Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Austin by S M, on Flickr

Edit: I guess I love posting stuff that I haven't properly straightened and cropped.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 27, 2018

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

000001.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000005.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000006.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
kids by roland luijken, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Angers by roland luijken, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I've had the photographic version of erectile dysfunction all year so I've been shooting some 120 pinholes to try and motivate myself

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sludge Tank posted:

I've had the photographic version of erectile dysfunction all year so I've been shooting some 120 pinholes to try and motivate myself

What kind of film is that? 120?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nice feeling of acceleration

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
yeah 120 foma100, 200 and portra400

aperture is f/160

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Sinclair

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

New Braunfels by S M, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

raw0020.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

raw0002.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think I asked about this a while back in the film thread. It was about an issue that 1.) had only appeared in one photo, and 2.) was hard to demonstrate with a web-size image. Since then, I've gotten a higher-res scan of the negative in question and come across a similar issue with a different negative. Click on thumbnails for an enlarged view.

This image...

...is bitingly sharp on the left, but kind of blurry on the right. It's just about a half-and-half split.

(The blurry part)

(The sharper part.)

The vast majority of photos from this camera are uniformly sharp. This photo was taken at f/16, so there should be decent sharpness extending behind the railing into the trees.

The only cause I can really imagine is that the camera shook a bit during exposure, but not before part of the image was exposed while the camera was still. The shutter speed was about 1 second, and the tripod was kind of crappy and on soft ground. Does this sound reasonable at all? Camera in question is a Pentax 6x7 MLU, so shutter vibrations at slow speeds can cause problems without a good sturdy tripod.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
how are you scanning and could it just be your scanning setup

is it sharp under loupe or unsharp under loupe

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah if it is blur on the film itself, it could be a problem with your film back or a decentered lens even.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

So I bought myself a Mamiya Six Automat I.

It's super fun to have a 6x6 camera that you can just put in a jacket pocket or a small backpack. I have a small messenger bag (Chrome Kadet) and it's the perfect size for a light meter, the folder camera, some rolls of film, and a pen + notepad. The Mamiya comes with me everywhere now and it's great. I'm looking forward to taking it mountain biking and skiing.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Which did you get, with the Olympus lens?
How is the size of the rangefinder, is it old-school-small?
How is the image quality?

Been thinking about one for a long time.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

Which did you get, with the Olympus lens?
How is the size of the rangefinder, is it old-school-small?
How is the image quality?

Been thinking about one for a long time.

Yeah it has the Oly D.Zuiko lens.

Rangefinder is kinda small and pretty dim - I took the camera apart to clean it and found that the mirror was corroded. As this was noted by the seller I wasn't too upset but I'm looking into replacing the mirror. In the meantime I put a dot of black tape on the viewfinder where the rangefinder circle would be and it's increased the contrast substantially. As a glasses-wearer, rangefinders tend to be a bit difficult but I don't really have any serious problems with this one...after the tape trick.

Under the right conditions the image quality seems to be alright:

The out of focus areas aren't super pretty, I suppose, but I have no complaints.

Overall I'm pretty thrilled with this camera and I highly recommend picking one up if you're at all on the fence. I've been interested in folders for a while now but I chose the Mamiya due to it's film plane focusing, which I think pretty neat but it also holds the film flatter than other folders.

Rot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 27, 2018

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Portable big negative is the reason an Iskra is my next refurb project... whenever it arrives from a shady gentleman in Siberia.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Rot posted:

It's super fun to have a 6x6 camera that you can just put in a jacket pocket or a small backpack. I have a small messenger bag (Chrome Kadet) and it's the perfect size for a light meter, the folder camera, some rolls of film, and a pen + notepad. The Mamiya comes with me everywhere now and it's great. I'm looking forward to taking it mountain biking and skiing.

Looking good. Reminds me of the 80mm Arsat from the Kiev 60. Remember about what aperture it was taken at?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Looking good. Reminds me of the 80mm Arsat from the Kiev 60. Remember about what aperture it was taken at?

Oh jeez, I'm not sure what the aperture was. That was shot on Ektar 100 and it was pretty sunny but in a valley...maybe somewhere in the f/8 range? There's no detents on the aperture ring so I kinda wing it and dial in what feels right at the time.

I even wrote an Android app to make recording this stuff easier but I'm still in the habit of checking the meter once and then wandering around adjusting from there, never bothering to write any notes.

Rot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 28, 2018

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rot posted:

Nice, the ebay prices look very reasonable for a nice condition one out of Japan. I might have to pick one up myself.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’ve been thinking of grabbing a medium / large format, think that Mamiya would be a good starting one? It seems fairly reasonably priced for the quality. Most other MF/LF stuff is a bit intimidating in regards to what to look for, there’s no obvious starting point.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That Mamiya seems/looks like a decent deal, especially with prices for a lot of stuff going up so much in the past year. Especially the whole 'more secure pressure plate' thing. Even if the lens isn't super sharp, I personally put way more stock in across-the-frame image consistency. What's the point of a sharp lens if it's going to be assymetrically smeared/blurry/unsharp on some part of the image? That's much less aesthetically pleasing than the presence of absence of some super-critical fine detail that doesn't even show up in prints.

Here's my running list of MF cameras I've tried, and their issues...

Arax/Kiev 60: shutter banding at high speeds
RZ67: nothing. Not all the lenses were perfect though. My 65/4 (floating system) was decentered, an example of what I'm writing about above; a blistering sharp lens that was always smeary in one corner. A shame.
GA645Zi: some light decentering (but hey, it's a zoom)
G690/BLP: sticky film gate curtain. Film flatness issues.
GS-1: Eventually some film flatness issues. But hey, interchangable backs. This one is a sleeper champ and still a great value. Lenses are :discourse: Tamron must have bought them for their coating patents. Their optics are perfectly color balanced. Like CZ T*.
Hasselblad 500C: I bought a cheap, heavily-used body and lens. Ugh. Lots of mechanical problems. Old 12exp back definitely had some issues.
Pentax 6x7: currently evaluating. Jury still out.

So out of the 7 I've tried, 3 had film flatness issues. A 4th (P6x7) may have it too, but I'm waiting to see for sure.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 30, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If i could go back I'd get a non-electronic camera but my Pentax 6x7 has been fun. Its not something you enjoy taking out with 3 lenses though, it's seriously heavy even with a proper bag. I'd say it has the benefit of being very similar to 35mm film cameras so it's very easy to move into.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004