Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

howe_sam posted:

Okay yes, yes please. Using the Blockbuster to establish the time period :kiss:

This works really well for Americans and not at all in any way for the rest of the world though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

Going Binary?

Yeah it’s basically her going Super Saiyan iirc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zzulu posted:

This works really well for Americans and not at all in any way for the rest of the world though

Expecting America to give a poo poo about the rest of the world in 2018 is really something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The rest of the world brings in more money than America does for movies like this

I guess it doesn't matter much, I'm sure they'll have other hints for the audience as well

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have they said whether she's able to fly under her own power in the movie?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zzulu posted:

They did have Blockbusters in the UK, Mexico and Australia too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

It says video, establishing it's a video store. I thought it was a pretty well known fact that all video rental stores were either dying or dead.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have they said whether she's able to fly under her own power in the movie?

I would assume. They probably didn’t have good cgi shots of that done yet. It’s one of her major powers.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So are we thinking some crazy stasis magic for her not aging between the 90s and now?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Don't want to sound like a negative nancy, but i am a negative nancy soooo

That trailer did very little for me. It looks kind of dull. Like what's the hook? I was more excited to see two seconds of young Samuel L Jackson than anything else going on in the trailer

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that this looks like current day Clark Gregg but just with more hair. The man doesn't age.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Jamesman posted:

I still think it'd be very, very funny, if they set up all this hype for Carol, and then Avengers 4 starts and we just see her beeper laying next to a pile of ash.

How's that trilogy coming, Rian?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gritty Tintin reboot looking fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Samuringa posted:

Mohawk Helmet :swoon:

gently caress yes

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Needs the Mohawk helmet, imo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Endless Mike posted:

I hope Young Nick Fury's best friend Cheese makes an appearance!

lmfao I can never get over the nickname Cheese.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Back to the Blockbuster chat a new store is opening up in London.

For two days.

And you can only get Deadpool 2.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I don’t know why I love seeing an old lady Skrull get punched, but more of that please.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are y'all following this Fan Bingbing poo poo at all. Fuckin' bizarre.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I don’t know why I love seeing an old lady Skrull get punched, but more of that please.

*hopefully a Skrull

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 18, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Hot Fuzz is the trend setter on punching old people.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yes if she is not a Skrull I retract my statement.

What are the odds that a bunch of actors have to commit to saying “Psyche-Magnitron” a bunch of times in this?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zzulu posted:

Like what's the hook?

That she doesn't know she's human or from Earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish she had the full coloured suit the whole time.

e: Yeah. I do wonder what's selling the movie to a general audience who'll never have heard of the character.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 18, 2018

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Cythereal posted:

That she doesn't know she's human or from Earth.

Half Human I thought.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Excited for the mohawk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Really excited to see how they lay out her new origin and if Law is indeed Mar-Vell.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Yeah. I do wonder what's selling the movie to a general audience who'll never have heard of the character.

It’s the first Marvel movie headlined by a female superhero.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, watch that fade timing.

A HERO starts as HER.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, watch that fade timing.

A HERO starts as HER.

That was excellent and I'm just going to believe it was done just to piss off the guys bitching about women and minorities.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish she had the full coloured suit the whole time.

The same thing that sold Guardians of the Galaxy?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's frustrating how much Disney hate money that they wouldn't make more of an effort with the trailer. The production value on the movie seems great, though, looks expensive as hell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ufarn posted:

It's frustrating how much Disney hate money that they wouldn't make more of an effort with the trailer. The production value on the movie seems great, though, looks expensive as hell.

I noted over in CineD that I think this trailer was mainly meant for normal people, who have never heard of Captain Marvel. "This is who she is, this is the basics of her story, here's what the plot is going to involve" is all I think a first trailer needs to do, while including a few little bits for the comic nerds.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ufarn posted:

It’s an initial teaser trailer for a movie that comes out in 6 months and probably doesn’t have a lot of its CGI done. Probably done to bridge the gap because Marvel doesn’t usually have this long between films.

And to be honest, I thought the trailer hit the character beats really well. The images of Carol falling down throughout her life and then getting up every time set the stage for her character really well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Decent trailer but man Brie Larson could not look more bored.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Decent trailer but man Brie Larson could not look more bored.

Haven't seen Skull Island, have you?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have, but I forgot she was even in it. Probably for a reason.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I noted over in CineD that I think this trailer was mainly meant for normal people, who have never heard of Captain Marvel. "This is who she is, this is the basics of her story, here's what the plot is going to involve" is all I think a first trailer needs to do, while including a few little bits for the comic nerds.
What I really hate about it is that the frantic editing is made worse by those one-second clips that literally only exist for YouTubers and websites to pause and play back frame by frame, because it's impossible to see just watching the trailer.

I wasn't even able to pause at those scenes without having to go back to them.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I just want to know why the slogan on the poster is just "Higher Further Faster" instead of "Higher Further Faster More."
:mad:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I can't help but think that they're doing the Secret Invasion Mar-Vell storyline, but with Carol. She is in fact a Skrull sleeper agent sent to conquer Earth and the drama comes from how she deals with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I can't help but think that they're doing the Secret Invasion Mar-Vell storyline, but with Carol. She is in fact a Skrull sleeper agent sent to conquer Earth and the drama comes from how she deals with that.

That could jibe with what we see in the trailer. I'd be okay with it.

• Locked thread