Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kill it kill it kill it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Welcome back, Yooper! Let's see if we can't KO that container ship!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Divert, this is why we have that beast at all.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It's time to Sink Ships and Sink Ships

Also whoo this is back!

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Kill it with exocets

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Snark posted:

Call me crazy but I think we need to Exocet the poo poo out of that "tanker" lest it start whipping out cruise missiles or something. Point being it needs to die.

Kill it ! Kill it now !

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
The Atlantique would be an expensive thing to lose while it's pretending to be a strike aircraft over Pula. Best to let it kill the tanker in case it has any further surprises up its sleeve.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
kill the ship

The atlantique is a key asset but if our hangars get missile'd everyones dead dave, so roll on that ship

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
FrangibleCover's right, let the Atlantique do what it does best.

Sink that bote

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Yup, that tanker needs to die, before it starts spamming klub-k's everywhere! (Again?) SINK DAT BOAT

alternatively, get the NH90 to CSAR as many angry dutchmen as it can carry, and tell them to go capture their next bote! cover em with the atlantique

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would support such piracy but there's not enough time to scrounge up parrots, peg legs and metal hooks.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

Thinking about it, some better separation of the timestamps would be nice. Maybe put those in code (or quote) tags so there's an easily visible divider?

This is a good idea and I'll see what I can do to differentiate times a bit better.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

FrangibleCover posted:

The Atlantique would be an expensive thing to lose while it's pretending to be a strike aircraft over Pula. Best to let it kill the tanker in case it has any further surprises up its sleeve.

And while we're at it, tell Whale, Psychosocial, and Peanut that this is literally what we pay them for.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A. Kill that loving bote

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The next best thing to having a bote is blowing one up.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Make the Bote Lobby angry! Blow up da bote!

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
A. Sink the bote

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

A. Sink the boat

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

gently caress.

It's the investors.

Herbert is gonna poo poo a brick.

WTF. Now's not a good time guys, can you at least wait for the ordnance to stop flying before you pick over the bones of these dead empires?

Yooper posted:

Now we're faced with a decision. Whale-Pyschosocial-Peanut are descending into Gjader. With our botes on the bottom the BR.1150 is our only bird in the air capable of dealing that container ship some damage right now. We can either :

1. divert Whale-Pyschosocial-Peanut for an Exocet kill
2. or continue to rearm the BR.1150 for the upcoming strike.

Vote: 2. or continue to rearm the BR.1150 for the upcoming strike.

I realize I'm the only one voting 2, and, I think its important to stick to the plan. Sending out one lone plane in the midst of this cluster is going to get it dead.

Yooper posted:

Back to you Hired Goons! We'll do a quick tally and use this as a test run for the SSLP format. Looking good so far?

Looking good, I'm liking this new format; let's us digest the information more readily, and, vote on how to react to developments.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I may be biased but...

Option 1 FIRE ZE MISSILES!!!! :black101:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Balkan Shield

Whale - Psychosocial - Peanut canceled the final approach and are gaining altitude to go an pop a few Exocets into that freighter. We also crank the speed up to Military, a whopping 325 knots.

Oddly enough the contacts to our north gave gone off the radar.

Scratch that!

We've got 4 MIG-29's inbound. Once they get a bit closer we should get a fix from the S100.

And I'm sure you're wondering about our ultra-capable (and cost effective) Gripens... Roughly 3 minutes to finish re-arming and about 2 minutes to get birds in the air.

According to 2.0 we will "Launch Gripens (RADAR OFF) and orbit Gjader at Minimum Altitude.

I've set a Patrol Mission to orbit a single point near Gjader at the target altitude. We'll manually task them as targets approach.

We've got what looks like an attack wing inbound. The three leading aircraft are not emitting while the MIG-29's behind are.

Gripens are hot! We've got Bobcat9 Flight with Ghostsight-Lancer and Ventura-Lunatic followed up by Iceman1 Flight with Greenhorn-Handle Bar and Mazda-Bluetick. Between the pair we have 24 Meteors. Twenty Four.

(OOC : So uh, it seems Unfriendly gets fired upon. This is unintentional on my part, but I thought it was funny. The Helo is now marked as a neutral contact.)

Exocets away! Whale & Co. are high-tailing out and are now RTB for a well earned 18 hour rest. Add to this a 48 hour hangover and we'll see them next Sunday.

As per 3.1 and 3.2, I'm going live on the OECM and preparing the Gripen flights to intercept the hostiles. Once the rest of the aircraft are in the air we'll go hunting...

And the Bisons are live a split second later. As per instructions I'm launching 4 of them with a single bird in reserve. Two of them landed late and will be ready a bit later. Same for our F-15 Akef's (once they are ready in 5 minutes).

We'll add the Gripens to the strike mission once the Bisons are active.

We're getting flickers of radar data from inside Kosovo. A Tunguska battery went live along with some Akash SAM's.

18 nm out and the Exocets go live.

Bisons are in the air. Once they are at altitude we'll add some Gripens to the mix.

Bingo! Two direct hits. 300 kg's of supersonic explosive just detonated inside of that freighter. Unfortunately we don't have eyes nearby to help us determine what actually happened.

And at that we'll go live to the YouTube video. I apologize that it went a bit longer than intended.

https://youtu.be/YU_5D6-rDg0

Chock up another round for the Gripens. The flying gas tanks also did pretty well. MIG-29's. Not so much. The Fullbacks kind of just ate missiles and died. Welp.

Harm Flights (Eagles) are RTB while our strike package is about to line up.

And that's when we notice the accountants unloading from a very posh, gold flake painted, silver gilded, helo.

Asiff Dahaviasani is well known to Hired Goons Corporate. He's the "overlord" of the HG investment project. A man of few words but of many pocket calculators. Came to fame when he both bought, sold, and mortgaged a set of hospitals in Italy that GS didn't even own but managed to litigate there way to a strong bargaining position. With him is his usual pack of lawyers, accountants, brokers, purchasing agents, and eBay junkies.

The only other person of mention is Holland Hollace the IVth. He's so blue blood that silver tarnishes in his hands. During the mortgage crisis of 2007 he even shorted GS' own assets, all the while turning a profit as he did it. Known for sweep sales where he air drops into a factory, sells drat near everything of value, and somehow manages to squeak out a buck all the while posturing for the real estate. He's not in it for the money, but rumored as an agent for the Rothschild's.

They don't even acknowledge us. Or the Albanians. Or the mercenaries. They simply start taking inventory.

But back to the mission... Coffee-Fish Sandwich lead the way with a trio of ALARM's. So far we don't have eyes on any hostile AAA of Radar in the neighborhood of Sjenica.

Sabotage, in a MIG-21 has just blasted into the air and is circling while the Tornado's prep to launch.

The moment our fearless Tornado pilots are airborne they launch every single Storm Shadow and enter the landing track.

Coffee-Fish Sandwich are reporting oddities in radar signatures. The Shilka's are bouncing about, the radar signatures are ugly. They try to swoop in with the Alarms but they seem to get confused and dodge about before detonating in the distance. I-SPY reports signal oddities in the distance from an unknown source.

The Alarm finally gets a lock and is promptly shot down as it speeds toward the target. Coffee-Fish Sandwich depart, the only consolation being the radar signature data from a most unusual jamming.

6 Storm Shadows come in, 500 ft AGL, at 550 kts. Seeing difficulty I have tasked the Kfir's towards Sjenica as well in case this sortie doesn't pan out.

All 6 Storm Shadows impact the facilities at Sjenica.

Both of the hangars evaporate into the air. But, according to CNNBCCBC footage, the SU-27's have survived while almost all of the SU-24's are destroyed.

All hostiles cleared from the air, no threats inbound, the Hired Goons stand down. A pair of Gripens and a Mig stand guard while the support aircraft comes in for a landing. The Albanians stream out from Gjader unsure of what the future holds. Three of our ships sit on the bottom. Wreckage and debris has rained down across the Adriatic and over the Dalmatian coast. Our Ground Master radar is a smoking pile of debris. Two NH90's sit on the bottom beside the Doormans. Not to mention one of our MIG-21's and a pair of Eagles.

It's an uncertain survival. 3D printed armor is moving through the Balkans. An unknown quantity of Radar and Comms jamming stations is flickering to life to our North.

And then the footage comes on the news channels. Not of the Hired Goons, but from EU.NATO.

It's too early to tell, but it appears that the entire strike force was trapped behind a wall of 3rd rate SAM systems and overwhelmed. Two sections of Eurofighter Typhoons, JAS 39C's, L-159A Alca, and Tornado IDS's all fell from the sky. EU.NATO is stunned. The world is not surprised. EU.NATO is in turmoil as the internet erupts in debate. Has the day of governments and treaties ended and the reign of the corporations begun?

There it is Hired Goons. The start of a new, potentially more profitable, but infinitely more dangerous world.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Sounds like flying anything above the Balkans in anger is a bad idea.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wellp, this is a thing. I suppose in our next round of acquisitions we can also start to beef up our airfield defenses. Maybe get some more layered ones and radar coverage for it? And let's save the boats until we have an idea of waht we might use them for. And if the old ones are salvagable.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Beautiful. Hope the new format is working for you because I love being able to sit and digest.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Victory for no losses! I think this new format is really helping!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Beautiful. Hope the new format is working for you because I love being able to sit and digest.

Agreed. Its nice to be able to get the highlights and think about things at our leisure.

"Hey Asia and Holland, while you're here, can we talk about around round of funding? Based on what's happening, think this may be the time to expand aggressively, we can very likely get some highly lucrative contracts with EU.NATO right now."

"Hey, Andy? So, How Now Brown Cow?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
should have shot down the G&S chopper

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, did we get any actual payment for the defense? That's a lot of shot down things. But also it's a lot of money i the hole - losses are still losses, and we have to pay out for Meteors - tahts' nto even going into if we can replace the ships yet. The Tokyo Bay Fortress will need repairs - presuming we can reloat it. This has still been an expensive engagement - especially if we're not on contract. But, to Goons, we survived.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are the Greeks churning out warships?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

And that's when we notice the accountants unloading from a very posh, gold flake painted, silver gilded, helo.

They don't even acknowledge us. Or the Albanians. Or the mercenaries. They simply start taking inventory.

So here's what our force looks like now, contractors and all.

Yooper posted:

Asset List

Yooper posted:

Option #2 - 300 Soldiers - APC's - Light Armor - Mortars - $20 Million Retainer

Chingola LLC
Once members of the Zambia Defence Force, this group fought against encroaching militias and crazy people (picture above) and worked to keep Zambia from not being like most of the rest of Africa. After the 2nd economic reform of Zambia the military found itself unfunded and this group struck out for greener ($$$) pastures. Not quite as hardcore as the Koreans, but they know a good fight when they see it. Used to close quarters fighting.

Auxiliaries: 140 Albanians.

And here's what's coming down the pipe.

Yooper posted:

We'll likely do some inventory trimming due to Goldman inventory and regulatory requirements. Too many assets on the books make Igor the Accountant angry. More details to come.

Procurement will likely head to a package setup again. It seemed to work best with the fewest headaches. Though I'm open to suggestion.

Since the Goldman guys seem like they're gonna take an axe to things, we might be able to make some...suggestions for what gets cut and what gets bought.

In term of trimming, there are a few candidates.

The lone AMX isn't fast enough or big enough to play with the other strikers. The F-15D Akefs have been really solid A2G performers (those GBU-15s wrecked poo poo on Operation Catlike Tread) and middling A2A fighters. Maybe it's CMANO's fault, maybe it's bad goon planning, or just bad luck. I'd say it's up or out for them. [url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=174512&perpage=40&pagenumber=10]Upgrade them to Baz-2000 or F-15I[/ur] or sell 'em. The Floggers are mean mud-movers, but they have nil self-defense capability and no in-flight refueling.

When it comes to pickups, we don't really need any new aircraft. Whatever we buy would just have cheaper weapons (AMRAAMs instead of Meteors) and give us a cushion for future losses. Multi-role strike fighters (F-16, Mirage 2000) are the easiest to use for us and for Yooper. Light attackers (A-7s) and heavy strikers (A-6s) could be fun though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

should have shot down the G&S chopper

Comically enough it had a Meteor headed towards it once the Gripens went airborne. I caught it in time and deleted the missile. Oops. One benefit of me being able to take my time and fix mistakes.

wedgekree posted:

So, did we get any actual payment for the defense?

None.

RandomPauI posted:

Are the Greeks churning out warships?

This is worth noting.

Yes.

And the Greek "Government" is an on the book asset of YUGOIMPORT who is a wholly owned subsidiary of... ROMARM. So through accountancy hell the Greeks are potentially hostile. Or, potentially not. The Greek Government is watching all of this closely and, after digging themselves out of austerity, have no interest in digging themselves back into a war bonds hole for someone elses war.

Bacarruda posted:

So here's what our force looks like now, contractors and all.

A statement from the GS folks will be coming soon along with a theater update.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You surely picked a great time to shoot down an Il-20 Coot.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gervasius posted:

You surely picked a great time to shoot down an Il-20 Coot.

https://twitter.com/EmbassyofRussia/status/1041965375427096576

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

A statement from the GS folks will be coming soon along with a theater update.

Oh boy. I can't wait to see what insane ideas corporate comes up with. I do hope they don't make us pawn off the Gripens or the Tornadoes.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Bacarruda posted:

Oh boy. I can't wait to see what insane ideas corporate comes up with. I do hope they don't make us pawn off the Gripens or the Tornadoes.

I hope their plans involve super tucano's

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
The Gripens and S 100B are going to get sent back to SAAB for "evaluation" and get stuck in Swedish bureaucracy hell, aren't they? :ohdear:

Whatever we do next should involve piracy or drones. Actually, working for the CIA or something might be fun.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 18, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The timing of this getting going again and the actual events in Syria last night are incredible. The real-world scenario is straight out of CMANO right up to the neutral (or maybe orange...) contact taking unintended fire!

https://twitter.com/TheBaseLeg/status/1041975988844814336

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

The timing of this getting going again and the actual events in Syria last night are incredible. The real-world scenario is straight out of CMANO right up to the neutral (or maybe orange...) contact taking unintended fire!

https://twitter.com/TheBaseLeg/status/1041975988844814336

I was literally wearing a black eye patch, Moshe Dayan style, last night too. I had a metal chip ground out of my eye earlier in the day. Take that odd IDF connection how you will. Timing indeed.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Yooper posted:

I was literally wearing a black eye patch, Moshe Dayan style, last night too. I had a metal chip ground out of my eye earlier in the day. Take that odd IDF connection how you will. Timing indeed.

He was so amazing back then....

AmyL fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Clearly the vampire squidfolk will be looking to sell off the stuff that's expensive to run or that will get good return for value. So that means say goodbye to the F-117s and the Gripens (or we keep the Gripens but they don't let us buy any more Meteors).

Just as clearly, we should quietly reach out to EU.NATO and offer them SEAD services... for a significant markup now that they've gone and gotten their own planes shot down.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 18, 2018