Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

DON'T DROWN! TURN AROUND!

that should be what the sign says when u cross the Florida border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Duscat posted:

the thing that's striking me about this thread vs the houston hurricane thread is there's only like 10 goons tops even remotely affected by north carolina going under the waters

houston has a booming tech industry, apparently, so there's no surprise there's a concentration there

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Why would we close the schools? There is literally nothing happening!

https://twitter.com/SpecNewsRDU/status/1041681632355336192?s=19

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

my evacuee parents are still staying with me

I'm losing my mind

:rip:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
More headaches as Florence’s waters overtake toxic pits and hog lagoons

:black101:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

Why would we close the schools? There is literally nothing happening!

https://twitter.com/SpecNewsRDU/status/1041681632355336192?s=19

if nothing else those kids will be able to top any walking to school uphill both ways bullshit stories their nursing home roommates try to tell someday

shut up nerd i went to school in a tornado hand over your good pills or im telling the nurse youve been faking palsy for your special sponge baths

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

instead of the category system hurricanes should instead be classified by the ways it can kill you. So instead of people going "oh hey it's a category 2 pffft" they'll be like "oh so instead of getting hit by a windborne Volvo I'll drown in pig poo poo water, I should still evacuate"

twoday
May 4, 2005

finally

Also, the death toll is up to 32 now, almost doubling since yesterday

https://twitter.com/halfcity/status/1042048671569915904?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Bruninga/status/1042066765742829568

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb question: How many of these houses are toast

I know that a flooded car is spare parts at best, how do buildings/houses fare?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

finally

https://twitter.com/halfcity/status/1042048671569915904?s=19

fake, the official is 5 :yooge:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
LMAO, Florence is gonna become a tropical storm again and then hit Europe.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

for real?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Nebakenezzer posted:

They get torn down to the studs at best

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Addamere posted:

for real?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Jose seeking hurricane. Apparently we do have the technology.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

did imgur downsample every hotlinked image?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Bip Roberts posted:

I dunno, imgur sucks now. But there an s in the last 2 days of that storm track

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

twoday posted:

NC really needs to do something about it’s domestic abuse situation

:(

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

No he just linked the thumbnail like a dumbass

Remove the _d from the end of the url to get the full size image

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol wow

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SKULL.GIF posted:

like a dumbass? How dare you diminish my real hard won full dumbassery.

(I don't know how imgur runs their bullshit)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

frankly I'm amazed that weather system survives crossing the appalachians twice

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

turbotoast

at best a strip and rebuild which will cost more than just bulldozing them and constructing a new one

neither option of which 99% of the people pictured can afford

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah but this forecast is 48+ hours old and the call now is for it just to poop out over new england

SO CLOSE guys. america almost channeled a jose-seeking hadouken. a jadouken.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nebakenezzer posted:

depends

3-6ft of water and you'll have to gut the lower floor and re-drywall/wire/insulate everything but the foundation should be ok most of the time along with the structural framing

this also depends on how quickly the water recedes with the faster the better

anything over that and you're looking at foundation damage/shifting or structural framing damage which is a 100% rebuild since that much moving water will literally move mountains

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gringostar posted:

depends

3-6ft of water and you'll have to gut the lower floor and re-drywall/wire/insulate everything but the foundation should be ok most of the time along with the structural framing

this also depends on how quickly the water recedes with the faster the better

anything over that and you're looking at foundation damage/shifting or structural framing damage which is a 100% rebuild since that much moving water will literally move mountains

yepppppp

i've condemned houses from katrina flooding before

the main thing you're looking for is whether the soil underneath the foundation has started to wash away - if you can even see where the bottom of the slab is that's probably no good

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
i don't know the soil makeup of the flooded areas but if it's heavily clay based that's actually really good news as far as saving what they can from houses since clay is the most resilient (aside from bedrock of course) when it comes to soil foundation

if the soil is more sand based entire cities might have to be rebuilt

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ikanreed posted:

She missed Jose, but she's relentless.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just reading through that WP article:

quote:

North Carolina hog farmers also got a break from the Trump administration, which has moved to relax federal regulations on both coal ash ponds and animal waste lagoons over the past year, arguing that Obama-era standards impose too heavy a burden on industry. And in July, the Environmental Protection Agency relaxed 2015 standards for handling the toxic waste generated by burning coal, allowing states to suspend groundwater monitoring in certain cases.

Also looking on the EPA's web site for info about NC superfund sites; it looks like most of them in the state are positioned away from the worst flood zones:

Yellow is a current site, green is a fixed site

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gringostar posted:

i don't know the soil makeup of the flooded areas but if it's heavily clay based that's actually really good news as far as saving what they can from houses since clay is the most resilient (aside from bedrock of course) when it comes to soil foundation

great news, it's mostly very sandy garbage soils east of the piedmont

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gringostar posted:

Sandhill Soil of The Coastal Plain

Loose, gray, and sandy, sandhill soil is commonly found in the Coastal Plain region of North Carolina. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), sandhill soil is typically found in ridges or hills and can range from 10 to 50 feet in depth. Often, the top layer of this soil is bleached white with underlying layers ranging in color from brown to reddish-brown. Because sandhill soil is low in organic matter and very dry, it is not well-suited for agriculture. Naturally-occurring plant growth includes longleaf pine, scrub oak and wiregrass. However, certain types of deep-rooted fruit trees, such as apple and peach, can be cultivated in this soil.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sandhill Soil of The Coastal Plain

Loose, gray, and sandy, sandhill soil is commonly found in the Coastal Plain region of North Carolina. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), sandhill soil is typically found in ridges or hills and can range from 10 to 50 feet in depth. Often, the top layer of this soil is bleached white with underlying layers ranging in color from brown to reddish-brown. Because sandhill soil is low in organic matter and very dry, it is not well-suited for agriculture. Naturally-occurring plant growth includes longleaf pine, scrub oak and wiregrass. However, certain types of deep-rooted fruit trees, such as apple and peach, can be cultivated in this soil.

:lol:

this reads like a profile of the soil that makes up the cliffs of santa monica/malibu

feel free to google how well those hold up during even heavy ca rains of only a few inches

Gringostar has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Sep 18, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gringostar posted:

:lol:

this reads like a profile of sandy loam that makes up the cliffs of santa monica

feel free to google how well those hold up during even heavy rain

I looked up some soil maps for NC and yeah the entire eastern half of the state is soft loamy sand

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

I looked up some soil maps for NC and yeah the entire eastern half of the state is soft loamy sand

sounds like a great place to set up a glass furnace, just need to dig down to magma and we've got an infinite industry

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gringostar posted:

new orleans has some of the worst soil in the whole world to build on, silty stuff that barely has the bearing capacity to hold its own weight. thanks, huge river delta

it's why pier and beam construction is so popular there for houses

since the flooded areas are all coastal plain i'm sure it's not great, probably lots of sand and marsh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

yuck

yeah that flooding is gonna buttfuck all the houses and roads

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
not to mention the floods in 2015 already screwed up an enormous amount of the carolinas border area

the farmers i worked with in Dillon SC got 18 inches of rain that stood on their neighbors fields for almost a month and maybe two weeks on their own plots (because we'd been doing a lot of work to build up infiltration profiles which is very useful, but still...)

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Sep 18, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Christ, I didn't realize Wilmington was over 100,000 people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1042119858656342016?s=19