Honestly the HRC deserves more poo poo for the Delaware senate race than for Nixon in NYC. Endorsing a guy who was actively homophobic over a queer black woman is unconscionable.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1040057737999253504

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Radish posted:

Also on another topic the GOP having a list of women ready to vouch for their SCOTUS nomination hours after the allegation means its definitely real and they knew.

You know, I was thinking this, but then I realized that I can completely imagine the GOP saying, “Has he ever been accused? poo poo, let’s start lining up witnesses just to be safe.” I mean, he clerked for that harasser, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pirate Radar posted:

You know, I was thinking this, but then I realized that I can completely imagine the GOP saying, “Has he ever been accused? poo poo, let’s start lining up witnesses just to be safe.” I mean, he clerked for that harasser, right?

They clearly saw something in this ballpark coming, yeah. The question is whether it's because they were just generally preparing or because there's much worse still out there to come.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly the HRC deserves more poo poo for the Delaware senate race than for Nixon in NYC. Endorsing a guy who was actively homophobic over a queer black woman is unconscionable.

https://twitter.com/hrc/status/922606069364543488?s=21

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

welp, gently caress em.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Morherfucker I just came to post that.

https://twitter.com/joaozinho_santi/status/1041193856786685952?s=21

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AndrewGillum/status/1041134690713960448
Finding every instance where US politicians invoked 'regime' for their latest political targets seems like a fun thing to do on a gloomy, flooded Sunday.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

Finding every instance where US politicians invoked 'regime' for their latest political targets seems like a fun thing to do on a gloomy, flooded Sunday.

So I had to look up who he was talking about and between that and his palling around with Cory Booker, I have adjusted my expectations down accordingly.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewGillum/status/1041134690713960448

We’ve been told over and over again that we should assert our positions in the primary by voting for progressives, but when we do, some of those candidates end up going back on their positions. Happened with Beto, too.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

socially liberal but economically conservative peeps in a nutshell

perfectly fine with people being ground to dust and maimed by horrific working conditions

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CobraKeiser/status/1040968867240194048

quote:

“Feinstein also acted out of a sense that Democrats would be better off focussing on legal, rather than personal, issues in their questioning of Kavanaugh,” Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer write.

quote:

Feinstein seems to believe that what a powerful man has allegedly done in a bedroom, even criminal behavior, is irrelevant to what he might do in a courtroom. She’s stuck in an era that differentiated between “personal” and “public” conduct, even when the two clearly intersect, as they do in this case.

Whether or not Kavanaugh committed a serious sex crime is directly relevant to the job. If confirmed, he is sure to review laws on sexual assault, domestic violence, workplace harassment, and other women’s rights issues, including reproductive health, in the coming decades. Assuming these allegations are true, has he ever taken responsibility? Has he contended with his behavior? Or does he reject the legal standard for this type of crime?

quote:

The politics of the Franken situation at least added up. Supporters see his departure as a huge loss to the party. He’s a rare liberal communicator who can go toe to toe with the big TV stars of conservative media. They also see ousting him as holding themselves to a higher standard than Republicans, who voted in Donald Trump.

But Kavanaugh is a liberal foil, a conservative with opposing views on nearly every legal question. Feinstein’s decision to keep the letter from public view through the hearings is a stunning example of how far the powerful will go to protect the status quo, even putting it above partisan politics, above other women, and above the politics of the #MeToo era.

quote:

The woman in question asked for anonymity; she didn’t ask for inaction. Why would she write to Feinstein? Why write to her member of Congress, Democratic Rep. Anna Eshoo? For generic catharsis? No. She was asking for action. Feinstein is doing nothing with protecting her identity.

Feinstein could have kept the woman’s name private while investigating. For example, the New Yorker tracked down the friend who the woman said turned up the music during the alleged assault without ever releasing his name or hers.

Abusers rely on silence. They hope their victims will fear not being believed, that they’ll fear stigma, that they’ll feel too much shame to speak up. That’s why #MeToo is so radical. Its goal is to give voice to victims en masse.

But Feinstein is missing the moment. She chose silence. And we almost didn’t get to hear this woman at all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nothing we didn't already know but this tweet has a nice chart:

https://twitter.com/_alice_evans/status/1041368663016853504

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

So I had to look up who he was talking about and between that and his palling around with Cory Booker, I have adjusted my expectations down accordingly.

It's also worth mentioning that even if Ortega's politics weren't left-wing, the sort of language in that tweet should still be attacked, since it's the kind of rhetoric that leads to military intervention.

theCalamity posted:

We’ve been told over and over again that we should assert our positions in the primary by voting for progressives, but when we do, some of those candidates end up going back on their positions. Happened with Beto, too.

In my experience it's usually fairly easy to tell which ones are mostly legit (for example it was always obvious that O'Rourke and Gillum were going to just be regular Democrats), but the problem is that your average voter isn't going to be able to notice this stuff. Though that might change if the pattern keeps repeating.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1041357671662841859
Trump was threatening him with the boot. This is his solution.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just think of the Experience we would lose without Feinstein.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1041474343618994182?s=19

A lot of serious centrists seem pretty invested in downplaying a scotus and his attempted rape. I'm sure a rapist is going to be very impartial when it comes to laws regarding women's rights.

Also this dude is clearly a hatchetman that will side with the GOP no matter how twisted his legal logic needs to be. You can't get worse.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 17, 2018

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It wouldn't be the first rapist Democrats accepted for political expediency.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Schumer has nightmares where there's a 5-4 SCOTUS is the Democrat's favor (no Garland compromises) and wakes up screaming like Cuomo probably did when he lost the IDC.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1041720520138530816?s=21

:(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
death comes for us all

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

double nine posted:

nothing we didn't already know but this tweet has a nice chart:

https://twitter.com/_alice_evans/status/1041368663016853504

You may want to read this idiot's next tweet, where she blames it on not reading Hillbilly Elegy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1041357671662841859
Trump was threatening him with the boot. This is his solution.

:eyepop:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You may want to read this idiot's next tweet, where she blames it on not reading Hillbilly Elegy.

god that book is nearly as good a sign of insufferable idiots as Jordan Peterson or Rand...

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

sexpig by night posted:

god that book is nearly as good a sign of insufferable idiots as Jordan Peterson or Rand...
A brief perusal of its wikipedia is about on par with having a hook shoved into your urethra.

As someone in some kind of quasi escape from the underclass, the nepotism and delusion among the middle class seems bizarre and endemic. Everyone has an internship at their uncles company, its treated as not a joke for a parent to own a company you get a job you're objectively not even close to qualified for, its like every single institution that's considered a gateway and milestone of achievement is nothing but worthless spoiled trash who have every wheel greased along the way. Its just treated as normal and expected.

Its like middle class society is built on this fragile delusion where you're not supposed to make cracks about how people get their money cause deep down they know its usually morally criminal.This one time I got tricked into going into a Northrop blood rite initiation ritual, and I figured the adviser who looked like a liberal caricature would share my sense of humor since she made dumb tweets about protecting her students from Trump. So I asked her how the student crowd (that was not told who was sponsoring it) seems really international (a large portion is foreign), and asked her what she thought the chance was that at least one of them had a family killed by a Northrop product. Shouldn't of did that.

Slaughter positive, socially inclusive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sneakster posted:

A brief perusal of its wikipedia is about on par with having a hook shoved into your urethra.

As someone in some kind of quasi escape from the underclass, the nepotism and delusion among the middle class seems bizarre and endemic. Everyone has an internship at their uncles company, its treated as not a joke for a parent to own a company you get a job you're objectively not even close to qualified for, its like every single institution that's considered a gateway and milestone of achievement is nothing but worthless spoiled trash who have every wheel greased along the way. Its just treated as normal and expected.

Its like middle class society is built on this fragile delusion where you're not supposed to make cracks about how people get their money cause deep down they know its usually morally criminal.This one time I got tricked into going into a Northrop blood rite initiation ritual, and I figured the adviser who looked like a liberal caricature would share my sense of humor since she made dumb tweets about protecting her students from Trump. So I asked her how the student crowd (that was not told who was sponsoring it) seems really international (a large portion is foreign), and asked her what she thought the chance was that at least one of them had a family killed by a Northrop product. Shouldn't of did that.

Slaughter positive, socially inclusive.

yea it rules that libs got a new source of 'bootstraps, but PATRONIZING instead of HATEFUL' to use. That whole book is a guy from a not even tiny, isolated, place saying them simple country mice are just too proud and ignorant to understand they can't spend their day drinkin moonshine by the crick and slappin on their belly like a drum. Like, he fuckin describes the Country Bear Jamboree and goes 'you need to get these people to agree with you by being more racist'.

Also he INSTANTLY went on to become a venture capitalist for Peter "An actual vampire piece of poo poo" Thiel, ya know, salt of the earth folks.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If liberals directed the kind of rhetoric they use against poor whites towards minorities they would all be labelled 100% unequivocally racists and social darwinists

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

If liberals directed the kind of rhetoric they use against poor whites towards minorities they would all be labelled 100% unequivocally racists and social darwinists
White poverty is caused by racism, non-white poverty is caused by, uh, jive talk? Certainly not structural things I have vested interest in not questioning.

For some reason I imagine people that argue black people are poor cause of rap would laugh at saying white people are poor cause of country music.

One of the things I've noticed in terms of stark differences of class is how despite the poor being considered degenerate filth, its basically the idealized form of the abstract moral values of both ends of political spectrum.

Poor people will offer you space when they barely have any, almost all the authorities figures are women, and its the only part of society that's actually integrated to any extent, resources are tenuous enough that authority figures must be obeyed, and the lack of tact is trashy free expression. Feminist, family values, obedience, thriftiness. Questioning authority is how you get in trouble.

I joked in the trump thread about baring anyone in a frat from being a judge, but bourgeois environment doesn't exactly discourage exploitation and sexual violence. Mostly strong nuclear families train them from birth to trust authority, that dad is to be obeyed, and male domination is the norm. Its the only environment I've been in where girls seem to either expect sexual violence, or its just assumed and ask to keep to a minimum. The guys I've interacted in it treat women like garbage as a game. The Supreme Court Justice being a gang rapist isn't exactly the biggest surprise from this kind of hyper patriarchal culture, I wouldn't be shocked by anyone is a position of political or economic power to have some sordid sexual impropriety, that's how winners act, they take what they want.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The idea that women are treated better by proles than the bourgeoise is pretty specious, unfortunately.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

The idea that women are treated better by proles than the bourgeoise is pretty specious, unfortunately.
Single mothers are very patriarchal.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

willingness to be abusive does not vary, but it's amazing how much having money provides an insulative effect

the person who would beat the poo poo out his wife for the crime of backtalking him is just as much a monster with a net worth of 500K as with 5K. but at 500K, the toolkit to solve the problem of "it looks like she might tell somebody" includes hush money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is incredibly my poo poo.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

willingness to be abusive does not vary, but it's amazing how much having money provides an insulative effect

the person who would beat the poo poo out his wife for the crime of backtalking him is just as much a monster with a net worth of 500K as with 5K. but at 500K, the toolkit to solve the problem of "it looks like she might tell somebody" includes hush money.

To expand on that, the rich have a separate patriarchal legal system that the poor aren't a part of. If you do a few rapes as a rich white man and it somehow goes to trial and results in a conviction, you get slap on the wrist because the judge doesn't want to harm your career. I mean for the sheer volume of sexual abuse Harvey Weinstein metered out to cause the start of the Me Too movement, the thought he would serve a single day of jail time is unthinkable. He at worst suffers a bit of embarrassment because other rich people don't want to get their picture taken with him in public anymore.

Iron Twinkie fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 18, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

while there are certainly a lot of racist working-class whites and I don't think centering WCW as a whole too much is a great strategy for the left, there are a hell of a lot of liberals who just use anti-racism and general wokeness as a pretext for rank classism

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don't buy that rich people don't commit abuse against women and children at huge rates comparable to poor people, they just have the means to hide it or the abuse is considered normal and acceptable.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't buy that rich people don't commit abuse against women and children at huge rates comparable to poor people, they just have the means to hide it or the abuse is considered normal and acceptable.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Iron Twinkie posted:

To expand on that, the rich have a separate patriarchal legal system that the poor aren't a part of. If you do a few rapes as a rich white man and it somehow goes to trial and results in a conviction, you get slap on the wrist because the judge doesn't want to harm your career.
Noo, you don't get a conviction, you get "probation before judgement" in a show trial after a lunch with the expensive lawyer and judge agreed on the outcome beforehand. The historical origin of the white frills on the judge's dress are actually there to wipe the poo poo off, you can still see the smears if you look closely. It doesn't matter if you're white if you can't afford a lawyer, and it doesn't matter if you're not-white and can afford a lawyer. The entire criminal justice system is pay for play. You bribe the judges co-worker *wink wink* or you're made an indentured servant of the state to make acrylics and furniture for low low prices.

I thought the "you gonna get raped" pamphlet they gave me in jail was funny, until I noticed I was the only one they gave one to.

Barry Convex posted:

while there are certainly a lot of racist working-class whites and I don't think centering WCW as a whole too much is a great strategy for the left, there are a hell of a lot of liberals who just use anti-racism and general wokeness as a pretext for rank classism
Yes, like the racist working class whites who were clamoring for the Democrats to legalize redlining, and the strict wage and immigration controls to protect well paying industries with lobbying, or to teach themselves a lesson by cutting TANF. It was the working class whites racists that engineered and begged for all of those things, those weren't brutal austerity measures to pander to bourgeois greed. Ignoring most of poor has been an effective strategy for the left. Obama capitulations to finance industry pig-men gangsters destroyed half the wealth of black America, but man, I sure felt anti-racist voting for a capitalist puppet.

It was the poor people, the people with no power were the real villains all along.

Now let me explain how gangster rap trapped the black community in learned helplessness and not raising taxes on my employer is the only realistic way of addressing anything.

The people who spend a lot of money to live in whites-only neighborhoods are not racist, that's class reductionist to say we should end segregation.

Whats this pink stuff oozing out my ear?

Lightning Knight posted:

The rich commit it at far higher rates because in many of those households the man is the sole or primary earner and reputations have to be maintained.

I can't imagine anyone is dumb or obtuse enough to not understand the relation to patriarchal abuse and that a large portion of the poor are single mothers. But liberals, so, I'm sure some genius is cooking up a stellar argument for bringing back the work houses.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barry Convex posted:

The whole reason class is excluded from identity politics is to use it as a pretext for classism and hide their own privileged status and manipulation of the poors against each other

• Locked thread