Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kingdoms can have different succession laws and your second kingdom is probably using Gavelkind. Click the shields in the laws screen to change kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

flashman posted:

So I made England and then some rebels on the continent attacked lothranian ruler and I got a giant piece of land in East France and most of Italy. It was pretty hectic transferring vassals and stuff to get back to my limit ( I had been building centralization to increase my demense).

Now there is a title loss on succession of that kingdom and I'm not sure why. The heir to that kingdom is my second born son, and England the first born. I don't have the prestige to make an empire which I assume would fix that, why are the two kingdoms going to different heirs (same mother).
The most likely answer is gavelkind succession, which divides your titles among your various children. The best solution is moving to a single-heir succession like primo-/ultimo-geniture, seniority, or feudal elective. Failing that, making sure you only have one possible heir, whether by only legitimizing one bastard son, or by killing/castrating the spare heir(s), or having only one primary title to inherit.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you have the right DLC, you can form a custom empire to keep both kingdoms together. Otherwise, you can either accept the kingdoms drifting apart or use the claims your heirs get on eachother's kingdoms.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Yashichi posted:

I played a game in India to grab some achievements, so of course Europe went crazy. Germanic reformed before the year 800, HRE went Orthodox early on, and Catholicism was wiped out around 1100. There's also some of the worst borders I've ever seen:

I don't know. Sure, you have random patches of English or Polish sovereignty all over Europe, but the cruciform HRE more than makes up for that.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

Kingdoms can have different succession laws and your second kingdom is probably using Gavelkind. Click the shields in the laws screen to change kingdoms.

Ahh didn't realize I could have one primo and one gavel kind in two different kingdoms. Maybe I'll be able to change it before this fellow croaks but I'm not loved on the continent anyway so it's no great loss.

Thanks for the advice this thread has really helped get into the game and figure out what the hell is going on.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hi, I got this game for free a month or so back when Steam was giving it away, and I played a little bit of the tutorial for the first time last night followed by 2 hours of staring at the character selection screen and reading about the different bookmark start dates. I have over 400 hours in EUIV, so that's the Paradox experience I'm bringing over with me.

Only question right now is, are there any must-have DLC? Or should I play around a bit without any to start out?

Off-board consensus seems to be Way of Life and Conclave. The Old Gods looks interesting too. If I buy these right away (maybe not Old Gods but just the first two), will I be in for a harder time wrapping my head around everything? I don't know much about the content of these DLCs themselves either and why they're preferred, aside from Old Gods allowing for a further back start date.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Hi, I got this game for free a month or so back when Steam was giving it away, and I played a little bit of the tutorial for the first time last night followed by 2 hours of staring at the character selection screen and reading about the different bookmark start dates. I have over 400 hours in EUIV, so that's the Paradox experience I'm bringing over with me.

Only question right now is, are there any must-have DLC? Or should I play around a bit without any to start out?

Off-board consensus seems to be Way of Life and Conclave. The Old Gods looks interesting too. If I buy these right away (maybe not Old Gods but just the first two), will I be in for a harder time wrapping my head around everything? I don't know much about the content of these DLCs themselves either and why they're preferred, aside from Old Gods allowing for a further back start date.

My advice would be to get Way of Life and Conclave, then just jump into a game as the Irish duke of Desmumu in 1066. That'll teach you the basics (forging claims, diplomacy, dealing with vassals) and a clear goal (unite Ireland before Scotland and England eat you alive). After that you can look into either getting more DLC (Old Gods and Charlemagne for earlier start dates, Sword of Islam/the Republic/Rajas of India/Horse Lords/Jade Dragon/Sons of Abraham for playing as non-Christian fuedals, Monks and Mystics/Reaper's Due/Legacy of Rome for expanded game mechanics) or tool around in other locations to get more practice in (Duke of Bohemia and Duke of Apulia are both recommended).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

way of life and conclave both add quality of life mechanics that are applicable to all characters

way of life lets your ruler pick lifestyle focus which make them seem more like a living person. think of it like a hobby. this is a must have dlc because it just give you more stuff to do while you're not stabbing or conquering others. you don't need need this but it is way more entertaining to play with this dlc than without

conclave is also necessary because it overhauls your council mechanics and forces you to meaningfully interact more with your vassals in terms of sharing power and responsibility for ruling your realm. this sounds more complicated but it's really not, on the other hand non-conclave council mechanics are simple and boring. i would absolutely recommend this one because it would be weird to get it eventually and then have to re-learn council mechanics

reaper's due may also be necessary for you as it overhauls disease and illness mechanics, which is also interesting. you'll still have diseases and sickness without this dlc but it won't be as fun. not as vital as way of life though

monks and mystics unlocks secret societies which are meh. you don't really need them, but they're kind of fun sometimes. i would pick this up if you plan on picking up the next dlc, holy fury, which is going to add more societies.

it would not be easier or harder to learn the game without them. but, you might as well get them if you want to get into ck2, just because they are highly recommended.

all the other dlc is optional. none of it is really bad, but some of it is more specialized in terms of what it adds and if you are on a budget you can skip most of it

old gods is one of the dlc which unlocks different playstyles. normally in vanilla ck2 you're locked into catholic feudals, more or less. old gods unlocks pagans and vikings, which are fun because you just loot and conquer. recommended if you want to pillage and blob

sword of islam unlocks muslims, who are fun to play around with. also a bit conquery

legacy of rome unlocks retinues and adds stuff for the byzantine empire. you dont need retinues (personal standing armies) unless you are playing as a republic

the republic unlocks, uh, republics. elected, non-noble governments who have interesting mechanics. play if you want to be the doge godfather. have infinite money and murder people for kicks

sons of abraham adds content for the monotheistic religions, mostly bulking out catholicism. skippable

rajas of india, only get if you want to play in india

charlemagne, only get if you want to play as charlemagne or various gimmick playthroughs. old gods start date is early enough, charlie start date is so early that poo poo goes really off the rails

horse lords unlocks nomads. get if you want to play as nomads, who are like the ultimate form of constantly fighting, raiding, looting, and building piles of skulls

jade dragon, get if you play on the east side of the map and want to interact with offmap china

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
secret societies are indeed meh in terms of how engaging they are by themselves but it's worth mentioning they're also disgustingly powerful in terms of how much direct control they give the player over various things (e.g. satanists making intrigue almost as strong as it was when assassination was a decision instead of a MTTH event and the various Catholic orders giving you a "have kids yes/no" toggle. plus stealing / generating artifacts is really good.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

None are essential but all are good - I'd say play a bit now while you wait for a sale, then buy as many as you can afford. The one they haven't released yet looks fantastic.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
We really need to update the OP with which dlc is worth it. This is getting asked nearly every page now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think there was a plan discussed a few pages back to just make a new thread once Holy Fury was out and include all the FAQ's in the OP including DLC stuff.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I wouldn't recommend starting with Conclave. I like it now, but when I tried playing it the first time when I just recently started playing CKII I found it really confusing and frustrating.

My DLC opinions:

Make the game harder:
- conclave
- reaper's due

Make the game easier:
- China (unless you're playing where they're likely to invade you, but even then...)
- monks & mystics
- whichever one gives you retinues

Essential:
- way of life
- Sons of Abraham

The rest mostly allow you to play some specific religion / time period, get them if you want to play in the relevant time or place.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The priestly orders are not only good for getting a celibate toggle, they also tend to shift your traits toward the seven virtues. Conversely, the Satanists have incredibly powerful actions but lead to you getting the seven sins. Now, in some cases it's debatably which trait is better (Lustful or chaste? Greedy or charitable?), but in other cases there's no contest (Diligent vs slothful, temperate vs gluttonous). You can get a serious boost in stats and vassal opinion after some time in a priestly order.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Torrannor posted:

The priestly orders are not only good for getting a celibate toggle, they also tend to shift your traits toward the seven virtues. Conversely, the Satanists have incredibly powerful actions but lead to you getting the seven sins. Now, in some cases it's debatably which trait is better (Lustful or chaste? Greedy or charitable?), but in other cases there's no contest (Diligent vs slothful, temperate vs gluttonous). You can get a serious boost in stats and vassal opinion after some time in a priestly order.

And, most importantly, you can steal incredible artifacts! Join a priestly order for a couple generations, steal priceless relics that offer huge boosts to your realm, then go be a satanist or hermetic or whatever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They are also the easiest way of turning gay if you want to try and seduce all your vassals as a male leader.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Do like I did. Buy them all. The portraits, the songs, the mechanical DLC. All but the book. Never buy the book. THEN Learn how to play by making a werewolf viking who kills Cthulu, and kidnaps and converts the Karlings to reformed Norse, while establishing a Horse as Lord of the Horse Lords by marriage antics. :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The more DLCs you have, the better chance you have of having your game turn out really loving weird, which is one of the main reasons to play CK2.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah they're all good to have, even the portrait packs. They go on huge sales all the time.

Speaking of, has anyone confirmed how many portrait sets we're getting with Holy Fury? I was thinking two: Slavic and French, but there's a thread on the PDX forums that's fairly convinced we're getting five: Central, West, and South Slavic, French, and Italian (hilariously, this means that this will be the Italians' fourth portrait set: vanilla, potato Mediterranean, Iberian, Holy Fury Italian)

That's not even counting the new mix-and-match recycled portraits that the Hungarians are confirmed to be getting.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 17, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Portrait sets are the best, except the Russians, unless you want a bunch of crypt keeper lookalikes in eastern Europe.

Get the one that gives all Greeks funny hats

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So far I only bought Way of Life and Conclave. Conclave does look complicated, but it seems to change the mechanics so much that I'd rather just learn with it off the bat. I'll probably get a portrait pack or two once i figure out where my favorite places to play are.

If all goes well my next top two choices are Sons of Abraham (Cardinal College looks neat) and The Old Gods.

For some abstract reason, while looking at the character selection screen yesterday night, the HRE looks almost impossible to play in. Can someone articulate that for me? Or am I wrong?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I conquered all of England and most of Ireland, but didn't want to waste my time going one county at a time across some of the poorest land on the map. I had an ingenious idea to marry a claimant to the scottish throne to my heir and make her Queen so I could take all of Scotland in one fell swoop. She lasted a couple years before getting deposed and reduced to a countess. Then 50 years pass until she finally dies and leaves her grandson (my current ruler) with the claim to the throne.

Only thing was, my dude was 50 years old and sitting out 50% infamy from having reconquered Barcelona from the Umayyads. Why Catholics see that as a huge offense was beyond me, but I had to wait things out until the big members bowed out to make my move, but I still had to jump the gun to make sure I kept the claim, and had to duke it out with the Pope, Aquitaine, and every state in the rest of Britain. It was a big long fight, and towards the end my ruler died, leaving his heir, the chaste, incapable duke of Brittany to keep it up (apparently he had a stroke because of his half-sister daughter of satan). He died after about a week, so that all the good opinions of the last ruler could fade, and my next ruler could take over and finish the war, until he also had a stroke. He still managed to to become king of Scotland, but then passed away without ever recovering consciousness, so that Scotland's gavelkind could split it off to...his uncle? And a big chunk of my former territory went with it. :sigh: Now I've got to wait 10 years before I can try righting this wrong.

In this game, I've been trying to pay attention to dynasties and histories, and one of the big events was Africa somehow converting to catholicism, which...I'm not sure how it happened? In the history it shows the last muslim ruler as Emperor of Arabia, but then the title just disappears and this catholic guy pops up literally out of nowhere.

Other occurrances include the Isauros line dying out (after briefly merging with a steppe nomad tribe and having the Byzantine Empire as nomadic for a few years) in favor of a family named "Kastraitos" I targeted the Iceline family for destruction, and this weird character popped up out of nowhere as a Hindu Englishman, the only character with English culture in the entire game.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
CK3 needs a better chronicle. I don't give a gently caress about that time I won a battle whoever cares where, I care about interesting stuff happening all over the world. This could probably be done with logging, but it would be incredibly complicated to figure out what's important and who even cares. It would be so worth it, though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

In this game, I've been trying to pay attention to dynasties and histories, and one of the big events was Africa somehow converting to catholicism, which...I'm not sure how it happened? In the history it shows the last muslim ruler as Emperor of Arabia, but then the title just disappears and this catholic guy pops up literally out of nowhere.

Other occurrances include the Isauros line dying out (after briefly merging with a steppe nomad tribe and having the Byzantine Empire as nomadic for a few years) in favor of a family named "Kastraitos" I targeted the Iceline family for destruction, and this weird character popped up out of nowhere as a Hindu Englishman, the only character with English culture in the entire game.

The title "The Liberator" means that he's the winner of a liberation revolt, meaning that there was a catholic liberation revolt that won, there. North Africa starts out with some christian provinces at earlier start dates, so it happens sometimes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DISCO KING posted:

CK3 needs a better chronicle. I don't give a gently caress about that time I won a battle whoever cares where, I care about interesting stuff happening all over the world. This could probably be done with logging, but it would be incredibly complicated to figure out what's important and who even cares. It would be so worth it, though.

That what I liked with Genghis Khan II on the SNES. World map is about the same size of CKII from England to Japan with smaller lands due to the system. But you would get told of revolts, wars and death of major rulers. Along stuff like diseases and weather events happening in areas.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Conclave does look complicated, but it seems to change the mechanics so much that I'd rather just learn with it off the bat.

good idea. the thing is basically that, without conclave, you always want to have the person with the best stat for a job in that council job. you want the most diplomatic person as your chancellor, the person with the most stewardship as your steward, etc. well, not always - sometimes you make some poor doomed idiot with 0 intrigue score your spymaster, so you can send him off on the worlds shortest spy mission in the hope he gets killed off. it's an easy way to murder someone if your intrigue score is also low

with conclave, you now have three things to care about. a vassal's power, the political stance of the councilor, and their stats as in pre-enclave

some vassals are so powerful in your realm that they demand representation on the council. this is represented by a brown or red fist in the lower right hand side of their portrait. red means they do not have a seat, brown means they do. someone with a red fist will be mad at you because they want a seat. they don't care what seat they have, and at higher level titles you will get special advisor slots on your council that don't allow anything but a vote on council matters

also, councilors can have a political stance. a green thumbs up is a loyalist, they will vote for whatever you want. a red thumbs down means they are disloyal, they will vote against you no matter what. a gold star is a glory hound, they like fighting and dislike beating up on weak nations (no prestige in an unfair fight) and will vote for laws that make the realm stronger, like centralization laws. pragmatists have a blue apple and prefer centralizing tasks (breaking up strong vassals, gaining new territory) but are more neutral on fighting. white hands means a zealot, they prefer beating up on heretics and may block wars if there are other wars you can fight against heathens. this political stance can change due to modifiers, if your king is cool and good and everyone's friend then you will see more loyalists and a council full of them is a rubber stamp. but if your king is a dumb fuckup then you'll get a lot of disloyalists and that is bad

councilors will also attempt to persuade each other to vote their way. so, if you have a powerful vassal who hates you and you put him on the council, he may play council politics to block your agenda and mess with you. if you can't seem to get any laws passed check your council, if everyone has a little swirly thing around their portrait with a tooltip that says "returning favor to lord fucker who hates you" then that dude has persuaded everyone to vote his way, to piss on you. if you fire him then his hold on power breaks and you can get laws passed again. so you'll need to be careful but it's not a dire situation unless your council is so powerful that you can't fire dudes at will.

For some abstract reason, while looking at the character selection screen yesterday night, the HRE looks almost impossible to play in. Can someone articulate that for me? Or am I wrong?

don't be afraid to play as a vassal, in this game it's not a bad thing and often it can be more fun to try to climb the ladder of the HRE or the byzantines, or just gently caress with people from inside. all that political stuff i talked about above, with your vassals blocking you and foiling your plans? you can do that too, to your liege. and while you're a member of the HRE you're like in a big gang, you can go conquer non-HRE neighbors and be a bastard but if someone wants to declare war on you they often declare war on EVERYONE in your liege's realm. one thing you can try in the 1066 start is playing as robert of apulia in southern italy. it's easy to create the kingdom of sicily and then, just to shake things up, swear fealty to the byzantine emperor. from here you can pretty much beat on anyone you like in italy without worrying too much about the pope trying to crusade you. often swearing fealty to a powerful king can be a great idea for the protection you gain relative to the freedom you give up, and smart play often results in you eventually taking the crown for yourself

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I just noticed that the Vandal kings are there, wow.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

I just noticed that the Vandal kings are there, wow.

Yeah there's a lot of history on titles before the start dates. You should check out the history on the Byzantine Emperor.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Regarding Conclave, any of the powerful vassal stuff can be safely ignored till you start getting Dukes for vassals (or be a Duke and lose like every county due to having a shitload of kids and gavelkind succession). Just stick the best/yes men in position when needed. When you're a count, any vassals you have are basically cannonfodder. You only really need to pay attention you want to swap inheritance or if you really need to get those couple of troops/ducats from a happy vassal. As a Duke, generally you are dealing with Counts who have less land than you, and you get a bonus for levys amount in your capital dutchy. Unless you get some mega counts or have everyone hate you, they can generally be safely ignored.

Edit

That difficulty meter is not very good. It's basically more troops & higher rank (including vassals) is easier. It doesn't take into account if all your vassals hate you or how many nearby empires/vassals have claims on all your poo poo. I'd almost say you can just invert the difficulty meter as a good rule of thumb. The less full it is, the more politics and bullshit you have to deal with. Once you stabilize, you are set though. The exception is a single holding count, as those starts can be slow and difficult.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 18, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Regarding Conclave, any of the powerful vassal stuff can be safely ignored till you start getting Dukes for vassals (or be a Duke and lose like every county due to having a shitload of kids and gavelkind succession). Just stick the best/yes men in position when needed. When you're a count, any vassals you have are basically cannonfodder. You only really need to pay attention you want to swap inheritance or if you really need to get those couple of troops/ducats from a happy vassal. As a Duke, generally you are dealing with Counts who have less land than you, and you get a bonus for levys amount in your capital dutchy. Unless you get some mega counts or have everyone hate you, they can generally be safely ignored.

yeah, this is a good point. you don't have to be scared of a red fist guy. sometimes it's good to not give one of these dudes a seat, you might piss them off enough to rebel against you which is when you have a good chance to beat them up, throw them in jail, and take their titles. don't be afraid to be a dick to your vassals if you need to, especially if you try to provoke just one vassal while the rest like you

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So I have been executing a (for me, very rare) plan to gain a bunch of land by inheritance rather than conquest - the very brief version is that I (King of Wales) was very lucky and there was a single female countess up in Scotland (with 3 counties to her name) that was willing to do a non-matrilineal marriage with one of my sons. She did already have a child from a previous marriage, but Stage 1 (stab baby) took care of that issue. Stage 2 of the plan went fine as we inherited Wales (and Ireland) and are now set for the next generation to also inherit the Scottish lands.

There is a snag. The eldest child of this marriage died, and the next kid up has Scottish culture. (The kids were all unfortunately raised at their mother's court because their dad hadn't inherited his own throne yet) It's not a huge deal, but both for RP purposes and avoiding the foreigner malus in Wales I'd prefer to get back to a Welsh culture ruler.

The education system is something that I still only have a really rudimentary grasp on: what's gonna be the easiest way to get a Welsh-culture heir again? (I know I could console command it, but outside of that) Obviously having my character raise them isn't going to work.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Once you're playing as the guy, you can easily culture convert to the culture of your capital county through the county menu. I think this came with a DLC, but maybe it's patched into all versions of the game.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

pidan posted:

Once you're playing as the guy, you can easily culture convert to the culture of your capital county through the county menu. I think this came with a DLC, but maybe it's patched into all versions of the game.

Oh, perfect.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

It costs you a fair lump of prestige iirc.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Couldn't you also just wait until the Scot has an heir, and then have them tutored in heritage by a Welsh guardian? A one generation gap, but wouldn't be the end of the world.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Switch to Scottish for the retinue. :hist101:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

This requires Rajahs of India.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah there's a lot of history on titles before the start dates. You should check out the history on the Byzantine Emperor.

You can go all the way back to Augustus (Julius?) IIRC.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Fintilgin posted:

You can go all the way back to Augustus (Julius?) IIRC.

Muhammad is also there if you look back far enough. His portrait is just a symbol, which I thought was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Torrannor posted:

This requires Rajahs of India.

Just goes to show that everyone really needs all the DLCs.

• Locked thread