Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Probably are going to be some alt-right and MRA weeabs that will complain they can't rape people :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tias posted:

Probably are going to be some alt-right and MRA weeabs that will complain they can't rape people :gonk:

No they won't, the modding community has them covered.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly even that is kind of dumb. If you're going to have a German campaign making the guys in it The Good OnesTM who were just fighting for their homeland and weren't down with any of that Nazi BS is not even thinly veiled clean wehrmact bullshit.

If you really want to do a German campaign you would need to actually have people in your immediate surroundings - the squad, platoon, whatever the background cast of people the player interacts with closely are - who are nazis on board with the current political climate and express that in appropriate ways. Have guys who aren't down with the Nazis, but you loving need that indicator that, yeah, normal dudes were into this stuff too. Not just token fanatical Colonel who almost gets the PC killed with some 'not one step backward' bullshit. For bonus points do something like they did in Spec Ops: The Line where you progressively get drawn in, step by step, into ever more sketchy and immoral poo poo. I"m not saying you need the level where you personally shoot a few dozen jews and kick their bodies into mass graves, but it REALLY needs to rise above the usual fare of showing a bunch of German 18 year olds and one grizzled veteran in May of 1945 bemoaning how much that hitler guy hosed their country up. Too much media that does that effectively casts the Germans as victims.

And to that dude, even that was 'rehashing the same safe political narrative'. I straight up asked him what he wanted and he replied Africa 1943. Really daring ground there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A German campaign as a double-agent within Nazi Intelligence, where your goal is to make sure every mission fails as hard as possible, but avoid suspicion.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The tricky part is that games are inherently fun. If you do what a few people in the thread have suggested and accurately portray the player character and his fellow soldiers as enthusiastic Nazis, AND have the game be fun, you've accidentally made a nazi simulator. Getting the balance right isn't easy, and I'm not surprised most developers take the easy way out and steer clear of the Germans doing anything bad in games where players can be Germans, even if it does perpetuate the clean wehrmacht myth.

Spec ops the line had major issues because of this. Nobody is going to stop playing a game they paid for, which undermined the point it was trying to make.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

A German campaign as a double-agent within Nazi Intelligence, where your goal is to make sure every mission fails as hard as possible, but avoid suspicion.

But how would that be any different than a game where you play as German Intel and do your best to succeed? Everyone is still going to drink on you, and if they don't then Hitler ain't gonna listen if it goes against his preconceived notions

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Splode posted:

The tricky part is that games are inherently fun.

This is the crux of the issue. AAA games that cost millions of dollars to make are not an appropriate platform to tell a story from the perspective of Germans in WW2, because to handle it correctly it needs to be decidedly unfun and sobering. You especially cannot tell this story in a military power fantasy action game like Battlefield.

I can totally see how a narrative game from the perspective of a German soldier could be fantastic if it was some kind of indie passion project thing. This War Of Mine comes to mind. But Battlefield is just fundamentally incapable of telling this story because of the format. There's too much money riding on it and there's too much militarism baked into the format.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Splode posted:

Spec ops the line had major issues because of this. Nobody is going to stop playing a game they paid for

I did. Got bored with waiting for the promised deconstruction of the genre to start, which was the only reason I was playing it in the first place. Apparently it was literally five minutes before the big thing happens that really kicks it all off, as well. Don't feel like I'm missing anything, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ChubbyChecker posted:

This is a really strange post that you made.

The joke is those things happen in the film

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:yikes:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's not wrong, though.

FPS Wehraboos are the worst and most fascist-adjacent Wehraboos.

They are and I did pretty much a fist pump seeing no sign of those awful lovely bumper sticker meme quality emblems they had in the previous game with the current beta.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
We need a game where you play as Ferdinand Porsche and make up the zaniest poo poo that Hitler will like and then try to shove as much of it into production as possible before that pesky Speer catches you!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

We need a game where you play as Ferdinand Porsche and make up the zaniest poo poo that Hitler will like and then try to shove as much of it into production as possible before that pesky Speer catches you!

Besiege, but tanks

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

This is the crux of the issue. AAA games that cost millions of dollars to make are not an appropriate platform to tell a story from the perspective of Germans in WW2, because to handle it correctly it needs to be decidedly unfun and sobering. You especially cannot tell this story in a military power fantasy action game like Battlefield.

Just the Germans?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I love battlefield and stuff but I don't want any game where half the playerbase is ready to pipe the Horst Wessel lied through teamspeak to attempt to make an operation Barbarossa game even if their commissar order mini game is on point

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

This isn't archaeology. They say they are looking for soldiers to rebury properly, but they might be treasure hunters. Regardless, they aren't digging with any archaeological intent or methodology and are just destroying whatever archaeological information those sites can offer.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

This would be fantastic

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This discussion is pointless. Don't play games that you don't like but you don't decide what kinds of games other people are allowed to play.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Nenonen posted:

This discussion is pointless.

homie do you know where you are

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

homie do you know where you are
yo this thread is extremely long so if you want to close it i can open another one

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm starting to think video games are not the best way to facilitate complex discussions about morality in history

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

bewbies posted:

i'm starting to think video games are not the best way to facilitate complex discussions about morality in history

STAVKA/OKH is nice tho.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

There's no reason you can't, it's just another form of media, but much like books or films that Take History Seriously it's likely it won't break out to a mass audience.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bewbies posted:

Seriously though, game writers and developers who wanted to try and teach something sort of gave up after the weird controversy over 7 Days and now just want to make money the easiest way.

So how about those muskets?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What is the best way to facilitate complex discussions about morality in history? Twitter?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Car Mechanic Simulator: Ferdinand Porsche Edition.

You get vague requirements and completely unsuitable components to fulfill them with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fangz posted:

What is the best way to facilitate complex discussions about morality in history? Twitter?

I still think a Pop Culture Versus History thread here might work if set up right.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still think a Pop Culture Versus History thread here might work if set up right.

I’d bookmark that, and ask dumb questions in it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Taerkar posted:

My Summer Panther.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously though, game writers and developers who wanted to try and teach something sort of gave up after the weird controversy over 7 Days and now just want to make money the easiest way.

So how about those muskets?

What's 7 Days, and what was the controversy?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tias posted:

What's 7 Days, and what was the controversy?

Bah my memory, It was Six Days in Fallujah not seven.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Red Orchestra 2 had a single player German campaign, but it was so bad/buggy/nobody played it to the point that Tripwire stopped selling the version that came with it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Taerkar posted:

You get vague requirements and completely unsuitable components to fulfill them with.

There was a PC-based wargame - Rule the Waves - where you take the role of a Fisher or Tirpitz-like Grand Admiral. You design your ships, build your fleets, and eventually end up sending them out to war. The game focuses more on budgets, designs, and politics than fighting.

Maybe something like this?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lol CSA, Jan 1900.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The problem is Gamers (a different species from people who play video games) are intensely stupid and reactionary and will complain if you try to write anything like this. If you don't hammer into their head that Nazis Are Bad they'll start singing the Horst Wessellied and complaining that you don't get to turn the tide of the war with your Superior German Uberweapons. And a sizeable portion will complain about that anyway even if you begin the game with a lengthy Richard Evans lecture about how Nazis Are Bad.

Really? Because everybody seems fine with how every game about the Mafia ends with a condemnation of organized crime. Unless you're actively courting wehraboos, there's no reason to worry about what they think, they'll buy the game and play it to death because it's the closest they'll get to their beloved Nazi dream and complain all the while.

What I'd be worried about is if the game's set on the eastern front, they may just go full asiatic hordes/human wave tactics about the soviets to make the Nazis compare favorably.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

There was a PC-based wargame - Rule the Waves - where you take the role of a Fisher or Tirpitz-like Grand Admiral. You design your ships, build your fleets, and eventually end up sending them out to war. The game focuses more on budgets, designs, and politics than fighting.

Maybe something like this?

game owns

i havent had many video game experiences more satisfying than a 50 thousand ton battleship with 12 18" guns blowing up things in 2D overhead view

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

I am genuinely curious if this could be done. Those games like Secret Hitler were just someone's crazy idea at first and then got kickstarted. Need to find someone who knows how to design a game like this. The concept is sound and fun

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

I am genuinely curious if this could be done. Those games like Secret Hitler were just someone's crazy idea at first and then got kickstarted. Need to find someone who knows how to design a game like this. The concept is sound and fun

I'd play it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just reskin the Elon Musk game

https://twitter.com/Freerange_Inc/status/1019206710270087169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I remember an old effort post about how Japanese rule in Manchuria worked hand in glove with organized crime and now all I want is a Yakuza prequel set there in the 30s.