Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TOOT BOOT posted:

People still read Time Magazine? The only time I ever hear about that magazine or any of their journalism is like one day a year when they announce person of the year

I saw a Time magazine while I was waiting in line at a Walgreens today and it was a whole issue about Donald Trump. I thumbed through it quickly and saw and article called "How to raise optimistic children in a pessimistic world" or something like that.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

As if Bezos wasn't bad enough, now Marc Benioff, the founder of Salesforce, is buying Time Magazine.

On the upside, Time Magazine hasn't been relevant in decades

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I saw a Time magazine while I was waiting in line at a Walgreens today and it was a whole issue about Donald Trump. I thumbed through it quickly and saw and article called "How to raise optimistic children in a pessimistic world" or something like that.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

To be fair, if I was the parent of a young child that's something I'd probably wonder about.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

To be fair, if I was the parent of a young child that's something I'd probably wonder about.

The best advice you can give a child now is "Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.".

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CPL593H posted:

The best advice you can give a child now is "Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.".

Hand your child a goalie mask on their sixth birthday and train them to become the lord humongous

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

CPL593H posted:

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Just gonna take this opportunity to recommend the podcast What A Time to Be Alive since it’s one of my favorites. Carry on

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Skwirl posted:

to most of my recently parent friends I just try and be supportive, and not bugout bag crazy "you need to learn how to make your own irrigation system"

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Oh poo poo, unironic usage

It was The Exorcist, by the way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol if you don't raise your children to be urban guerillas in the future war against capital.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lol if you don't raise your children to be urban guerillas in the future war against capital.

Can my son still wear his Hulk costume? Like, to confuse the enemy?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Did we ever have a thread on the Dekalog? I'd love to read people's thoughts on some of the episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about Liamsploitation, which capitalises on Liam Neeson's post-Taken reinvention as an action star whose movies always look like they're DTV even when they're getting theatrical releases? :v:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Did we ever have a thread on the Dekalog? I'd love to read people's thoughts on some of the episodes.
I think there were only sporadic comments in the Criterion thread. But yeah, go ahead and make one now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, just went ahead and made one. Feel free to join.

Though the SA thread title system doesn't seem to like the ´symbol. If you could fix that GonSmithe, I'd be much obliged.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which do people like better - Predator or Die Hard?

They're both great but it's Die Hard for me.

Die Hard, it’s a flawless script. The first act of Predator is a drag.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Die Hard is a tighter a flick, and that's without slighting Predator much.

This is a pretty fun comment because Die Hard is almost a half hour longer than Predator.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was briefly digging through archives to see if one could actually be found, and man, this forum used to care a lot more about michael haneke

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about Liamsploitation, which capitalises on Liam Neeson's post-Taken reinvention as an action star whose movies always look like they're DTV even when they're getting theatrical releases? :v:

Old white men will literally watch any movie of you put an old white man with a gun on the cover. Bonus points for a sexy lady young enough to be his daughter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Old white men will literally watch any movie of you put an old white man with a gun on the cover. Bonus points for a sexy lady young enough to be his daughter.

Harry Brown is probably the quintessential example of this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of Wixploitation ends up getting mixed-in/conflated with a longer standing cycle of Liamsploitation. Like, you could argue that The Equalizer is Wixploitation, except it actually came out in the same year as John Wick. And both films, in their portrayals of older gentlemen being these hyper-competent, individual agents of brutalizing violence, are very much descendent of Taken.

Meanwhile, I think you could argue that the upcoming Peppermint is both explicitly Liamsploitation as well as Wixploitation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Equalizer is itself an adaptation of a television series from the 80s about an ageing retired spy who solves problems for people to make amends for his dark past.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Coaaab posted:

I was briefly digging through archives to see if one could actually be found, and man, this forum used to care a lot more about michael haneke

I remember SubG having an extremely long argument with someone in the Horror thread about the failure of Funny Games as a didactic work a few years ago. It went on for pages, mostly because the other guy didn't seem entirely sure himself what point he was trying to make other than "it's good".

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like Ray Dennis Steckler's weird rear end movies.

Incredibly Strange Creatures... is fascinating and oddly beautiful at certain moments (iirc there's a dream sequence that feels ripped from Kenneth Anger, but it's been awhile since I've seen it).

Anyway, I'll take it to the Mandy thread but I saw it as a midnight Saturday and drat, y'all weren't kidding. There's times where it gets a bit too Heavy Metal (the movie/mag I mean) but drat if it isn't the perfect thing to see on the big screen when you're half-asleep delirious.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of Wixploitation ends up getting mixed-in/conflated with a longer standing cycle of Liamsploitation. Like, you could argue that The Equalizer is Wixploitation, except it actually came out in the same year as John Wick. And both films, in their portrayals of older gentlemen being these hyper-competent, individual agents of brutalizing violence, are very much descendent of Taken.

Meanwhile, I think you could argue that the upcoming Peppermint is both explicitly Liamsploitation as well as Wixploitation.

And really, aren't the Neeson films a part of the greater Bronsploitation movement derived from Death Wish and its follow-ups?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I ate some edibles on Saturday night and it turned Valerian into a good movie?

It did not, however, turn Battle of Sevastopol into a good movie (despite an unexpected appearance by Woodie Guthrie!!). It's a film in which the message of the first hour is "woman killing fascists is good" and the message of the second hour is "but she needs to be fixed by some good dick". Still has a funny montage of Nazi killing set to Guthrie's Miss Pavlichenko.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

And really, aren't the Neeson films a part of the greater Bronsploitation movement derived from Death Wish and its follow-ups?

I'll grant the Neeson thing as a broader category that Wixploitation is largely building off of, but frankly I don't think they have a lot in common with Death Wish and related.

The key difference is that, in Death Wish, Paul Kersey isn't a violent person or in any way skilled in it from the get-go. He's a loving architect, not a veteran or hitman or police officer or superspy; when he begins his revenge (at least in the 1974 movie), it's consciously depicted as awkward as hell and Kersey is not shown to be fully comfortable with what he's doing.

Contrast with Taken, in which Neeson is established as someone you would absolutely not want to gently caress with from practically the first scene, or John Wick, which establishes the protagonist as a legendary hitman before the dog is even touched. The thing that separates these movies from your average vigilante movie is that the antagonists are, essentially, waking a sleeping giant rather than pushing a normal dude over the edge; it's more comparable to The Punisher, who in most incarnations is a decorated veteran well before any revenge becomes necessary, or Mack Bolan, who's basically a fictionalized crazy-person version of Carlos Hathcock.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The key difference is that, in Death Wish, Paul Kersey isn't a violent person or in any way skilled in it from the get-go. He's a loving architect, not a veteran or hitman or police officer or superspy; when he begins his revenge (at least in the 1974 movie), it's consciously depicted as awkward as hell and Kersey is not shown to be fully comfortable with what he's doing.

Had he not been in Korea in the first movie or was that added for the sequels?

In any event, I feel like the Death Wish sequels - particularly Death Wish 3 - can sometimes colour perceptions of the first movie, which I think is slightly less of an outright revenge fantasy than it's sometimes regarded as being.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really don't feel John Wick is remotely unique enough to justify it's own sub genre name

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you can find another neon soaked head shooting revenge series, I’m all for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axelblaze posted:

I really don't feel John Wick is remotely unique enough to justify it's own sub genre name

Yeah, same.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So what is the current status of MoviePass and its restrictions? Are there movies still blocked from the app? Are they limiting the number of movies you can see, etc.?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

If you can find another neon soaked head shooting revenge series, I’m all for it.

Pretty much Nicolas Winding Refn's entire filmography.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

:thunk:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Thing about The Purge and John Wick as reference points is that while they're certainly more recent and quality examples of their respective genres, neither is inventing something all that new. The Purge has certainly shown itself to be influential, but it's absolutely in the vain of Death Race 2000 and the myriad of American near-future dystopia films, while John Wick is even less unique as you can directly position it within the broader and more common revenge genre. Even its bright visuals had been in formation for several years, with Dredd, Refn's work, and plenty of other films already brought up here.

Again, both movies are excellent in their own right, but I think coining "sploitation" terms for them is putting the cart before the horse.

Something like the Blumhouse style, however (which The Purge is a part of), I think can be better defined. As a production company their films -- including Upgrade -- seem to share stylistic similarities in their dialogue, premises, and visuals. There will be a good book written about that company in 20 years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TrixRabbi posted:

Pretty much Nicolas Winding Refn's entire filmography.

Don’t remember a lot of head shots in those movies.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t remember a lot of head shots in those movies.

I remember one very big one.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So what is the current status of MoviePass and its restrictions? Are there movies still blocked from the app? Are they limiting the number of movies you can see, etc.?

On a given day there’s a list of movies you can use it on. A few weeks ago it was like two movies at a time but today it’s most of the stuff in theaters besides The Predator. You can only use it three times in a month and only once on a given title.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
John Wick is in the gun ballet genre, going back to HK films from the 80s. It's not a new thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

On a given day there’s a list of movies you can use it on. A few weeks ago it was like two movies at a time but today it’s most of the stuff in theaters besides The Predator. You can only use it three times in a month and only once on a given title.

Thanks. I'd want to use it on A Simple Favor but it hasn't shown up on the app and I didn't know if there were some shenanigans with it.

I also didn't know if there's some weird blacklisting/algorithm involved because when I search for it on Google the showtimes aren't automatically the first thing up unlike any other current release title I type in

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey y’all our friend needs some help
https://twitter.com/seespotgoranger/status/1041768395618877441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

John Wick is in the gun ballet genre, going back to HK films from the 80s. It's not a new thing.

It's very obvious that the directors watched a poo poo ton of John Woo growing up.

• Locked thread